• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Shadowhearts, Wild Arms or Dark Cloud.
From most obscure to least obscure.
But would love to have follow ups to any of these.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Keio Flying Squadron, El Viento, Cotton, Popful Mail and I guess Fighting Vipers because that seems obscure enough now.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Shinobi and Tenchu are so irrelevant now that people consider them obscure.

Saturday Night Slam Master / Muscle Bomber would be my choice. Such a great cast of characters designed by Fist of the North Star's Tetsou Hara.

The game takes place in the Street Fighter / Final Fight universe and Haggar himself appears as a guest character. It'd be awesome to have Zangief, Alex and other SF grapplers appear in a series revival.

10009901.jpg

ladies

Oct 25, 2017
The Maximo games could be good as a returning mid tier franchise. Although I guess if you want more name recognition, they can just insert Arthur.

edit: I think a Maximo/GnG with roguelike elements would be interesting.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7217

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Klonoa. Then again, considering that a movie's in the works, I guess you could technically say it's coming back.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Bringing back the Warship Gunner franchise would be great, because now there's all sorts of new parts and weapons they can stick in there, like radar signature reducing superstructures, point defense lasers, UAV spotters, and of course, big ass railguns.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
We should really have a new Phantom Dust by now.

The free release for Xbox and W10 was a good start, but there is just too much potential for a successful service-based game there that I feel is being wasted.

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
Kya: Dark Lineage. It's only one game so not a series, but the ending totally says "continued in part 2" or something and we never got it, and now I think Eden Games is gone?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
10,000 times I've said it, and 10,000 more will I say it until it comes back.

220px-Crbox.jpg

Custom. Robo.

Oct 27, 2017
Give me a Jade Cocoon 3.

Right fucking now. The first one was incredible. Second one was fun, but not nearly as good or as atmospheric as the first.

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
Main series is far from obscure obviously, but I thought Metal Gear Acid deserved to continue as a side series or at least to get ported off the PSP.

Vlaphor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
Steambot Chronicles for the PS2 is probably my favorite game on that platform. There were a couple of spinoffs for the PSP, one being a version of the board game "Blokus", but with characters from Steambot Chronicle providing commentary and the other being a smaller take on Steambot Chronicles that I really liked. Still, the PS3 game was cancelled following the Japan Tsunami of 2011 and while we are seeing two new Disaster Report games, I doubt Steambot Chronicles will ever return.

Splatterpunk

Nov 3, 2017
Shinobi and Tenchu are good mentions, but not all that obscure? More just mid tier. Obscure: the Aftermath is great one actually.

As long as we're talking PS2, personally I'd mention Ring of Red, a Konami developed game featuring input from Yukio Futatsagi (director of the Saturn Panzer Dragoon games and Phantom Dust).

US_boxcover.jpg

It's a retro alternate history WWII turn based strategy RPG with mecha straight outta an Ashley Woods painting. It's not the most visually inspiring or riveting game ever exactly, but I had fun with it, and I think a smaller studio could really make a great downloadable title with this. Keep the core mechanics, have a better written story /characters, add some visual flair by leaning in hard to the alternate world war setting.. could be great.

Hopping_Mad

User banned for use of alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Australia
Choro Q series.

Whether its an adventure game with racing (Road Trip for the PS2) or arcade racer with crazy tracks (Gadget Racers for PS2) the series was always trying something new and there was more hits than misses.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
tumblr_op48w6x0PW1qgckmbo6_500.gif

This is MFW there has never been a pandemic level quality DAH game since 2

tumblr_mtarbfcowo1sidyepo1_400.gif

100s of hours, mulitple playthroughs, a couple 100% runs. Destroy All Humans 2 is the pinnacle of sandbox arcade shooters. Maybe Insomniac could do it, maybe..

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I really like Magic Pengel and Graffiti Kingdom where you could create your own creatures/characters for battling in the former, and in the latter exploring dungeons and platforming. EDIT: Forgot to mention I want this series of sorts to return!

An example of a work by raimondx of GameFAQs, where I found this image on Google Search:

uvs100910-002fqy1o.jpg

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The Soul Blazer games - particularly the ones that weren't named Soul Blazer - were before their time. They need a revival. Actually, all the premerger Enix stuff. Bring back EVO and Brain Lord.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was recently playing Strike Suit Zero and Strike Vector and it made me wish for Sony to create a single spiritual successor to Warhawk and Colony Wars. It'd be an amalgam of a number of games- Warhawk, Colony Wars, Gears of War, Dead Space and Starhawk.

I want the game to feature aerial craft that shift into mechs that are meant to battle against infantry and armored vehicles. The game would emphasize cover, much like Gears of War/Uncharted/The Division but have the zero-g movements of Dead Space 2. Weapon pickups are scattered about the levels but every starts with the same unchangeable loadout.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Custom Robo!

nail was in the coffin when Sakurai removed its assist trophy

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see Shadow Hearts back. It was incredibly refreshing to have a JRPG series that engaged with parts of history that virtually never get touched on in the genre. With the way the series was going, we could have had a really cool WW2 or Cold War era game by now :(

I have a real soft spot for Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon on the N64 for its innate weirdness and tongue-in-cheek humor. My understanding is that Konami made a weird self-serious reboot around the PS2 launch and it bombed hard, basically dooming the franchise. It would be nice to see them try that series again, but with Konami being the way they are these days, it probably won't happen.
On the bright side, they did just remember Goemon at least exists

23CHTvc.jpg

Casper

Oct 25, 2017

This was what I was going to post. Amazing series. I need to go back and play them.

Chakan: The Forever Man

There was even potentially going to be a Dreamcast game...

I never once played the game, but I remember the comic! I actually, randomly, met the creator at some tiny comic 'convention' that was happening in some Ohio mall one summer as a kid. I remember he was a pretty chill guy. I don't even know if the game was on the radar at that point!

As long as we're talking PS2, personally I'd mention Ring of Red, a Konami developed game featuring input from Yukio Futatsagi (director of the Saturn Panzer Dragoon games and Phantom Dust).

US_boxcover.jpg

It's a retro alternate history WWII turn based strategy RPG with mecha straight outta an Ashley Woods painting. It's not the most visually inspiring or riveting game ever exactly, but I had fun with it, and I think a smaller studio could really make a great downloadable title with this. Keep the core mechanics, have a better written story /characters, add some visual flair by leaning in hard to the alternate world war setting.. could be great.

Another amazing title that I have fond memories for and another one I need to put in again.

Since Vagrant Story isn't obscure (but oh how I'd love to see a new version) and Eternal Poison was pretty hit or miss... I'm going with this gem. =)

j7fhe0O.jpg

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how obscure it is, but I really want another Meteos game (that isn't Disney themed).