• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
User banned (2 days) for concern trolling and console warring
This post is giving me cancer, ugh

must be hard if someone giving you "cancer" (what an incredibly stupid analogy btw) with something that is just his opinion. and no, i doesn´t meant that people are returning it because pixel retro game...they will play it for 10-15 hours and lose interest. Monitor ebay after release and see for yourself, there will be used copies en masse because many will notice that they don´t want to play through such a game for 60-80hours.

Pity that there aren´t official achievements on the Switch, if there were everyone could see the percentage of people actually playing through the whole game... how many will buy the game because they are really interested? how many will finish the game? in the end it is all just an assumption...

Doesn't surprise me. I'm buying it and it's mot typically my type of game.

The Switch software output has been pretty poor in 2018.

there you have it. exactly what i have said...do you guys think he is alone with this opinion? really shortsighted to say: "yeah, everyone is highly interested in the title, that´s why this is selling so good!" there are people buying this that normally wouldn´t touch the genre with a ten foot pole...hint: it is not because they discovered their ultimate interest in retro pixel Jrpgs

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
must be hard if someone giving you "cancer" (what an incredibly stupid analogy btw) with something that is just his opinion. and no, i doesn´t meant that people are returning it because pixel retro game...they will play it for 10-15 hours and lose interest. Monitor ebay after release and see for yourself, there will be used copies en masse because many will notice that they don´t want to play through such a game for 60-80hours.

Pity that there aren´t official achievements on the Switch, if there were everyone could see the percentage of people actually playing through the whole game... how many will buy the game because they are really interested? how many will finish the game? in the end it is all just an assumption...

there you have it. exactly what i have said...do you guys think he is alone with this opinion? really shortsighted to say: "yeah, everyone is highly interested in the title, that´s why this is selling so good!" there are people buying this that normally wouldn´t touch the genre with a ten foot pole...hint: it is not because they discovered their ultimate interest in retro pixel Jrpgs

You may think you're making your argument better but trust me, you're not.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Third party games on Switch will sell amazing well when the fans see an effort and they have the benefit of launch marketing,

Putting old ports (unless date and date remasters) on the console with zero marketing is clearly not the path to success on Switch or any platform.

We want exclusive content, effort, we want games that release the same time as other platforms with features unique to our platform like Starlink.

There is no mysterious audience that buys Switch games. 40% of Switch owners in the US also own PS4's. It's called the hardcore fanbase and if you want to sell games you need to market them.

This is why MS/Sony are tripping over themselves and offering publishers money hand over fist to get marketing rights on multiplats. If a game is not marketed to a certain platform it nearly becomes invisible to said platform in comparison (Destiny on XB1 compared to PS4 for instance).

It's so OBVIOUS... it just amazes me that companies don't see it.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Lots of Switch owners simply waiting for the next big release. So far we've really have some Wii U ports, and games from smaller selling series this year (Kirby, Mario Tennis), so I'd wager this one is probably on most "core gamers" list if you are a Switch owner, as they've been waiting for a release like this. Plus what they did with offering the free demo with progress carrying over to the full game was a SMART move.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
No struggle here, since I also own a PS4. Switch is having a pretty bad 2018 for my tastes.
Switch isn't lacking in games in 2018 so far, it is lacking in meaty games.

I got Mario Tennis, ton's of fun, but the content is severly lacking. Fortnite is cool and all but i don't play it, however if i did it would be on PC.

Hallow Knight is awesome but its not the type of game to get the genral public going.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm totally surprised. I really dislike the hybrid art-style (despite being a fan of pixel-art), I hate turn-based gameplay, and I found the demo to be dull as ditchwater. I really didn't see this being a commercial success outside of the JRPG hardcore, but it looks like I'm wrong. I'm obviously out of touch!

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
I'm totally surprised. I really dislike the hybrid art-style (despite being a fan of pixel-art), I hate turn-based gameplay, and I found the demo to be dull as ditchwater. I really didn't see this being a commercial success outside of the JRPG hardcore, but it looks like I'm wrong. I'm obviously out of touch!
Under different circumstances you would be right. But it got that Square exclusive appeal, plus the heavy marketing from Nintendo themselves. its bound to sell atleast 1-2mil.

May 4, 2018
Switch isn't lacking in games in 2018 so far, it is lacking in meaty games.

I got Mario Tennis, ton's of fun, but the content is severly lacking. Fortnite is cool and all but i don't play it, however if i did it would be on PC.

Hallow Knight is awesome but its not the type of game to get the genral public going.

You know what kinds of games get the general public going? Pokemon and Smash Brothers.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
The Switch becoming a home for Rpg ? Yes please.
So hyped myself. Finally a Fantasy jrpg for old school square fans.
I'm still waiting for a rpg directed to the Xenogears or Chrono Cross fan I am. : P
I'm most certainly enough of a reason to develop such a game am I not ?
It's a full game, no DLC bullshit with strong stories as the demo showed and exclusive to Switch. I hope it sells millions so SE can finally wake up.
Amen.

Last edited:

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The gameplay is fun, the story and characters are nice, the graphics are beautiful, and its a JRPG from Square Enix. Recipe for success imo.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yeah but are they meaty enough? We need more meat. All those games are fun, but more meat is needed.
maxresdefault.jpg

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not at all. In terms of Nintendo standards, though? Sure

You do realize that Nintendo handhelds have really good rpgs and a significant number? As a fan of turn based jrpgs and strategy rpgs I'm often playing the 3DS more than home consoles. I doubt the Switch will end up with the same amount as the 3DS, but it is already off to a great start. Plus it is miles better than Wii U which you could fairly be critical of.(though Tokyo Mirage was great)

The first year on PS4 was pretty bad. Now the lineup is good, especially compared to some years during the 360/PS3 gen.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Are you people really insisting in this pixel art = cheapness strawman? I never said that lol I know this is probably the number 1 cliche argument against the game but i'm not using it.

Anyway, if you find $60 for this product fair as a price and want to downplay the $40 game in a similar situation, more power to you. Aside the fact that SE is bound to be greedy as a big publisher, they will probably deliver similar experiences and we can expect atleast 3 games by the Octopath team in Switch's life, which is probably really good news.

It isn't a strawman if it's the argument most frequently employed, whether explicitly or implicitly. Square Enix isn't even publishing Octopath Traveler outside of Japan—Nintendo is.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Because the demo was awesone and I want to play as a hunter more and more. Jrpgs made the 3ds heaven tier and hopefully more jrpgs will make the switch as godly as the 3ds on that perspective.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Amusing that people still think the last 10 hours of an 70-80 hour game is the second half.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Under different circumstances you would be right. But it got that Square exclusive appeal, plus the heavy marketing from Nintendo themselves. its bound to sell atleast 1-2mil.

You not liking the game doesn't mean other people who do are sheeps who like anything SE puts out or got "fooled" by Nintendo marketing.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
It is if you're replying me.

Really? Because the only reasoning you've put forth for your pricing disagreement is that it's a "Bravely Default tier budget game," which you have absolutely zero evidence of, and seems to fall into exactly the thought process I described—judging it based on its art style.

If Nintendo thinks it's a $60 value game, then that's what its MSRP will be. If it succeeds, then they will have been correct.

Also, guess which SE game was published by Nintendo worldwide as well?

I'm trying to think of one on the Switch comparable to Octopath Traveler, and you know, I'm just coming up blank.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
It isn't a strawman if it's the argument most frequently employed, whether explicitly or implicitly. Square Enix isn't even publishing Octopath Traveler outside of Japan—Nintendo is.
We are never getting this game on PS4, are we?

I'm gonna go cry in a corner now.

On topic though, I definitely get it. It had two great demos from what I'v read, and has a distinct art style ... not to mention that we are still in the phase of the console cycle where any big new game will sell gangbusters if it's not a turd.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really? Because the only reasoning you've put forth for your pricing disagreement is that it's a "Bravely Default tier budget game," which you have absolutely zero evidence of, and seems to fall into exactly the thought process I described—judging it based on its art style.

If Nintendo thinks it's a $60 value game, then that's what its MSRP will be. If it succeeds, then they will have been correct.

I'm trying to think of one on the Switch comparable to Octopath Traveler, and you know, I'm just coming up blank.
It's Chrono Trigger

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
No struggle here, since I also own a PS4. Switch is having a pretty bad 2018 for my tastes.

Funny. I haven't played my PS4 since god of war. I play my switch everyday. I got burnout in the sale this week so I played for about 20 min but went back to fortnite on my Switch.

But definitely different strokes depending on taste. Octopath looks and plays amazing and will last me most of July and August. Can't wait.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
The charts tell us exactly what they are supposed to do - numbers of orders on Amazon right now.
Unless you really think it would make no difference if the game was hovering around Spot 90 a week before launch instead of at the top.

Might just be a few hundred units, so I supposed my main takeaway is to keep your expectations in check when looking at amazon sales rankings at a singular snapshot of time :)

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
We are never getting this game on PS4, are we?

I'm gonna go cry in a corner now.

On topic though, I definitely get it. It had two great demos from what I'v read, and has a distinct art style ... not to mention that we are still in the phase of the console cycle where any big new game will sell gangbusters if it's not a turd.
I was actually watching a treehouse video with IGN, and the guy asked so is this exclusive to the Switch? And he replied yes it is for now.

take it for what you will.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Slow July, game is soaked in 90's nostalgia which some people love. I'm just hoping it leads to FF6R getting greenlight using this engine as the starting point.

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
There's really nothing surprising about this and honestly Amazon numbers aren't really that insightful.

I disagree. The charts on there line up at least somewhat decently with NPD numbers. For example, Mario Odyssey sold huge numbers on Amazon and was near the top of the charts for months, and it sold huge numbers outside of Amazon as well. It's not perfect, but it gives you an idea of what the big games are (especially if you look at Amazon numbers in different countries like the OP did) without having to wait for the once per month NPD numbers.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I disagree. The charts on there line up at least somewhat decently with NPD numbers. For example, Mario Odyssey sold huge numbers on Amazon and was near the top of the charts for months, and it sold huge numbers outside of Amazon as well. It's not perfect, but it gives you an idea of what the big games are (especially if you look at Amazon numbers in different countries like the OP did) without having to wait for the once per month NPD numbers.
No it isn't, Amazon is the worst for deciding how a game is doing, even niche games can rank high there but actual sales would be different.

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
Question for the people that live in the US. I'm in Orlando on vacation right now and I'll return to my country on 07/12, is there any chance I can buy a physical copy of Octopath Traveller in a near GameStop, Best Buy or Walmart before the game's launch if I show them proof that I'm returning from my trip in the next/present day?

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Question for the people that live in the US. I'm in Orlando on vacation right now and I'll return to my country on 07/12, is there any chance I can buy a physical copy of Octopath Traveller in a near GameStop, Best Buy or Walmart before the game's launch if I show them proof that I'm returning from my trip in the next/present day?
Most likely not, the store computer won't let them sell it early usually.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not officially. That's against story policies, so you'll have to convince a worker (manager for override) to sell you the game

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

It'll be very unlikely you'll find an employee willing/able to break the release date for your circumstances, but I suppose you could try. Best chance is probably to search around small local businesses that sell games, and see if any accidentally shelf it early, or are kind/naive enough to sell early.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
No they wont allow it its illegal to sell it before release date i believe .

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
Most likely not, the store computer won't let them sell it early usually.
Awww ):

Not officially. That's against story policies, so you'll have to convince a worker (manager for override) to sell you the game
Hmm I can try that

It'll be very unlikely you'll find an employee willing/able to break the release date for your circumstances, but I suppose you could try. Best chance is probably to search around small local businesses that sell games, and see if any accidentally shelf it early, or are kind/naive enough to sell early.
That small local businesses can work too. Hmm

Just don't know anything near here, it's my first time ever in the US lol. Will try googling it.

Thanks all of you for the help!

megabytecr

Nov 7, 2017
The demo reception has been incredibly good / the demos themselves were super generous. Anecdotally, I have a fair few friends who aren't interested in JRPGs at all but are picking it up, which is really impressive to me.

I am not into these types of games and I was sold on the first demo, downloaded the second one but have yet to play it. Can be a game I take my time and get into it by playing in small chunks, handheld mode.

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
No it isn't, Amazon is the worst for deciding how a game is doing, even niche games can rank high there but actual sales would be different.

Looking at Amazon top 100 right now, I see God of War, Monster Hunter World, Shenmue I and II, Far Cry 5, and lots of Switch games like Minecraft and Smash. I don't really see any niche games, but I'll admit the top 20 has a heavy Nintendo bias, and you don't see NPD evergreens like GTV 5 on it. But I said it's not perfect and it can be useful to give an indication that a game like Octopath Traveler putting up big numbers on it is very likely to do well outside of Amazon as well. I just disagree with the notion that it's useless at all to look at it.

GobHoblin

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know when the actual review embargo is? Did a quick search and can only find people asking the same, but no responses!