• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
So the story about him taking the notes away from the translator. Remember this at the time crazy story? They might have to dig through this guys shit for evidence.

https://www.businessinsider.com/oma...r-in-oval-office-2018-8?utm_source=reddit.com
vJsGy7y.gif

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I hope the whole report is a life biography of Trump, showing how he's been compromised and witting agent of Russia going back to the days they were the Soviet Union. How this money laundering racist has been committing crimes domestically and abroad at behalf of foreign hostile governments to enrich himself; that the election fuckery wasn't just Trump absentmindedly stumbling into Putin's crosshairs to be used like the idiot he actually is.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Mueller ship don't leak. Wonder where Carl getting that from.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This appears to be a bullshit sensationalist quote pulled out of context. Here is the tweet they're referring to:

"This is about the most serious counterintelligence people we have in the US government saying, 'Oh my god, the President's words and actions lead us to conclude that somehow he has become a witting, unwitting or half-witting pawn...to Vladimir Putin.'"

This is an interpretation of the NYT article, appearing to be commenting on why the counterintelligence investigation was opened in the first place.

EDIT: looks like there's more to the story after all, I stand corrected, a specific quote was actually said.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Mueller ship don't leak. Wonder where Carl getting that from.

I'm thinking we're gonna get a flood of info soon. Between the articles on Friday, and this (since I doubt he's making it up), I think they're beginning to lay the groundwork for worst-case-scenario being true.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This appears to be a bullshit sensationalist quote pulled out of context. Here is the tweet they're referring to:

This is an interpretation of the NYT article, appearing to be commenting on why the counterintelligence investigation was opened in the first place.

That's not where it's coming from. It's here:

""From a point of view of strength… rather, he has done what appears to be Putin's goals. He has helped Putin destabilize the United States and interfere in the election, no matter whether it was purposeful or not," the journalist added. He then explained that he knew from his own high-level sources that Mueller's report would discuss this assessment."

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

Read the next line.

From a point of view of strength… rather, he has done what appears to be Putin's goals. He has helped Putin destabilize the United States and interfere in the election, no matter whether it was purposeful or not," the journalist added. He then explained that he knew from his own high-level sources that Mueller's report would discuss this assessment.

"And that is part of what the draft of Mueller's report, I'm told, is to be about," he said. "We know there has been collusion by [former national security adviser Michael] Flynn. We know there has been collusion of some sort by [Trump's former campaign chairman Paul] Manafort. The question is, yes, what did the president know and when did he know it?"

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018

He has helped Putin destabilize the United States and interfere in the election, no matter whether it was purposeful or not," the journalist added. He then explained that he knew from his own high-level sources that Mueller's report would discuss this assessment.

I can't bold the relevant part because iPhone is a piece of fucking shit, but read the last sentence.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
That's not where it's coming from. It's here:

""From a point of view of strength… rather, he has done what appears to be Putin's goals. He has helped Putin destabilize the United States and interfere in the election, no matter whether it was purposeful or not," the journalist added. He then explained that he knew from his own high-level sources that Mueller's report would discuss this assessment."
I can't bold the relevant part because iPhone is a piece of fucking shit, but read the last sentence.
Read the next line.

From a point of view of strength… rather, he has done what appears to be Putin's goals. He has helped Putin destabilize the United States and interfere in the election, no matter whether it was purposeful or not," the journalist added. He then explained that he knew from his own high-level sources that Mueller's report would discuss this assessment.

"And that is part of what the draft of Mueller's report, I'm told, is to be about," he said. "We know there has been collusion by [former national security adviser Michael] Flynn. We know there has been collusion of some sort by [Trump's former campaign chairman Paul] Manafort. The question is, yes, what did the president know and when did he know it?"
Thanks guys, I edited my post, I thought that's all that was said on the matter, as that's all that was written in the tweet in the article. Talk about burying the lede. I'm surprised this isn't bigger news then.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The link is a a quote from Bernstein giving his opinion about the NYT article.

Let's not freak out, there's really not much else to the quote at the moment.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

At this rate, once all the evidence comes out that the Republicans are just allowing evil to flourish, the Republicans are just a few months away from trying to convince the Supreme Court that Evil is Good, and Good is Evil, therefore the Democrats should be executed and the USA should transition to a bloodline based monarchy with Trump as Emperor.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's not about the article. He says his high level sources support his statement and that the draft report contains that assessment.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the Mueller camp does leak when it benefits the investigation. And I think they're closing in on the final report, so it sorta makes sense for pieces of it to start trickling out.

Chances are if there's a draft people outside the Mueller team have seen it. We don't have any leaks at all at this point coming from the Mueller side. Nothing that has ever been released has needed to come from them.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Is it even finished? The report that is.
I think I read we're supposed to be getting something in Feb, but I don't know if that was a GOP talking point trying to make the investigation seem almost over.

No one knows for sure. Mueller's team doesn't leak very much at all, and the grand jury for the Mueller investigation was just extended by another 6 months.

It will be ready when it's ready.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I get it and I want this to get wrapped up as much as anyone, but if the President Of The United Sates is truly about to be accused/charged with being a Russian operative, they need to make damn sure every duck on the planet is in a perfect row.

True. Unfortuately it's like the modern Playstation rubber ducky tech demo. There is so much to uncover but should be an epic takedown.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
WHat's the issue with Bernstein or that article specifically?

I recall reading quite a bit of sensationalism about trump from him over the past couple of years, and I really doubt he has sources telling him this that journalists at the big orgs don't have.

Nothing with the article in particular, but Newsweek's quality has really taken a nosedive over the last few years.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I recall reading quite a bit of sensationalism about trump from him over the past couple of years, and I really doubt he has sources telling him this that journalists at the big orgs don't have.

Nothing with the article in particular, but Newsweek's quality has really taken a nosedive over the last few years.

You doubt that Carl Bernstein has sources other journalists don't? Why?

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
You doubt that Carl Bernstein has sources other journalists don't? Why?

Just because he was great in the 70s doesn't mean he's still hooked in.

He also co-wrote that shaky article from CNN on Cohen telling investigators Trump knew of the 2016 meeting, so, eh. I'll wait until WaPo or NYT picks this up (and I want nothing more than it to be right).

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
If the Intelligence community doesn't nail Trump to the cross for doing this, every GOP Presidential candidate will go to Russia for help moving forward. What would stop them?

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just because he was great in the 70s doesn't mean he's still hooked in.

He also co-wrote that shaky article from CNN on Cohen telling investigators Trump knew of the 2016 meeting, so, eh. I'll wait until WaPo or NYT picks this up (and I want nothing more than it to be right).

When was that story retracted?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We already knew that we don't have constitutional tools to remedy this - and the GOP has shown how utterly toothless the 25th is when the rot is deep. The real solution is:

1. Party presidential and independent nominees should have to submit to a background check and full financial disclosure.

That's it. That would have stopped Trump, is a normal and common employment measure and I'd actually advocate for mental health, literacy and competency tests too, but people would whine about that and use disingenuous comparisons (like poll taxes and literacy tests for voters).

The presidency is not the vote. There are other more arbitrary restrictions, like age or place of birth.

There is no defensible reason to obect to the bolded and it should be made a matter of law. If parties were smarty, they'd adopt this for the inintial primary candidates. That way we don't expose our country to people with something to hide. And arguably congresspeople and senators should have to do this too.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
The Newsweek thing is still sensationalized. Bernstein says "Everyone can see that he hasn't acted with Russia from the United States having a strength advantage with Russia, rather he's done what appears to be Putin's goals....whether it's purposeful or not, and that's part of what the draft of Mueller's report will be about, what fits hand in glove is both the coverup and the possibility, likelihood of collusion... The question is, yes, what did the president know and when did he know it, but also it could be unwitting, half-witting, that's what we're going to find out".

if Bernstein had a big scoop he'd write an article about not, not just throw it out offhandedly while talking about NYT/WaPo stories with Brian Stelter.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure it was, I just remember Davis coming out as a source and then him saying afterwards that that was wrong. CNN still stands by the article, but shit, I dunno. If it's true it's a bombshell, if not, fuck Lanny.

Not that it was wrong, but that he couldn't confirm it.

The Newsweek thing is still sensationalized. Bernstein says "Everyone can see that he hasn't acted with Russia from the United States having a strength advantage with Russia, rather he's done what appears to be Putin's goals....whether it's purposeful or not, and that's part of what the draft of Mueller's report will be about, what fits hand in glove is both the coverup and the possibility, likelihood of collusion... The question is, yes, what did the president know and when did he know it, but also it could be unwitting, half-witting, that's what we're going to find out".

if Bernstein had a big scoop he'd write an article about not, not just throw it out offhandedly while talking about NYT/WaPo stories with Brian Stelter.

You left out the relevant part of the quote:

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Not that it was wrong, but that he couldn't confirm it.

You left out the relevant part of the quote:

Yeah, did you listen to the clip? He's saying we have all seen Trump do a lot of shit that served to benefit Putin and Mueller's report will discuss whether it was done wittingly or unwittingly. He never said "Mueller's report will discuss this assessment" or anything that directly says Mueller's office agrees with Bernstein's assertion that Trump has helped Putin destabilize the US, and in context it mostly sounds like he's saying the report will cover "collusion", whether Trump was knowingly doing things to help Russia, perhaps stuff like why Trump was so weird in Helsinki, in addition to obstruction.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, did you listen to the clip? He's saying we have all seen Trump do a lot of shit that served to benefit Putin and Mueller's report will discuss whether it was done wittingly or unwittingly. He never said "Mueller's report will discuss this assessment" or anything that directly says Mueller's office agrees with Bernstein's assertion that Trump has helped Putin destabilize the US, and in context it mostly sounds like he's saying the report will cover "collusion", whether Trump was knowingly doing things to help Russia, perhaps stuff like why Trump was so weird in Helsinki, in addition to obstruction.

In the clip, after saying ""From a point of view of strength… rather, he has done what appears to be Putin's goals. He has helped Putin destabilize the United States and interfere in the election, no matter whether it was purposeful or not," he continues with "...and that is part of what the draft of Mueller's report, I'm told, is to be about." He talking about destabilizing and interfering in the election.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
In the clip, after saying ""From a point of view of strength… rather, he has done what appears to be Putin's goals. He has helped Putin destabilize the United States and interfere in the election, no matter whether it was purposeful or not," he continues with "...and that is part of what the draft of Mueller's report, I'm told, is to be about." He talking about destabilizing and interfering in the election.
Yeah, part of Mueller's report will be about the actions by Trump that Bernstein believes helped Putin interfere in the election and destabilize the US. Do you think it's a bombshell that Mueller's report would cover whether Trump was intending to help Putin by, say, repeatedly denying that Russia hacked the DNC or if he was simply unwittingly helping Putin because he didn't want to diminish the power of his electoral victory? Because afaict that's all Bernstein is really saying here. Again, if this was a major thing Bernstein would write a story about it, not just drop it on Reliable Sources so Newsweek could run with his scoop.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, part of Mueller's report will be about the actions by Trump that Bernstein believes helped Putin interfere in the election and destabilize the US. Do you think it's a bombshell that Mueller's report would cover whether Trump was intending to help Putin by, say, repeatedly denying that Russia hacked the DNC or if he was simply unwittingly helping Putin because he didn't want to diminish the power of his electoral victory? Because afaict that's all Bernstein is really saying here. Again, if this was a major thing Bernstein would write a story about it, not just drop it on Reliable Sources so Newsweek could run with his scoop.

The article's headline is "Mueller Draft Report Says Trump 'Helped Putin Destabilize the United States', Watergate Journalist Says". The report claiming that regardless of Trump doing so knowingly or not is important. The article doesn't overstate it and isn't sensationalizing anything.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
The article's headline is "Mueller Draft Report Says Trump 'Helped Putin Destabilize the United States', Watergate Journalist Says". The report claiming that regardless of Trump doing so knowingly or not is important. The article doesn't overstate it and isn't sensationalizing anything.
Newsweek's clickbait headline isn't evidence of anything. Bernstein doesn't say that in the clip.