• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

Featuring Joey Janela talking about the Big Cass incident

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
Darby became a TV level star. If he was a trash nerd the skateboard would have been awful but he made it every bit as majestic as Hangman's horse at All Out. More so. He's a bigger star than Hangman right fucking now. I wish they had a midcard belt because they need to strap gold to him NOW.
The thing about the daredevil role is it's pretty inconsistent and risky. You will really get over short term, sure, but injuries could happen at anytime, and people might get tired of the trick in a few years. Good booking could back up the second problem, but he needs a safer style in the long run.

The Kid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the cheapest way to watch AEW without cable? I'd be happy to watch non-live episodes; I just want to avoid having to paying $40 a month just to watch AEW.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
What's the cheapest way to watch AEW without cable? I'd be happy to watch non-live episodes; I just want to avoid having to paying $40 a month just to watch AEW.
If you live in the U.S., perhaps a VPN + AEW Plus

Sling would be $25/month

Oct 25, 2017
Rhea is the person they're pushing as the new top face. Bianca beat Dakota because they want to give Rhea a win over Bianca before she has a match against Shayna. Rhea said after her match tonight that she was going after Shayna. Bianca said after her match that she wanted a match with Rhea. They aren't exactly being subtle about any of this.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, AEW had a way better show tonight compared to last weeks. I really liked this weeks NXT, but I have to give the edge to AEW here. I'm really fucking sold on Darby Allin at this point and the last segment of the night was amazing. I marked out at the skateboard spot. Still wish the women's division wasn't kind of garbage, but whatever. Match of the night is a tossup between Private Party/Young Bucks and KUSHIDA/WALTER

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished NXT after watching AEW live. Thoughts.

AEW
- Young Bucks vs. Private Party was so awesome. The crowd was super hot for it and Private Party held up their end of it. I was really surprised to see them win, but given the crowd response it was absolutely the right move. They got elevated huge tonight. When I saw this, I thought there was no way anything on the NXT show could be as good. Well, I was wrong.
- Jericho's promo was good. I didn't like the "THAT'S A SHOOT" line because it's dumb and unnecessary, but otherwise it was a fun shithead heel promo. Like the name Inner Circle.
- Darby vs. Havoc was alright. I don't think it ever really clicked with me. I also don't think the crowd bit on it like they wanted them to. Darby winning should have felt like a big moment but it didn't get the reaction like it was. I just don't know that Jimmy was the right opponent here.
- The women's tag match was fine. Not bad but not great by any means. Just kind of a vehicle to push forward the Bea/Britt stuff.
- The only thing that really didn't work for me on the show at all was the Best Friends interview. It just felt stilted and awkward, though it did get the pop for OC.
- Mox vs. Spears was another match that was just kind of there, but PAC on commentary made it a great segment. Remember when people thought he couldn't talk because WWE was giving him shit? Still don't at all like that Tully blatantly interfered right in front of the ref and the ref just did nothing. They gotta stop that. I loved the post-match with PAC attacking Kenny and Moxley walking away. It shows that there are degrees to things, and that Mox doesn't like Kenny but he's not the same level of asshole that PAC is.
- The main event was yet again a match that wasn't spectacular but served its purpose (sensing a theme here). The post-match stuff was so great. Everything about it worked with me. Cody showing up and attacking, MJF's teased turn on him, Darby attacking Jericho with the skateboard. They are doing a fantastic job building Cody vs. Jericho.
- Overall I thought a great show even though only one match really blew me away. Liked it a lot more than last week as a show, even though it didn't have the first show hype. I am weirdly excited for Darby vs. Jericho next week and am really looking forward to Jericho vs. Cody at the PPV. The highlight of Dynamite so far is how well they are telling their stories, especially at the top.

NXT
- Lio Rush vs. Gulak was great. The blitz out the gate, the beatdown by Gulak, and the peak of Rush's win. Even the post-match was great. They seem to want to reset things for the division now that it's firmly an NXT thing and I think this did a good job of that. One of the best matches I saw tonight.
- Ripley continues to come off like a star. Nothing new there. Aliyah making TV is a hell of a thing, but she did make a good ragdoll for Rhea's offense and the finish looked great.
- This show had a ton of video packages and interviews. Like, a ridiculous amount. I get wanting to progress feuds and the packages themselves were all good, but it really breaks the flow of the show when you do so many of them. Tegan hype video, interviews with Priest AND Dunne, interviews with Dijak AND Lee, two separate videos for Balor. Maybe cut like two of those and it'll flow better.
- Cameron Grimes must know where the bodies are buried because he's been on this show more than anyone else since it went to two hours. Like I like the guy just fine, but man they are pushing him hard.
- Swerve vs. Roddy was so damn good. They meshed so well and I loved how much shine they gave to Scott. Really hope he can spin this into more of a push. Crowd got behind him and the match delivered big.
- Dakota vs. Bianca was pretty good. The crowd wasn't really here for it, but I thought they did some cool stuff. The standing SSP from Bianca was nuts. Don't think I've ever seen her do that before. I'm not the biggest fan of Dakota losing here, but I like Bianca a lot and she delivered here so ultimately I am fine with it. Bianca vs. Ripley should be a lot of fun.
- The three-way promo stuff with Undisputed and Dream and Ciampa was whatever. As with a lot of the AEW stuff, it served its purpose to build the Roddy/Dream rematch and the return of Ciampa. The picture of Roddy was a trash bit though. Attitude Era-level stupid juvenile humor.
- WALTER vs. KUSHIDA fucking ruled. Every single thing I wanted it to be. Go out of your way to see it. When I said I thought nothing would match Bucks vs. Private Party, this was the thing that either did or came damn close. Just a perfect big guy/little guy match. KUSHIDA's limb work was fantastic, WALTER's selling made it even better. The way they worked what I assume was a botch by KUSHIDA into the story of the match was great. The finish worked for me perfectly, very similar to the Bate/WALTER finish of KUSHIDA surviving everything before attrition just caught up to him and WALTER wore him down.
- Overall a show that had great wrestling but the flow was thrown off hard by all the video packages. It's also getting harder to vibe with the show being in such a small building compared to AEW. It just sticks out so much and makes the show feel so small time.

So for week two, I think it's much the same as week one. NXT had the better wrestling, but AEW just felt like a way bigger show. The presentation of AEW just blows NXT out of the water. NXT feels like an indie show. They gotta get out of that building. I also think AEW is doing a better job so far of getting me really invested in what's coming. I'm excited for the NXT stuff to a degree, and I have a higher confidence that those matches will be great than the AEW stuff, but AEW has done a better job making everything feel major and big time. A big part of that goes back again to the venue and presentation.

Top three matches of the night
1. WALTER vs. KUSHIDA
2. Young Bucks vs. Private Party
3. Isaiah Scott vs. Roderick Strong

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Imagine thinking weekly wrestling TV was dead because of WWE
Let's check in with NX..

Oh never mind, I'll stick with dynamite

SardonicRedEchidna-size_restricted.gif

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NXT looked dead to me whenever I flipped to it. Like the Fullsail crowd couldn't give a fuck. This was during Bianca vs Dakota and Roddy vs Whoever. Looked depressing.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
- Mox vs. Spears was another match that was just kind of there, but PAC on commentary made it a great segment. Remember when people thought he couldn't talk because WWE was giving him shit? Still don't at all like that Tully blatantly interfered right in front of the ref and the ref just did nothing. They gotta stop that. I loved the post-match with PAC attacking Kenny and Moxley walking away. It shows that there are degrees to things, and that Mox doesn't like Kenny but he's not the same level of asshole that PAC is.
Mox and Spears are good, their chemistry just doesn't mix well imo.
This is a bold faced lie.

Strong vs Swerve was the second hottest match of the show, and it was hot from the beginning
Don't be like that, tbh it's fine to be bs, as long as you don't take corporations too personal and harass other fans because of it.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
From reactions online looks like people really enjoyed NXT again.

Disparity is even bigger than last week thought for how much each show was being discussed. It'll be interesting when the ratings come in.
NXT's problem is purely presentation.

Can't really argue that. It always feels smaller than Dynamite. Even if top to bottom the matches are better.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Disparity is even bigger than last week though for how much each show was being discussed. It'll be interesting when the ratings come in.
Yes. Ratings will be super interesting this week. Especially after the end of the Fox premier and end of Hell in a Cell pissing people off.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with NXT in small arena.

They surely cant fill big arena without "aren't you fucking tired of WWE" catch that AEW have.

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
Yeah. I think they should move out of Full Sail, but they don't need to move into major arenas right away either. That would be dumb as hell. But they won't be able to move out of Full Sail until early 2020 it seems considering they've sold tickets through most of December.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
NXT's problem is purely presentation.

Can't really argue that. It always feels smaller than Dynamite. Even if top to bottom the matches are better.
Presentation is massively important with TV. It the end it doesn't matter how many nonstop banger technical matches they have every week, if the presentation isn't there to pull in viewers outside of existing fans.

I don't think NXT was put in a fair spot by WWE. They are working their asses off but are going to get smashed by AEW every time. NXT should have went to Tuesday.

AEW is a bigger thing that's gunning for Raw and Smackdown, not NXT.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017

Disparity is even bigger than last week though for how much each show was being discussed. It'll be interesting when the ratings come in.
Nxt's quality took a dip during the final tapings building up to Brooklyn 4. They wanted to get rid of most remaining storylines leading up to it, hence why the dip in quality. It was good again with the tapings after Brooklyn 4 though, when they restarted Lee vs Dijak.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Shawn Spears is just a fucking guy. He always was, and he still is. I was fooled by him at a time, but outside of the Cody angle (or which the biggest part was a botch) he's been nothing.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
My current issue with NXT is that while I've been enjoying its TV run, I'm still having a hard time really letting myself care about any of the stories because there's a part of me that knows call ups will still happen because of what NXT fundamentally is.

And as long as I know the danger of the main roster still looms, I just can't be that invested even if I enjoy the Takeovers and shows.

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
The one that lasted three months? You're calling it on her after that?
No, I'm just feeling like that's what her NXT Women's Championship reign would turn into if she won the title. And like salaciousdrift said, I'm not exactly a fan of someone who had a heated gamer moment and issued an "IM SORRY YOU WERE OFFENDED" apology getting a spotlight.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So next week for both shows looks like:

Dynamite
- Jericho vs. Darby for the AEW Title
- Britt vs. Riho for the Women's Title
- Best Friends vs. SCU
- Lucha Bros vs. Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy

NXT
- Dijak vs. Lee rubber match
- Pete Dunne vs. Damian Priest