• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Studio head Feargus Urquhart recently did an interview and got asked, of course, about a possible Fallout game.
www.gamepressure.com

The Past. Urquhart: My greatest triumph? Obsidian survived

Creator, manager, darling killer. The man responsible for shipping RPGs that shaped the imagination of a whole generation. We talked to Feargus Urquhart about the history of Black Isle and Obsidian – the legacy, the future and what’s important in RPGs.
HS: The last question, the dangerous one. I have to ask! Is there any chance for this hypothetical new Fallout from Obsidian to occur?

FU
: We're not working on it right now, our plate is pretty full with Avowed, Grounded and Outer Worlds 2. I don't know when we're going to start talking about new games, maybe towards the end of next year [conversation took place before Christmas 2022 – ed. note]. We just have to see what's going on. That's the best way to say it. There's nothing in the plans, nothing on the piece of paper that says that. But I'll stick to what I said. I would love to make another Fallout before I retire. I don't know when that is, I don't have a date of my retirement. It's funny – you can say I'm already 52, or only 52. It's one of those two, depending on the day. My hope is that'll happen, but we'll have to wait and see.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
considering how far fallout 5 is from being released, with TES VI still to come out, *something* needs to be made for Fallout, would suck for the IP to be dormant for so long until BGS gets around to it because fallout 5 isn't coming before 2030 at the very least. even todd howard himself said it sucks

even with obsidian full… inXile is also owned by Microsoft, they're a perfect fit too. BGS, Obsidian, and inXile also have people at all 3 studios that worked on the fallout IP before

and i don't necessarily need a big fallout game, something smaller in scope that is still the same formula would work, even if it's a shorter story, smaller worldspace, etc. i would like any fallout

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019
I know it's been assumed that Bethesda would be doing Fallout 5, but what's stopping MS from giving it to Obsidion instead? It's not like one studio has more ownership than the other (unless there were some terms in the purchase of Bethesda that I'm unaware of).

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Josh Sawyer mentioned also being open to it right?

It makes all the sense in the world for Obsidian to tackle a side entry in the next decade that we're looking at before Bethesda probably gets around to another one.

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
I know it's been assumed that Bethesda would be doing Fallout 5, but what's stopping MS from giving it to Obsidion instead? It's not like one studio has more ownership than the other (unless there were some terms in the purchase of Bethesda that I'm unaware of).
that sounds like a quick & easy way to piss off your most important studio

another spin off like fnv I think is likely to be made at obsidian, but the next mainline title... no way

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Bethesda probably aren't getting to the next Fallout for probably 10+ years (probably closer to 15 if TES is anything to go by) so definitely be a smart move to look at other studios.

Oct 29, 2017
Really hoping for a New Vegas follow-up.

Kind of a sad comment on modern dev cycles that you have to start laying plans now if you want to get something done in the next 13 years. :P

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017

Nothing probably, except possible internal office politics.

Doesn't matter it's Fallout 5 or some spin off. MS would be pants on head stupid to wait another decade+ to release another Fallout title. Either they need to make more Bethesda teams or they need to farm it out to one of their other RPG studios.

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
I mean a title like "Fallout New Vegas 2" would be an instabuy for many. I know we got The Outer Worlds as a "fallout light" game, and the sequel is going to release in the near future. But it's sad that the next true Fallout title is several years away, most likely even after the release of GTA 6.

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
Yeah, I think this'll happen. I can't see Microsoft just allowing the Fallout IP to sit dormant for over a decade. We know Bethesda is doing Elder Scrolls after Starfield, so it can't be them. It'll probably be another side game ala New Vegas, leaving the numbered titles to Bethesda. That and I'm sure they're aware of the fan demand for Obsidian specifically.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Considering we won't see a new Fallout Game until well into 2030s, it would make all the sense in the world to give a game to Obsidian in the meanwhile.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
From the start - and who knows, maybe contractually somehow? - Bethesda has been regarded as its own separate entity within the greater Xbox system. The upcoming showcase is "Xbox and Bethesda" for example.

There's no way Phil and his team tell Todd Howard they are just taking the IP without his blessing. What a disaster for relationships with studios.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
with both under Microsoft, there is 0 reason to not let Obsidian make another one set on the West coast, especially since fallout 5 is like 10 years away

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I'm actually coming around to this idea tbh. I at first didn't want them to farm out Fallout 5, or even a spinoff. When you think about just how far away 5 is, considering how Toddrick likes to make his games, I think Obsidian would be a great team to 'offload' that franchise to. At least so we can have something in a 15 year window here.

Make it happen, Xbox.

scatterbrain

Apr 29, 2022
Even though the team that made New Vegas is mostly gone, I'd love nothing more than for this to happen. Not getting my hopes up, though.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
let them make a spin off like new vegas that way Bethesda can still make fallout 5 when ever that ends up happening

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Modern game development takes 5-7 years for games that clock in at less than 20 hours of playtime. For Fallout/Elder Scrolls-tier games, add a few more years due to scope/scale, and you're likely looking at about 10 years of dev time. This also assumes that development goes well and there's no delays or reboots. Even if Obsidian starts today, we won't see their Fallout until the early 2030s if development's smooth sailing. By then, Mr. Urquhart will be knocking on retirement at 62.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
One can only hope. 4 was really pretty but I couldn't help but feel everything else was a huge step backwards from new vegas. I would be quite happy with a game that was even half as good as that one.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I guess I should start Fallout 76. We aren't seeing proper Fallout for a long time even if Obsidian picks a spin off to start in 2024. 😭

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
how does Todd Howard feel about New Vegas? I vaguely remember people on this community saying something about Howard getting between Obsidian and the franchise but I don't know if that was anything more than hearsay.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
They are lying. Once the Activision purchase is done, they are clearly going to work on Arcanum 2.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hopeful Microsoft will figure something out with the studios they have; I'd rather not have to wait until the 2030s to play the next Fallout. Obsidian getting another crack at it would be awesome, but it's hard to see how plausible that is since they're tied up with three other big projects, and we know Bethesda still has to release Starfield and TES VI before development can start on Fallout 5.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
You and me both Feargus. Also, how many times will this be mentioned by them in recent years, there has to be something to this by now.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Question for the thread!

Would you guys want them to make a post-BGS Fallout, like they did with New Vegas (and I guess The Outer Worlds... never played it!)?

Or something much more their own, maybe like old school Pillars of Eternity/Fallout 1&2-style Fallout?

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
We have like 4? Fallouts (not counting 1 or 2 as they are different beasts). only 1 Arcanum!! And some of the staff who worked on Arcanum are at Obsidian. Makes complete sense!!

People should be asking him about Arcanum, not this Fallout series. Get it out of here!

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Yeah, they are for sure going to do a Fallout, they'd be nuts not to, specially with the TV show dropping next year. Hype will go up for Fallout, there's no way they're waiting till BGS is done with ES6. They'll most likely not call it Fallout 5, but it'll happen.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
how does Todd Howard feel about New Vegas? I vaguely remember people on this community saying something about Howard getting between Obsidian and the franchise but I don't know if that was anything more than hearsay.
I think he said he's never played it. He was working on Skyrim at the time so I doubt he had any impact positive or negative beyond having influence on the setting and what lore Obsidian could mess with.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
considering how far fallout 5 is from being released, with TES VI still to come out, *something* needs to be made for Fallout, would suck for the IP to be dormant for so long until BGS gets around to it because fallout 5 isn't coming before 2030 at the very least. even todd howard himself said it sucks

even with obsidian full… inXile is also owned by Microsoft, they're a perfect fit too. BGS, Obsidian, and inXile also have people at all 3 studios that worked on the fallout IP before

and i don't necessarily need a big fallout game, something smaller in scope that is still the same formula would work, even if it's a shorter story, smaller worldspace, etc. i would like any fallout

inXile does Wastelands, correct? I'd be super amused if they made it caues it would totally be full circle (as the original wasteland was the inpsiration for the original Fallout).

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Question for the thread!

Would you guys want them to make a post-BGS Fallout, like they did with New Vegas (and I guess The Outer Worlds... never played it!)?

Or something much more their own, maybe like old school Pillars of Eternity/Fallout 1&2-style Fallout?

Post BGS Fallout. Sorry, but part of what made New Vegas so special to me and my favorite game I've played is it took what I love about Bethesda games and improved on what I wish Bethesda would focus more on (more tight RPG). Fallout NV would not be the game I loved without Bethesda's influece.

If they made it like old school Fallout 1 and 2 I'd be very disappointed. I mean I loved 2, it was my 2nd fav fallout, and 1 was ok (but it actually is my least fav fallout). I just much prefer the live action gameplay of Bethesda RPGs and we have Wasteland 2 and 3 for a modern Fallout like turn based RPG (which btw, wasteland was the inspiration for Fallout 1). I just wish Bethesda more focused on the roleplaying.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no kidding imagine me telling you to enjoy Fallout 76 back in 2018 because you will not be getting another Fallout game until the PS6 was out

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
2032 or something. Which is crazy when you think about it. They should remake New Vegas.

overthewaves

Sep 30, 2020
God MS/Bethesda should allow them to do one. Doesn't have to be fallout 5, could be new Vegas 2, New Mexico, London etc. Otherwise we won't have a single player fallout game in another 10 years lol.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
God MS/Bethesda should allow them to do one. Doesn't have to be fallout 5, could be new Vegas 2, New Mexico, London etc. Otherwise we won't have a single player fallout game in another 10 years lol.

Plus I'd really love another Fallout in a western setting (totally cause I'm biased, I love the western half of the us way more than the eastern half). Now... I am personally voting for a Fallout Washington (hey, our state even has a radiactive zone already IRL).

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Plus I'd really love another Fallout in a western setting (totally cause I'm biased, I love the western half of the us way more than the eastern half). Now... I am personally voting for a Fallout Washington (hey, our state even has a radiactive zone already IRL).
Fallout Washington with the quality of map design we saw in 76 would be fuckin killer ngl, a green highly vertical map with lots of nooks and crannies...

I'm still hoping for a small but extremely dense New Orleans map from the next Fallout personally

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
When he says they won't talk about new games until late 2023, is he talking about Avowed and Outer Worlds 2 or other new games?

Last edited: