• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
www.bloomberg.com

Facebook Reality Labs VP: VR Will Transform Global Work

Andrew Bosworth, vice president at Facebook Reality Labs, discusses the many applications of virtual and augmented reality technology beyond gaming, particularly with the Oculus Quest headset. He also shares the company's recent work on building wristbands for its AR glasses and the rising...

ExqwXVIVIAUcbBk

Emily Chang Bloomberg Reporter: So it feels like we've been talking about the potential and promise for a long time. I remember that moment when Facebook bought Oculus in 2014, and it still hasn't had that mainstream moment, if you will. When does that happen - is it still a few years off?

Andrew Bosworth Facebook Reality Labs VP: Well if you look a little closely, I think it's starting to happen right now, The fact that Oculus Quest 2 in just a few months in the market has outsold not just it's predecessor, but all it's predecessors combined, is a tremendous indicator that we are now at that point where we have broken through the early adopter crowd to an increasingly mainstream crowd.

Just a day ago marked 5 years since the original Rift released, so here's an interesting look back at the last 5 years of Oculus and how each headset came into being, with some predictions for the next 5: https://tech.fb.com/five-years-of-vr-an-oral-history-from-oculus-rift-to-quest-2/

Last edited:

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Launching right during Q4 of the quarantine helped.

The marketing muscle was seemingly far beyond the prior efforts combined as well. I see ads nonstop.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
www.bloomberg.com

Facebook Reality Labs VP: VR Will Transform Global Work

Andrew Bosworth, vice president at Facebook Reality Labs, discusses the many applications of virtual and augmented reality technology beyond gaming, particularly with the Oculus Quest headset. He also shares the company's recent work on building wristbands for its AR glasses and the rising...

Just a day ago marked 5 years since the original Rift released, so here's an interesting look back at the last 5 years of Oculus and how each headset came into being, with some predictions for the next 5: https://tech.fb.com/five-years-of-vr-an-oral-history-from-oculus-rift-to-quest-2/
I was gonna get a RIFT S but comparing them their is literally no reason to as the QUEST 2 can do everything it can at a higher resolution used it to play ALYX and it was something else.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Still not putting numbers out there? I'm honestly curious because I know the Quest 2 is hot so I want to know how close in line it is with the sales figures of PSVR.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Great. It's a fantastic piece of kit.

I bet the Quest 1 would've sold a lot more if it wasn't supply constrained for its whole life. It was impossible to get one for ages. Thankfully they seem to have fixed that with the Q2.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an incredible product, that should hopefully move forward to set the standard for all VR headsets in the future. Hopefully the Quest 3 will be capable of running Half-Life Alyx.

Mar 23, 2018
Really wish it was "jailbreakable" so it could be disconnected from FB's watchful eye entirely, otherwise I'm staying far away. No one else comes close to the price with comparable feature set.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Do they make a new one of these every year? Didn't realize they were so many.
2017 is the only year without a release. Quest 2 was supposed to be a 2021 release, but the team pulled a few miracles to get it to happen earlier.

I wouldn't expect a Quest 3 until 2022, but it's possible they could release a Quest 2 pro for 2021.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
It's VR's iPhone moment. It sucks so much ass that I have to deal with Facebook but the hardware is so great.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
It's VR's iPhone moment. It sucks so much ass that I have to deal with Facebook but the hardware is so great.
I'd say it's the Commodore 64 moment. iPhone moment is still out in the future.

Interestingly, Michael Abrash (Facebook Reality Labs Chief Researcher) calls Quest 2 the Apple II (1977) moment. I think he means moreso in terms of tech maturity, since the mouse didn't get standardized until 1984 with Macintosh, and haptic gloves + wrist-band BCI input appear to be roughly a decade away for the average consumer.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
how is quest 2 compared to ...rift cv1? assuming connecting both to PC of course.

It's inside-out tracking for a start so no sensors needed. The sensors are in the headset. And totally wireless (well, you can plug in or stream wirelessly from your PC, whatever works better for you).

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
It's a crazy value package. It's too bad the comfort of long-term play (>30min) is subpar but the low price for the hardware contents and the excellent Quest inside-out tracking make the product line a before and after moment for VR. Next big milestones is PSVR2 (competition desperately needed) and eye-tracking.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad for VR overall, but also it sucks that the company to do it is the most rotten one, and I LOVED (and still do even compared to the index) my CV1. I hate their telemetry, I hate facebook, I hate the huge performance loss/bad stability on anything steamVR, and I hate that they abandoned all their prior products and left me in the dirt. They have absolutely awful support and they are kind of a terrible company even disregarding big daddy facebook. But, the hardware is good.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
how is quest 2 compared to ...rift cv1? assuming connecting both to PC of course.
Rift has much better black levels and better comfort/audio out of the box, but the latter two will be better with the elite strap & your own headphones.

Quest 2 has higher latency when hooked up to a PC, but whether you notice that is a personal thing.

Quest 2's tracking will break with your hands behind you, but 2 or 3 Rift sensors won't have this issue.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Good for VR, but still fuck Facebook.

Really hope Deca Gear ships and is good, HTC actually shows a new headset and that Valve goes wireless

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Facebook hegemony of an entire new medium shouldn't make anyone uncomfortable right?

If they keep making hardware like this and investing in developers then I'm super comfortable with it.

They're comfortably making some of the best hardware and the best software in the game. I don't judge anyone who feels uncomfortable about them as a company but I'm fine with it.

It's very likely that VR will be an ongoing success directly because of Facebook and their investment. That's good for the industry.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
It is true, it is difficult to beat the value proposition of hardware sold at a loss. If I were to get a Quest I'd look into jailbreaking the thing if that is even possible and only using it with SteamVR and side loaded stuff. The last thing I want is hardware filled with cameras and microphones recording my home being beamed back to Zuckerberg. That will only get worse once these things start having simple BCI in them and can read simple emotional states.

Developers making games based around performing on phone chips doesn't particularly interest me.

jim2011

Oct 27, 2017
how is image quality? did they manage to mitigate the screen door effect?

Image quality is WAY WAY better than Rift CV1 or even Rift S which I also owned. Put it this way, I sold my Rift CV1 for Rift S but also got Quest 2 at the same time. Once they updated Oculus Link, there is absolutely no reason for the Rift S.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do they make a new one of these every year? Didn't realize there were so many.

They had 3 product lines for a short while to cater to different spectrum of the market (low, mid, high end).

They have streamlined the product lines to just the Oculus Quest 2 now, as it is capable of running PCVR and is affordable enough for mainstream.

It is true, it is difficult to beat the value proposition of hardware sold at a loss. If I were to get a Quest I'd look into jailbreaking the thing if that is even possible and only using it with SteamVR and side loaded stuff. The last thing I want is hardware filled with cameras and microphones recording my home being beamed back to Zuckerberg. That will only get worse once these things start having simple BCI in them and can read simple emotional states.

Developers making games based around performing on phone chips doesn't particularly interest me.

You can already use it with SteamVR and side load stuffs. That's how I Half-Life Alyxed last year.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Craziness. They got a real hit on their hands.
As a current Quest 2 owner and as someone who has owed Gear VR and Quest 1, i'm going to make a wild hot take: I think FB is fumbling despite the sales and that VR might be Sony's game to take completely. I suspect that in hindsight, this will all shake out to be a Wii. Great sales, early adoption, no stickiness. All of the weaknesses of Quest / Facebook Labs (infrastructure, not hardware) are Sony's actual strengths. Video incoming.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I'm of the opinion that the Quest-style headsets are the future of VR, at least for the mainstream.

Once these standalone headsets really become powerful enough to handle bigger games, I think you'll see even crazier sales.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
As a current Quest 2 owner and as someone who has owed Gear VR and Quest 1, i'm going to make a wild hot take: I think FB is fumbling despite the sales and that VR might be Sony's game to take completely. I suspect that in hindsight, this will all shake out to be a Wii. Great sales, early adoption, no stickiness. All of the weaknesses of Quest / Facebook Labs (infrastructure, not hardware) are Sony's actual strengths. Video incoming.
Facebook are investing much more than Sony, at least 10 times over, and have the advantage of price.

They aren't targeting gamers in the long-run. They want VR/AR to be the next computing platform beyond mobile and PC, and only Apple has the resources to compete with them until other companies invest more.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
I had a psvr and hated it because all the cables, camera and charging the move controllers. I ended up getting a quest 2 and love it. Spent so much time on the weekends in big screen which has a nice older crowd. It's fun running into the same people every weekend and hanging out with them.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
That's certainly possible. I have a Oculus CV1 myself. Opted for that over PSVR. I'm thinking about going to PSVR2 though.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Literally every single other VR headset maker:

EKcJlBfWwAAE8uH.jpg

It's honestly crazy how Facebook is just completely lacking any real competition right now. A comparison could easily be made to the handheld console market and how Nintendo just completely dominated for years simply by being the only player in the game actually trying to make mainstream products.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly crazy how Facebook is just completely lacking any real competition right now. A comparison could easily be made to the handheld console market and how Nintendo just completely dominated for years simply by being the only player in the game actually trying to make mainstream products.
Yep. Oculus is making the Super Nintendo. Everyone else is trying to sell NeoGeo and 3DO.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
The Quest 2 is just too good of a value to ignore. It's priced way better than anything else and punches way above it's weight. I don't like the FB integration like most and had to make basic account just to use it, but I never log into/interact with it so it's not much of an issue. The ability to play games directly on the Quest and full PCVR games with a $15 USB cable or completely wirelessly with Virtual Desktop is incredible.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm really tempted to get one. i don't have a powerful PC so i don't think i'll get any use out of it as a PCVR headset but there's a lot of quest games that i think i'd enjoy. the only problem i have is that i need a facebook account to use it :/

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Being able to just grab the headset, put it on, and in seconds be in a game is crazy. It also allows for the ability to show people VR without much setup and the ability to bring it to them.

hayabusi

Apr 26, 2019
Tempted as well, but the FB thing is so off-putting that I just don't bother.

I would have the PC to run an Index, but the 1000€ are just a little too much..

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017

I completely disagree. Sony lack focus. Their focus is PS5 and they will never take major Dev resources away from it to make VR games.

Also, wired VR is never going to be popular.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Look up the leaked Zuckerberg email about VR as it explains why Facebook are currently so dominant in VR.

He really believes VR/AR is the next big platform after mobile and that Facebook must have control over it. He is not happy that Apple and Google have power over Facebook in the mobile space and he doesn't want a repeat of that.

The many billions they spend every year investing in VR makes sense when you realize that Facebook sees VR/AR as an important part of the company's future. The question is what other company sees things the same way. Google abandoned VR and Amazon never cared. Microsoft is still in VR, but not as aggressive. We'll see what Apple does, but I expect them to focus more on AR than VR. I don't think Facebook will ever get real competition in what they are trying to do.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Tempted as well, but the FB thing is so off-putting that I just don't bother.

I would have the PC to run an Index, but the 1000€ are just a little too much..

The Index is such an outdated headset design. It's embarrassing. The controllers are nice but...Outside in tracking boxes you need to install in your room...hell no. Don't do it. Vive headsets too are well behind Oculus now in many regards.

The reason Quest 2 is great and successful is that it's portable, convenient and just works 99.9% of the time without any issues. The software experience is fantastic as a standalone headset or in Oculus Link mode. It also has a much larger library of games and apps than any other VR headset.

FB thing is off putting and I'm extremely against Facebook's behaviour in general...but they have by far the best product on the market. And I have no data for them to collect aside from boring shit that I already give away to 15 other companies.