• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jeromeSF

Nov 2, 2017
Is Sony trolling with their forecast at this point? Or are they planning to increase the PS4 price to beyond 299. Because I do not see how they do not smash their forecast numbers especially judging by what I expect a record breaking November.
I think their forecast is too low, but don't forget we also don't know how the PS4 is doing in Europe, where the pricing strategy is way less aggressive than in the US

xMaximusx

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Everyone talking about how great Xbox is doing despite coming in last almost every month but pointing out YoY increase. But does the increase really point to how well it's doing, or rather how bad it did last year?

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, no problem :-)
Just trying to be precise as well with month numbers (340 or 345K for PS4), because it could affect results in prediction ranking.

No, you're right. 965K it is...

To put up that much of a lead in 10 months in the region where your competition is at it's strongest is an incredible feat.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Firstly, I'm guessing that the Digital FOundry RDR2 comparison didn't have as much reach as some assumed it would. Secondly, in the United States PS4 has outsold XBOX by over 1 million units in 2018 alone?

Honestly, I was not expecting it at all when they have had the newness of the Xbox One X to boost sales all year. If I saw a leaked document in 2017 saying that in 2018 the Xbox One would be price cut so many times throughout 2018 and theyd have some killer deals with the Xbox One X (like the Red Dead 2 one) Id think they would even have the chance of beating Sony this year.

So its quite amazing that Sony has about a million more sales in a year where MS has been trying their hardest to push the Xbox One S/X.

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's all about perspective?

Honestly going into the month I thought October Switch would be down by a good margin. Then it was selling so well I thought there was even a chance it could wind up YoY. The fact in the end it came so close to last October is a net gain in my book
Hi benji, can you answer whether PS4 was doing good or bad, before the 199$ SM bundle?

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everyone talking about how great Xbox is doing despite coming in last almost every month but pointing out YoY increase. But does the increase really point to how well it's doing, or rather how bad it did last year?

It's doing better but so is PS4. So the YoY gains seem a bit muted considering PS4 gained almost a million units over Xbox in U.S. 2018 alone despite Xbox One X, Game Pass, Play Anywhere, etc. It just shows that exclusive games matter above all else. God of War and Spider-Man putting in some work.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017

I think its a case of both. Yes it performed poorly previously, but now it has overcome that and it is now performing well. Unfortunately we don't see its numbers in a vacuum, but up against the Switch and PS4 numbers which are generally over performing on a month by moth basis.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
Honestly, I was not expecting it at all when they have had the newness of the Xbox One X to boost sales all year. If I saw a leaked document in 2017 saying that in 2018 the Xbox One would be price cut so many times throughout 2018 and theyd have some killer deals with the Xbox One X (like the Red Dead 2 one) Id think they would even have the chance of beating Sony this year.

So its quite amazing that Sony has about a million more sales in a year where MS has been trying their hardest to push the Xbox One S/X.

Why is it amazing ? Sony has had GOW and Spider-Man this year, two huge games that alone probably accounted for many console sales. Plus you had the exclusive marketing deal for this gens biggest game. So it's totally expected for me.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

January-October of last year was really bad, but Xbox One is doing way better this year (like more than 500k ahead of 2017), also doing better than 2014, and not to far from 2015 and 2016.

So it's not doing exceptionally well, but recovered from the poor 2017.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
No Spider-Man worldwide sales report yet, kinda cheating from SIE... : |

Will it wait after Black Friday some sort?

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
thanks Magicpork

great numbers all around. Xbox up significantly YoY. the turnaround from MS has been nothing short of amazing. Switch only down 12% from last October is crazy. the rest of the holiday for Nintendo is gonna be bonkers. nice to hear Let's Go is doing well too. and Sony just steady beasting. can't wait to see the November numbers to see how much stock that $199 deal was afforded. good stuff all around. the industry is in a great place.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
So, now that I'm back to think 20M is impossible for this FY, how many units do you guys think Nintendo will manage to sell in Nov.-Dec.?

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, now that I'm back to think 20M is impossible for this FY, how many units do you guys think Nintendo will manage to sell in Nov.-Dec.?

20M is very possible for Switch now. Pokemon is doing great and selling units which is exactly what Nintendo needed to meet that forecast. They are absolutely going to crush Nov / Dec sales.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it at all retailers like the Spider-Man bundle? And also 299€ is $340, so $141 more than the US main bundle

299€ is 299€. You shouldn't convert the price like that because if the Spider-Man 199$ bundle was released in Europe, it'd be 199€. It's still two 60€ game bundled at the base RRP of the console.
I think it's available in the whole europe but I wouldn't be 100% sure.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Why is it amazing ? Sony has had GOW and Spider-Man this year, two huge games that alone probably accounted for many console sales. Plus you had the exclusive marketing deal for this gens biggest game. So it's totally expected for me.

They´re not the sole reason why the PS4 has nearly a million on Xbox so far this year. Even in the quiet months where Sony wasnt pushing the PS4 and MS was temporarily lowering the price of the Xbox One the PS4 managed to sell more. In a year where MS has had the Xbox One S very cheap and the Xbox One X has been continued to be pushed with notable deals.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not even Sony expected this performance, they were already doing huge numbers before so being up this year was certainly not expected.

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
Nintendo's forecast is a shipment number, consoles sold to consumers via NPD, Media create and GFK doesn't give clues on their actually shipments. They can still ship 11 million and only sell 9 for the holiday but the official shipment is still 11 million.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's forecast is a shipment number, consoles sold to consumers via NPD, Media create and GFK doesn't give clues on their actually shipments. They can still ship 11 million and only sell 9 for the holiday but the official shipment is still 11 million.
Shipments do correlate to sell in numbers. If something isn't selling, inventory remains on shelves and in storage, meaning you can't ship more units.
In other words: while shipments and sales don't correlate 1:1, there is enough of a relation between the two that you can use one to infer the other.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah it seems unlikely to do 5 6 million in November and December imo.

Especially since PS4 will be 199 with a game that all the kids want (spider Man) vs 299 with a game that both kids and adult want ( smash). I think 199 will win the parents Everytime in holiday shopping .maybe I m wrong though

Oct 25, 2017

Well I'm sure MS sees it as a positive. It IS up YOY. Which is good. Means that people are finding the product attractive. It's not doing better than the comp and at this point it won't. But Phil and co have to focus on cultivating and delivering to that audience.

jeromeSF

Nov 2, 2017
299€ is 299€. You shouldn't convert the price like that because if the Spider-Man 199$ bundle was released in Europe, it'd be 199€. It's still two 60€ game bundled at the base RRP of the console.
In France, it is not available on Amazon, Fnac and Micromania. But anyway, the pricing strategy has been globally way less aggressive in Europe since the launch of PS4 - and still is.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Especially since PS4 will be 199 with a game that all the kids want (spider Man) vs 299 with a game that both kids and adult want ( smash). I think 199 will win the parents Everytime in holiday shopping .maybe I m wrong though

PS4 will not affect Switch sales to any significant degree and vice versa. Even if PS4 "wins" the holidays, it won't directly influence Nintendo's forecast.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Sony did not expect this sort of momentum this year at all no.

Even their revised estimate for the FY is too low

It really is Bonkers how well PS4 is selling.

It's both. Last year was bad for Microsoft and now they are back on doing good.

No Spider-Man worldwide sales report yet, kinda cheating from SIE... : |

Will it wait after Black Friday some sort?

Yeah they are waiting for BF and holidays to end.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
You're talking about an Amazon.fr offer, perhaps? It doesn't seem to be available anywhere, though there are similar offers with only Spider-Man or older games.

It's out of the question PS4 (and Switch) are going to push big numbers in Europe, the mistery is how further it could go with prices in line with the US. Xbox, for example, is getting wild discounts (€150 with games and multiple pads) and it's probably going to have its best holidays here despite its low popularity. Who knows what PS4 would do at €199.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Not even Sony expected this performance, they were already doing huge numbers before so being up this year was certainly not expected.

There's a clear main driver behind this development of PS4's and XBP's YoY development, and its name is Battle Royal games. Headsets are also selling like crazy. No one could have expected this.

Big question is how long this amazing frenzy will go on before that specific market is finally saturated.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
October...

PS4: 1.34
Switch: 1
Xbox One: 0.83
3DS:0.26

YoY:

PS4: +62%
Switch: -12%
Xbox One: +64%
3DS: -45%

Initial sales performance of Pokemon Let's Go is about in line with Nintendo's expectation, and it's a strong one.
So glad to see you MagicPork! Thanks for the numbers!

Switch did nearly 300k last year according to John Harker, so this year it did about 265k. That means that PS4 would be about 355k if my math is right.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Plus lots of smaller exclusives such as Detroit that pleases gamers who aren't into the huge games.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In France, it is not available on Amazon, Fnac and Micromania. But anyway, the pricing strategy has been globally way less aggressive in Europe since the launch of PS4 - and still is.

You're talking about an Amazon.fr offer, perhaps? It doesn't seem to be available anywhere, though there are similar offers with only Spider-Man or older games.

It's out of the question PS4 (and Switch) are going to push big numbers in Europe, the mistery is how further it could go with prices in line with the US. Xbox, for example, is getting wild discounts (€150 with games and multiple pads) and it's probably going to have its best holidays here despite its low popularity. Who knows what PS4 would do at €199.

The bundle is sold-out but was available on amazon.fr, fnac, micromania and other places. See here: https://www.amazon.fr/Pack-Dead-Redemption-Marvels-Spiderman/dp/B07KJRZGN3 but it might be something local rather than online. I got alerts saying that it was available in some stores in any case.
But yes, it's not going to go as high as with the US due to less agressive polciy and the big Switch competition. It's still getting an attractive offering this holiday, is what I was saying, and should comfortably sell a lot of units.

Xbox is super aggressive since months or even years now due to the shrinking popularity of the brand in Europe sans UK.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
There's a clear main driver behind this development of PS4's and XBP's YoY development, and its name is Battle Royal games. Headsets are also selling like crazy. No one could have expected this.

Big question is how long this amazing frenzy will go on before that specific market is finally saturated.

Isn't there always some big trend though pushing console sales, whether that's MOBAs, arena shooters, minecraft-style builders, etc? I'm not saying it's incorrect, I'm just wondering if the Battle Royale craze has really boosted console sales more than all those others have in recent years.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

You are very wrong because you assume that things can't co-exist which has been disproven times and times again. A limited offer during Black Friday won't change the mind of a child that wants Pokémon or Smash for Christmas.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
October...

PS4: 1.34
Switch: 1
Xbox One: 0.83
3DS:0.26

YoY:

PS4: +62%
Switch: -12%
Xbox One: +64%
3DS: -45%

Initial sales performance of Pokemon Let's Go is about in line with Nintendo's expectation, and it's a strong one.
Told ya PLG haters this game is gonna sell tons, even though I personally dont like the game (no wild battles is BIG mistake)

Everything is selling well