• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this part made more sense as it's own thread.

It's being published by Take-Two's new "Triple-I" division that's focused on games that are smaller than 300-400+ "AAAA" projects.

They imply it's a humorous game despite the teaser art.

The game is not planned for release prior to April 2019 at the earliest. All games in this division will also release digitally first.

Edit: Ignore the Project Wight name or art. I shouldn't post threads two minutes after I wake up.

Studio Parnter:
Obsidian Entertainment
Game: Unannounced RPG

The role-playing veterans at Obsidian are using their Private Division partnership to reunite original Fallout creators Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky for a new game set in a new universe.

"It was the opportunity to work with Tim on a new IP that we were creating from scratch again, because we did it on Fallout and Arcanum and those were great experiences and I just missed doing that, says Boyarsky, who most recently worked on Diablo III for Blizzard. "I missed working on single-player, in-depth RPGs with a lot of choice, consequence, and reactivity. I like making other types of games, but there is something special about the kind of games we started with Fallout that really appeals to us and speaks to us creatively."

The duo plans to reveal more about the project at a later date, but Cain says "If people have liked our previous RPGs they're going to like this one in terms of how we make reactive worlds and especially our style of humor."
Source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Last edited:

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, so it is new IP? That is very cool.

I still want Tim and Leon to make Bloodlines 2 someday though.

Hopefully by "our style of humor" they mean it will be serious setting with dark humor in it.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Most Obsidian games had a lot of humor so that's not really a stand out point imho but regardless, really looking forward to it.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it will have good mechanics, but CRPG grognards always actively exult in god-awful controls and UI in this genre so I don't have my hopes up.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
A Fallout game influenced by what Obsidian has learned from PoE/PoE2 sounds damned exciting. I love PoE and have backed PoE2 but I'm a little tired of fantasy settings.

Deleted member 6137

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The image isn't for the Obsidian rpg. It's for Project Wight, which is not what Obsidian is working on. The game named in the title is worked on by The Outsiders, not Obsidian.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The article is about Take-Two's new Publishing Label, Private Division - of which both Obisdian and The Outsiders (also Panache Digital and V1 Interactive) are the current four partners of.

Thread title is confused.

Obisidian has nothing to do with "Project Wight" - which is developed by The Outsiders.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As interested as I am in a new bigger Obsidian game, anything with Take Two publishing makes me immediately cautious.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder what "recurrent consumer spending opportunities" Take Two is going to make them add since Take Two came out and said every game will have them.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Ah finally some news about it. It's basically nothing, but whatever. I'll take it.
"I think it has all the strengths of the traditional publisher relationship but because we get to retain ownership of the IP, it's one of the things where I don't think we're worried about our goals aligning with the publisher goals," says Obsidian Entertainment's Tim Cain, who has reunited with fellow Fallout co-creator Leonard Boyarsky to develop a new RPG under the Private Division label. "We both want to see the IP be very successful because we are both vested in it."
That is neat

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
There's a separate press release that confirms none of these games are coming before April 2019 at the earliest.

ironcreed

Oct 27, 2017
In the meantime, the four games under Private Division continue to revel in their creative freedom, hoping to reignite the spark that helped their studio partners come up with brilliant concepts like Assassin's Creed, Halo, and Fallout.

"To be honest with you, it feels a lot like the early game days," Lehto says. "Initially it was just myself and Jason Jones doing Halo for a number of months before we brought on a larger team. Even still, that team was very small for a large portion of the development of Halo 1. And that was true even at Bungie when we were beginning to develop Destiny. The best work that I think a studio can do is when it's got that small team that's hyper focused on that creative idea and is able to rapidly innovate those creative ideas."

Private Division is betting on it.

Consider me intrigued for everything that they have in the pipeline.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I've only played Fallout: New Vegas, but humour is not the thing I want from that series, or Obsidian RPGs in general. The rest sounds good, though.

There's a slight glimmer of hope here.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda...dissapointed tbh. I LOVE Obsidian and was pretty hyped for their unannounced RPG, but considering Take-Two's recent statements about microtransactions, I'm worried that their game may become a microtransactions infested grindfest. I also DO NOT want integrated single player and multiplayer modes. I prefer this title to be SP only tbh.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Planescape had a ton of humor. Same with Fallout 2. Arcanum had also a lot of humor. If it's in the same vein as these games, then everything will be allright.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see another major publisher establish an indie division. Looking forward to what Obsidian is cooking up.

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking day 0, will pre order and season pass this.

Obsidian deserve all the money they can get if they make another great RPG and I am happy they are going AAA and giving it another shot.

Please let it do well!

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
While I'm more a fan of theirs due to their darker output, I'll still give this a chance, and can't wait to see more of it.

The outsiders? Who is the lead programmer? Ponyboy?

653.gif

Oct 30, 2017
I'm kinda...dissapointed tbh. I LOVE Obsidian and was pretty hyped for their unannounced RPG, but considering Take-Two's recent statements about microtransactions, I'm worried that their game may become a microtransactions infested grindfest. I also DO NOT want integrated single player and multiplayer modes. I prefer this title to be SP only tbh.
Yeah, the only downside to this for me is the involvement of Take-Two, really.