• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
It's only misleading if you somehow thought a game not in the FF series would somehow be a literal successor to an FF title. It was pretty obvious it meant in terms of mechanics
I literally jumped into this thread thinking the exact same thing. Like the game would be in a similar universe. Once again- misleading, but its whatever.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wanted someone with a somewhat unusual ability for this type of game.
Which is why I didn't start with the Thief even though he looked like the coolest charcter to me but I've stolen shit in dozens of rpgs and mmorpgs before. I hesitated between the Dancer and the Merchant and went with the latter.

The scholar is basically Sherlock Holmes. Sort of. One of the quests in the demo had you question suspects but then it kinda gave you the answer.

Olberic can challenge people to duels
H'aanit can sic her pets in towns people
I think the healer priest lady who's name I forget can get people to follow her and then summon them in battle? Shes one of the ones I haven't played.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
This interview is only making the wait harder..

This is the closest thing I've seen to dumping out a gallon of gasoline and flicking a lit match into the puddle. Square-Enix making that hard sell. *fans face*

I hope this game delivers. While playing the demo last night I got a strong pang of nostalgia of being a kid on summer vacation and spending the night playing VI or Chrono Trigger. Last time I got that feeling was playing Persona 3 at launch.

But will it have an Opera scene?

There's definitely something that sure looks like that in one of the recent trailers... Oh, someone embedded it on the previous page. Nice!

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I really dislike this PR talk, they did the same with I am Setsuna being inspired by Chrono Trigger and look how it turned out. I don't appreciate namedropping to boost your game. He has said nothing that makes me realize it's a successor to either FF6 or SaGa m, which is fine, it's better to stand on your own. What we saw both in terms of story structure and party structure seems already fundamentally different from SaGa and especially FF6.

It's funny too because someone said reviewers are already saying it's the second coming of Chrono Cross in terms of story, so this game is everything and nothing at once. Throw everything that sticks: the video game.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Mar 23, 2018
Hahahahaha, folks around are already having a hard time waiting and now they go say this LOL I hope it's an awesome game.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely got that vague FFVI feeling when playing the demo, so I believe it. Hope it turns out great.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Yeah I don't doubt that. I picked the merchant.
Is there a consensus on which starter character is the most interesting?

I started with Alfyn and I did not like him as much as Primrose. Primrose is up there I'm sure. Heard good stuff about Ophelia and Therion.

Do any of the characters start with more than one party member? Every chapter I've tried is a character alone wandering around and talking to themselves. It feels really empty to start with just one character alone, and the battle system isn't any fun until you have multiple people in your battle party.

You are correct but many games let you start with one character and soon enough you'll get the 2nd+ party member. is ok

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I really dislike this PR talk, they did the same with I am Setsuna being inspired by Chrono Trigger and look how it turned out. I don't appreciate namedropping to boost your game. He has said nothing that makes me realize it's a successor to either FF6 or SaGa m, which is fine, it's better to stand on your own. What we saw both in terms of story structure and party structure seems already fundamentally different from SaGa and especially FF6.

Keep talking and deflating the hype hope.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Published by Nintendo. Ensures I will never get to play the one game I've been waiting on for two decades. I'll have to live vicariously through people. I hope it's good.
Well yeah. Tomoya Asano produced games (ever since he became a producer In Square Enix in fact) have nearly all been Nintendo exclusive titles. You might want to get a Switch at some point though since he has more games planned for the Switch.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You are correct but many games let you start with one character and soon enough you'll get the 2nd+ party member. is ok

Right. The big issue is just how boring fights are at the beginning. FFVI started you alone, as did FFVII, but both games had a second character join up within minutes of starting, whereas this game has you do like an hour of dungeons and fights and a whole boss battle before you get your first party member, and its combat just...isn't interesting with a solo character.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I absolutely love what I played of the demo and to be honest, it's the quickest an RPG has grabbed me while playing it since the SNES/PS1 era, but I feel like namedropping FFVI like that is going to (or by the looks of this thread, already has) create some horrifically high expectations. I think what's been shown of the game so far is good enough to stand on it's own.

Basically.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted someone with a somewhat unusual ability for this type of game.
Which is why I didn't start with the Thief even though he looked like the coolest charcter to me but I've stolen shit in dozens of rpgs and mmorpgs before. I hesitated between the Dancer and the Merchant and went with the latter.

Sorry for bombarding you with replies, but for path actions:

Stealing/Purchasing are pretty generic, but very powerful. Olberic and H'aanit's Challenge/Provoke is fun(ny), allowing you to beat up NPCs for items, or to unblock doorways they're in front of, which you can then often combine with Steal/Purchase on NPCs inside the blocked area.

Alfyn and Cyrus' Inquire/Scrutinize are actually super interesting. Every NPC has a backstory to read, which can translate into finding hidden items or unlocking passive effects like shop discounts / stealing chance increase. Some backstories are really surprising, or correlate with the items in their inventory, or attacks they use when challenged. Really expands the world-building.

Primrose and Tressa's Allure/Guide provide very customizable gameplay. Every NPC has different spells and power ratings.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Right. The big issue is just how boring fights are at the beginning. FFVI started you alone, as did FFVII, but both games had a second character join up within minutes of starting, whereas this game has you do like an hour of dungeons and fights and a whole boss battle before you get your first party member, and its combat just...isn't interesting with a solo character.

So...I started with the dancer...which made that initial prologue story QUITE difficult, but seemed to be the....thing to do, without spoiling things.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Keep talking and deflating the hype hope.

Nah, this game will do well. I just dislilke the studio's PR. I remember how FF The 4 Heroes of Light was supposed to be a throwback but it ended up being an utterly terrible game with « ironic, self-aware writing » that turned out to be bad.

After a decade you'd think they'd be content to say : « this is my game and it can stand y'all by itself ».

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I can't agree with fights being boring. They felt longer than they should be, especially against multiple enemies, but other than that , it felt like standard JRPG stuff. Attack with weaknesses, defend when you need to, etc. Come to think of it, it vaguely reminds me of SMT games with how important weaknesses and "breaking" is.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
The game has some amazing artwork in terms of the environments, but maybe it's nostalgia, I think FFVI has better sprites. The characters and enemies in Octopath Traveler look off to me, like it's two different art styles clashing.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember VI's combat being very interesting in the opening either.

As a matter of fact that's the case for most JRPGS I feel. You start with barely any shit, so you just spam the same thing.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I can't agree with fights being boring. They felt longer than they should be, especially against multiple enemies, but other than that , it felt like standard JRPG stuff. Attack with weaknesses, defend when you need to, etc. Come to think of it, it vaguely reminds me of SMT games with how important weaknesses and "breaking" is.

Right. They take forever because you have to spend all your time building up SP, then breaking the enemies one at a time and then using a high-charge attack to kill them so they don't counterattack you to death while you're recovering.

It's fine once you have multiple characters, but for the first hour it's just so damn tedious.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

It's funny too because someone said reviewers are already saying it's the second coming of Chrono Cross in terms of story, so this game is everything and nothing at once. Throw everything that sticks: the video game.

Same. We've come to a point where it's put up or shut up. Game sounds fun, but we shall see.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm 100% the demographic here. Good, we want more developers to make games for my age-group. I'm sure I'll get lots of disagreement here, but modern games just don't compare imo; gaming in the 90's and gaming today (mostly talking about the AAA space) is just so vastly different in lots of ways that it feels like something else completely. The demo's sold me hard on the game. I hope we'll get a patch to turn of some of the post-processing though, I want to feel the pixels, not have them blurred like they are.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What? Tokyo RPG Factory is an external company with a different producer. This game have different producers and is made by BD11. There's no relation between them even if they're part of the same company

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Square told him modern games were easier to make, so are they saying this is more expensive to make than modern game?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, the comparisons to other JRPGs' opening gameplay really confuse me.

There was nothing engaging about FFVI's early gameplay at all, even with 2 party members. You had Attack, Fire, Cure, and Steal, all against enemies and bosses that provided no challenge. It didn't get interesting until the Vargas fight on Mt. Kolts, and had no customization until you acquired Magicite from Zozo.

Octopath's combat gets thought-provoking (the extent depending on the character) by the first boss fight, less than an hour in. You'll also recruit your second party member at around the hour mark, which is when you got Edgar, your third party member in VI, and the first one with abilities that were at least visually fun.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Sorry for bombarding you with replies, but for path actions:

Stealing/Purchasing are pretty generic, but very powerful. Olberic and H'aanit's Challenge/Provoke is fun(ny), allowing you to beat up NPCs for items, or to unblock doorways they're in front of, which you can then often combine with Steal/Purchase on NPCs inside the blocked area.

Alfyn and Cyrus' Inquire/Scrutinize are actually super interesting. Every NPC has a backstory to read, which can translate into finding hidden items or unlocking passive effects like shop discounts / stealing chance increase. Some backstories are really surprising, or correlate with the items in their inventory, or attacks they use when challenged. Really expands the world-building.

Primrose and Tressa's Allure/Guide provide very customizable gameplay. Every NPC has different spells and power ratings.
Thanks, I appreciate all this info.
I'm gonna try Primrose first and then either Alfyn or Cyrus.

Oct 27, 2017
Octopath Traveler being a spiritual sequel to FF6 is quite the statement. However it is indeed a lofty goal to pursue.

Still day 1 please please be better than Bravely Default

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Same. We've come to a point where it's put up or shut up. Game sounds fun, but we shall see.

SBROTFL what?

Octopath Traveler has a much bigger production value than I am Setsuna.

There is nothing more to talk about this game, we know pretty much everything and we played the demo (you should at this point if you're interested), the game is really solid, and quite big, definitely not a low budget JRPG.

The combat system for example is like one of the best modern interpretation of turn-based for me.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Well they fucking succeeded. Because it's fantastic from what I've played of the demo. First jrpg since the ps2 era to evoke any kind of hype from me.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I appreciate all this info.
I'm gonna try Primrose first and then either Alfyn or Cyrus.
How can you decide what order you are going to play them in when you don't know which characters you will find first?

Alfyn's town is adjacent to Primrose's, so he's on the right track. Cyrus' is only two over from Primrose's, but in the opposite direction (but he can Fast Travel back to Sunshade).

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
That's some name dropping there, but I can see what they mean with what I played so far.
This game is going to be amazing for sure.