• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lotta conversation around this game lately, looking forward to finally jumping in. I've never actually finished a final fantasy, so this will be pretty new to me.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe that's why I wasn't too into the game, besides the bloom hurting my eyes. Cool interview, though.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I love Bravely and am hyped for Octopath but man I still wish we also could've gotten FFV/VI remakes using their engines.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Interesting. I never liked FF6 that much but I've enjoyed the demos for Octopath. I don't really see the similarities in gameplay design; maybe the fact that you can switch job classes and mix and match abilities later compared to Magicite (I never got far enough in FF6 to use that system)?

Ironically I love FF5 and have never played Bravely Default. Hopefully it gets ported to PC or Switch someday!

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Did they stare into my soul to find a way a way to sell me this game ?
Cause that wasn't necessary, it has been preordered for months

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
- When the development of Octopath began, they made a demo exclusively in pixel-art. They then realized that it was prettier in their memories and that's why they decided to include modern effects with the Unreal Engine, especially lightning effects. They feel that it is a good mix between both generations.

mjgrin.png
this gon get some people pressed

not me tho

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I like everything about the ingame art style which is just garish and jarring. Would have been amazing if they could have translated the handdrawn artwork into the graphics or given it a painterly look.

Might still check it out, haven't tried the second time.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I...don't really see it. It doesn't feel like FFVI or an FF game at all. It feels like a spiritual successor to Romancing SaGa.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
BD being a spiritual successor to FF5 makes a lot of sense. A lot of it feels like it started off as a DS remake of 5 like they did with 4 and then got upgraded early in development.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I...don't really see it. It doesn't feel like FFVI or an FF game at all. It feels like a spiritual successor to Romancing SaGa.
Even better.
SaGa was always the superior franchise anyway.
I like everything about the ingame art style which is just garish and jarring. Would have been amazing if they could have translated the handdrawn artwork into the graphics or given it a painterly look.

Might still check it out, haven't tried the second time.
I feel like if they wanted to make a "modern" version of the game they talked about, this is about the best way they could go about it.
Look up the artworks for FF1-6 and the SaGa games, it's exactly like that with gorgeous illustrations that end up translated in 32x32 pixel art.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
FF6 got me engaged within the first minute. That 3-hour Octopath Traveller demo? Eh. Kinda tedious and bland to be honest.
I hope the full game will prove me wrong of course but I'll wait for the reviews before I make the plunge.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
World of Ruin is a better analogy, IMO. Part of what makes SaGa SaGa is the weird-ass power scaling and lack of a real "progression" structure.

Nah, the World of Ruin works because it's a game about reuniting the characters you already know by exploring a changed version of the world you're already familiar with. I don't think Octopath functions the same because you're wandering around places you've never been before, meeting people you don't know. And the characters basically don't interact with each other at all.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gawd-effing-damnit.

I was doing so well waiting for this game. Patiently. No big deal. Was going to arrive in my mailbox next Friday.

Now..sigh...now Im hyped as eff. They knew all the notes and buzzwords to say in interview didn't they. Even the target audience.

UGH!

Looking forward to playing this one. A nice meaty JRPG for the summer is always welcomed

Did they stare into my soul to find a way a way to sell me this game ?
Cause that wasn't necessary, it has been preordered for months
Ha, this. Exactly this.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I love Bravely and am hyped for Octopath but man I still wish we also could've gotten FFV/VI remakes using their engines.

If Octopath does well, I could easily see that in the cards. Engine is done. Content only needs updates to fit the 2DHD shift and a reworking of the effects, which isn't small but is way easier than a new game from whole cloth. It would be a relatively easy way for Square to milk nostalgia dollars, which we know they love to do.

Antitype

Oct 27, 2017
Ever get sold on a game in one sentence? Because I think I just did. Hope there are trains to suplex!

"Inspired by the timeless classic Chrono Trigger, I am Setsuna is a great homage to the JRPG masterpieces of yesteryear."

Never take those sentences too seriously, you risk being disappointed.

Turtleboats

Nov 13, 2017
All of those bullet points I would say hit home during my playthrough of the demos.

That feeling of playing a classic snes jrpg!

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Too bad it's not.

I mean, I guess in a very simplistic way becasue it has a bunch of characters each with their own story it does. I wish this played and flowed like FF6. I found it to be a drag and mostly uninteresting in both demos.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think it depends on which character you start with.

Do any of the characters start with more than one party member? Every chapter I've tried is a character alone wandering around and talking to themselves. It feels really empty to start with just one character alone, and the battle system isn't any fun until you have multiple people in your battle party.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
If Octopath does well, I could easily see that in the cards. Engine is done. Content only needs updates to fit the 2DHD shift and a reworking of the effects, which isn't small but is way easier than a new game from whole cloth. It would be a relatively easy way for Square to milk nostalgia dollars, which we know they love to do.
I still want V too though. Maybe Silicon Studio (Creek & River?) can do that after they do Bravely Collection on Switch? ;)

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
When Takahashi entered Square-Enix, he wanted to do these kind of games but he was told that it was easier to develop more modern-looking games

But the internet told me that they were being lazy and took the easy way with retro graphics in HD?

Was the internet wrong?

: O

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have they mentioned what the big overall story will be or is that still saved for the game? I played two characters and the demo and Am wondering how I'll handle all 8 stories in less than 80 hours.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Ever get sold on a game in one sentence? Because I think I just did. Hope there are trains to suplex!
"Inspired by the timeless classic Chrono Trigger, I am Setsuna is a great homage to the JRPG masterpieces of yesteryear."

Never take those sentences too seriously, you risk being disappointed.
Or this one, lol:

Takashi Tokita: Cancelled Chrono Trigger Sequel Chrono Break Lives On In Final Fantasy Dimensions II
During a recent interview with Chrono Trigger director Takashi Tokita, I asked if RPG fans will ever see another Chrono Trigger game. His answer was interesting to say the least.

"There was actually a time when I planned a new title called Chrono Break," Tokita explained via email. "Though it was canceled before accomplishing anything, the overall idea for the title was carried over to my latest game, Final Fantasy Dimensions II. Aemo's character setting and the balance between the three characters at the beginning…these were based on the original concept [for Chrono Break] but were reworked for this title."

Source.

Oct 29, 2017
Considering the lack of a central lead role and a broad focus on a wide cast which have their own stories? The FF6 comparison actually makes a lot of sense.

Can't wait! :D

NateSnacks

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I haven't been this excited for anything by SE since the Dragon Quest 8/Final Fantasy 12 era. That's.....something.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to lie, something about the game actually makes me physically feel ill. I have the game preordered and am very excited, but I don't know, there's something about how it looks that makes me nauseous even though it's a good looking game. Especially in battle.

I think it's all the filters and lighting and bloom and shit.