• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
*EDIT*: Considered obscure today. Not when they came out. A lot of people actually don't know about most of these titles in 2017, for all the "well, actually…" people.

This is all from me waking up today wishing I could play the SHINOBI game SEGA made for PS2 way back when.

271slash.gif

source.gif

1456876356935.gif

The studio that made this was shuttered in 2004 by SEGA. I know there was a DS version later but that was more like the retro versions not the 3D ones. But I guess it's a microcosm of me missing the mid-tier gaming space. Today it's mostly just AAA or indie. Very few in-between.
What are some mid-tier titles you'd like to see get some love? (Okami's recent remaster is something like this, though it had been remastered for PS3)

Last edited:

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
You got Shinobi then I'll vouch for Tenchu. Some one help me with pics, I'm on mobile.

The stealth, the challenges, the cool ninja kills and bunch of ninja tools like fire crackers as distractions.
Directional stealth kills, environmental kills, no kill runs, no detection runs etc. I think the real challenge in making it fun comes from level design and AI implementation.

Imagine a modern Tenchu with a selection of characters, skills, tools and an editor for maps and missions created by other users.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I still think the Jet Set Radio ended far too soon and has a lot to offer us in the current gaming market. Similarly, I think Sega's Shining Force series is ripe for a time like now with Fire Emblem and Valkyria going incredibly strong and decently well, respectively.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Onimusha is not that obscure but the series got like 6 games.... and it died.... for no reason. I would like a revival !

Jethrin

Oct 25, 2017
The Hunter games (Hunter: The Reckoning, Hunter: Redeemer, Hunter: Wayward)

Not the best buy I always had fun with those .

Deleted member 26535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Shinobi is not an obscure series.

My choice is Giftpia, but it is a lone game, not a series.

Perhaps, Kuru Kuru Kururin then.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
Gargoyle's Quest / Demon's Crest was such a charming platformer series, the last one being great send-off to SNES. Would like to see Capcom would greenlight the revival of Firebrand's adventure, like they did with Bionic Commando and Strider.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Croc, de Blob, Kororinpa, and Ribbit King all deserve third installments.

It's a crime that Soul Bubbles and Opoona never got sequels.

Bashful Trey

Oct 27, 2017
Houston TX
Grandia.

It's not obscure but Grandia 2 is such a pleasant, distant memory.

Last mainline was 12 years ago, and Grandia Online was 2009 and was never heard of by anyone.

Also, Skies of Arcadia.

(and Chrono Cross...)

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Give me a bigger set of moves using the combo system and more magic to capture, and I would be down for this returning

30634-legend-of-legaia-playstation-front-cover.jpg

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I post this in every thread like this, but please Sony, bring back Legend of Legaia.
gfs_27924_2_236.jpg

Edit: Dammit.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Panzer Dragoon, the third one PD Saga was a masterpiece and considering how popular dark fantasy is in video games at the moment, it seemed ahead of its time.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
*inserts Shinobi PS2 disc*
If you'd like some more of that Shinobi action, you could always try and find Nightshade on PS2, OP. A lot of people don't seem to know about that one... mind you it's not nearly as good as the first one, but it's worth a playthrough if you're a fan.

As for me...

4449_front.jpg

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I have a real soft spot for Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon on the N64 for its innate weirdness and tongue-in-cheek humor. My understanding is that Konami made a weird self-serious reboot around the PS2 launch and it bombed hard, basically dooming the franchise. It would be nice to see them try that series again, but with Konami being the way they are these days, it probably won't happen.

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
Is Custom Robo getting to an "obscure" status yet? I'd love another entry like the one on GameCube. I found it really enjoyable to play and really dug the goofy characterizations. I've never played the later DS entry but I remember reading that it didn't quite hit the same highs.

Most of these games aren't obscure at all

On the bright side, you showed everyone here and listed an actually obscure game.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ITT People who don't know what obscure means.

Obscure: Faselei

Faselei! (ファーゼライ!) is a tactical role-playing developed by Sacnoth and released by SNK for the Neo Geo Pocket Color. It was first available in the Japanese market on December 22, 1999. The game is one of the few Neo Geo Pocket titles to include a vocalized theme song in the game. It was localized for its European release.

Faselei! was one of the most popular, and technically impressive games for the portable system. Its timing was unfortunate and the game was released just weeks before the Neo Geo Pocket Color and associated stock was recalled after SNK's bankruptcy. Outside of Japan, the game was only released in the United Kingdom in 'clamshell' case format during the lifespan of the NGPC as a viable system. The package of the game Faselei! remains mostly exclusive to Japan.

Neo Geo fan sites and eBay sellers put the number of copies released into circulation at about 10,000 with only 5000 being sold due to the recall. This rarity, along with its technical superiority in terms of graphics and sound when compared to its peers on the same system, has made the game very sought after and has resulted in high prices on internet auction sites.

Non-Obscure returns I want: River City Ransom, Mystical Ninja Goemon, Front Mission, Jet Set Radio

Nov 15, 2017
I want to see another Katamari game.

I want to see a reimagining of The Guardian Legend.

I want to see a sequel to Puzznic.

masaa

Oct 27, 2017
France
I liked North and South a lot as a kid. Not sure what form it would come back in, though.

But it was great.

56464-North_&_South_(USA)-1491184629-thumb.png

maxresdefault.jpg
Damn, this made me nostalgia'd hard.

Kirby's pretty popular, but I'd like to see a new Kirby's Dream Course specifically and see what they could do with new power ups.
Wouldn't mind a new Pandora's Tower either. Loved the chain mechanic.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
MysticalNinjaStarringGoemon.jpg

The Ganbare Goemon series. Every game that's ever made it to the west has been phenomenal. The two N64 games are some of my most treasured memories of that console. The last true game in the series came out in 2005 on the DS, which I heard was pretty good though it was very Japanese heavy and difficult for a non-speaker to play. He's basically only been used as a pachinko machine mascot ever since, though even the last time he was seen in that context was 2011. He did get included as a Bomberman Switch costume in a very recent update, however.

Unfortunately he's a Konami property, and it's very likely we'll never see another Goemon game again. Which is a damn shame, because his games are a goofy-ass, robot-punchin', coin-collectin' good time.

Nov 2, 2017
Mick and Mac's Global Gladiators:

Genesis version is one of the best licensed games no one's ever heard of. The Bonus Stage concept was amazing (as was typical of Virgin Games' games at the time, but this was their best one yet) and it also has one of the best, most memorable soundtracks ever as well.

Not technically a series but any chance I can get to shoehorn this game into a thread, I will.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Laura Bow. Just great little adventure series with fun plots, clever puzzles and amazing atmosphere.
pic1.JPG

lol8asa5.jpg

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Baten Kaitos, even some port of the previous two games would make me happy at this point.

HECK YEAH. Monolithsoft, get offa this Xenocrap and give me the continuing adventures of Sagi, Milly and Guillo. Do a story set in-between Origins and 1, and have it keep the Origins amazing battle system.

MysticalNinjaStarringGoemon.jpg

The Ganbare Goemon series. Every game that's ever made it to the west has been phenomenal. The two N64 games are some of my most treasured memories of that console. The last true game in the series came out in 2005 on the DS, which I heard was pretty good though it was very Japanese heavy and difficult for a non-speaker to play. He's basically only been used as a pachinko machine mascot ever since, though even the last time he was seen in that context was 2011. He did get included as a Bomberman Switch costume in a very recent update, however.

Unfortunately he's a Konami property, and it's very likely we'll never see another Goemon game again. Which is a damn shame, because his games are a goofy-ass, robot-punchin', coin-collectin' good time.

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is the definition of a gem. It wasn't perfect, and I have no idea how well it aged but I was blown away by the quality of that game as a kid.