• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

donny2112

Oct 27, 2017
ITT, predict for the NPD October 2018 retail period (October 7-November 3, 2018) for U.S. hardware sales.

What is NPD?: NPD is one of the main retail tracking firms in the U.S., and also about the only one who specifically goes into detail on video games sales. This thread is to predict what the NPD hardware sales will be for the most recent month. NPD months are defined by the National Retail Federation (find calendar links here).
What do I win?: Bragging rights. We also keep track of predictions over the year and have an annual contest using "points." Still just bragging rights, but SalesEra followers have fun seeing how well we can do with it. See here for details on the point calculations.
Why are there still predictions when official NPD numbers are not released?
Trust me said:
To have fun? To share thoughts and speculation with a like mined group of people? To be able to communicate directly with individuals who study this industry for a living?
ethomaz said:
Since 2010 I guess we don't get official numbers anymore... that doesn't mean we don't get the numbers.

The ranking and results are based in real numbers.

Prediction entries must be in and finalized by 8 p.m. EST on Tuesday, November 13th. Format use is required if you want your entry counted.

NPD Coverage: October 6-November 3, 2018 (4 weeks, September was 5 weeks)
NPD Physical Results Release: Thursday, November 15th @ 4 p.m. EST (public thread with physical+digital posted 5 days later on November 20th ~6:30 p.m. EST)

Format:

[NSW]
[PS4]
[XB1]

Good/Bad Formatting
Code:
Good              Bad
[XB1] 200K       [XB1] 200 thousand
[XB1] 200,000    [XB1] 200.000
[XB1] 200000     [XB1] - 200000

Potential hardware impacting events in October:
?

Prediction Format: (repeating to emphasize to use this format)

[NSW]
[PS4]
[XB1]

September's Resuts
Since we only have a #1 predictor and the ratio's don't match exactly with YOY increses

PS4: ~425K
NSW: ~260K
XB1: ~175K
September 2017 NPD thread
October 2017 NPD thread (first one at ResetERA)

NPD Prediction Thread Archive

Last edited:

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
[NSW] 240K
[PS4] 230K
[XB1] 280K

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Those $100 off an Xbox One X + Red Dead Redemption 2 deals will help lift themselves out of the murky gloom of Septembers results, the Switch will likely be mostly the same, if not a little bit better, while the PlayStation 4 decreases after an incredible September.

[PS4] 319K
[NSW] 286K
[XB1] 210K

I may change my mind after I read Welfare's superb 'wall of numbers'!

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Benji you mentioned that earlier in the month sales were quite weak for all platforms. Have things improved by the end of the month (obviously RDR2 has some potential to change the outlook)?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Benji you mentioned that earlier in the month sales were quite weak for all platforms. Have things improved by the end of the month (obviously RDR2 has some potential to change the outlook)?

Yeah October should be fun

Biggest October for software sales this generation?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna wait for some pages to build up before I go too into stuff

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Time to spam!

But what is the current biggest Oct HW and SW wise for this gen?
501807855838691333.png

Hide your thirst a little bit better my boy

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
With the launch of RDR2 and the deals for Xbox One's, is it at all possible that Switch finishes 3rd this month for the first time ever?

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I wonder if Let's Go is finally pickeing up steam now that the release is bear. In Japan we had reports it started to gain momentum after an anemical build up in terms of pre orders.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have a link to Arkham City launch back in June 2015? I think the PS4 will do similar numbers that month. For now...

[PS4] 420K
[XB1] 200K

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna wait for some pages to build up before I go too into stuff
Sure thing, and thanks for all and any insight you may give :)

I expect software to be huge, but, without going into details unless you can, did you notice a marked uptick in hardware due to the latest big titles coming out?