• iOS/Safari issues when launching the site from mobile home screens should now be fixed! A2HS button compatibility on Android Firefox has also been fixed! Add some purple to your home screen today.

Octopath Traveler rated M in Australia

Oct 25, 2017
Rated M for mature themes, sexual references and violence.

For context, Aus M is not the same as US M. See post below.

Australian classification board M = ESRB T for Teen, PEGI 16 or 12, USK 12 or 16.

ESRB M rating = Aussie MA15+ most of the time and R18+

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018
Australia being Australia. Wonder what part specifically brought it on? Going from the demo probably the dancers story

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Primrose's story indicates this might be a hard-T or M in America.
And there's six other characters not explored yet so who knows how dark they'll get.

Nov 1, 2017
Ok everyone an M rating in Australia is the equivalent of a T reading in the US. So this rating is very mild.

Can we all not freak out about this? Or is that too much?

Oct 27, 2017
Ok everyone an M rating in Australia is the equivalent of a T reading in the US. So this rating is very mild.

Can we all not freak out about this? Or is that too much?
And it will be PEGI 16 in Europe, though it depends what they see on the game it may become 18.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeaaah not surprised after Primroses part.
Do we know whether there a language option in the game by the way? The german text sucked compared tot he english one.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
pretty non-newsy and entirely unspectactular.

Aussie M-rating is for mid-early teens.

Says computer game and multiplatform? Thought this was exclusive!
ignore. it says that for everything.

So why does Australia seemingly rate their games harsher?
Aussie M is not US M

Australian classification board M = ESRB T for Teen, PEGI 16 or 12, USK 12 or 16.

ESRB M rating = Aussie MA15+ most of the time and R18+

Oct 26, 2017
I remember Australia rated the anime Azumanga Daioh vol. 1 MA 15+ due to the characters (high school kids) comparing their boob size.

Oct 25, 2017
Yup not at all surprising after Primrose's story in the demo. However strange the ratings are different. Maybe it should actually be higher.

Oct 27, 2017
I didnt get a chance to try the demo. Can I get some examples? Want to know if this is something I can play with my kids or not.
One of the 7 protagonists is a female dancer that is seeking revenge
In order to do so, she's accepting the phisical and psichological violence from her "master", let's say, included some sexual violence

Oct 27, 2017
There's one scene in particular that I can think of as a reason.
The Octopus picture? It's in the original PG rated release. Even then, it's relatively tame, and I'm not seeing why it shouldn't be an M, or MA tops.

Iunno, R18 is just a crazy extreme to me.

Oct 30, 2017
One of the 7 protagonists is a female dancer that is seeking revenge
In order to do so, she's accepting the phisical and psichological violence from her "master", let's say, included some sexual violence
Thanks. If its hidden well in words I shouldn't have an issue but if its outright spoken/performed may have to err on the side of caution with the little one.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we go through this thread many times

Usually for Nintendo games

"[Insert game here] Is Rated M!!!111!!! (In Australia)"

Oct 27, 2017
The Octopus picture? It's in the original PG rated release. Even then, it's relatively tame, and I'm not seeing why it shouldn't be an M, or MA tops.

Iunno, R18 is just a crazy extreme to me.
Hmm...just saw that Atelier Rorona got an 18 rating as well, so it must have been something different. Maybe they didn't like Astrid? Is there no explanation for these ratings?

Oct 25, 2017
So would this be an inappropriate game to play with my 9 year old as a bonding moment?
not unless he wants to be a dancer!

Hmm...just saw that Atelier Rorona got an 18 rating as well, so it must have been something different. Maybe they didn't like Astrid? Is there no explanation for these ratings?
if I remember correctly, there was a drunk groping scene (not scene, but the audio didnt leave much to the imagination) that led to the rating