1. Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612
    Member OP

Takahashi-san (producer of Octopath and Bravely Default) and Nishiki-san (composer) are currently at the Japan Expo in France and jeuxvideo.com had the chance to conduct an interview with them about their upcoming game, Octopath Traveler :

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/87572...ncu-comme-l-evolution-de-final-fantasy-vi.htm

Here are some interesting parts of the interview :

The source of their inspiration :

- Both are 33 years old and grew up during the golden era of SNES JRPGs with the gameplay and visual style of the time (pixel-art).
    - When Takahashi entered Square-Enix, he wanted to do these kind of games but he was told that it was easier to develop more modern-looking games. After years of hard and successful work, he was finally able to do the kind of projects he initially wanted to work on.
    - In terms of game mechanics, if Bravely was a spiritual successor of FFV, Octopath has been developped as a spiritual successor of FFVI

The art-style :

- He wanted to work on a new IP with a strong visual style that players would enjoy.
    - When the development of Octopath began, they made a demo exclusively in pixel-art. They then realized that it was prettier in their memories and that's why they decided to include modern effects with the Unreal Engine, especially lightning effects. They feel that it is a good mix between both generations.

[​IMG]

The music :

- Nishiki-san grew up with games like Final Fantasy and the SaGa series. Both franchises have influenced his work on Octopath

- He initially wondered whether he should try to adapt to the global audience or keep his own style. He asked himself what Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy) would do in the same situation and therefore he finally decided to keep his own style.

- Octopath's OST is influenced by his love of clasical music, he mentionned Bach, and movie musics.

Moreover... :

- The first demo has been downloaded 1,5 millions times.
    - People's reactions to the demo were overwhelmingly positive, even more so in Europe than in Japan.
    - their demo target was gamers in their 30s,40s who were seeking the same great sensations they had during the Golden Era of JRPGs.
    - They felt that the Switch was the perfect platform for that with its ability to play 1h in bed before sleeping.

2. Renna Hazel

Renna Hazel

Never played FF6 but I hope I end up enjoying this. JRPGs are so hit and miss for me. Still need to try that demo.

3. ghibli99

ghibli99

Not to kick this off with a slightly OT comment, but Bravely Default was developed as the spiritual successor to FF5? I had no idea. I love FF5.

4. FiXalaS

FiXalaS

This interview is only making the wait harder..

5. Phantom Thief

Phantom Thief

Oh my god, that was like the perfect thing to say.
    I cannot get more hyped for this game than I already am, I just need it to be next week already.

6. KtotheRoc

KtotheRoc

I'm playing through FF VI these days. This news just excites me.

7. Rezbit

Rezbit

I'm still not sold on the battle system, but the game looks and sounds stunning.

I feel like this is really going to sell like hotcakes.

8. Pokiehl

Pokiehl

Takahashi-san deliberately messing with my sleep schedule.

9. blondkayvon

blondkayvon

With each passing day the wait for this game gets more unbearable. I really hope not only Square Enix but the gaming industry as a whole looks at this and sees there is a huge audience in their late 20s to early 40s and that not everything needs to be targeted at adolescent males.

10. SOLDIER

SOLDIER

But.....it’s........Sixty Dollaaaaaarrrrrrsssss

11. cw_sasuke

cw_sasuke

Price just went up.

12. DecoReturns

DecoReturns

Perfect for Switch comment by SE themselves lol.

Anyways. I’m really excited for this. I hope we get more JRPG like this, and they don’t have to be pixle art. Just the style of gameplay.

13. Well then...

14. Xavi

Xavi

More like a successor to Final Fantasy: The 4 heroes of Light.

Edit: Mechanically, yes, FF5.

15. Piscus

Piscus

This is exactly what I want to hear. Next, they should just actually remake FF6 in this engine.

16. NoMoreTrolls

NoMoreTrolls

Now it's 80 dollars lol

17. kyorii

kyorii

Spiritual Successor but still no Ito. D: Not sure how that makes me feel about it still.

18. Interfectum

Interfectum

Wow if I wasn't sold before I am now.

19. Phendrift

Phendrift

Fucking amazing.

20. Kamek

Kamek

Welp, this is the game I'm most hyped for.

21. MrSaturn99

MrSaturn99

Did whoever write this confuse Earthbound with the Earthbound Papas?

22. Sebastopa

Sebastopa

I really wish I could enjoy this game... :(

23. Sammy Samusu

Sammy Samusu

The new FF6.

24. Nemesis162

Nemesis162

Pretty interesting. I never knew that Bravely Default was made as a spiritual successor of FFV. And that interview just shows that the project is much more on Square Enix side of Bussiness Division than Acquire (and the same for Bravely).

Also, I thought that Asano was the producer of the game?

25. Kain-Nosgoth

Kain-Nosgoth

eh... i loved the demo but in term of writing and system we're really faaaaaaaaar from FFVI for now, we'll see with the full game

at least the soundtracks will be amazing

26. Kaitos

Kaitos

Yeah, I don’t know if I love the battle system, but everything else is stunning. It’s going to sell really well.

27. MELLO

MELLO

PERFECT

28. K Samedi

K Samedi

Everything they decided to do with this game makes sense. I like the direction they went in with this. It does resemble FFVI a lot tbh.

29. RailWays

RailWays

So looking forward to this game

30. jred250

jred250

31. Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612
    Member OP

Edited, thanks ;)

32. Bartend3r

Bartend3r
    Banned Member

Song to my heart my fellow friend. Having the best game of all time as inspiration only brings good riddance. Thank you.

33. Thoraxes

Thoraxes

Ha, the musical influences thing is very obvious when you listen to the battle theme especially. The counterpoint in there is pretty standard.

And it sounds gooooood.

34. Gotdatmoney

Gotdatmoney

It says pretty clearly rhe gameplay is the spiritual successor :/

35. Orioto

Orioto

This is completely stupid. A pixel art game can be 5x better looking than that.

36. mael

mael

Great article but I'm pretty sure Uematsu has nothing to do with the game Earthbound and this is more in reference to Earthbound papas which is the name of Uematsu's latest band.

37. Bjones

Bjones

That’s one way to sell the game. Idk if I would say it’s on that level but the 3 hour demo was great none the less.

38. rocketpunch

rocketpunch

Great interview. Said all the right things. And yes, the Switch is awesome for playing games for 1-2 hours in bed before going to sleep. That’s pretty much how I’ve been playing Hollow Knight and it’s amazing.

39. Not surprising considering that FFVI had multiple protagonists.

Glad they have good inspirations.

40. Vicious17

Vicious17
    Banned Member

But will it have an Opera scene?

41. Plum

Plum

This is going to be my first classical JRPG not named Persona (if Persona games even count?) so I'm really hoping it lives up to expectations. If I like this I'll definitely go buy a SNES Mini and play FFVI.

42. MrNewVegas

MrNewVegas

Yup. It’s going to be headed to the pantheon of great JRPGs.

43. Rayearth

Rayearth

I believe he's talking about the job system. FFV is my favorite FF and I loved BD.

44. Nemesis162

Nemesis162

I'm sure that this part of multiple protagonists is actually Saga

45. Derachi

Derachi

Ever get sold on a game in one sentence? Because I think I just did. Hope there are trains to suplex!

46. Doof

Doof

Rectify this immediately! FF6 is one of the best JRPGs ever made.

47. Lucentto

Lucentto

I could feel it through playing the demo. It instantly reminded me of FF VI.

48. BlueTsunami

BlueTsunami

bUt is it WORTH sixTy dOLLarS?!

*hands on hip*

Lawdy imma buy a Switch for this

49. aggrocrog

aggrocrog

As someone who is 33, I can confirm that if they were seeking to woo ppl in my demo, they succeeded.

50. Shepherd

Shepherd

I've spent ~100h with the Bravely series. You don't need to worry.

51. FiXalaS

FiXalaS

I thought BD being inspired by FF5 was obvious.

You can do more with BD's gameplay than OT