• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
If you get a chance, please do. no big deal if you can't though, thanks!

You wanted the card right?
CC5b5ae.jpg

Hope this is ok.

nVULhCi.jpg

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This game would look perfect to me if it toned down the light effects and color filters, and especially if the spell effects were the same resolution as the sprites. Those super high-res spell effects look (paradoxically, I know) jarring and cheaper to me than if they were pixel art too.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
https://kotaku.com/octopath-traveler-is-nothing-like-final-fantasy-vi-1827391950

Octopath is nothing like Final Fantasy VI—it's more like a SaGa game, with some experimental ideas that work, and some that really don't.
That's the most disorienting thing about Octopath Traveler...from what I've played so far, none of these stories connect in any way....as of the third chapter of each character's story, they're all entirely self-contained. Your party of characters will only interact through brief optional vignettes called "banter" that you can watch between cut-scenes. During each character's main story, that character is the only one who talks or appears on screen. Everyone else is just invisible.
This is unsettling for several reasons. For one, all of these chapters follow the same exact rhythm (cut-scene, explore town, go to dungeon, fight boss), so doing them all in a row is quite repetitive. But what feels strangest is that no matter how big your party is, the game will always act as if the protagonist of any given chapter is on their own. As you progress through each story, some of which are very interesting (Tressa's is my favorite so far), that story's hero will interact with a few NPCs, and that's about it. It all feels very off-putting, and contributes to some structural problems that you'll start to notice after playing for a while.
So yes, this is nothing like Final Fantasy VI, with its grand setpieces, imposing arch-villain, and meaningful character interactions. I like Octopath Traveler so far, and I'm especially digging the game's combat system. But this is a unique game—comparisons to JRPGs of yesteryear are not particularly useful.

Not sure if posted yet.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
party members in ff6 are supposed to team and interact , canonically and work towards a larger plot. Nothing in this game implies that so far.

You ARE aware that the Octopath demo only contains chapter 1 and those are supposed to be the introductory chapters for the individual characters before they join and actually engage in party interactions. Even so the the latest preview from jshrierer shows there are some vignettes with a degree of interaction between the cast, despite how small it is.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
You ARE aware that the Octopath demo only contains chapter 1 and those are supposed to be the introductory chapters for the individual characters before they join and actually engage in party interactions.
Its the same through chapter 3 according to some previews. Party members don't interact and are invisible unless its that characters story.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping. I just don't think the writing is there, from what we've seen. It's too verbose, with scenes dragging on at least twice as long as they should. FFVI (and for that matter, CT) knew how to say more with less. With bland, undeveloped characters, this has the potential to be a massive slog.

Octopath's cutscenes are just going to be a bore. Minutes on end of monologue and dialogue make for poor narrative design. FFVI in contrast had cutscenes just long enough to get the message and feel across while allowing players to get back into the game.

If Squeenix truly wants to remain relevant, they need to look back at Hiroyuki Ito's directing and design techniques on VI, IX and XII.

Yeah I have no worries about mechanics or visuals, but story and character development remain my chief concerns after the demo. Those elements can't be assessed until the whole game is out.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Octopath success also hopefully will let SE greenlight new SaGa on Switch sooner.
I'm very optimistic because obviously Takahashi and Nishiki both take inspiration from Romancing SaGa.
The gap from U:SaGa to Scarlet Grace was really atrocious.

Having said that SaGa Scarlet Grace is coming next month to Switch.
Can't wait for English version and hopefully more info will be announced soon.
I can't wait for people to play this one.
Hope they see the beauty of it.

I'm personaly quite happy with this summer geting better and better each month.
Ys.... Octo......and Scarlet at the top (I don't see myself like Octo more but we never know).

There's also cosmic star heroine I never played I August also I guess.

Aphex

Apr 13, 2018
I'm in the target age group for this game and I'm stoked about how good the game might be. However, I'm also jaded by my experiences in the past with Square-Enix and trying to bring back "old school JRPGs". Hopefully, this is the one game they get right in that pursuit.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Octopath success also hopefully will let SE greenlight new SaGa on Switch sooner.
I'm very optimistic because obviously Takahashi and Nishiki both take inspiration from Romancing SaGa.
The gap from U:SaGa to Scarlet Grace was really atrocious.

Having said that SaGa Scarlet Grace is coming next month to Switch.
Can't wait for English version and hopefully more info will be announced soon.

I think if Octopath succeeds, they'll either make a sequel or use some of the ideas for a remake of Chrono Trigger / FF6.

This is NOT a SaGa game, otherwise they would have used that brand.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I love love love the visual identity of the game but it doesn't really seem at all like FFVI to me in terms of gameplay or structure. They're right that FFVI is very very very character-personality-centric, though.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Those preview posts broke my heart and my hype....:(

Keep in mind that JShrierer has some pretty high standards so devs throwing around FF6 as a inspiration or spiritual successor is more likely to be taken with a degree of scrutiny and as result will make his critique much more harsher compared to other RPGs.

I am also the same way. Seeing as my favorite RPGs are FF6, Suikoden II, and Chrono Trigger and nothing, almost nothing has yet to reach the highest highs of those three games.

The only ones that have came close are the Trails in the Sky series and Dragon Quest VIII.

I am cautiously optimistic about Octopath Traveler though.

Last edited:

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really gotta give ffvi another go. I've tried playing it twice in the past but it started way too slow for my liking. And I think it was pretty difficult. But reading through this thread and hearing how many ppl love this game I gotta try it again.

I also just discovered that it's on the snes classic, which I have unopened in my office. Is that the best way to play it today?

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I really gotta give ffvi another go. I've tried playing it twice in the past but it started way too slow for my liking. And I think it was pretty difficult. But reading through this thread and hearing how many ppl love this game I gotta try it again.

I also just discovered that it's on the snes classic, which I have unopened in my office. Is that the best way to play it today?
I personally believe it is.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

Yes. In fact it's current challenge game for the SNES Classic Club.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/sn...dition-super-thread.26622/page-2#post-9966908

Valus

Nov 21, 2017

It's a perfectly fine way to play. There is a GBA version that redid the translation and added a little content but it's nothing special. The mobile/steam remake is horrible and should be avoided.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

It's a perfectly fine way to play. There is a GBA version that redid the translation and added a little content but it's nothing special. The mobile/steam remake is horrible and should be avoided.

Thanks guy! Guess I will open the snes classic and give it another go. Glad to see there should be an active community here playing the game currently. I may need some motivation once I dive in, hopefully this weekend