• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Didn't get to do the survey unfortunately since I got my Switch in late October, but I really liked the demo.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
I'm hoping they don't capitulate to the people requesting less enemy HP and visible enemy HP bars. It seems quite a few people didn't 'get' the (rather simple) battle system, but they should expand the tutorials or something to rectify that.

Wonderful demo overall, though. Even my girlfriend - who as far as I know has never played a proper RPG before - was enamored with it. Anxiously awaiting more information.

Also, a 45k response rate would imply a significant number tried the demo, no? I can't see them drastically changing the Octopath Traveler name now; it's probably too ingrained.
Probably the only way to make people understand would be to do a forced tutorial, where they show you each move and why it works.

Cause it definitely seemed like a lot of people didn't understand it, or the fact that you should be using your MP/Abilities a ton with both characters.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The demo was fun as hell and I am watching the release with an eager eye. Assuming it doesn't bump heads with any other huge titles on my list I'll be getting this for sure.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super promising.

I hope they address the slow walk speed, Skippable cutscenes, the ability to turn encounters on and off, and not being able to escape off screen routes.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I absolutely need is a random encounter toggle. The rest is manageable. Next up on my list would be making the combat a bit more interesting, but they've already gotten that feedback. Keen to see what they come up with.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
They still have to read through all the responses and potentially make changes on feedback. I wonder how far away is this game till release....
They said somewhere (JP stream or something EDIT : maybe was TGS) the game would not be ready for early 2018, they still have a fair bit of time to adjust stuff and this is why they released the demo worldwide after all.

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
It's good to hear that they got a lot of feedback and that the reception has been very positive. This is definitely one of my most anticipated 2018 games so far.

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
I'll get a Switch the moment this game release, I have blind faith in it, just like I did with Bravely Default and my expectations were far exceeded.

I have high hopes that Bravely Default will continue on, they stopped in a clear sequel hook that for sure they won't abandon. I'll buy the CE just like I did with the pervious games.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I didn't get the survey, but I would have participated.

Loved the demo, it's a sure purchase for me.

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked the demo. And I'm hopeful that we can get more A and AA games not constrained by massive dev costs required for visual verisimilitude. I prefer playing long, story heavy games on a big screen, and so many migrated to handheld over the last few years.

The Switch seems like it could be the perfect modern jRPG machine...

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
I only asked them to make the font bigger so I could see the words in portable mode and improve the animations in the survey. Otherwise I had nothing to complain about the demo,it was great

Sturm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A question. The game is produced by Nintendo. So I must believe it will come out in physical format?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was a lot of "make the combat more interesting" comments. I hope they pass on those comments (they're empty and vague anyway as they give no suggestions). The battles are plenty interesting and we haven't even scratched the surface of it's potential since the demo is stuck will low level enemies and no one to really push the fact you can have both Olberic and Primrose in your party

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I thought what you mention is the typical tropes happened in most RPG, which someone like me grew a bit tired of. I had a blast, feeling that the story was not forced and was tighten in a nicely progressed pacing.
I didn't think it was forced, that's why I was a bit torn. It's not bad but typically in games with good stories during the kind of setup you see in the parts of both campaigns in this demo I'd feel more impressed if it was done properly. Again, I felt like they were trying a bit too hard to set up some kind of dramatic points of tension for both characters. I guess it just lacked charm or some kind of tonal brilliance because formulaically it's not that bad.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Loved the demo overall, but here's a list of things I want fixed in the final game:

- Voice acting is terribad. Doesn't feel like real conversations, no one speaks that slowly in real life. Was annoying and cringy more than anything. Either make it good or take it out. Expressive grunts like BOTW would be sufficient.

- I could quickly picture how being able to uniquely interact with every NPC with 8 different protagonists is going's to get immensely tedious really fast. Do something about it.

- Suffers from Text Too Small Syndrome in menus.

- Break number not following the shield graphic properly, always being offset slightly, when camera moves was distracting.

- Battle transition animation felt cheap.

- Voice clip at the end of each battle got annoying fast.

- After Odyssey, I don't see how they can justify 30fps for this. Theres fancy effects and all but there still doesn't seem to be enough going on to not push 60fps. I blame Unreal if that's the case.

On the plus side:

+ Music was amazing.

+ Love the graphics and art style despite excessive lighting, bloom, filters. Maybe tone it down a tiny little bit but not more.

+ Story arks seemed promising.

+ Loved the simplicity yet intricate complexity of the battle system.

+ Feels good, snappy, responsive.