• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Main theme is a new arrangement
Battle system is tweaked to have 8 person party
New characters
A couple different sprite animations
Same textures but new map/overworld designs

Yeah this is definitely some sort of sequel.

Hope it comes out in the West this year too.

OP
OP
nolifebr

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
More info:

It will be titled Octopath Traveler: Tairiku no Hasha, which translates into "Champions of the Continent."

The game will retain its HD-2D graphics, and will mostly operate in the same way as the original on Switch, even if the controls have been adapted in order to be easy to use on smart devices, with the implementation of the touch screen.

One of the main departures from the original is that the number of characters participating in battle has been increased to eight. There will also be additional characters.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Reading through the Famitsu article now, but one fun tidbit: Octopath's apparently sold 1.5 million worldwide at this point.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is clearly a sequel/spinoff. Come on. Let's not spread bad journalism please.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
The beginning of the arrangement gave me big Sakimoto vibes until the main theme started.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
D1Hd-mOU0AATlBR.jpg:orig

character artworks

Lark

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
That's definitely not what I was expecting. Same beautiful sprites and music, though, so I guess I'm in?

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
My mistake but I guess that is a lot cooler because I loved Octopath so if it means more new stuff I'm all for it.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
It looks to still take place in Orsterra, but there are in fact towns shown that aren't in the first game. And obviously it has completely new characters and stories.

I wish some form of this would come to Switch. I need more Octopath in my veins.

This was either developed stupidly fast or concurrently, though. Octopath is just 8 months old.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
It looks to still take place in Orsterra, but there are in fact towns shown that aren't in the first game. And obviously it has completely new characters and stories.

I wish some form of this would come to Switch. I need more Octopath in my veins.

This was either developed stupidly fast or concurrently, though. Octopath is just 8 months old.
It's being developed by a different team and has been in development for 2 years.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
It's being developed by a different team and has been in development for 2 years.
Yes, and it's still Acquire. So it's interesting that they had parallel developments on at the same time. The arrangement of narrative in this is different too. It takes place years before the first game, but instead of picking individual characters to play, you select one of three main paths, and there will be multiple characters in those paths.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Currently, I think signs point to this being more of an Another Eden situation than the standard gacha game. Based on the Famitsu interview, it certainly seems that way.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Fwiw, this is not a paid app either. It's a free to play game with microtransactions. So maybe expect something closer to the mobile Bravely Default. Hopefully higher effort.
Well I'm out. That sounds terrible. Probably have one of those bullshit time limits and make you pay to play longer or need to wait a day to recharge.
Thinking it's probably online only too.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and it's still Acquire. So it's interesting that they had parallel developments on at the same time. The arrangement of narrative in this is different too. It takes place years before the first game, but instead of picking individual characters to play, you select one of three main paths, and there will be multiple characters in those paths.
It's quite interesting and I like their focusing single player experience and bringing the original game's gameplay feel to the mobile. Hopefully the gacha stuff isn't too bad.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

read anything about voice acting?

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore

Before people go completely crazy, it's worth noting that even in their PR tweet for the Japanese fans, it says clearly that to those waiting for a new console game from them, sorry but it'll take a little while longer for production. So they're not jumping ship or anything, this is just something extra they had in the works.

Currently, I think signs point to this being more of an Another Eden situation than the standard gacha game. Based on the Famitsu interview, it certainly seems that way.
What sort of microtransactions do Another Eden use?

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018

Makes sense they announced no DLC for Octopath Traveler way ahead of time. They'd been planning this all along.

Necro Felipe

Editor-in-chief at Universo Nintendo
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Brasil

Before people go completely crazy, it's worth noting that even in their PR tweet for the Japanese fans, it says clearly that to those waiting for a new console game from them, sorry but it'll take a little while longer for production. So they're not jumping ship or anything, this is just something extra they had in the works.

At least this is not a big NO, so the wait isn't bad. Good luck Octo Team ^^

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Well this is certainly one way to get me interested in playing a game on my phone.

Hope it gets released over here.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017

What sort of microtransactions do Another Eden use?

Another Eden has character rolls, but you don't need to care about them too much. And there's no stamina or anything.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Another Eden has character rolls, but you don't need to care about them too much. And there's no stamina or anything.
If it's similar then yeah I can see why they're going with themed paths instead of specific character paths. Maybe the characters will be gacha, and that's why there are 8 character parties now?
Can this come to Switch please -.-
What happened to Nintendo fans being very defensive about port begging?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
That's something I can get behind - a good way to expand the reach and visibility of the IP before a Octopath sequel hits.

Hope they don't take too long with a western/English release.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
That is... not something I expected to happen. I guess it makes sense now that I have been reminded they did a similar thing with Bravely?

I can't say I'm all that excited about this because I ended up not liking Octopath Traveler that much, in the end. I'll keep an eye on it though, maybe it'll turn out interesting.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Visuals look downgraded.
"But my old phone is so much more powerful than Switch AND it has a QHD screen!" - many people, still to this day.

Glad to see SE isn't done with Octopath. I still have to play the game, some comments I've read about its duration and boss battle length scare me a bit...

Redstreak

Jan 17, 2018
i really want to play this...but i cannot bring myself to purchase and pay the money after hearing the characters almost dont even interact with each other. i mean, its called OCTOpath traveler for heavens sake!

Which is weird considering their stories actually do link up with each other in meaningful ways

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I really liked Octopath, but I always had difficulties in liking mobile games, with the only exception of Super Mario Run (and a bit of FE Heroes in the first months...). I will anyway have a look on how it will work, maybe I will give it a try.