• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WASHINGTON — There are few things that President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia desires more than the weakening of NATO, the military alliance among the United States, Europe and Canada that has deterred Soviet and Russian aggression for 70 years.
Last year, President Trump suggested a move tantamount to destroying NATO: the withdrawal of the United States.

Continued...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/14/us/politics/nato-president-trump.html

GOP probably just going to go with the "concerned" route.

Apologies if old.

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this should be enough alone for his removal from office, whether forcibly or not. fuck him and fuck his supporters and fuck the spineless gop risking national (and world) security to appease this russian stooge

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean didn't he literally say he might do this during the campaign? Why act shocked. Blame Republican voters.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean didn't he literally say he might do this during the campaign? Why act shocked. Blame Republican voters.

If he did, a lot of Republicans voters said, "he's not serious with that."

And based on this, and from what I remember, he never called for leaving nato, just that other countries needed to pay more and that it was obsolete. Which yes, are both also Russian talking points.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-nato-past-comments/

Just because he's been a lunatic Russian stooge in the past doesn't mean we should just shrug when he keeps doing it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I can only hope one day the story will come out about all his shady dealings. The piece of garbage that was willing to ruin everything for money.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Of course, another thing that Russia would like very much.
But he ain't working for Russia though. No siree

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I would like to think that would be the final straw for republicans, but I know I'd be wrong.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The entirety of the Republican party are complicit in this. The destruction of United States democracy and global influence might as well be a party directive.
It's so fucked up but I know this is the truth :(

Everything will come out and history won't be kind to Trump as well as all the factors and people that got him elected.
I pray you're right. I just want this to happen asap.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Joe you may want to tone that back.

It's true, a NATO without the US will lead to war. The survival of the Baltics, Poland, the Czech Republic, etc. would be in danger. NATO is THE most important stabilizing force for peace in the world.

A world without it would be much more dangerous and frightening than the one we live in now.

Last edited:

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
This shouldn't be surprising; he was saying this during the 2016 campaign.

Don't miss out on these little beauties from the article, though:

Then, at another leaders gathering at the same summit meeting, Mr. Trump appeared to be taken by surprise by Jens Stoltenberg, the NATO secretary general.

Backing Mr. Trump's position, Mr. Stoltenberg pushed allies to increase their spending and praised the United States for leading by example — including by increasing its military spending in Europe. At that, according to one official who was in the room, Mr. Trump whipped his head around and glared at American officials behind him, surprised by Mr. Stoltenberg's remarks and betraying ignorance of his administration's own spending plans.

Mr. Trump's skepticism of NATO appears to be a core belief, administration officials said, akin to his desire to expropriate Iraq's oil. While officials have explained multiple times why the United States cannot take Iraq's oil, Mr. Trump returns to the issue every few months.

As usual, he has no idea what the fuck he's doing.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing to see my mom now supports this just because Trump does. If anyone else had done it she would have screamed bloody murder.
Trumpies are just a cult, and it's painful to see your mom get influenced by it, and worse that they think you're the one in a cult.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Anyone who supports this clearly doesn't have US best interest in mind. If you are a Trump supporter and want a stronger America you should know leaving NATO would make you weaker.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This shouldn't be surprising; he was saying this during the 2016 campaign.

Don't miss out on these little beauties from the article, though:

As usual, he has no idea what the fuck he's doing.

That doesn't tell me he has no idea what he's doing. It tells me the one constant has been a pro-Russian agenda, and he's rapidly getting rid of everyone who's actively been preventing him from implementing that agenda.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I hear you. I just wouldn't be saying that on the internet.

I don't think it's true, Trump is deeply ignorant but he would be putting his life at risk if he pulled the US out of NATO. There are people still in his orbit that are smart enough to realize this and make him see reason.

I don't think it was wise of the NYTimes to publish this article. There's already too much instability and this will just make things worse.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Even if he orders a withdrawl from NATO, the US must remain a member for a year after notice is given. That gives congress and the senate time to intervene.

And theoretically if the US does end up withdrawing, NATO members would only need to wait a year before the next president enters the US back into the alliance.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Even if he orders a withdrawl from NATO, the US must remain a member for a year after notice is given. That gives congress and the senate time to intervene.

And theoretically if the US does end up withdrawing, NATO members would only need to wait a year before the next president enters the US back into the alliance.
You can annex a lot of land in a year.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
It's true, a NATO without the US will lead to war. The survival of the Baltics, Poland, the Czech Republic, etc. would be in danger. NATO is THE most important stabilizing force for peace in the world.

A world without it would be much more dangerous and frightening than the one we live in now.

Agreed. Trump is greatly increasing the odds of a major conflict. He's also diminishing the influence of the United States throughout the world.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't much new info. Trump said this at the time, or maybe said he was "considering it" or whatever. And he should've been removed from office immediately. So, you know, just another day in America.