• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
I'll need to tinker with the resolution on the oculus pc app as Alyx is often quite blurry for me too. I swear when I first loaded it up it wasn't but perhaps I just didn't notice it with being bowled over with that first impression.

Is there a consensus on best resolution? I did the steam VR bench test and my PC is way above the minimum requirements.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
As another person in their 40s, Half Life Alyx gave me one unique gaming experience. I had played a lot of Pistol Whip earlier in the day, and I had used the stairs in my building several times in the day. So while I was playing Alyx at the end of the night, and was low on ammo, and was staring at low cabinets thinking "I need to search here, but my knees don't want to. And if I convince my knees to do it and there's nothing in them it's going to be so deflating." I so wished for full body tracking in that moment so I could pull the handle with my toes.

jack.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll need to tinker with the resolution on the oculus pc app as Alyx is often quite blurry for me too. I swear when I first loaded it up it wasn't but perhaps I just didn't notice it with being bowled over with that first impression.

Is there a consensus on best resolution? I did the steam VR bench test and my PC is way above the minimum requirements.

Alyx's dynamic resolution can do weird stuff when playing in Virtual Desktop. I've found things are a lot smoother after tweaking it like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/jgxdn5/half_life_alyx_wireless_configure_dynamic/ or disabling it altogether.

Disorientator

Oct 27, 2017
Cyprus
i think maybe the default rendering is lower than quest native so you might be able to sharpen it up by tweaking that if your PC is capable. But not entirely sure - VD updates all the time so it might have changed that

Hmmm...will check into that thanks.

Also, here is the OT for alyx.

www.resetera.com

Half-Life Alyx |OT| The right woman in the right place

I've mainly been playing Skyrim VR since getting my first headset, but I finally started this, and I'm up to chapter 5 I think. Just...amazing, and the visuals are so crystal clear on the G2. I feel like part of it is due to the gun itself (the sights), but I also see I'm trash as shooting. 😆...

They love first impressions over there too! :')

Totally forgot to check out the OT, cheers!

Buzzbrad

Oct 27, 2017

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone. I just picked up a Quest 2 and was trying to use the oculus link to play some games on Steam. I'm having major issues getting this thing to link properly. Every time I click to start up Oculus Link, it loads, then just dumps me back to the home screen. I then try again but it for some reason says I've been disconnected from my PC. I also have the banner at the top of the oculus app that says I don't meet minimum system requirements.

I doubt it's my system, but perhaps there's no support for 30 series cards yet? Apologize if this has been discussed before, but I'm stumped. My rig should be able to handle this with no problem, but I can't even make it to the oculus link page on my headset.
Ryzen 9
RTX 3070
16 GB Ram
Hooking up into a USB C 3.0 slot

Thanks in advance!

jj70

Oct 27, 2017
Hi folks,
while I'm having no problem with my rig 3090 in playing star wars squadrons with oculus link (and an non official link suggested into amazon comments) I'm just curious about VD and wireless streaming - I'm going to use an old modem router (netgear D6300) which is an AC1300 (wifi 5) and as it's placed directly into the room where I'm going to play I should be able to run everything with no problem (I've read that I need to connect the WAN port to my switch and a cable from the pc ethernet to the router ethernet). But this morning , as I hadn't time to test anything yet (not bought VD yet) I've read that I should be able to create an hotspot from my pc (I got a MEG 2490 GODLIKE Motherborad with has AX and WIFI6). How can I remove the router and use my pc instead to stream directly to the Oculus Quest 2? Any guide to suggest to me?
Thanks...

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Hi folks,
while I'm having no problem with my rig 3090 in playing star wars squadrons with oculus link (and an non official link suggested into amazon comments) I'm just curious about VD and wireless streaming - I'm going to use an old modem router (netgear D6300) which is an AC1300 (wifi 5) and as it's placed directly into the room where I'm going to play I should be able to run everything with no problem (I've read that I need to connect the WAN port to my switch and a cable from the pc ethernet to the router ethernet). But this morning , as I hadn't time to test anything yet (not bought VD yet) I've read that I should be able to create an hotspot from my pc (I got a MEG 2490 GODLIKE Motherborad with has AX and WIFI6). How can I remove the router and use my pc instead to stream directly to the Oculus Quest 2? Any guide to suggest to me?
Thanks...
Try this. There seems to be a problem with Windows 10 offering 5GHz wireless (maybe it has been patched), but there is workaround:
Hey everyone. I just picked up a Quest 2 and was trying to use the oculus link to play some games on Steam. I'm having major issues getting this thing to link properly. Every time I click to start up Oculus Link, it loads, then just dumps me back to the home screen. I then try again but it for some reason says I've been disconnected from my PC. I also have the banner at the top of the oculus app that says I don't meet minimum system requirements.

I doubt it's my system, but perhaps there's no support for 30 series cards yet? Apologize if this has been discussed before, but I'm stumped. My rig should be able to handle this with no problem, but I can't even make it to the oculus link page on my headset.
Ryzen 9
RTX 3070
16 GB Ram
Hooking up into a USB C 3.0 slot

Thanks in advance!
Be sure that NVIDIA drivers, Oculus Software, Quest headset Software are all on the newest version. I'd also recommend having at least Windows 10 version 2004 installed (you can check this by clicking the Start-Button and then just type "winver" in the search). Also, try different USB-cables. USB 2 cables work now, but 3 is highly recommended. Also, try different USB-Slots on your board and be sure to plug into a USB-3 port (usually blue and/or marked with SS). Set your windows energy settings to High Performance.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
and then there were 6 courses (well more 12 since each one has a hard mode as well) included with Walkabout Mini Golf

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Be sure that NVIDIA drivers, Oculus Software, Quest headset Software are all on the newest version. I'd also recommend having at least Windows 10 version 2004 installed (you can check this by clicking the Start-Button and then just type "winver" in the search). Also, try different USB-cables. USB 2 cables work now, but 3 is highly recommended. Also, try different USB-Slots on your board and be sure to plug into a USB-3 port (usually blue and/or marked with SS). Set your windows energy settings to High Performance.
It's strange because i got it to work for about 5 minutes, then crashed me back to the Oculus main screen. I kept trying to go back to Link but no good, just kept booting me back to the home screen and made the device Orange, saying i should use an HDMI 3.0 cable. I was reading somewhere that it may have to do with the usb port cutting power to the device once it hits a certain battery percentage. I notice it works for a bit when power is less than 90%, which seem odd. I wonder if there's a way to keep the port from cutting it's power to the device if that's actually happening.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
VR people, download Gorilla Tag, it's free and so much fun, on Quest and PCVR. I'd love to play with some people from here sometime. The movement feels great, you push yourself around with your arms, jumping by slamming your gorilla fists down.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
VR people, download Gorilla Tag, it's free and so much fun, on Quest and PCVR. I'd love to play with some people from here sometime. The movement feels great, you push yourself around with your arms, jumping by slamming your gorilla fists down.
thanks for the suggestion. Looks hilarious and fun

redfiend

Oct 25, 2017
I heard people been breaking their controllers with Gorilla Tag so make sure to have enough space.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017

Where do you download it from? Don't see it in App Lab or the Oculus store.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
yea so I just got done doing a really short session of gorilla tag.

This game has people getting fucked up in REAL life. Unreal how many people are busting their fingers and heads on random pieces of furniture. You can hear people breathing hard while tryin to talk too. This game is hard tho. Wall jumping is an advanced skill and I still dont have the hang of it. I can barely climb trees.

The way maps are separated form each other is brilliant. You just walk to a different map by taking a secret tunnel and it seamlessly blends the stages together like it is one world (think dark soul's). A new session is generated as you are traveling and you can stick together with past session players if you follow them it seems.

Falling feels so scary when you miss a jump lol. The speed makes me get butterflies in my stomach.

ZERO people have been toxic (so far...) which is interesting. I wonder why...?

Feels like the old playground days as a kid.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada

This game has people getting fucked up in REAL life. Unreal how many people are busting their fingers and heads on random pieces of furniture. You can hear people breathing hard while tryin to talk too. This game is hard tho. Wall jumping is an advanced skill and I still dont have the hang of it. I can barely climb trees.

The way maps are separated form each other is brilliant. You just walk to a different map by taking a secret tunnel and it seamlessly blends the stages together like it is one world (think dark soul's). A new session is generated as you are traveling and you can stick together with past session players if you follow them it seems.

Falling feels so scary when you miss a jump lol. The speed makes me get butterflies in my stomach.

sounds amazing.Do you know if there any plans to list it in the Applab?

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Got my Link cable today. I was suppose to get my Halo strap today as well, but it got delayed unfortunately. Already tried out the Link cable and yep, as solid as people claimed. $80 was a tough pill to swallow for a cable, but if it holds up well I won't complain.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Got my Link cable today. I was suppose to get my Halo strap today as well, but it got delayed unfortunately. Already tried out the Link cable and yep, as solid as people claimed. $80 was a tough pill to swallow for a cable, but if it holds up well I won't complain.
Highly recommend trying out Virtual Desktop streaming! I used the link cable once and then went back to wireless as its basically perfect if your setup is right

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand

okay this does look hilarious :D

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So my VR room was taken up by Christmas stuff until we finally got unlazy enough to take it all down and put it in the garage , so I've not really paid attention to anything since like...late November? What cool stuff have I missed? Is there a good halo strap for Quest 2 now that's better than the official elite strap with battery? I heard that Virtual Desktop doesn't have to be sideloaded anymore. Seems cool!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Highly recommend trying out Virtual Desktop streaming! I used the link cable once and then went back to wireless as its basically perfect if your setup is right
I use the link cable far more often than VD, and it's not just because VD can be hit or miss if it wants to work for me with the quest 2 (worked nearly flawlessly on quest 1 though) thinking I might need a wifi 6 router to get it running right.... but the main reason is... the link will charge the headset while playing. Most of the games I end up playing via link are puzzle games and what not that I sit down during anyway.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I use the link cable far more often than VD, and it's not just because VD can be hit or miss if it wants to work for me with the quest 2 (worked nearly flawlessly on quest 1 though) thinking I might need a wifi 6 router to get it running right.... but the main reason is... the link will charge the headset while playing. Most of the games I end up playing via link are puzzle games and what not that I sit down during anyway.
There are online guides to troubleshoot where the delay is coming from (assume thats what you mean by not running right) and there are a bunch of cool built in profiler options too. Wifi6 shouldn't be needed, I had it pretty much perfect with my default router from my ISP, a 15m gigabit Ethernet cable going straight to the router, and direct line of sight was all it took for me. Unless you have a heap of interference where you live which I guess would be the one thing you can't get around

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
There are online guides to troubleshoot where the delay is coming from (assume thats what you mean by not running right) and there are a bunch of cool built in profiler options too. Wifi6 shouldn't be needed, I had it pretty much perfect with my default router from my ISP, a 15m gigabit Ethernet cable going straight to the router, and direct line of sight was all it took for me. Unless you have a heap of interference where you live which I guess would be the one thing you can't get around
I spent two days trying to fix it, but at no point could I fix the main issue. About every 4-5 seconds for about a quarter of a second the video/sound would freeze.

Like I said it used to work just fine on my quest 1 (I haven't tried it again on it since then) but it's also not impossible my router is slightly going. I don't have many issues with it but from time to time I have to unplug it and reset it that way because it stops connecting to things. I also know when playing walkabout minigulf I've had my wifi disconnect twice.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
No go. It was certainly usable, but I noticed an inherent stutter, similar to bad framepacing, and in dark scenes I definitely noticed the compression even at max settings. On top of that, I'm a VRChat user, in fact that's all I use VR for. I noticed in VRChat that with how Virtual Desktop does its audio was causing the game audio to echo through my mic and I couldn't seem to solve it, and other VD users in VRChat I talked with reported the same issue. I often have long sessions in VRChat so I needed to have the headset plugged in and even then I was still depleting power, just at a reduced rate. If I'm gonna be tethered anyways I figured might as well get the Link cable and get the benefit of no stutter, no loss of power, no echo on my mic and no compression artifacts. It was just all around the better choice for me.

With that said, it was crazy impressive to have my PC wirelessly on the headset. It simply didn't meet my specific needs.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
No go. It was certainly usable, but I noticed an inherent stutter, similar to bad framepacing, and in dark scenes I definitely noticed the compression even at max settings. On top of that, I'm a VRChat user, in fact that's all I use VR for. I noticed in VRChat that with how Virtual Desktop does its audio was causing the game audio to echo through my mic and I couldn't seem to solve it, and other VD users in VRChat I talked with reported the same issue. I often have long sessions in VRChat so I needed to have the headset plugged in and even then I was still depleting power, just at a reduced rate. If I'm gonna be tethered anyways I figured might as well get the Link cable and get the benefit of no stutter, no loss of power, no echo on my mic and no compression artifacts. It was just all around the better choice for me.

With that said, it was crazy impressive to have my PC wirelessly on the headset. It simply didn't meet my specific needs.
Ah yeah fair enough. I've never used VR chat, and never noticed any artifacts....and I can't do more than an hour and a half in VR before starting to feel funny, so battery life has never been an issue for me either. Glad the link cable works well for you though!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yeah fair enough. I've never used VR chat, and never noticed any artifacts....and I can't do more than an hour and a half in VR before starting to feel funny, so battery life has never been an issue for me either. Glad the link cable works well for you though!
my record before this week was like 80 minutes of VR straight. Now I've had two back to back 2+ hour sessions of Walkabout Minigolf lol.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
sounds amazing.Do you know if there any plans to list it in the Applab?
Not that I know of.... Using SIDEQUEST will allow it to be played natively on the headset tho (still with cross play). Gonna experiment with SIDEQUEST today and try it without wires because I am afraid of yanking out my USB cable XD

Oct 29, 2017
So I've had my Q2 about 2 weeks, interested in Gorilla Tag (looks fun!), but how hard is "SideQuest" to set up? Im not even 100% sure what it is. If I goof it, does it mess anything else up, or mess with general functionality at all? I'm sure these are dumb questions!

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
So I've had my Q2 about 2 weeks, interested in Gorilla Tag (looks fun!), but how hard is "SideQuest" to set up? Im not even 100% sure what it is. If I goof it, does it mess anything else up, or mess with general functionality at all? I'm sure these are dumb questions!
I always use this site. It not only has guides (that are frequently updated) but also most of the VR news for oculus quest 2 as well.

uploadvr.com

How To Sideload Content On Meta Quest Using SideQuest

Here’s our guide to sideloading content on Oculus Quest, Meta Quest 2 and Quest Pro using SideQuest.

It has everything you'd need. The why, the how, the what. Just remember:

When sideloading, you do need to keep in mind that you are putting content onto your device that has not been approved by Facebook and could potentially damage your device or be malicious in nature, even if it doesn't appear so at first.

Although in this case, it is extremely unlikely this guy (creator of gorilla tag) is gonna do something malicious to your headset/PC.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any experiences with the Virtual Desktop app? Is it as seamless as it makes itself out to be? Is it fairly straight forward to install, link to your PC, link to Steam? Seriously considering pulling the trigger on this, as I've not been able to connect to Oculus Link with my PC, as it seems there may be some compatibility issues with the RTX 30 series cards that is not allowing me to connect to USB C.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Anyone have any experiences with the Virtual Desktop app? Is it as seamless as it makes itself out to be? Is it fairly straight forward to install, link to your PC, link to Steam? Seriously considering pulling the trigger on this, as I've not been able to connect to Oculus Link with my PC, as it seems there may be some compatibility issues with the RTX 30 series cards that is not allowing me to connect to USB C.
It's the primary way I use my Oculus Quest. It's pretty awesome. For 15 bucks it's a pretty low investment as well.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
and then there were 6 courses (well more 12 since each one has a hard mode as well) included with Walkabout Mini Golf

Best course yet, played through it last night. Mighty Coconut is the best; Walkabout is the best bang for your buck on the Oculus Store easily.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
If you have a good wifi setup, it works really well without much effort. From what I have read, the ideal setup is having your PC wired to the router, having a 5GHz router (WiFi6 also helps), ideally on an "uncontested" band and without many other devices on it.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really tempted by Walkabout Mini Golf. How much room do you realistically need? You need to do big swings?

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I'm really tempted by Walkabout Mini Golf. How much room do you realistically need? You need to do big swings?
You don't need a lot of room at all, it's putting so small swings generally work better. It's even possible to play seated. You can teleport all around if you want a better angle on something and pressing the trigger takes you straight back to the ball, ready to swing.

It's a fun little game, especially in multiplayer as you meander around the course chatting and cocking up your shots, well that's how I usually play....

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
You don't need a lot of room at all, it's putting so small swings generally work better. It's even possible to play seated. You can teleport all around if you want a better angle on something and pressing the trigger takes you straight back to the ball, ready to swing.

It's a fun little game, especially in multiplayer as you meander around the course chatting and cocking up your shots, well that's how I usually play....
That sounds pretty great. Thanks!

Bru

Oct 27, 2017
UK

Not much room at all. It's best to play standing but you're only putting and using teleport to navigate. I have interlocked mats that create a safe VR space 80cm square and never venture out of it. The game can be played with your feet fixed to the spot.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
What others said. You don't need much room at all. A bigger space lets you... walkabout... more and makes it a bit easier to get in a good position for your shot, but in general the teleportation works well and move of your movement is just in your wrist.

When I played on Tuesday one of my friends played while sitting for a while, and I did two holes while laying on the ground petting my cat lol.

Instead of going as realistic as possible they made the smart choice of making your putter magically be the perfect length at all times. You don't need to worry about if you are hitting too high or low just your direction and speed which makes it a lot more fun to me as while I can like realism, but stuff like length of a golf club while swinging can be really awkward with a vr controller.