• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ss_2019-01-31_at_03.10.26.png

So that one is a bit tricky. Nintendo published octopath traveler in the west but it's self published by Square Enix in Japan so we can only have the western numbers from Nintendo's Q3 briefing. It shipped 1.08M up until December.

https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/game-search

Then we add the last known Japanese numbers from Famitsu which is 193k units (retail only). That number is outdated by a few months though, and the end result is higher than that but that's all we got. So it sold at least 1.27M worldwide. Which is a great number.

Last edited:

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
It might reach 2m when it's all said and done. Amazing result for such a gem; I also suspect budget was pretty low so ROI must be huge.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Just think how this would have sold if they had actually stocked it in Japan. SMH. Good results though, looking forward to more from this team.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dont know what square was thinking understocking this game and then failing to ship restocks fast enough

Oct 25, 2017
Those are some great numbers. The strategy of pushing out those evergreen titles in year 1-2 should be a thing going forward. Give them 5-6 years to keep selling.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Not possible. The game has stopped selling completely and there's nothing that can make a JRPG start selling again.

jRPGs released early on platform's lifecycle might have more legs than usual; see Fire Emblem: Awakening or Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

eShop sales and a sequel release might push sales a little bit higher.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
Listening to the soundtrack right now! (It's fantastic)

It's not a perfect game for sure but it is something I was sorely missing on the Switch. Glad it's done well.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Big sales for Octopath and likely well deserved.

It's a game that I would definitely buy if I had a Switch right now.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There was speculation that BD11 would move away from their Nintendo partnership and go multiplatform but I'm not confident SE would do enough to achieve results like this.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I am happy it did well. I did not finish it but I played it for good 20 hours which is enough for me to feel, that I got my money's worth. The soundtrack is in my opinion in the same tier as Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.

Oct 27, 2017
Love the game, superb soundtrack. I recently started playing it again (have about 70 hours logged) and trying to finish it. Can't wait for what Asano and his team are cooking next.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
You'd have to assume the actual number is probably closer to 1.5m with Japan digital sales as the game was hard to get as a physical release.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I was hoping it'd sell a bit more than that. Still a great and well deserved achivement. Can't wait to see what else that division of SE brings us.

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
That reminds me that I should play Octopath Traveler. Only have 10 hours and a party of four but that's it.

Also obligatory:

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Good. I liked the game and of course the turn-based but sadly I got bored halfway

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Cool. On the whole I thought it was mediocre as fuck, but it's a good base for a hopefully much improved Octopath 2 or even other AA JRPGs.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nice number. A bit sad how SE f up japan number thats at least another 100k there.

It probably will hit around 1.5m in the end just like XC2.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Seems pretty good considering the word of mouth for the game could have been a lot better. People didn't seem as happy with it after release here as I was expecting.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know this is a stupid comparison, but my mind just went there to compare the two niche titles.

How much did Until Dawn sold ?

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Cool. A friend bought me the game for xmas. Unfortunately I'm backlogged and won't play it for months

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Happy for Square Enix, hopefully this means more cool new JRPGs on Switch. The audience is here and hungry for these games.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Although I found the game boring ultimately I hope they make more games with those graphics

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
I am so happy for its success! I have completed the game long ago but the ost I still listen to everyday during my jogging session.
Please make a sequel or new RPG of similar aesthetic.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Seems pretty good considering the word of mouth for the game could have been a lot better. People didn't seem as happy with it after release here as I was expecting.

Here you mean. It was just a loud minority shouting on this forum.

Like a lot of games to be fair. You watch I give it a month before someone has created a topic saying they don't like the new resident evil compared the the original and that Kingdom Hearts 3 is trash.