• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plum

May 31, 2018
The actual device sounds good but I think the achilles heel of these sorts of solutions like this are that the libraries don't stray far enough from the whole "mobile-VR" thing. If all you're getting from this are the same kinds of things you can get from Gear VR or Google Daydream then the improvements that come from a more expensive VR solution won't be enough to draw people in. If Oculus can solve that issue it would be great, but that's still not known.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Solid. Once they have an effective way of casting content from a PC or other devices into the device (Using it as your PCVR through streaming). I think they'll truly have something special on their hands. Until then, it's priced a little high for average buyers outside niche scenarios, usually business related.

I just can't personally justify it, even with 6dof. Considering the kind of content that is there now. This will eventually change, but mobile type VR experienced just don't hold up generally speaking.

Those 50 titles they have planned, especially at that resolution with an APU type/ARM unit is going to be a very paired down experience.

OP
OP
bsigg

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
They're talking about how Oculus Quest works with the inside out tracking now on the livestream. I'll add the information once they have a public release rather than trying to summarizing everything they're saying.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I can't imagine what sorcery is under the hood to power higher-end VR at that price-point, but very exciting.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Woah!

;)

Seriously though, the lower price point is great but what kind of games can run on this thing if everything is integrated? And motion sickness is still a big problem if they want this to go mainstream.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I could really see some people around me getting that if they are able to get games like Audioshield, beat saber, SportsBar VR, Eleven Table Tennis, Holopoint, etc..

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine what sorcery is under the hood to power higher-end VR at that price-point, but very exciting.
Probably a pretty hefty ARM chip with a solid gpu unit. But regardless, those are probably going to to be some very heavily tweaked versions of the games. Which is why they're working with those studios, as a straight port even at lowest settings wouldn't be viable.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still think making these without a connectable tether of some kind to leverage your PC's power/use it as a desktop VR device as well is foolish. That positional data can surely be captured and transmitted and it adds enormous value to the device.

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It took my mate a while to get me to understand what the Quest is.

So STANDALONE (which is massive and came outta nowhere). Games saved ONTO the device...whaa....Rift quality VR? For that pricepoint? Its already besting PSVR and it has those controls too? This is mega surely?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The price is right.

Oh, wait ... this isn't a PC headset, is it? It's like a mobile solution? So this won't run occulus rift titles?

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely in for one of these. Wireless, 6DoF VR I can travel with. Also interested in these new Touch controllers.

Oct 27, 2017

So STANDALONE (which is massive and came outta nowhere). Games saved ONTO the device...whaa....Rift quality VR? For that pricepoint? Its already besting PSVR and it has those controls too? This is mega surely?

I can't imagine the games will match PC Rift quality given the hardware. I don't see it even besting PSVR really. You can only do so much with a mobile chip.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It would be great if I could still have the option to connect it to my PC, so I could have best of both worlds.

I'm not sure if I'm interested in buying games on the Oculus store.

And how will the positioning compare to Vive's amazing room-scale?

Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot of Oculus Store games (30?) so I'd hope for some sort of price break or direct move to whatever library is being built here. If not, not sure I will care to double dip.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
but then it will cannibalize rift
Rift still provided a better overall experience due to the tracking and such I'd assume. Better room scale accuracy etc. Obviously I'm not certain of that. But if it was a better device then they could refocus on tooling and making that device the new primary device and cheaper and likely sell a lot more units given it's flexibility.

OP
OP
bsigg

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
It would be great if I could still have the option to connect it to my PC, so I could have best of both worlds.

I'm not sure if I'm interested in buying games on the Oculus store.

And how will the positioning compare to Vive's amazing room-scale?

It's inside out and 6 degrees of freedom so it should be as good, if not better than the Vive since you're not relying on base stations for tracking.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
but then it will cannibalize rift

So what? They are building a platform/ecosystem, who cares which bit of their hardware you use to interact with it

I'm assuming in facebooks Death Star masterplan the money made of rift hardware is not even a footnote - it's about being the OS leader in a new standard of computing

I'm actually surprised they aren't selling these at a huge loss and throwing money at developer exclusives

And they absolutely should be making a pc/mobile headset. It boggles my mind why they havent

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's inside out and 6 degrees of freedom so it should be as good, if not better than the Vive since you're not relying on base stations for tracking.

It wouldn't be better just because it doesn't need base stations. Sure, those are annoying to setup.. but once you're in the game that doesn't really matter.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The price is right.

Oh, wait ... this isn't a PC headset, is it? It's like a mobile solution? So this won't run occulus rift titles?

It's an Oculus Go "Pro".

Goronmon

Nov 9, 2017
So are these platform specific games, or just PC games that have low enough requirements to run on the hardware?

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Nintendo Go is now a reality! Pretty interesting piece of hardware. Clearly going to be some cut corners to make it all work, but the end results looks great so far!

mrprime

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Disappointing. The mobile-tier VR experiences are broadly gimmicks and Granny traps, it's good they're adding touch controllers to the package but I think the real ground to cover is in the high end. I love VR, but I feel like any headset which isn't addressing the core issues with VR immersion is a wasted endeavour.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Have they solved the motion sickness problem yet?

The "motion sickness problem" has been solved since the Oculus and Vive launched.

Maintain a strong framerate + good tracking + never, ever, EVER move the world around the player. You need to put the player in a fixed environment, and let them walk around the world with their own feet. You can use clever tricks like redirected walking (Unseen Diplomacy) or well-refined teleport implementations (Budget Cuts, aka *not* what most games have), to make this less limiting than it seems.

SuperHot VR, Beat Saber, etc, when played on a good headset with good tracking on a computer that can keep up, will never give anyone motion sickness. Full stop. The problem is that people want software where they can walk around like they can in traditional games. That works fine for some players, but it will never work for everyone.

Last edited:

johan

Oct 29, 2017
This is very, very interesting..

I can probably make some money with this, so I'll definitely get it

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
The actual device sounds good but I think the achilles heel of these sorts of solutions like this are that the libraries don't stray far enough from the whole "mobile-VR" thing. If all you're getting from this are the same kinds of things you can get from Gear VR or Google Daydream then the improvements that come from a more expensive VR solution won't be enough to draw people in. If Oculus can solve that issue it would be great, but that's still not known.
Sounds like they're porting core Rift games like Robo Recall. Now that both the headset and controllers are 6dof there's no reason they can't do others as long as it can run on the hardware. The reason Go and Daydream have more limited experiences is specifically because they're either 3dof headsets or only have simple 3dof controllers if not both.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Robo Recall and Moss are in the launch lineup is a good sign regarding power, yeah. I'm sure the cuts will be plenty noticeable in these games, but IMO if the hand tracking is even "pretty good" this could be a much more appealing VR gaming entry point than PSVR. And you can easily take it anywhere without the nightmare setup!

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Dam. I have a rift but this being wireless and not needing a pc is really tempting. Curious to see how this turns out.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

yeah this is gonna be huge

anyone know if there's any residual creepiness / racism at Oculus after Luckey's ousting? I want to be excited about this but if there's a larger problem with the company then I'm alright

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing. The mobile-tier VR experiences are broadly gimmicks and Granny traps, it's good they're adding touch controllers to the package but I think the real ground to cover is in the high end. I love VR, but I feel like any headset which isn't addressing the core issues with VR immersion is a wasted endeavour.
I mean they're bringing titles to the device. But it means that it will be mainly sub optimal ports from the main VR platforms.