• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Well everyone who was asking for a FF6 remake in Octopath's "engine" (UE4...) might get that now lol. Won't be long before modding community starts work.

With a PC release, Octopath will probably join this generation's club of multi-million selling turn-based JRPGs. Great for Asano and Acquire, and for people who weren't able to play it on Switch.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Cool if more people get to play Octopath. It's right up there with my favorite RPGs of the generation. I am a little unclear on the publishing situation, since I thought Nintendo published it. Maybe that was only in America?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Cool if more people get to play Octopath. It's right up there with my favorite RPGs of the generation. I am a little unclear on the publishing situation, since I thought Nintendo published it. Maybe that was only in America?

Whole western release was published by Nintendo afaik.

Nov 3, 2017

I think Nintendo Switch having console exclusivity is a reasonable compromise.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Oh shit, I played and loved it on the Switch but super happy for PC players to get to experience it (especially if mods add new classes)

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
expecting a 1:1 of nioh. published by SE/TK in japan, published by sony/nintendo in the west, ~1 year of full exclusivity, then a pc port and just console-exclusivity.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
If it comes only to PC, kinda like plenty of PS4 exclusives, keeping the console exclusivity, then I fully support this move since I said already that Square Enix should build a new franchise around this.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
What's the general opinion of the game? Some people seem to hate it.
Was really hyped for it, bought it day 1, and then thought it was incredibly boring story/character wise. Combat is pretty incredible though. The strategy and nuance you need for exploiting weaknesses is really great.

I didn't finish because I felt like I had enough fun with the combat and just couldn't care about the story anymore.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it comes only to PC, kinda like plenty of PS4 exclusives, keeping the console exclusivity, then I fully support this move since I said already that Square Enix should build a new franchise around this.
yeah. i think it coming to pc and doing decently there is also good for the future of the franchise, and how much they can invest in a sequel (that will either launch on pc as well or come to the platform later)

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think even DQ11 did that well on steam. if the steamspy estimate is correct, it sold between 100K and 200K. this certainly won't be able to sell as much as DQ11. ~100K sales is still a decent result tho, specially since it's going to be an easy port. basically free money.

Nintendo probably loosened its grip for DQXIS content exclusivity :^)
i like where your mind is at 🙃

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think DQ11 did that well on steam. if the steamspy estimate is correct, it sold between 100K and 200K. this certainly won't be able to sell as much as DQ11. ~100K sales is still a decent result tho, specially since it's going to be an easy port. basically free money.
Yeah, I think Octopath is a fantastic dragon quest game right there

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
Don't think so. The game is a late port. And there's a huge selection of JRPG on PC already. For Octopath on Switch, the game had a strong marketing lift on Switch by Nintendo, in a period dire in term of JRPG.
There is no such thing as "dire" or "huge", when a game is attractive enough and with the right fanbase at the right time it will do well, later on there will be nintendo select and steam sales for the title, 2m ltd is just a matter of time

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no such thing as "dire" or "huge", when a game is attractive enough and with the right fanbase at the right time it will do well, later on there will be nintendo select and steam sales for the title, 2m ltd is just a matter of time
with the pc port, 2M is likely in a few years, i just don't think the pc port itself can sell 500k.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I think 200-250K for the PC is doable, and well worth the investment in porting the game and growing the fanbase.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see Octopath doing better than some other JRPGs simply because it is far more systems oriented than most games in the genre. It plays much more like a game that could appeal on PC than say DQXI did. I loved DQXI overall but it's combat is just not all that fun or interesting even with the Draconian stuff.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
That's good.
I was really interested in this game as I liked what I saw of the visuals and combat. But then I found out it had random battles, and now I'm not sure if I'll ever play the game.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Interesting, I fully expected the game to be Switch exclusive. Good thing about the port is that the IQ can be improved.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
mandatory octopath gifs

skikwXR.gif

jZ3prxV.gif

EmrSPjO.gif

I think 200-250K for the PC is doable, and well worth the investment in porting the game and growing the fanbase.
if DQ11 couldn't reach those numbers, i doubt octopath will. still, i think even 100k is a good result, and a good way to expand the franchise's reach while still keeping their relationship with nintendo.

Last edited:

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
mandatory octopath gifs

skikwXR.gif

jZ3prxV.gif

EmrSPjO.gif

if DQ11 couldn't reach those numbers, i doubt octopath will. still, i think even 100k is a good result, and a good way to expand the franchise's reach while still keeping their relationship with nintendo.
Fair point. Didn't DQ11 have some fairly solid competition during that month of game releases though? I know that doesn't exactly change things, but the release timing and word of mouth could play a fairly significant role in how successful it would be.

You're right though, I probably am over estimating it.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fair point. Didn't DQ11 have some fairly solid competition during that month of game releases though? I know that doesn't exactly change things, but the release timing and word of mouth could play a fairly significant role in how successful it would be.

You're right though, I probably am over estimating it.
you have a point for the ps4 version that was released close to spider man, but games aren't as front loaded on steam as they are on a platform like ps4, they keep selling specially if the word of mouth is good, which was the case for dq11. i think SE will be happy with an additional 100k or so sales from the port, plus the game being available to pc gamers is awesome news.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I'd also expect something like ~100k before deeper discounts for this game, if they release it at full Switch price.
(And I also agree that for a game like this that would pay for the port many times over)

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
mandatory octopath gifs

If it comes to PC in the West then sure it will hit 250k+. People forget Octopath outsold DQ11 in the West by a solid amount.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
If it comes to PC in the West then sure it will hit 250k+. People forget Octopath outsold DQ11 in the West by a solid amount.
Octopath basically doubled DQXI's western sales. It did 1.08m through December while DQXI is probably around 500k or less through November. It's definitely going to do better on PC imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.