• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
What? Tokyo RPG Factory is an external company with a different producer. This game have different producers and is made by BD11. There's no relation between them even if they're part of the same company

SBROTFL what?

Octopath Traveler has a much bigger production value than I am Setsuna.

There is nothing more to talk about this game, we know pretty much everything and we played the demo (you should at this point if you're interested), the game is really solid, and quite big, definitely not a low budget JRPG.

The combat system for example is like one of the best modern interpretation of turn-based for me.
I think y'all are missing the point of that post

LaydinJinn

Oct 31, 2017
- their demo target was gamers in their 30s,40s who were seeking the same great sensations they had during the Golden Era of JRPGs.

I don't want to jump the gun because the game isn't out yet but holy moly I think they will achieve this with great success. As one of member the said demographic, every time I see a piece of media on Octopath I get this warm and fuzzy feeling inside.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
It is really a passion project. Takahashi litterally fought to be able to work on a game like that.

I think that it is his way to keep the spirit of the Golden JRPGs era alive.

You understand from his comments that Square Enix is not naturally doing it. It is still a part of their identity so I am happy that there is a new young generation here, ready to carry the torch.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
SBROTFL what?

Octopath Traveler has a much bigger production value than I am Setsuna.

There is nothing more to talk about this game, we know pretty much everything and we played the demo (you should at this point if you're interested), the game is really solid, and quite big, definitely not a low budget JRPG.

The combat system for example is like one of the best modern interpretation of turn-based for me.

What? Tokyo RPG Factory is an external company with a different producer. This game have different producers and is made by BD11. There's no relation between them even if they're part of the same company

That's not what I meant though. I'm talking about the PR speak of Square-Enix. I am Setsuna was touted as being heavily inspired by Chrono Trigger. That Octopath has a higher budget doesn't make the namedropping truer.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Well this topic hyped me up even more than I already was. Damn.

May 5, 2018
Just when my excitement couldn't get higher, this gets me more intrigued! I have yet to complete the demo as I think I have 35 minutes left? Should probably head over to where Cyrus is and recruit him before it's over.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not what I meant though. I'm talking about the PR speak of Square-Enix. I am Setsuna was touted as being heavily inspired by Chrono Trigger. That Octopath has a higher budget doesn't make the namedropping truer.

But it isn't a PR speak of SE, it's literally the Producer of the game saying what inspired him

Oct 27, 2017
How can you decide what order you are going to play them in when you don't know which characters you will find first?

Edit: or are you making 8 save files
The game lets you go back and play any chapter from any of the character's perspectives, and let's you even switch the character to focus on at the start of the next chapter, so it seems like you can see all their stories on a single playthrough

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Square told him modern games were easier to make, so are they saying this is more expensive to make than modern game?
Not necessarily more expensive to make, but likely more difficult to pitch as a full-scale idea and tougher to properly market compared to jist doing what everyone expects. It took time and getting some successes under his belt to get them to greenlight and fund this retro-era love letter kind of project. I recall Ono at Capcom having to similarly put time in on other games before they finally listened to his pet project, Street Fighter IV.

I imagine the initial pitch of Octopath's style probably went over similarly to how it's been received on message boards. "Looks too much like a budget title," "hard to sell to the mass market, " etc.

This game's been on my radar since its first showing two Januaries ago, comments like this are really exciting to me, since even if it's not a direct continuation or anything, you can tell where their heart for the project is and they're definitely taking cues from the right sources.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

I think you're misattributing malicious or deceptive intent to the namedropping in this context. Takahashi is explaining his personal motivations in game development, and Octopath is the spiritual successor in his mind to sprite-based games he grew up with, chiefly FFVI.

That Setsuna was a mediocre and unloved game doesn't mean its developers' were less inspired by Chrono Trigger in myriad ways. They simply didn't have the budget or talent to achieve that vision.

Oct 27, 2017

If Xenoblade Chronicles 2 director said their game was inspired by FF7 and Masuda of Gamefreak said their game was inspired by Breath of Fire, would one invalidate the other simply because they're both talking about RPGs and have the same publisher? Why do people keep even mentioning Setsuna? It's not relevant whatsoever aside from also being an SE published RPG

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017

I had more fun playing 4-5 hours of the two demo of Octopath than what i played of I am Setsuna (half of the game) and Lost Sphear (just the demo). I don't feel that sense of fatigue here i had playing I am Setsuna.

The comparison with FF6 fits perfectly, cause if you play the game, it really looks like a FF6 remake with a different story, with some touches from SaGa and Live A Live and lots of tweaks to make it feel more modern (and it does)

We know pretty much everything about this game, the combat system, the visuals, everything about the gameplay, the UI, how the environments are structured,...

The only part we can't talk here is the story and the difficulty.

About the PR statements, i don't understand what's wrong: yes I am Setsuna and Lost Sphear were inspired by Chrono Trigger, but that doesn't mean they are on par with it.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
The real news here is that it was apparently not obvious to some people what Bravely Default's inspiration was.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
But it isn't a PR speak of SE, it's literally the Producer of the game saying what inspired him

It is quite literally PR speak, this is a sanctioned interview made in France.

I think you're misreading the namedropping in this context. Takahashi is explaining his personal motivations in game development, and Octopath is the spiritual successor in his mind to sprite-based games he grew up with, chiefly FFVI.

That Setsuna was a mediocre and unloved game doesn't mean its developers' were less inspired by Chrono Trigger in myriad ways. They simply didn't have the budget or talent to achieve that vision.

What I mean is that for both of them, listing their inspirations are neither an indication of quality, nor is it an indication that the inspiration is effectively in the game. There is a difference between what you think these games were and how it actually translate in your game. So it's a whole statement of nothing.

If Xenoblade Chronicles 2 director said their game was inspired by FF7 and Masuda of Gamefreak said their game was inspired by Breath of Fire, would one invalidate the other simply because they're both talking about RPGs and have the same publisher? Why do people keep even mentioning Setsuna? It's not relevant whatsoever aside from also being an SE published RPG

It's extremely relevant, though. I'm talking about namedropping. If the only thing that you want is a more timely example, we can take Final Fantasy The 4 Heroes of Light as an example. From the very same producer, touted as a throwback, only to end up completely flubbing what made these traditional games so good.

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm really excited for this game. The Bravely games are 2 of my favorite games of all time and both Octopath demos were excellent. The only downside is I'll be out of the country when it launches and won't be able to play it until the end of the month.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I've probably played 4 hours of OT in its demos, and played through 4 different opening character scenarios. I can see the FF6 inspiration especially in the music and sprites. But it's missing the diversity of scenario that FF6 had, as well as the epicness of FF6. There doesn't seem to be any major plot thread keeping everything together. Now it's possible that will develop after you recruit everyone. Also the FF6 characters were more expressive than OT with more animations.

Right now OT feels more like Treasure of the Rudras or RS3 than FF6 to me. The story is intimately focused on individual characters rather than a greater external story.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think it's time for a media blackout for me starting now. Everything about this project sounds wonderful!

Thanks for sharing.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I've probably played 4 hours of OT in its demos, and played through 4 different opening character scenarios. I can see the FF6 inspiration especially in the music and sprites. But it's missing the diversity of scenario that FF6 had, as well as the epicness of FF6. There doesn't seem to be any major plot thread keeping everything together. Now it's possible that will develop after you recruit everyone. Also the FF6 characters were more expressive than OT with more animations.

Right now OT feels more like Live-A-Live or Treasure of the Rudras than FF6 to me. The story is intimately focused on individual characters rather than a greater external story.

Disagree on the epicness: Primrose final scene of the demo with the dialogue with Helgenish felt very epic, and the reveal of Helgenish in combat is exactly how i remembered Kafka in FFVI.

I'd say that aspect of the game depends on who you choose: as the developers said in the past some of the 8 stories are designed to be more emotional, more story heavy, while others are more generic but for example the character is more fun to use, or easier...

It takes the idea of different protagonists from Live-A-Live but the combat system for instance is entirely different, and much more like FF or even better more like Bravely Default.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dan Rykert from Giant Bomb was gushing about it during last week's beastcast. Anyone that knows Dan understands how significant that is.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree on the epicness: Primrose final scene of the demo with the dialogue with Helgenish felt very epic, and the reveal of Helgenish in combat is exactly how i remembered Kafka in FFVI.

I'd say that aspect of the game depends on who you choose: as the developers said in the past some of the 8 stories are designed to be more emotional, more story heavy, while others are more generic but for example the character is more fun to use, or easier...

It takes the idea of different protagonists from Live-A-Live but the combat system for instance is entirely different, and much more like FF or even better more like Bravely Default.

The "Master... go pleasure yourself" when the music kicks in is most certainly an epic moment.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
I am setsuna was maid as the spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger....so I won't hold my breath until impressions are out.