• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
From Oculus:

We're excited to usher in the next era of VR gaming with the introduction of Oculus Quest, our first all-in-one VR gaming system. Oculus Quest will launch in Spring 2019 for $399 USD. Offering six degrees of freedom and Touch controllers, Oculus Quest makes it easy to jump right into the action—with no PC, no wires, and no external sensors. We have over 50 titles lined up for launch, with even more in the works including some of your favorite Rift games like Robo Recall, The Climb, and Moss.

Oculus Insight
We also unveiled Oculus Insight, our breakthrough technology that powers inside-out tracking, Guardian, and Touch controller tracking. This innovative system uses four ultra wide-angle sensors and computer vision algorithms to track your exact position in real time without any external sensors. Insight gives you a greater sense of immersion, presence, and mobility, plus the ability to go beyond room-scale. And we've brought over Guardian to help keep you safer while in VR. It's easy to setup and experience whenever you want.

The Best VR Games Deserve the Best VR Controllers
With the same buttons, thumbsticks, and sensors that have defined VR gaming, our intuitive Touch controllers bring your real hands into VR and let you easily and naturally interact with the world around you. By shipping Oculus Quest with Touch, everything developers have learned about game design for Rift applies to Oculus Quest. Now you can enjoy the best that VR gaming has to offer, starting at $399 USD for a 64GB headset—with the convenience and portability of all-in-one VR.

Quality Meets Comfort
Oculus Quest includes the same best-of-class optics as Oculus Go with a display resolution of 1600x1440 per eye, while incorporating a lens spacing adjustment to help maximize visual comfort. And we've improved our built-in audio, so you get high-quality, immersive sound with even deeper bass.

All in the Family
With the introduction of Oculus Quest, we've completed our first generation of best-in-class VR headsets. Oculus Go remains the easiest and most affordable way to get into VR, while Oculus Rift leverages the power of your PC to push the limits of what's possible. Thanks to Oculus Quest, we're now able to combine the best of both worlds and welcome even more people into the VR community.

We can't wait to share more with you soon.

— The Oculus Team

Link to website: https://www.oculus.com/blog/introdu...f-all-in-one-vr-system-launching-spring-2019/

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
This is potientally very exciting, but this really feels like a 'too good to be true' proposition. If this is running on the Go architecture, getting the most exciting VR experiences to translate may be a challenge.

Sniatch

Apr 9, 2018
It's still a bit expensive for me. But I might buy one. Do you have to pay for the 50 games they mentioned?

Mehdren

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
This is potientally very exciting, but this really feels like a 'too good to be true' proposition. If this is running on the Go architecture, getting the most exciting VR experiences to translate may be a challenge.
This is exactly how I feel, though the fact that they're saying Robo Recall and The Climb will work is reassuring.

Looking forward to seeing what this thing can do.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the idea of these wireless all in one VR solutions. Just seem a lot more practical to use.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
If this has decent specs and exclusives, I'm in. Otherwise I hope it leads to more VR adoption and more PSVR third party support.

I really like the sound of VR detached from any other dependency. I hope they can pull it off.

Edit: just watched the under the hood trailer. if nothing else, the inside out tracking is cool and I'm glad to see it getting adopted by this cheaper device. Hopefully that's something we can expect from all VR headset going forward.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds too good to be true, but I'll be keeping an eye on it. This is getting closer to what VR should ideally be!

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty surprised at the price and generally interested. I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares with the HTC and Daydream positional tracking standalone headsets.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Man I'd imagine that headset is going to get unbearably hot to wear. Do we know what sort of tech it's using for CPU/GPU? I'm assuming it's probably some sort of APU chip

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great pricing. Doubt it goes over battery life and how strong it is and what it can run though. Seems like info you'd want to keep under wraps.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If this has decent enough internals to provide a good library of games, it will solve pretty much all of my issues with VR that have blocked me from buying up until now. Price is fair, no wires, and no need for those satellite things. This could be it, guys!

Mit-

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm, but I don't want it to be THAT standalone, I still want a far more powerful PC to power better graphics and frame rates/resolutions. Hopefully they have a similarly planned headset with wireless connectivity to a PC. Perhaps they haven't been pushing towards that goal like HTC/Valve have.

Dec 23, 2017
If this has decent enough internals to provide a good library of games, it will solve pretty much all of my issues with VR that have blocked me from buying up until now. Price is fair, no wires, and no need for those satellite things. This could be it, guys!

No need to invest in an expensive gaming PC either from the sounds of it. :)

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
A modern PC with 1080Ti wasn't quite enough really for better res. Do you really think mobile SOC is going to do better? Think more like cut down ports.

Edit: Yeah, it's probably going to be 90 frames not 120.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
That's not a bad price. It's about what I paid for my Rift / 2 cameras a little over a year ago. I'm obviously not the market for this thing but I do wonder what kind of games it will play.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
I am intrigued, going to need to see /learn a little more before picking it up launch day but I would pre order it for now

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Depending on the game list and if updates can be pushed I can see myself buying this.

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
Excited by the new inside out sensor tech in it, but I'm slightly disappointed that it really a true second generation VR headset which would have display/FOV improvements and would be connected to a PC.

db1416

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
South Florida
Very curious as to how "realistic feeling" it is compared to its computer powered original. I have a bout with motion sickness when it comes to low quality stuff but have used powerful VR setups before and have had no problem.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This sounds pretty awesome! Don't think it will enable the biggest players to make vr experiences like they would do on the rift or the vive, but it sounds perfect to get into vr!

Your move HTC!

I would enjoy it even more if a pc connection was still possible. Love local mp VR play and that's no fun if you can't see what's going on behind the headset..

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
Yeah, that's definitely a good price point. It's a shame that it won't be compatible Rift games. Quest is like a next-gen console, but for VR. I really want to see it in action.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how the battery is going to fare in this thing. It's a major weakness in the Oculus Go, especially since they explicitly state not to charge it while in use. I was burning through a full charge in little over an hour playing games, or maybe two hours of general use.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Sounds good. No cables, touch controllers included and the price seems ok. I may finally jump on the VR bandwagon.

Ok. Seems more like a better Ocolus Go than a Rift 2.0.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Excellent price point, and it looks like the full might of Facebook is behind this.
This will definitely kill off the Vive Focus and may well doom HTC.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Depending on the power and library, I could see myself picking one of these up on sale to compliment my Vive.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to see VR improving, really bodes well for the future. I'm hoping to jump on the VR bandwagon in 2020. At the moment the resolution and fov is just not where I want it, the Pimax 5k is probably the closest headset on the market to what I want.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm cautiously optimistic about this, on one hand I love that we finally can get rid of all the wires and sensors and shit, on the other, can a device this small actually deliver a good gaming experience?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually curious about this to get one for my Ma. She played Job Simulator when she visited me once and she loved it and said "I can do this all day!" (I worry about when she retires since she has no hobbies).
I bet she'd love flying around with Google Earth, too.