• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I guess it's not really obscure, but I'd love a new Jet Force Gemini

tumblr_o6xvbwOZsQ1s3uawvo1_500.gif

or Mischief Makers

fQHDv.gif

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
MysticalNinjaStarringGoemon.jpg

The Ganbare Goemon series. Every game that's ever made it to the west has been phenomenal. The two N64 games are some of my most treasured memories of that console. The last true game in the series came out in 2005 on the DS, which I heard was pretty good though it was very Japanese heavy and difficult for a non-speaker to play. He's basically only been used as a pachinko machine mascot ever since, though even the last time he was seen in that context was 2011. He did get included as a Bomberman Switch costume in a very recent update, however.

Unfortunately he's a Konami property, and it's very likely we'll never see another Goemon game again. Which is a damn shame, because his games are a goofy-ass, robot-punchin', coin-collectin' good time.

I absolutely loved Mystical Ninja for the 64 <3

On topic, I'd love to see another Azure Dreams, won't happen since it's Konami, but it was a fun rogue-RPG

1675_front.jpg

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
I'd love to see another Last Ninja game.

Last_Ninja_II.gif

Keep the isometric view, keep using pixel art, update the controls and fight mechanics (adding some moves like blocking or parrying for example) and I'll be satisfied.

The creator of this piece of fanart had the right idea:

last_ninja_2_gba_redux_by_jnkboy.png

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's that obscure personally, but I'd kill for Fantasy Zone 3.

This time, use a real System 32 board for development.

Powerpuff

Oct 28, 2017
Adventures of Lolo
http://hg101.kontek.net/eggerland/eggerland.htm
lolo1-05.png
lolo2-02.png

I always want more cute puzzles. Dear Nintendo and Hal, the series could do a perfect come back on mobile.

Cotton
http://hg101.kontek.net/cotton/cotton.htm
cottonarcade-4.png
marchencotton-3.png
cotton2-3.png

Criminally underlooked series. While the the shmup genre today is mostly for the bullet hell fest, I would be pleased to play some more traditional titles with a sense of adventure. I want my favorite witch to come back for some cute and mystical adventures.

Pocky & Rocky
http://hg101.kontek.net/pockyandrocky/pockyandrocky.htm
pockysfc-1.png
pockysfc-4.png
duo.png

A young priestess and a raccoon who team up to fight the evil in the Japanese mythology. Please more!

Gargoyle/Demon's Quest
http://hg101.kontek.net/gng/gng4.htm
gargoylesquest2-comp-nes.png
demonscrest-2.png
demonscrest-3.png

I want the Ghouls'n Ghosts'n Goblins series back and above all its awesome and more adventure oriented spin-off, Gargoyle's Quest.

Kid Dracula
http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/cameo.htm#kdrac
kdrac-scr3.gif
kidracula-6.png
kidracula-12.png

A fun spin-off parody of the Castlevania series which would deserve another entry.

Skyblazer
http://hg101.kontek.net/skyblazer/skyblazer.htm
skyblazer-1.png
skyblazer-9.png
skyblazer-3.png

Awesome action title which has only been a one-shot.

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Rampage: Hopefully the new movie gets a project up and running. It would be awesome to leap around a 3-D environment from building to building and chasing helicopters, grabbing and throwing tanks and being a total jerk to your co-op players.

Black and White could be cool but those games always seemed half finished. They would be easy to transfer to consoles. Actually, that's the ideal sim for a console.

Ooh, think of the mechanics they could add. We need a stealth game to live up to that level.

6112QD8X1VL.jpg

Powerstone. A no brainer.

ShogoBox.jpg

Give it a nice 70's or 80's cheeze vibe.

DrazilKaj

Oct 25, 2017
Ones mentioned previously:

Klonoa
Jersey Devil
Tomba!
Power Stone

Here's a new one I'll add that's obscure to most people: Forbidden Forest for the Commodore 64.
80692-forbidden-forest-commodore-64-screenshot-fighting-a-dragon.gif

and its sequel, Beyond The Forbidden Forest:

237203-beyond-the-forbidden-forest-commodore-64-screenshot-crazy.png

Both of these games, (especially the sequel) really locked in the survival horror atmosphere in a way that I think is unappreciated nowadays.

Deleted member 32615

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Elite Beat Agents

Probably never cause Rhythm Heaven is Ninty's main Rhythm game, but I dream :(

The Legendary Starfy

I want this so I can have Starfy in Smash, please :/

Chibi-Robo!

A true sequel, come on Ninty :(

those are the main 3 but special mention to

Geist
Binary Domain
Alpha Protocol
For the Frog the Bell Tolls
Marvelous (The SNES game)
Jersey Devil
Blasto

and a bunch I'm missing

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love a new Digital Devil Saga. It kind of gets lost between Shin Megami Tensei and Persona but it's one of my favorites.

latest

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Some more Puzzle goodness should return, including:
1) Mr. Driller: It's a good evolution of Dig Dug, and while they had a lot of releases in a short span of time, it's strange that they stopped releasing new games.
170725-driller-04.jpg

2) Panel de Pon/Puzzle League: Meaning, the game on its own without needing to latch onto some other game, like Animal Crossing: New Leaf. It might be difficult to do that due to the setting of this game consisting of fairies, but the base game in incredibly fun and would be a great companion to Puyo Puyo.
npc_panel1_7277.png

3) Wario's Woods: If this gameplay style would return, it would need to be retooled into something else, like maybe Captain Toad. It's a personal wish of mine but is in my opinion the least likely to come true.
Warios_woods_snes_screen.png

Thank you for reading.

Calfirma

Oct 31, 2017
Not sure how obscure it is now that Kyle Bosman played it for Dumb Game Monday but could you imagine a new Tail of the Sun game on current gen hardware? That'd be funky as hell.

On mobile so can't go linking pics.

EDIT: forget the top half, bring back I-Ninja from ps2.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Future Cop LAPD.

Thanks EA.

Kya: Dark Lineage. It's only one game so not a series, but the ending totally says "continued in part 2" or something and we never got it, and now I think Eden Games is gone?

These + Does Silent Bomber count? And Hogs of War.

First one that came to mind for some reason, not counting games with only one entry that may be better off not being re-touched.

Tobal might be a nice idea too; imagine the gameplay of the original game with ArcSys's Dragon Ball FighterZ style.

Please Santa. I've been good this year.

Ty the Tasmanien Tiger need to come back

Didn't even know he had a third game before 2015 for it NEVER come to europe

Many suggestions after my own heart.

My take:
Gregory Horror Show
Kao the Kangaroo
Terracon

Ecthel

Nov 20, 2017
Already mentioned but I would love for Baten Kaitos and Lost Kingdoms to come back.

I think Lost Kingdoms (Rune in Japan) would be more likely to ever come back (we already know thah From Software is doing something for Switch, and both games were GameCube exclusives back then). Baten Kaitos (also with two GameCube exclusive games) seems less likely as Bandai Namco owns the rights and we would need TriCrescendo and Monolith Soft. working on it.

At least we got something similar to Lost Kingdoms with Folklore on PS3, but now that one is also an obscure IP :(

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
Beach_Spikers_Coverart.png

Sega make Beach Spikers 2 with Online Play and more customization options and make sure to include the bomb minigame again.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
I demand a new Mischief Makers. No clue where the rights are now, but it will always be a dream of mine.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
This. Out of all of MK clones and inspired games, this to me was the most interesting. Modern graphics and game mechanics would make this incredible. Hell, let the same team(s) who did the new Killer Instinct do this.

Modern graphics might be best since it would allow more options for gameplay. A current gen Primal Rage with online mode would be dope. But even the oldschool Harryhausen style remastered would be cool to see.

Ecco the Dolphin

eccoywswt.png

At the end of Ecco: The Tides of Time,
Ecco is instructed to destroy the Atlantean time machine by the progenitor of all life on Earth, the massive sentient double-helix Asterite, so he heads to their sunken city to execute the task. The Vortex Queen - a defeated alien from another world - beats Ecco to the time machine and travels back in time, integrating with life on Earth and giving rise to arthropods. When Ecco arrives at the machine, he decides not to destroy it, but to again use it, departing to a time unknown...

Ed Annunziata, Ecco's creator, was once asked on Twitter what his plans were for an Ecco 3. He wrote:

Ecco 2 was released in 1994, and it's been 23 years since its release (the Dreamcast spinoff was cool, but its own continuity). The gameplay was incredible, dolphins are fun to play as. Eating fish for health, managing on oxygen meter, blasting alien heads off with your sonar - the gameplay was really solid. Maybe introduce Metroidvania elements? Let's bring back Ecco. Ed Annunziata's down for it. Call him up, Sega.

The Dreamcast one is so underrated. The visual style and some of the concepts (a floating highway comprised of snaking tubes of water for example) were mindblowing for the time. It was actually pretty challenging to and you had to use your dome to progress. I'd be down for a remaster, but doubt it will happen.

I kinda did make a comeback:

header.jpg

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Simon the Sorcerer by the original team. Forget 3D ever happened and make one final game with closure and gorgeous pixel art.

Cid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Road Redemption is coming in 2018 to consoles. I hope its not open world but a race game like Road Rash.
And I wonder whether fire arms are a good thing.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I would love to see a new Chu Chu Rocket on switch for the local multiplayer anytime.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The ideas in Survival Kids are awesome and I'd love another top-down game in the same vein, without the elements that bogged down Lost in Blue. I'd even take something that whole-sale copies Eventide Isle in Breath of the Wild but on a grander scale.

survival-kids-usa.png

Konami owns the IP though so we're probably more likely to see an ARK rip-off than a proper come-back.

A proper HD follow-up to Opoona would be awesome too, they seem to be teasing something lately so maybe this will actually happen.

38439-550x-world-ready.jpg

Bashful Trey

Oct 27, 2017
Houston TX
Grandia & Skies definitely. CC not sure if that counts considering it's a sequel to the most popular RPG not named final fantasy but it is lesser known

I feel like I can give a pass to Chrono Cross because, if they ever did make a Chrono sequel, it was definitely be ripped straight from the Trigger mold. It would Darks Souls 2 the fuck out of Chrono Cross.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
It's not exactly a 'series', but it recently struck me that FROM software's Kuri Kuri Mix (AKA Cookie & Cream) would be a perfect title for the Switch's local multiplayer focus.

nuchallenger

Oct 29, 2017
Non-Obscure returns I want: River City Ransom, Mystical Ninja Goemon, Front Mission, Jet Set Radio

River City has had 3 (non sports related, as there's one on Steam, and on PS3) games by the JP IP holders come out in the last 2 years. River City Tokyo Rumble, River City Knights of Justice, River City Rival Showdown, and there's also the "indie" NA released sequel, River City Ransom Rival Underground, which came out this year. At least 3 out of the 4 are pretty solid. (not a fan of the Knights of Justice style)

Hopefully, a large collection of the games (that is out in JP on 3DS and slated for Switch) will be releasing in the US next year.

Deleted member 14002

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
River City has had 3 (non sports related, as there's one on Steam, and on PS3) games by the JP IP holders come out in the last 2 years. River City Tokyo Rumble, River City Knights of Justice, River City Rival Showdown, and there's also the "indie" NA released sequel, River City Ransom Rival Underground, which came out this year. At least 3 out of the 4 are pretty solid. (not a fan of the Knights of Justice style)

Hopefully, a large collection of the games (that is out in JP on 3DS and slated for Switch) will be releasing in the US next year.

I hope. I've been buying all the localised titles at launch. I also got in on the kick-starter for RCR Underground lol.

I'm also not a fan of the Knights of Justice style but I thought Tokyo Rumble was awesome.