• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
You're not having a conversation at this point.like, what are you getting at lol
These were public events, were they not? If you're afraid of ICE, the logic doesn't follow since ICE could've easily infiltrated this event.

Now, my bigger concern now is that these events will be targeted even further.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it's a public event, the event was clearly for vulnerable people and their wellbeing takes precedence over the press needs and wants.
Was the event *clearly for vulnerable people*? The event was advertised on facebook as a general purpose town hall. Immigrants would show up because the district is 50% immigrant, not because it was placed as a special "let's talk to vulnerable communities" night.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a total nothing burger. It's pretty cool to be able to discuss your issues to public officials without it being reported because of privacy concerns.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also- I can't give TWO FUCKING SHITS about media whining when they spent ungodly amounts of time showing live shots of Trump's empty podium while Hillary and Bernie simultaneously filled stadiums. Fuck you and fuck your bullshit crying

All that Trump coverage and whining about his lack of decorum.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
What's the problem? She was talking to her constituents without it being a photo-op.
Dont politicians hold private fundraisers all the time without media coverage?

It wasn't advertised as a private fundraiser or event. From previous pages in this thread we've seen screen shots of the Facebook event started by her campaign and reports of fliers that were posted advertising the Town Hall as a public event open for discussion. No specific topics were listed, no mention of it being for victims of domestic violence or immigration was made. Those identifiers were made by AOC after the fact when she was called out about barring the press from what was labeled as an otherwise public event in which she then claimed was about creating public discourse.

The problem is she's trying to have it both ways. It's a public event but private when it comes to the press, which isn't really how this all works. She's being called on spinning this whole thing because the entire event has been labeled now by her as something completely different than what was advertised.

For all the people pontificating about "what, a non-rich person of color can't hold a private event," the fact remains that this event was never publicized by her campaign as a private event for at-risk individuals. It was always advertised as a public Town Hall or "Listening Tour" with nebulous at best objectives.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Was the event *clearly for vulnerable people*? The event was advertised on facebook as a general purpose town hall. Immigrants would show up because the district is 50% immigrant, not because it was placed as a special "let's talk to vulnerable communities" night.
Correct. It was also not a closed event. The new title is plain wrong. Town halls are not special private events.

Oct 30, 2017
Having a fundraiser with a group of suits, is WILDLY different from a group of constituents and voters
If those donors are also voters and are also giving her money, and there's no cameras, how is that any more acceptable?

Edit: This doesn't really seem like the most relevant direction to take the discussion anyway.
As others have mentioned, it's about setting the expectation beforehand. This appears to be damage control after.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
If those donors are also voters and are also giving her money, and there's no cameras, how is that any more acceptable?
If the fundraiser was open to the public, sure. Many are not. This was open to the public.

Comparing public town halls to private fundraisers makes no sense.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Also- I can't give TWO FUCKING SHITS about media whining when they spent ungodly amounts of time showing live shots of Trump's empty podium while Hillary and Bernie simultaneously filled stadiums. Fuck you and fuck your bullshit crying

Also this. They helped normalize Trump's bs by covering him constantly.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It wasn't advertised as a private fundraiser or event. From previous pages in this thread we've seen screen shots of the Facebook event started by her campaign and reports of fliers that were posted advertising the Town Hall as a public event open for discussion. No specific topics were listed, no mention of it being for victims of domestic violence or immigration was made. Those identifiers were made by AOC after the fact when she was called out about barring the press from what was labeled as an otherwise public event in which she then claimed was about creating public discourse.

The problem is she's trying to have it both ways. It's a public event but private when it comes to the press, which isn't really how this all works. She's being called on spinning this whole thing because the entire event has been labeled now by her as something completely different than what was advertised.

For all the people pontificating about "what, a non-rich person of color can't hold a private event," the fact remains that this event was never publicized by her campaign as a private event for at-risk individuals. It was always advertised as a public Town Hall or "Listening Tour" with nebulous at best objectives.
All of that, A NON-ISSUE.

I mean, she could have had a private event where she used loud white noise to obfuscate sound while pandering to establishment contributors for more corrupt monies.

Oh wait. She doesn't do that. So again, the concern trolling is HILARIous

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

...Hillary filled stadiums?

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Edit: This doesn't really seem like the most relevant direction to take the discussion anyway.
As others have mentioned, it's about setting the expectation beforehand. This appears to be damage control after.
Lol you don't see the fucking difference? One is support from voters. The other is corruption. That's not difficult to differentiate

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
All of that, A NON-ISSUE.

I mean, she could have had a private event where she used loud white noise to obfuscate sound while pandering to establishment contributors for more corrupt monies.

Oh wait. She doesn't do that. So again, the concern trolling is HILARIous

She's spinning a story very much like an establishment politician, and blaming the media for a mistake of her campaign. I mean, I get it, people here like AOC because of what she represents and I happen to agree with much of her platform. That doesn't mean that I suddenly don't look critically at how a politician acts, especially these days, towards the media.

As I've posted previously in this thread, there were at least three separate ways she could have handled this whole thing that would have been entirely acceptable and made everyone happy. She instead chose to go the route of spin and doublespeak, which is unfortunate. Her campaign claims that this is a one-time thing so let's see if they stick to that.

But let's be clear, this is an unforced error on her campaign's part, not the fault of the Queens Chronicle, the hyper local metro newspaper that originally wrote the story.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No one is saying that is more acceptable. People are saying that there is a lot of handwringing over this while other politicians continue to hold closed events with rich people that the media was barred from and there is nary a word.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
She's spinning a story very much like an establishment politician, and blaming the media for a mistake of her campaign. I mean, I get it, people here like AOC because of what she represents and I happen to agree with much of her platform. That doesn't mean that I suddenly don't look critically at how a politician acts, especially these days, towards the media.

As I've posted previously in this thread, there were at least three separate ways she could have handled this whole thing that would have been entirely acceptable and made everyone happy. She instead chose to go the route of spin and doublespeak, which is unfortunate. Her campaign claims that this is a one-time thing so let's see if they stick to that.

But let's be clear, this is an unforced error on her campaign's part, not the fault of the Queens Chronicle, the hyper local metro newspaper that originally wrote the story.
"Spinning" LMAO.

You nailed it champ. FINALLY opposers have something against Ocasio-Cortez!! Now we can accuse her of

[Checks notes]

"Pandering to actual voters, some of which are sensitive to harassment and deportation"

WE GOT HER

giphy.gif

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It wasn't advertised as a private fundraiser or event.
Alright, so if this is true I guess I still don't get what the big deal is, I can see being momentarily miffed if someone had plans to go but then got there and they couldn't get in, but in the name of the greater good for what Cortez represents and what she was trying to accomplish people should be willing to brush that off their shoulders. She's on our side and tried to do a good thing, don't know what's to be gained making a big fuss

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

This. CNN and other new stations helped trump.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean really. If only the media was this vocal about not being allowed into closed door fundraisers, maybe we could get republicans to be a little more accountable. But yeah, a meeting with constituents in vulnerable situations - thats what they're upset about.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
"Spinning" LMAO.

You nailed it champ. FINALLY opposers have something against Ocasio-Cortez!! Now we can accuse her of

[Checks notes]

"Pandering to actual voters, some of which are sensitive to harassment and deportation"

WE GOT HER

giphy.gif

YouMad.jpg

This isn't really about having a "gotcha" moment, and I think you projecting that this is about opposing AOC at all costs is a little ridiculous. People are allowed to be disappointed by something a politician they otherwise like does. Regardless of how much of a deal you personally view it, that doesn't mean I, or others who have posted in this thread, don't think she should completely ignore or handwaive this away or come up with an excuse after the fact for why her campaign did something instead of just admitting or owning a mistake.

Alright, so if this is true I guess I still don't get what the big deal is, I can see being momentarily miffed if someone had plans to go but then got there and they couldn't get in, but in the name of the greater good for what Cortez represents and what she was trying to accomplish people should be willing to brush that off their shoulders. She's on our side and tried to do a good thing, don't know what's to be gained making a big fuss

The only reason we have any inkling of her "trying to do a good thing" is that she explained what the event was really for after she was called out for barring the media from an otherwise public event after the fact. Then claimed it was about creating a public discourse on these important issues, but wants the whole thing closed off to the press. And yet an aide to the mayor was live tweeting what was going on during one of their previous town halls, to wit there hasn't been any condemnation of that so far as we've seen.

So the whole thing is a bit confusing and really just poorly handled by her on social media. Frankly the fact that she is a young politician in a district that is heavily blue, I think this is an ideal time for her to learn about how to handle the media. Because if she can barely handle the Queens Chronicle I worry about how she'll handle future media issues when she's in Washington or trying to elevate herself to higher levels of government/committees. This is a golden opportunity for a learning experience when the stakes aren't nearly as high for her now that she has the nomination.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It wasn't Jim Acosta that was barred from covering it, it was some local reporter from Queens. That's how all of this began and other big name reporters came to his defense.

Which is why all this mentioning of CNN and the bigger media ITT is rather bizarre.

I think everyone is mostly getting annoyed with the national media's reaction to this such as:

In fact, people read the original story and feel that the whole thing is blown out of proportion to satisfy an agenda

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The only reason we have any inkling of her "trying to do a good thing" is that she explained what the event was really for after she was called out for barring the media from an otherwise public event after the fact. Then claimed it was about creating a public discourse on these important issues, but wants the whole thing closed off to the press. And yet an aide to the mayor was live tweeting what was going on during one of their previous town halls, to wit there hasn't been any condemnation of that so far as we've seen.
Well, did she do a good thing or not? I think having a meeting with those groups is pretty awesome personally. I think giving a voice to underprivileged groups in a safe environment for them is great, you're just mad because it didn't play out the way you or the media would have preferred? Trump is putting kids in cages, I don't get how this rates. We should be propping up someone who helps disadvantaged groups instead of condemning them for not doing it how you or others would like. The sun came up today and these people who never get heard woke up knowing they were heard.
Ah, I see. There it is.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Well, did she do a good thing or not? I think having a meeting with those groups is pretty awesome personally. I think giving a voice to underprivileged groups in a safe environment for them is great, you're just mad because it didn't play out the way you or the media would have preferred? Trump is putting kids in cages, I don't get how this rates. We should be propping up someone who helps disadvantaged groups instead of condemning them for not doing it how you or others would like. The sun came up today and these people who never get heard woke up knowing they were heard.
The person is saying that we don't actually know if she was having a meeting with the underprivileged groups because there was no mention of that anywhere beforehand, and the only clue to it seems to be Ocasio-Cortez' tweets afterwards.

I have no clue if this is true or not though.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017

Giving a voice to at-risk individuals is great and I can commend her for trying to reach out to people she sees as underrepresented and unheard on a local and national stage.

What I don't like is that she tried changing the narrative after being called out from barring the press. We can all agree that her reasoning in her tweet is noble. So why hide it? Why if that was the purpose was that mentioned exactly no where in any of her campaign's advertisements for the Town Hall? It's a bit of a discrepancy here.

And I'm a little concerned about the whataboutism on display not just from you but others in this thread by claiming "well Trump is putting kids in cages." Yeah, he is. That doesn't exactly mean that we shouldn't hold any standards at all towards our local politicians. Nor does it mean that AOC or any other candidate ERA likes shouldn't be questioned about why they chose to do something odd or refuse to admit a mistake. And again, she's very likely not going to lose in her district that goes heavily blue so hers isn't an election at risk here where we need to worry about one bit of bad press suddenly blowing up her candidacy. But she is going to the national stage where she will be under a much greater microscope than what the Queens Chronicle is putting her under. Thus far she's had a good relationship with the press as mentioned in the above tweets, but I'm hoping that this incident isn't the beginning of a step in the other direction for her.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
This. CNN and other new stations helped trump.

Yep and they continue to do him favors. The amount of coverage Russia gets over everything else is absurd. We are still active in a bunch of wars and Flint still ain't got clean water but nah let's talk about Russia 24/7.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
It's kind of hard to claim someone else as mad when you've posted several paragraphs trying to explain why this non story totally matters and is very important.

I like to explain myself to as thoroughly as I can in order to keep people from misunderstanding my points. Of course this works to varying degrees of success but at least I can rest easy knowing that I felt I adequately explained my position in a given post that perhaps my message not getting across likely wasn't due to an error on my part.

In short, effort posting is kind of my bag, baby. At least in topics like this.

The Cam'ron pic was me being cheeky considering the previous post projecting my intent, being melodramatic, and throwing in their own gif as opposed to enagaging in civil discourse, but I still made an effort to further engage afterwards.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep and they continue to do him favors. The amount of coverage Russia gets over everything else is absurd. We are still active in a bunch of wars and Flint still ain't got clean water but nah let's talk about Russia 24/7.
That's something that actually makes me angry. Russia, Mueller, and the Manafort trial are important, but for the average person, these things don't matter all that much. Our wars still kill a lot of civilians, Flint still don't got clean water, people need to setup gofundme pages to pay for healthcare, and so on. It's infuriating.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
But she is going to the national stage where she will be under a much greater microscope than what the Queens Chronicle is putting her under
The microscope is the press and the press reports to us, the people. All we have to do is say "this isn't a big deal, stop with this" instead of feeding into a narrative that is counterproductive. We have the power to bump it out of the news cycle entirely if we don't buy into it.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space

Quoted for truth. It's kinda funny how CNN and other news channels wanted to make sure they gave Trump "equal" time, when he still ended up saying they're fake news outlets owned by the globalist elite (i.e, dog whistle for jews).They don't get that with Trump you either have undying loyalty or you're an enemy of his

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
She's still a newbie in the political game.
Like literally, she's not even a politician yet. I'll give her time to grow. It's not like she jumping right into President or attempting to cause harms to Americans or our institutions. She has time. I'll critique her then if she's slipping. Not that this is really that big of a deal in my opinion. It's obvious she didn't consider the optics but I think her intentions were good.

evilways811

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
St. Cloud, FL
Like literally, she's not even a politician yet. I'll give her time to grow. It's not like she jumping right into President or attempting to cause harms to Americans or our institutions. She has time. I'll critique her then if she's slipping. Not that this is really that big of a deal in my opinion. It's obvious she didn't consider the optics but I think her intentions were good.

Yep, the only reason she gets so much attention nearly every step she takes is cause she is seen as a threat to the opposition, from both sides. They wanna root her out before she gains a bigger fanbase or some sort of spot that grants her power.

Anthony Mooch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She wont ever become president, or vice president amazingly she has more baggage than hillary and bernie without years of decades.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
era is seriously the most ignorant-woke place on the internet

imagine being so empathetically bankrupt that you can't understand why the vulnerable people attending might be better off without press there. that ONE event as such is not literally equivalent to what Trump says about the media...

First page OTT is an embarrassment
I can't believe we're on the 2nd day of this bullshit and on the 12th page of this thread. So yeah, I 100% agree.

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
As a non-American looking at this from the outside, it seems like a lot of white liberals are very threatened by her and other brown women winning elections? That's the impression I'm getting from social media at least.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
This is one of those topics that exposes guys like Trapper.

The clique ish nature of journalism combined with the both side shit made them go after a dog that won't hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.