• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A pair of Chinese localisations, I see. AFAIK, there's yet to be a game that's paid for a Chinese localisation and then accept an EGS exclusivity deal, so I assume that means this one will release on Steam.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
can't wait to see PC footage of this running on people's systems, it's gonna look gorgeous.
also curious to see if there's any mod potential there.

the game is also getting a chinese localization (a switch patch will be released on the same day)

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/04/...language-support-with-a-free-patch-on-june-7/
Octopath Traveler released in July 2018 and Square Enix is still giving it some support with the addition of Simplified and Traditional Chinese language options as part of a free patch coming worldwide on June 7.

The Nintendo Switch RPG currently supports Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German, Italian language options (varies based on which version) and it'll be adding both Simplified & Traditional Chinese.

The patch will arrive on June 7 at 10:00am HKT (Hong Kong Time) and is expected to be available worldwide. Additionally, Square Enix says it is listening to more requests for other languages fans want to see get added next.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, for some reason I thought this was a Nintendo published/developed title. I guess SE hasn't totally lost their aesthetic touch.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope a passionate mod community forms around this game, the potential is absurd. This could turn into the best RPG of all time.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i'm legit excited to try this if we can tone down the post-processing. I'm thinking the game would look a lot better with a less severe depth of field effect.

(I'm still not a huge fan of the game though. The lack of interparty chat and the disjointed story is rough. I know how tough it would have been on the writers to account for different party makeups but they should have gone for it anyway. That or change the game's structure.)

Shoozle

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
UK
Best soundtrack of last year. Sadly didn't love it enough to pay full price again for it but will definitely consider it on sale in the future.

Shadowplay

Oct 27, 2017
Oh thank god..it has J-Audio, that video had me thinking this was done by anime voice dubbers in 1991

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Tempted to buy it on PC just so I can turn on x4 XP gain or something but couldn't be bothered replaying half the game.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Tempted to buy it on PC just so I can turn on x4 XP gain or something but couldn't be bothered replaying half the game.

Grinding shouldn't ever, ever be a worry in the main game. Octopath is designed around not having to grind, despite the opposite perception that benched members not gaining EXP might give. (Even the postgame only takes an hour or so of grinding with the right setup, but even that isn't necessary.)
  • Levels aren't as consequential to stats as equipment or passives. They mostly give HP/SP. It's faster and more beneficial to steal/purchase better equipment or adjust your strategy/build than grind.
    • A level 10 character in identical endgame gear as a level 40 character will deal adequate and comparable damage/healing in Chapter 4.
  • EXP scales such that underleveled party members catch up very quickly by simply fighting higher level monsters normally — no need to go out of your way to grind anyone up, even if levels did a whole lot.
  • 83% of each job's total JP costs is in their final two abilities, meaning that it costs just 17% (1630) total JP for a character to become mostly proficient in any given job.
  • You should be able to tackle Recommended Level or Danger Level content 10+ levels higher than your party with a little care.
This isn't necessarily aimed at you, it just drives me a bit wild to see people defaulting to "grind" because of misplaced genre expectations. Part of the blame there lies with the game itself, of course, for giving overly cautious level recommendations, and for hiding a critical system and power boost (secondary jobs) behind the expectation of CH2 exploration, but still.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Reality check: The game will probably be riddled with Denuvo. Prepare to add 10-15 seconds into loading times.

Modding is possible since this is running on UE4, hopefully Squeenix won't do anything stupid like applying strong encryption on the .pak file.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Grinding shouldn't ever, ever be a worry in the main game. Octopath is designed around not having to grind, despite the opposite perception that benched members not gaining EXP might give. (Even the postgame only takes an hour or so of grinding with the right setup, but even that isn't necessary.)
  • Levels aren't as consequential to stats as equipment or passives. They mostly give HP/SP. It's faster and more beneficial to steal/purchase better equipment or adjust your strategy/build than grind.
    • A level 10 character in identical endgame gear as a level 40 character will deal adequate and comparable damage/healing in Chapter 4.
  • EXP scales such that underleveled party members catch up very quickly by simply fighting higher level monsters normally — no need to go out of your way to grind anyone up, even if levels did a whole lot.
  • 83% of each job's total JP costs is in their final two abilities, meaning that it costs just 17% (1630) total JP for a character to become mostly proficient in any given job.
  • You should be able to tackle Recommended Level or Danger Level content 10+ levels higher than your party with a little care.
This isn't necessarily aimed at you, it just drives me a bit wild to see people defaulting to "grind" because of misplaced genre expectations. Part of the blame there lies with the game itself, of course, for giving overly cautious level recommendations, and for hiding a critical system and power boost (secondary jobs) behind the expectation of CH2 exploration, but still.
Hmm, it's been quite a while since I played Octopath but I really didn't find this to be the case but I suppose it's possible I'm just bad.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Hoo boy this

If you take all 8 short stories and put them together, you end up with 1 really mediocre short story because they all have the exact same story beats.

This is not even close to the truth. The stories don't resemble each other in tone, theme, or pace; only length and structure are necessarily similar, being comprised of four chapters each.

And really, I wonder what JRPGs people are playing that they think Octopath's are somehow bad. Some are better than others, but they're so different from one another that everyone should be able to find ones to like. They each set out to explore a theme, and see that through to completion. And they're so down-to-earth and in several cases atypical of the genre/medium that I, personally, loved them.

It is a game about eight distinct and separate short stories, though, and not one "disjointed" story (and really, it wouldn't be disjointed anyway, since they tie neatly together in the end via background events).

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
This is not even close to the truth. The stories don't resemble each other in tone, theme, or pace; only length and structure are necessarily similar, being comprised of four chapters each.

And really, I wonder what JRPGs people are playing that they think Octopath's are somehow bad. Some are better than others, but they're so different from one another that everyone should be able to find ones to like. They each set out to explore a theme, and see that through to completion. And they're so down-to-earth and in several cases atypical of the genre/medium that I, personally, loved them.

It is a game about eight distinct and separate short stories, though, and not one "disjointed" story (and really, it wouldn't be disjointed anyway, since they tie neatly together in the end via background events).
go to town -> reminisce about the past-> go to dungeon -> fight boss. Rinse and repeat until you get to the big bad of everyones storyline. The progression was the exact same formula for every single character. The stories may have had their own themes, but it doesn't matter because they play out, and are resolved in the exact same manner every time. And that is not even getting into the content of said stories, which is its own beast.

Last edited:

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
go to town -> go to dungeon -> fight boss. Rinse and repeat until you get to the big bad of everyones storyline. The progression was the exact same formula for every single character. The stories may have had their own themes, but it doesn't matter because they play out, and are resolved in the exact same manner every time. And that is not even getting into the content of said stories, which is its own beast.

They fact that the characters are not part of each others story while physically being there is idiotic and unforgivable.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
They fact that the characters are not part of each others story while physically being there is idiotic and unforgivable.

The arbitrary nature in which gamers choose to suspend their disbelief is bizarre.

Two sides taking turns attacking each other? Believable. Characters employing magic and fantastical abilities in battle but not in story? Believable. Characters raising each other from the dead in battle, but never in plot? Believable. Characters in some RPGs dropping out of the story once you recruit them? Believable. Recruitable generics who never have any story presence whatsoever? Believable.

Having characters go through their personal stories alone, but having the party appear in battle for gameplay purposes? Unforgivable and idiotic.

go to town -> reminisce about the past-> go to dungeon -> fight boss. Rinse and repeat until you get to the big bad of everyones storyline. The progression was the exact same formula for every single character. The stories may have had their own themes, but it doesn't matter because they play out, and are resolved in the exact same manner every time. And that is not even getting into the content of said stories, which is its own beast.

"It doesn't matter"? lol. You could boil down a great many RPGs to "explore -> town -> dungeon -> boss" loops, but that would be reductive. Octopath is just honest and forthcoming about its structure.

That isn't to say it couldn't improve some things in a sequel, but I truly feel like most people who felt that repetitiveness so acutely burned themselves out by choosing to repeatedly do eight consecutive chapters back-to-back, instead of stopping and savoring the game's exploration and other content.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018

This was one if the issues that I also had.

I do find it dumb how you "save"/help people and then 10 minutes later when you go and try to talk to them they act like nothing happened at all.

I am not sure how much "text" (dialogue) is in OT but compared to other students like DQ there is a lot less "text" or at least it feel this way. From what I remember in DQ VII after you talked to an NPC you could Immediately talk to your party members afterwards and they will tell you their thought on what the NPC just said (this is all optional and not required) and I thought that Is an amazing thing to have in JRPGs. But like I said in OT it's like the exact opposite of that and also depending on who the party leader is that DQ game the NPC will say different things. I believe you can do something like that in OT as well but in order to activate it you need to use your path actions.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Pretty much every video game in existence can be seen as this formulaic when you boil literally all the meat off their bones like you just did.
Most other video games don't task you with repeating the same formalities 8 times. I would even be more forgiving with the games repetition if it didn't also leak into the stories. Which end up with most of them following the same beats (ie thing from the past dredged up that you must face in the finale, some sort of emotional redemption), and are overall just trite and boring.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
image.png

Cant fucking wait

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
This was one if the issues that I also had.

I do find it dumb how you "save"/help people and then 10 minutes later when you go and try to talk to them they act like nothing happened at all.

I am not sure how much "text" (dialogue) is in OT but compared to other students like DQ there is a lot less "text" or at least it feel this way. From what I remember in DQ VII after you talked to an NPC you could Immediately talk to your party members afterwards and they will tell you their thought on what the NPC just said (this is all optional and not required) and I thought that Is an amazing thing to have in JRPGs. But like I said in OT it's like the exact opposite of that and also depending on who the party leader is that DQ game the NPC will say different things. I believe you can do something like that in OT as well but in order to activate it you need to use your path actions.
Speaking as someone who is a big fan of the Trails series, this sounds pretty disappointing.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Most other video games don't task you with repeating the same formalities 8 times. I would even be more forgiving with the games repetition if it didn't also leak into the stories. Which end up with most of them following the same beats (ie thing from the past dredged up that you must face in the finale, some sort of emotional redemption), and are overall just trite and boring.
Most people have to buy 8 games to get the same experience of alleged narrative mediocrity. So I'd consider this game a grea value on the dollar, at the very least.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I expect this to be a barebone port with absolutely no new content sold for full price. SE is porting DQ11 to Switch with lot of new features and contents, meanwhile we are getting a one year old port with nothing more and probably for full price too.

Last edited:

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I'm interested if nothing else from an aesthetic point of view. No one else has done this visual style before, and that is to be commended.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
If the port is good I might buy it down the line even if its not really a genre Im into.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The arbitrary nature in which gamers choose to suspend their disbelief is bizarre.

Two sides taking turns attacking each other? Believable. Characters employing magic and fantastical abilities in battle but not in story? Believable. Characters raising each other from the dead in battle, but never in plot? Believable. Characters in some RPGs dropping out of the story once you recruit them? Believable. Recruitable generics who never have any story presence whatsoever? Believable.

Having characters go through their personal stories alone, but having the party appear in battle for gameplay purposes? Unforgivable and idiotic.

"It doesn't matter"? lol. You could boil down a great many RPGs to "explore -> town -> dungeon -> boss" loops, but that would be reductive. Octopath is just honest and forthcoming about its structure.

That isn't to say it couldn't improve some things in a sequel, but I truly feel like most people who felt that repetitiveness so acutely burned themselves out by choosing to repeatedly do eight consecutive chapters back-to-back, instead of stopping and savoring the game's exploration and other content.
The game gives a lot of freedom to the players for a JRPG that people going into the same loop over and over again is strange.

I mean if you start to feel burn about doing everyone's chapters, why don't you just do something else ? The game won't punish you if you decide to focus on less characters.

Side quests in particular have such an unique twist and you are rewarded to pursue them, as well as interacting (yes yes interacting) with the world through your path actions.

So basically, the game rewards you for not following a linear/repetitive playthrough and yet people are complaining about the structure as if they were forced to follow it consecutively.

Like you said Disclaimer , things could be improved in a sequel with more gameplay loops (like Olberic's Chapter 2) and more memorable dungeons. Given the way Square Enix is pushing to expand the brand, I am quite confident they'll make an even more ambitious game next time.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad this is coming to Steam. Can't wait. Definitely going to get it day one. As a huge SaGa fan, as well as a fan of SNES era rpgs, this is right up my alley.

I just hope they don't overprice it. $40 would be right for me.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
the issues come from the story and characters, not sure how much of that a modding community can fix.
Yep. It's not like the game has bad gameplay or graphics, and on PC it will look crisper than ever. The main problem is the structure, and tbh, if you want to play a game with better story or less repetitive chapters... play another game.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
S-E doing a Chinese localization for this PC release might actually be indicative of them starting to understand the market.

(Though I don't know if the 16-bit-nostalgia idea will resonate much with the Chinese Steam audience)