• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, was considering getitng a Quest for my birthday. I don't know if I trust Oculus neutering features like this :/

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Ewwww. Well after watching valves shit in action I figured these cats weren't getting my VR money anyway. Their right to do so, but still not digging it.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I'll buy an Index when it's wireless and uses no lighthouses.

I'm not being snarky, because it will happen, probably in 2.5 years.

Oh I feel you for sure, I can't blame you. I'm not buying into VR at all until we have more big games and less short experiences. I believe it is the future whether we like it or not. The potential is unreal, just needs a bit more refinement.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Like, I get it: this blows a massive hole in the Quest's walled garden. With that said, I don't think anyone would be complaining nearly as loudly if Occulus' curation of the Quest Store hadn't been so blatantly bullshit.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
There have been so many bad decisions over the last few days that directly affect me. What are these companies thinking?

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Apple antitrust case can't happen soon enough. At least that way we will get a legal stance on these kind of practices.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
And that's why you don't support closed hardware platforms.
While it's crap (and transparent that this is cynically driven rather than wanting to uphold quality or whatever nonsense), the Quest isn't a closed hardware platform fortunately. There's already a couple of solutions to do this same thing installed on my Quest, and the developer of this says he's going to release his work for sideloading.

Whether they don't want people spending money on Valve's store, or whether they're planning their own solution they intend to sell in some way, for people that bought this software for this feature, it's 100% bullshit they did this. Fortunately most will be able to get refunds, but not everyone will and all should.

Meanwhile I've been playing Beatsaber mods, and Quake and Doom ports.

So TLDR, Oculus are being shitty and anti consumer here, but the Quest isn't a closed hardware platform and games can be modded, and you can install software without buying it from the Oculus Store including software that lets you stream games from Steam VR.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
The closed, stand-alone nature of Quest is the primary reason I decided to pass on one. For the moment, I'll keep waiting as far as VR hardware goes.
Which sucks, because I really want to play BeatSaber and a couple other games (but mostly BeatSaber).

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Lighthouse 2.0 seems like a complete debacle IMO. It's actually more expensive than LH1 (and people were giving HTC a lot of shit for the old 1.0 prices). It wasn't supposed to be so expensive, so I'd love to know what happened to the production process that made things go so off track. I'm definitely with you that it's not a technology with any future. It was an ingenious solution that solved a problem in 2016. It's outlived that usefulness.

Wireless stalling out has been perplexing me (since Gabe was promising HMDs would be shipping in 2018 with it built in), but it all seems like it hinges on 802.11ay (which has been repeatedly delayed and is supposedly going to be finalized in March 2020). 802.11ay is the real deal, though. It's what VR needs to have no compromise wireless VR.

So I think it could absolutely happen within 2 years. I'm going to be disappointed if it doesn't.

While it's crap (and transparent that this is cynically driven rather than wanting to uphold quality or whatever nonsense), the Quest isn't a closed hardware platform fortunately. There's already a couple of solutions to do this same thing installed on my Quest, and the developer of this says he's going to release his work for sideloading.

Whether they don't want people spending money on Valve's store, or whether they're planning their own solution they intend to sell in some way, for people that bought this software for this feature, it's 100% bullshit they did this. Fortunately most will be able to get refunds, but not everyone will and all should.

Meanwhile I've been playing Beatsaber mods, and Quake and Doom ports.

So TLDR, Oculus are being shitty and anti consumer here, but the Quest isn't a closed hardware platform and games can be modded, and you can install software without buying it from the Oculus Store including software that lets you stream games from Steam VR.

Doom got ported to Quest, too? I don't suppose either of these have comfort options (ie vignetting when moving)? I don't think I can handle movement in either of these without vignetting.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'll buy a Quest when I can get reliable 360 controller tracking with no blind spots and controllers on par with the Index controllers that I can actually let go without dropping the controllers.

Two can play at this game, mate. I'd rather deal with the initial setup and cables for the Index than settle for the limitations of the Quest.

Lighthouse 2.0 seems like a complete debacle IMO. It's actually more expensive than LH1 (and people were giving HTC a lot of shit for the old 1.0 prices). It wasn't supposed to be so expensive, so I'd love to know what happened to the production process that made things go so off track. I'm definitely with you that it's not a technology with any future. It was an ingenious solution that solved a problem in 2016. It's outlived that usefulness.

Wireless stalling out has been perplexing me (since Gabe was promising HMDs would be shipping in 2018 with it built in), but it all seems like it hinges on 802.11ay (which has been repeatedly delayed and is supposedly going to be finalized in March 2020). 802.11ay is the real deal, though. It's what VR needs to have no compromise wireless VR.

So I think it could absolutely happen within 2 years. I'm going to be disappointed if it doesn't.
Wireless is one thing, but if Valve thought camera tracking was mature enough to be worth implementing, it'd be in the Index by now. I'll consider lighthouses to be obsolete when camera tracking becomes 1) as accurate and 2) eliminates blind spots for controller tracking. And the only way I see the latter ever happening as if the controllers themselves get cameras for independent tracking.

A wireless add-on is certainly happening at some point, though.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll buy a Quest when I can get reliable 360 controller tracking with no blind spots and controllers on par with the Index controllers that I can actually let go without dropping the controllers.

Two can play at this game, mate. I'd rather deal with the initial setup and cables for the Index than settle for the limitations of the Quest.

Wireless is one thing, but if Valve thought camera tracking was mature enough to be worth implementing, it'd be in the Index by now. I'll consider lighthouses to be obsolete when camera tracking becomes 1) as accurate and 2) eliminates blind spots for controller tracking. And the only way I see the latter ever happening as if the controllers themselves get cameras for independent tracking.

A wireless add-on is certainly happening at some point, though.

I think another big thing that Lighthouses (or a similar solution) offer is the capability for full body tracking. I have Vive wireless trackers for full body tracking in the games that support it and it's amazing. It brings VR to an entirely different level of immersive and I can't imagine going back to not having them for the games I use them in. It seems something that would be very difficult to pull off without an external tracking solution like lighthouses.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
The quote wasn't even what Valve was going to do. As far as I'm concerned, they die on some odd hills. But whatever. They're still the most interesting player in the arena. It's whether you could get a SteamVR HMD that was wireless and computer vision based within the next 2.5 years.

HTC is releasing the Vive Cosmo in Q3. This is a computer vision based HMD that's running SteamVR natively. If this combo is now an option (and it certainly seems that way), hopefully more companies will start taking the computer vision/Steam VR track. Lighthouse's insane cost is the reason Valve wasn't able to attract a single major CE company besides HTC. It'll be ideal if this new possibility can bring more manufacturers into the SteamVR ecosystem. And as far as I'm concerned, Quest and Rift S have already reached the good enough category. Everything else is just gravy at this point.