• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
No official statement yet, but Steam page was removed a few weeks ago, and now we have EGS page - https://www.epicgames.com/store/ru/product/observation/home?q=Observation

unknown.png

Edit: Trailer is up, confirmed EGS exclusivity:
Unlisted trailer title confirms exclusivity

Last edited:

alosarjos

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw it... Have to say Epic is nailing it regarding what games I want, but I'm not gonna use their store.

A real pitty, Stories Untold was such an amazing surprise and experience...

PD: I didn't expect this from Devolver, they have been such an amazing editor...

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I was looking forward to playing this as well, how annoying.

I can wait though, Epic won't be getting a penny from me.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Wonder how Devolver is gonna spin this one

Probably by saying Valve are bad and Epic are the saviour of PC gaming and indie devs.

When the truth is more simple than that and boils down to "Epic gave us lots of money which put us straight into the black on a game that might be considered a risk in terms of sales potential."

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Is this a crash course on how companies end up being all the same regardless of the brand image they try to build?

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Is this a crash course on how companies end up being all the same regardless of the brand image they try to build?

Money will, more often than not, always conquer morals in corporate business.

That being said, Epic and their business model is unsustainable anyway so when it inevitably crashes and burns it will be all the more pleasing.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Publisher chooses what's best for their developers? Releases exclusively on one store as opposed to another store? Oh the humanity!

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
We're gonna be getting this type of thread a lot more over the next year :/

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
"We try to give benefit more to indie developers."

Funny, considering that a lot of these kind of deal mostly involved publishers, ironically lot of them are indie publishers too. Well I guess I just have to believe in other Sweeney words on that.

"Publishers knows best for their developers."

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
We're gonna be getting this type of thread a lot more over the next year :/

Will we though ?
I actually believe, fortunately, that Epic's plan is going all in for the 1st year. Hence why everything is a 1 year deal:
-1 year exclusivity for the games
-1 year of no-fees for UE4 games
-1 year of no-fees for the influencers

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, it was a fleeting interest after the trailer last night, but I guess it's another game coming in 2020 for me.

Hope this stops soon, there's a ton of games I'd have bought that are now relegated to deep sale in a years time.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Et tu, Devolver? Funny how outdated all their jokes about the gaming industry suddenly became.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
If they wouldn't make more money by putting it on the EGS, they wouldn't do it.

How is this shitty business practice as opposed to, say, releasing only on Steam (most PC games). Why don't people complain about this in every announcement thread for games, which only release on one store? This is just another form of port-begging.

Call me when there's a 3rd party game announced for Steam only and not sold anywhere else (bonus: moneyhatted by Valve on top of that).

Good luck.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Such a shock! All the companies that some of you are "massive fans" of only really care about one thing, money. Video game companies are not your friends, let these be continued lessons not to have out of control attachment to brands, developers or anything of the sorts.

It's really not hard to change your own outlook, just stop allowing fandoms to consume you.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
How is this shitty business practice as opposed to, say, releasing only on Steam (most PC games). Why don't people complain about this in every announcement thread for games, which only release on one store? This is just another form of port-begging.

No one who releases a game on Steam is forced to release it there exclusively. Also Chinese gamers cant buy the game for 1 year now. Also Linux gamers cant play the game now. Also people who want achievements wont have them now. Also people who wanna use a DS4 controller cant play it as easily now.

Oct 25, 2017
Steam the launcher and Steam the store are two different things. "Most PC games" are not only on the Steam store because I keep getting games through other means such as Humble Bundles and authorized key-sellers like Green Man Gaming.

Epic forces its launcher's games on to the Epic store. They did announce a deal with Humble as well, but having to "make a deal" is part of the problem of exclusivity. Valve didn't make a deal with Humble.

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018
I can't even get mad anymore, I'm just bored and increasingly unlikely to buy these games post-exclusivity.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

Steam aren't throwing huge bags of money at developers to make games solely exclusive to their store and developers choose to use Steam, Valve aren't making them use it.

Not only that, Valve allow keys to be sold on third party sites and they make 0% from any of those sales.

I don't know why anybody would defend Epic at this point unless they are astroturfing, none of what they are doing benefits consumers at all, it's purely profit driven.

And the reason they put it on EGS is not because they think they will make more profit long term, it's because Epic are throwing a huge bag of money at them which puts them in the black immediately and removes any risk for the product.

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Epic Games has the same sweet deals that Steam does, I got no problems with exclusive games. I have a few EA Games and they're exclusive to Origin.

This entire thing is a big brouhaha over nothing.