• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sorry, I wrote off whatever minority percent voted for Trump.

They were a minority. They lucked out with the EC.

I'm working to energize the people I know still have a brain left to understand the danger. To clarify - this means volunteering weekends and some weeknights to make rote fucking phone calls and talk to people. Best I can do in my blue county and state.

This is also active which is what matters.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I haven't followed the investigations and whatnot intimately, but are the revelations that happened this week the most damning yet?

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I have to wonder where the tipping point is for the GOP with Trump. Like surely they've all thought about the fact that they could easily impeach Trump and then just prop up Pence to be a figurehead who would stamp anything they put across his desk. He's way more pliable than Trump.

Like honestly throughout this whole scandal I don't think I ever see Pence being brought up anywhere close to any of this. They could get rid of Trump and have a 100% clean puppet of their own to play with.
The only instance in which they turn on him is a situation where they conclude that the immense damage that would occur from impeaching their own party's president and having him removed from office is less than the damage that would occur from him finishing his term.
I'm struggling to see such a situation even if he's in deep shit from the Russian investigation because it's hard to calculate how damaging said impeachment and removal would be. Their whole base would be hugely depressed in voting, and confidence/opinion of them would plummet to historical lows not seen since Nixon. The GOP and Pence would be obliterated in the Presidential and Congress elections of 2020, and lose all control of redistricting in the new decade's first Congress, leading to them losing their gerrymander advantage that has kept them in power even as demographics and voters fall away from them.

I mean it's possible they get savaged in 2020 anyway even if Trump finishes his term, it's probably a lose-lose situation, entirely of their own making.

Oct 25, 2017

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Republicans will never impeach Trump because most are more in danger of being primaried than being beaten by a Dem in a competitive election.

Jan 18, 2018
I'm pretty sure politics isn't a default subreddit. When I go on secret mode, they don't show up. Pretty sure you have to add it yourself with an account.

I know it used to be.

Correct:

Reddit admin simbawulf didn't specify exactly which subreddits that entailed, but gave some examples of the kind of communities that got regularly removed, including "subreddits that are large and dedicated to specific games, as well as "specific sports, and narrowly focused politically related subreddits."

https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/15/14632390/reddit-front-page-popular-change-new-users

/politics is US-focused, so its considered narrow.

In reality, the admins are far-right shitheads.

Oct 25, 2017

Since his little Putin meeting he's had to "clarify" his comments that no one is buying. Dems and some GOP members have called him out on this. Today he literally said he'd let Russia interview American citizens they didn't like. IT's been a shitshow for him since that meeting. He hasn't gotten any good press out of it and we are nearing thursday and this bombshell drops.

Lurkyseas

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
After all of this is said & done, even if Trump & his family doesn't face any criminal charges & doesn't go to prison once Trump is out of office, him & his family are Infamous. For. Life.

They will never, ever be able to live in peace after all of this shit, no matter where they run off to or even still stay in NYC & will be scrutinized & scolded by the public each & every day. And deservedly so.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
So in the face of hard evidence, will Glenn Greenwald and certain other 'leftists' continue to downplay that Russia is an active threat to elections and systems of other countries? And also that the GOP as a whole is complicit in it?

Post Trump the western world needs to go full cold war on the Russian ogliarchy in terms of economic punishment and also heavily invest in cybersecurity.

Come on. Seriously what the fuck is this shit? This is not at all what Greenwald is saying, and your last sentence essentially backs him and many others up. Escalating tensions for what? Because some shitty country hacked the emails of a political party and might have had an impact on an some people who were probably never going to vote for Clinton anyway? There is so much more active real shit going on in this country that would explain how the Democrats lost that election. Racism, sexism, gerrymandering, poor campaigning, prior fuck ups in governance etc. By all means try to ensure the elections are safe, but to turn this into a fucking war with words like attack? Give me a break. The "leftists" you speak of don't elevate Russia to the level you would like because they have been pointing out the terrible shit America has done in influencing elections for decades and no one seemed to care, they have bee pointing out the huge wealth gap and no one in power who can really do anything about it seems to care, for profit prisons and no one cares, racist police and no one cares, climate change and no one cares, no. one.fucking.cares, and now because this fraud comes to power all people can talk about is Russia and they expect "the left" to fully jump on board. I've got news for you. Getting rid of Trump won't do shit if Republicans still have majority power. We would be lucky for any serious attempt to made at fixing these issues with a Dem either.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm pretty sure politics isn't a default subreddit. When I go on secret mode, they don't show up. Pretty sure you have to add it yourself with an account.

I know it used to be.
There are no default subs anymore actually, not for like 2 years now. If you use "popular" on the front page you won't see it, if you sort the front page by anything else (like "all") you will. Reddit's algorithm only includes subs on "popular" that a lot of people haven't filtered out, there was a massive campaign by T_D to filter /r/politics so they would be hidden, and it worked. That's also why you don't see stuff from other big subs like /r/leagueoflegends, because a lot of users filtered them so reddit does not include them in that sorting.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since his little Putin meeting he's had to "clarify" his comments that no one is buying. Dems and some GOP members have called him out on this. Today he literally said he'd let Russia interview American citizens they didn't like. IT's been a shitshow for him since that meeting. He hasn't gotten any good press out of it and we are nearing thursday and this bombshell drops.
Republicans in Congress are the only ones that can do anything and they are ride or die with Trump. Nothing is happening to him.

Oct 25, 2017
This is so fucked up. And sorry I know this isn't constructive, but I'm just picturing Hillary watching how Trump has publicly handled all of this, while lounging with some wine on the couch and cackling.

Oct 25, 2017
There are no default subs anymore actually, not for like 2 years now. If you use "popular" on the front page you won't see it, if you sort the front page by anything else (like "all") you will. Reddit's algorithm only includes subs on "popular" that a lot of people haven't filtered out, there was a massive campaign by T_D to filter /r/politics so they would be hidden, and it worked. That's also why you don't see stuff from other big subs like /r/leagueoflegends, because a lot of users filtered them so reddit does not include them in that sorting.

Yeah, your post and eskimo had me look in to it more, but considering world news shows up on the front page (anyone just going reddit.com), that makes it more valuable.

Up to 20 gold. Sweet Christmas. Have I ever seen something more gilded?

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Now up to 51k points and 16 gold on reddit in under 2 hours this late at night.

Phew.
tenor.gif

As someone who doesn't use reddit, what does this mean?

Lurkyseas

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
Republicans will never impeach Trump because most are more in danger of being primaried than being beaten by a Dem in a competitive election.

Republicans in Congress are the only ones that can do anything and they are ride or die with Trump. Nothing is happening to him.

They ought to be more worried about losing their seats to millions of people voting Democrat in the upcoming election. Them not getting rid of Trump at this point will greatly ensure that the Democrats will not only get the House, but the Senate as well.

Jan 18, 2018

In addition, if your account was created before the changes, it defaults to whatever was true then.

One of my accounts still has adviceanimals as a subscription because at the time, it was a default.

So you may have politics subscribed through no action of your own if your account dates to that era

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I haven't followed the investigations and whatnot intimately, but are the revelations that happened this week the most damning yet?

They're moving from hints and insinuations to specificity. Back when respect for the law was a thing, the common refrain was, "What did he know, and when did he know it?" and that question, in relation to Putin's involvement and specific actions that were undertaken by the Russians against the US, were relayed to 45 before he was inaugurated.

It also implicitly suggests that the sources for this information were compromised (again, likely by 45 telling Putin) and are likely dead or disappeared, as these details wouldn't have been leaked to NYT if the sources were still "safe".

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They ought to be more worried about losing their seats to millions of people voting Democrat in the upcoming election. Them not getting rid of Trump at this point will greatly ensure that the Democrats will not only get the House, but the Senate as well.
The same happens if they impeach Trump. Their only hope is holding onto Trump's base which will support him no matter what.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who doesn't use reddit, what does this mean?

It means that as of right now 20 people thought this was important enough to spend real life money to help promote that post on reddit. That's a huge amount. Usually a post is incredibly lucky to get one.

The 50k (Now 65k) upvote score means that many (and more because some 20% is trying to vote it down) people voted that this story was important. That's a lot of votes for such a short time. Most popular threads usually get around 50k votes total. It's rare to see an upwards of 100k votes period and this will probably get there fast.

Basically, people are going nuts for this story. It's big news.

Edit: up to 24 gold

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It means that as of right now 20 people thought this was important enough to spend real life money to help promote that post on reddit. That's a huge amount. Usually a post is incredibly lucky to get one.

The 50k (Now 65k) upvote score means that many (and more because some 20% is trying to vote it down) people voted that this story was important. That's a lot of votes for such a short time. Most popular threads usually get around 50k votes total. It's rare to see an upwards of 100k votes period and this will probably get there fast.

Wow ok, that's actually good to hear. Thanks for the explanation!

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well we see how far racism gets you in the USA. People would vote for a Russian asset to keep minorities down.

When you are red-blooded, American racist, there's really not much else that can Trump that.

If you sort by new, about 60% of the posts are "fake news" "who cares" "why did Obama allow this" etc

All bots on deck

Will only get worse unless our actual government realizes that social media is a forum for war. Goddamnit they are so out of touch.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
In addition, if your account was created before the changes, it defaults to whatever was true then.

One of my accounts still has adviceanimals as a subscription because at the time, it was a default.

So you may have politics subscribed through no action of your own if your account dates to that era
Interesting, I actually did not know that!
If you sort by new, about 60% of the posts are "fake news" "who cares" "why did Obama allow this" etc

All bots on deck
There are def some bots, unfortunately the majority are probably idiot humans who really believe what they say, that's even worse than bots

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
When you are red-blooded, American racist, there's really not much else that can Trump that.

Will only get worse unless our actual government realizes that social media is a forum for war. Goddamnit they are so out of touch.
They realize it, it's just that the ones that care don't have the power.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

All bots on deck

Yep. Did a quick refresh sorted by new and saw So when Obama was president? and So during Obama presidency within seconds of each other.

Both got downvoted into oblivion in about a minute though. Womp womp, bots.

edit: oh god they're still trotting out Hillary and goddamn uranium

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I don't care who you are, how you lean politically, or whatever fucked up things you may or may not believe; there's no way anyone can say that Donald Trump is not a traitorous fuck to the entire nation.
Still better than Hillary/we had no way of knowing/Russia could have been an ally/this wouldn't be happening if libs didn't alienate conservatives/deep state

Take your pick. Mix and match if you want!

Bernd Lauert

Banned
May 27, 2018

Edit: up to 24 gold

I feel stupid quoting myself but I'd still like to have some clarification here because I feel like I'm missing something.

I'm still trying to figure out how this is news, since we've known for 1.5 years now that he's been briefed on this stuff before his inauguration. Maybe I'm missing something here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o_Lx4N2dCM

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I'm glad things are unraveling, I really hope that the progress that's been made will result in his impeachment/indictment.

He'll never be impeached/indicted. He may be impeached if the Democrats take the House, but if they don't have the Senate, nothing will come of it. But the mainstream Democrats are political animals just like the Republicans. They won't impeach him because he's good for their business (fund raising, keeping the base energized, self-promotion), and having a wild card like 45 around allows them to grandstand and look good (see Republicans when Obama was president).

What they'll do is hold hearings, call people to testify, and milk this out for all that it's worth. Because if they were to actually successfully impeach and convict him in the Senate, there'll be a massive cathartic release once Pence takes over and a general feeling on the part of the public for it to all be over and move on.

The only scenario where I see 45 being impeached is if he wins re-election, the Dems are in control of the House and it's late in 45's term, so they can use it to their advantage in the 2024 election (see Republicans and Bill Clinton in the '90s).

Soul Unison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"...Trump is not a Russian asset. Russia did not "hack the election." The Intelligence Community did not say Russia had any effect on the election, and they certainly didn't get Trump elected."

This is a direct quote from a user on Reddit's /r/Conservative, and their current and ongoing narrative.
Apparently their strategy at this point is to simply gaslight against reality, ban anyone who tries to discuss the truth, and encourage their readers to only trust them and their affiliate for news coverage.

Jan 18, 2018
There are def some bots, unfortunately the majority are probably idiot humans who really believe what they say, that's even worse than bots

The politics thread is at
387 comments
3,032 points
(99% upvoted)

in 3 hours

The worldnews thread is at

5554 comments
73,965 points
(80% upvoted)

In 2 hours

It isn't passing the smell test. For reference, the number 2 world news thread has 22,000 votes in 9 hours. The number 1 politics thread has 29,477 votes in 4 hours.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
I feel stupid quoting myself but I'd still like to have some clarification here because I feel like I'm missing something.

My memory is foggy, was it confirmed by a legitimate source that Putin directly made the order? Earlier, I mean. The news here would be that Donald has blatantly lied about that repeatedly and the timing of this source coming out is critical. That's why it's news.

Jan 18, 2018

Back in 2017, it was:

"They believe Putin ordered"

Now its "we have emails from top generals and someone next to Putin at the top confirming that Putin personally ordered the attack"

AKA: Concrete proof. The receipts.

In addition, this directly contradicts everything Trump has said this week, such as "it could have been anyone"

So timing on top of it