• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Square-Enix have announced that worldwide shipments and digital sales for OCTOPATH TRAVELER for Nintendo Switch have surpassed 1.5 million as of January 2019.

A mobile prequel OCTOPATH TRAVELER Tairiku no Hasha (literally 'OCTOPATH TRAVELER Champion of Continents') will also release for iOS/Android within 2019, with pre-registration open from 12 March, and will feature a brand new story.

On a new console game, Square-Enix said: "Everyone who waits for a new console game, sorry, we will need more time for developing."

http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/183307466224

Deserved success for the game, and no need to worry about the mobile game since they are working on a new console game as well.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Goes to show while Switch isn't PS/XB it's not exactly a "Nintendo only" system either. Third parties can have quite a bit of success if they are smart about it.

There is a definite bubbling ecosystem on Switch for 3rd party content.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, no need to worry folks. Not like there haven't been bigger hits to make the mobile turn.
*shaking in chair looks at Blizzard* And not like you folks don't have phones?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Goes to show while Switch isn't PS/XB it's not exactly a "Nintendo only" system either. Third parties can have quite a bit of success if they are smart about it.

We knew that already.
And this is a first party published game in the west, so maybe not the best example.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good for the game.

Great news, let's hope they now put enough money and time into a future sequel to iron the kinks out.

Even better. They will give the game less budget, less time, and have bigger expectations. The Bravely way (Hope not, but Square can be weird sometimes)

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We knew that already.
And this is a first party published game in the west, so maybe not the best example.

Well even in the last NPD thread you had people saying "Nintendo only system! Look at the top 10 software for the month!".

Fact is Switch has many 3rd party million sellers and more are certainly coming. By the time it's done I suspect it will be the most successful Nintendo platform for third parties since the SNES.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
That's another ~200k since December.

Well they even said before OT came out that future announcements will be co-ordinated with Nintendo so it's not hard to guess Switch will be the target.
Not sure if it's 200k per se. The numbers we had as of December did not include Japanese digital sales, which might have been notably high considering the sever shortages.

Ah yeah, I remember that comment. Switch was a no-brainer of course, I just wonder if they will expand the release systems. If they are coordinating with Nintendo, it becomes more likely that it will stay exclusive.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
congrats to the team, that's a fantastic result for a turn based rpg, specially for a new IP.

looking forward to see what the team does next.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
- 2D
- Sprite-Based
- Turn Based
- Traditional JRPG

Really bucking against the trends of the modern game industry.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018

Switch has mass apeal with core gamers. Big change since the wii era

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
And despite a incredibly crappy retail management that lead to sold outs for weeks.
Good to see this kind of games find success.

Now give me FF6 remake in that artstyle please

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I'm not sure if "massive" that accurate yet. It's certain way healthier than it was before though. Xenoblade 2 and Octopath are pulling in 1.5 million, which is a great sign. But Nier Automata pulled in 3.5 million on other platforms. I think it'll be interesting to see how titles like Fire Emblem and Astra Chain do this year.

OP
OP

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I'm not sure if "massive" that accurate yet. It's certain way healthier than it was before though. Xenoblade 2 and Octopath are pulling in 1.5 million, which is a great sign. But Nier Automata pulled in 3.5 million on other platforms. I think it'll be interesting to see how titles like Fire Emblem and Astra Chain do this year.

The comparison is a little unfair, Nier Automata was released on PS4 and PC (and now Xbox One too) while Octopath is a Switch exclusive.

It has been proven there is a big enough audience for RPG/JRPG on Switch, and 2019 is packed of those games on Switch. (between Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest XI S, Oninaki, Rune Factory,...)

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are you comparing Nier sales to Xenoblade? Nier came out on a system with how many units out there?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's really the first Nintendo system since the SNES with this kind of success that has a console like software attach rate that is a "gamer system". Not to disparage the Wii, but most of the third party success stories on that platform were things like Just Dance, EA Active, Carnival Games, etc.

Nov 23, 2017
Since when does core gamer just mean person who plays jrpgs including ones in niche genres?

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nier also came out on a already huge install base then further with PC and xb1

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
The comparison is a little unfair, Nier Automata was released on PS4 and PC (and now Xbox One too) while Octopath is a Switch exclusive.

It has been proven there is a big enough audience for RPG/JRPG on Switch, and 2019 is packed of those games on Switch. (between Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest XI S, Oninaki, Rune Factory,...)
Why are you comparing Nier sales to Xenoblade? Nier came out on a system with how many units out there?
Since when does core gamer just mean person who plays jrpgs including ones in niche genres?
Nier also came out on a already huge install base then further with PC and xb1
I mean, isn't that the point? It's not a dig that the Switch has weak sales, but to show that the installed base has a way to go to hit critical mass. Usually when the suggestion is that the audience on a given platform is massive, it suggests that it has matured to compete with the biggest installed bases.

Which is why I think it'll be interesting to see how an established IP like Fire Emblem does on a growing base that is getting larger. I think we'll be able to compare that to something like Persona 5 for example.

OP
OP

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I mean, isn't that the point? It's not a dig that the Switch has weak sales, but to show that the installed base has a way to go to hit critical mass. Usually when the suggestion is that the audience on a given platform is massive, it suggests that it has matured to compete with the biggest installed bases.

Which is why I think it'll be interesting to see how an established IP like Fire Emblem does on a growing base that is getting larger. I think we'll be able to compare that to something like Persona 5 for example.

Beating other platform sales combined is a miracle, it happens sometimes (especially with indies) but nobody should ever expect that.

Not to mention Octopath Traveler is a very different game from Nier, and visually it is also very different (we know there are many users on other platforms that snub pixel art for instance)

A more reasonable comparison would be with World of Final Fantasy which started as PS4-PSV exclusive for a year, and Octopath Traveler beated that by a large margin.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
how is nier even comparable? it's mostly an action game, released on the massive combined userbase of ps4/xbo/pc.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
Well even in the last NPD thread you had people saying "Nintendo only system! Look at the top 10 software for the month!".

Fact is Switch has many 3rd party million sellers and more are certainly coming. By the time it's done I suspect it will be the most successful Nintendo platform for third parties since the SNES.
I don't know why there still is a sentiment that 3rd party has not sold good in later Nintendo consoles. Wii had more milion sellers then SNES regarding 3rd party.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Not to mention Octopath Traveler is a very different game from Nier, and visually it is also very different (we know there are many users on other platforms that snub pixel art for instance)

A more reasonable comparison would be with World of Final Fantasy which started as PS4-PSV exclusive for a year, and Octopath Traveler beated that by a large margin.
I think you misunderstand. What I'm comparing are the best selling non-AAA JRPGs, to look at what the ceiling could be for such titles. The ceiling is generally what people look at for the size of an audience (ie: if you make the most appealing product in that class on this platform, how much can you hope to sell). So currently the examples are Xenoblade 2 and Octopath. The fact that Octopath sold as well as XB2 is a really good sign for a game which is much less resource intensive in development. But it also shows that currently at least, a "bigger" game like XB2 didn't sell more. Nier is a comparison because it is also in this class of games, non-AAA, but sold far better than expected. That's all.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why there still is a sentiment that 3rd party has not sold good in later Nintendo consoles. Wii had more milion sellers then SNES regarding 3rd party.

Yeah but how many of those were of the Just Dance, EA Active, Carnival Games variety of content?

There's not a ton of Octopath Traveller type games selling 1.5+ million on Wii.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
A new Octopath with good production values could hit 3 million. I expect Fire Emblem to go higher than 3 million too. Octopath Traveler is a good game with a nice style but the budget was small compared to Nier.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
A new Octopath with good production values could hit 3 million. I expect Fire Emblem to go higher than 3 million too. Octopath Traveler is a good game with a nice style but the budget was small compared to Nier.
Yeah this is exactly what I'm talking about. It's not "Octopath didn't sell as much so Switch sux" but rather there's still quite a lot of room for growth before we talk about the core audience being massive. It's way, way healthier than it was in previous generations of Nintendo consoles, but we're only in the second year now. It should get much bigger.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
The Nier comparisons are weird, those games are not remotely close in any way.
1.5 millions is a great success, especially given the shortages. I personally didn't like the game and found it disappointing, but there's definitely potential and I say that as someone who doesn't like JRPGs (though my hate is mostly for the recent ones).

OP
OP

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I think you misunderstand. What I'm comparing are the best selling non-AAA JRPGs, to look at what the ceiling could be for such titles. The ceiling is generally what people look at for the size of an audience (ie: if you make the most appealing product in that class on this platform, how much can you hope to sell). So currently the examples are Xenoblade 2 and Octopath. The fact that Octopath sold as well as XB2 is a really good sign for a game which is much less resource intensive in development. But it also shows that currently at least, a "bigger" game like XB2 didn't sell more. Nier is a comparison because it is also in this class of games, non-AAA, but sold far better than expected. That's all.

Yeah this is exactly what I'm talking about. It's not "Octopath didn't sell as much so Switch sux" but rather there's still quite a lot of room for growth before we talk about the core audience being massive. It's way, way healthier than it was in previous generations of Nintendo consoles, but we're only in the second year now. It should get much bigger.

Octopath and Xenoblade also sold far better than expected, you have to understand that for system exclusive on one platform, breaking a million especially is already a big deal, especially for a JRPG.

With Xenoblade you also have to consider that the series has always been super niche, so XB2 is basically the Fire Emblem Awakening of the franchise, and there is so much they can expand from here.

As for Octopath instead, it could get better only if Square Enix starts to treat it as one of their pillar franchises, which would mean higher budget, but i feel their plans is rather to keep it to this level, so they won't expect another big growth from here.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah but how many of those were of the Just Dance, EA Active, Carnival Games variety of content?

There's not a ton of Octopath Traveller type games selling 1.5+ million on Wii.
Well then you should've written "Best selling Nintendo console for AA+ grade games", or something like that. There is no need to look down on party games, they can be more fun then AAA+ games for some people.

Imo the Wii would still beat SNES. Imagine if it had AAA+ games, of course it would sell. It's not like it was 110 milion grandmas and 10 milion gamers that bought the console. :p