• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Wozman23

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
I'm also on World 3, but on my second play through where I'm going back for missed collectibles, and completing both par runs. Maximizing your efficiency at par runs is a lot of fun in both cases. Once you get the hang of everything, and upgrades, most seem pretty lenient.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the game.

Holy shit, that was great. Definitely one of the best games I've played so far this year.

Took just under 8 hours.

Going to see how the harder difficulty is. I'm ready to curse and rage! Lol

Difficulty definitely picked up in the last levels. This isn't a game you need fast reflexes. It involves some thinking and planning.

Great game, guys. Highly recommend this!

Jump on this, especially with the discount happening for a few more days.

Would love to gift everyone this game and be like...

lrq3y.jpg

jarosh

Nov 30, 2017
congrats jarosh . saw the quick look and it looked pretty awesome
Thank you! :)

You guys did an awesome job with this game. I hope people can download the Steam demo and give it a try. Will there be a demo on consoles as well?
There might be one coming yeah. On Xbox there likely will be a minor patch and it might ship with a trial. On PS4 I might do a separate demo. Still working things out!

I'm also on World 3, but on my second play through where I'm going back for missed collectibles, and completing both par runs. Maximizing your efficiency at par runs is a lot of fun in both cases. Once you get the hang of everything, and upgrades, most seem pretty lenient.
Yeah, the world 4 upgrade and the world 5 optional upgrade both help a lot with 100% pars because of how you can destroy light bulbs after getting them. The world 3 optional upgrade helps with both par medals to a smaller degree. That said, all pars were set based on playthroughs with no upgrades, not even with the regular word 4 one.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Grabbed this the other day and I'm so busy going for 100% on everything I've only got to the 3rd level, I need to just play through it all and come back.

Loving the game though, music is awesome, got a great style and good mechanics and level design to keep coming back to perfect.

OP
OP
Wozman23

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
Platinum Unlocked!

imT6CUD.png

AnMPk6I.png

There were a few levels that took some time to 100% Par (using upgrades) but nothing was too crazy.

I like that even after the platinum there are still a lot of other self-imposed challenges as well, like the Deus ❤ medals. I'm gonna give it a break for now, but I may come back to try getting all of them and play around more on the higher difficulties. My Rogue Elite run ended a few levels into World 2 after falling directly onto one of those spiders just after he respawned.

Found out on PS4 you can use the shoulder buttons in the level select overworld to skip back and forth between worlds, which is great because the only complaint I could even make about the game is that navigating the diamond-shaped grid of levels isn't always the most intuitive on a non-diamond shaped d-pad.

If I'm splitting hairs, sometimes I fell off of the platforms that launch in a direction - seemed to happen if I was holding a directional when entering them - and sometimes the bounce pads were a bit unpredictable - I had a bad habit of hitting the jump button as I'd hit them which sometimes made me do a little tiny jump and not give me back a platform, while other times I somehow would do a bigger than normal jump. Never figured out how exactly to replicate the superjump so I couldn't use it to my advantage. So eventually I learned to just stop hitting jump on them and just let them do the work.

But those are extremely minor complaints on what is really a phenomenal game. It's the first 10 of the year for me, and won't be easy to beat. It joins a short, but growing, list of recent arcade games that are virtually perfect. (The others being: Resogun, Nex Machina, Velocity and Velocity 2X, and Thumper)

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I keep forgetting to mention this because I've been slammed with work lately, but I had a chance to do a brief Q&A with our very own jarosh who is not only the designer of Octahedron but, as the article makes clear, composed some of the tracks himself. It's not very long, but I think it does give a little more insight into the game and its development that fans might be interested in. I asked jarosh if I could link it here and he was kind enough to agree :)

https://psxextreme.com/developer-interview-demimonde/

OP
OP
Wozman23

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
I keep forgetting to mention this because I've been slammed with work lately, but I had a chance to do a brief Q&A with our very own jarosh who is not only the designer of Octahedron but, as the article makes clear, composed some of the tracks himself. It's not very long, but I think it does give a little more insight into the game and its development that fans might be interested in. I asked jarosh if I could link it here and he was kind enough to agree :)

https://psxextreme.com/developer-interview-demimonde/

Thanks for posting this. I missed that the full soundtrack got posted, so I updated the OP with it as well.

jarosh

Nov 30, 2017
Just giving this a little bump for the Switch announcement!

ugHHNJZ.png

The Transfixed Edition has a few exclusive extras :)

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Game's finally out on Switch and I'm loving it, it's definitely a part of the "perfect on Switch" bunch lol

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Edit: Whoops sorry I meant to edit the post above

A couple of little things I wish were patched in tho:

•Most importantly: let us bind a button for quick restarting. As it is it takes too long and does not fit with the philosophy of multiple "abort the run cause I fucked up" (and if you add the quick-restart please skip the beginning animation too)

•It would have been nice to have online leaderboards although I understand it's tricky for a project like this and with so many different variables dictating an hypothetical total score

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
It's a shame this game isn't more talked about.

And the soundtrack is amazing af

edit: WTF the last 3 posts are all mine?
Indeed it is a shame lol

Oct 25, 2017
México
Sorry for the bump, but I had this game on my wishlist since months ago. I just received a notification and the game is at its all-time low price on the Switch. Just $2 USD.

Buying it right now.

jarosh

Nov 30, 2017
Hey everyone! I recently got the publishing rights for Octahedron back from Square Enix, so Octahedron is now self published! 🎉

To celebrate, the game is now 90% off ($1.29) for the Steam Winter Sale!

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/434660/Octahedron_Transfixed_Edition/

It also received a small update just today which contains a Japanese localization and an updated, much nicer cyrillic font (made by Discord community member Fox Nóvak).

If you've played the game and enjoyed it, and have not yet left a review, it would help me tremendously if you wrote a review for it now! The game has unfortunately lost a number of positive reviews over the past few months due to removed/banned Steam accounts.

Last edited: