• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'm flying home right now and my Quest is waiting for me. What are the first games I should pick up?
If you haven't played them already somewhere else: Beat Saber, Super Hot, and Rec Room

If you have Journey of the Gods and Vader Immortal.

For a $10 licensed Star Wars thing, Vader Immortal is pretty cool.

Last edited:

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
So it seems like you can't cast Beat Saber to Chromecast? I went and picked up a 3 Chromecast 3, and casting works great, but Beat Saber stops casting as soon as you boot it. If you start casting while playing it closes the game, so it doesnt seem like a bug to me. Pretty dissapointing, this was one of the games I was looking forward to casting at parties.

Synless

Oct 30, 2017
Mine seem like the lenses are smeared but they are not, what's up with that? It's not an angle thing.

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
So it seems like you can't cast Beat Saber to Chromecast? I went and picked up a 3 Chromecast 3, and casting works great, but Beat Saber stops casting as soon as you boot it. If you start casting while playing it closes the game, so it doesnt seem like a bug to me. Pretty dissapointing, this was one of the games I was looking forward to casting at parties.

The developers of Beat Saber blocked casting for some reason. I hope they update it to remove the block.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to adjust the guardian settings? I'm in a 8x9 area but it keeps popping up almost every time I move any direction while playing Superhot, which is really killing immersion.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I've been using wireless headphones for years but after playing one song on Beat Saber using the built-in speakers, I immediately ran out and spent $70 on some wired in-ear headphones for the Quest exclusively.

Those speakers are damn awful.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using wireless headphones for years but after playing one song on Beat Saber using the built-in speakers, I immediately ran out and spent $70 on some wired in-ear headphones for the Quest exclusively.

Those speakers are damn awful.

That is the only thing that bums me out about the hardware. It is incredibly easy to pick up and play at any moment. They nailed every aspect of it. No wires! Amazing.

Then they completely dropped the ball and removed the headphones. Now I can't just stick it on my head and go. If I don't want garbage sound need to deal with a WIRE. Why didn't they just use the exact built in headphones from the CV1? They were excellent.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
That is the only thing that bums me out about the hardware. It is incredibly easy to pick up and play at any moment. They nailed every aspect of it. No wires! Amazing.

Then they completely dropped the ball and removed the headphones. Now I can't just stick it on my head and go. If I don't want garbage sound need to deal with a WIRE. Why didn't they just use the exact built in headphones from the CV1? They were excellent.
I get it. It's to have one less barrier to VR. No closing off headphones let's people keep in contact with outside world. I actually so
think they work great for many apps, and there is something freeing about not having your ears covered. And it makes it a bit sleeker/less clumsy to pass around.

Worse comes to worse you get some clip ones/3D prints that make it like the OG oculus pretty easily. Wired.com uploaded a 3D print for this very thing.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Anybody having audio buzzing, right side specifically? It's a buzz/crackle that comes and goes. Outside of that, I think the built in sound is excellent, at least directionally.... audio from behind, front, sides, all very distinguishable. Response range isn't fantastic but that was expected, and is certainly serviceable.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm not too prideful to admit that stepping into the Dojo in Vader Immortal and picking up a lightsaber for the first time made me tear up. I can't even imagine playing the story. I'm waiting until I'm charged up all the way before playing that though.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Just been playing around with VR Chat and some demos so far but there's no way I'm ever going back to wired VR.

I'm entirely willing to take the fidelity hit if it means being able to just pop my shit on and be good to go at any time. Incredible stuff.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Got some real play time in. Thoughts:

The Quest rests a bit heavy on your cheeks. Built-in audio sucks for music-based games (especially Dance Central, sheesh, the game takes place in a noisy club, without headphones you can barely hear the music), wish it had Rift-style built-in headphones. 3D audio is almost as good as with Rift. The displays are very sharp and detailed, great black levels and contrast (I played the Apollo 11 experience, so got out in space to test that). When games take full advantage of the contrast and resolution they look amazing. God rays are present but far better than basic Oculus Rift, only shows up with very bright colors on pure black. Pixels (Screendoor) are present, but high enough resolution you generally don't notice them unless you are looking for them

I really like being able to just pick it up, put it on (and take it off). It's weird how much better that feels, especially compared to the Pimax, which has a number of steps (including turning on the headset, running the Pitool software, then opening SteamVR, and of course making sure the cables are good). I figured the articles were exaggerating, since that's the main selling point of the device, but it does make quite a difference. So convenient.

I need to maximize the space in my room, it's hard to clear enough room to make the Quest really happy, and if it isn't happy you'll keep seeing the Guardian boundary popping up.

Tracking is great, the only time I ever ran into tracking issues was a controller issue in Dance Central, where the interface is a cell phone. I held the phone up to my face, and tracking crapped out - right in front of the headset is a tracking dead zone

Loading times are horrible, the built-in flash RAM is dog slow, and there is no support for external storage. I wonder if the 128 gig device has faster storage. Installing games really eats up battery life (and takes forever!)

Dance Central breaks the Oculus rules, which sucks. Home button doesn't exit the game no matter how long you hold it, even when paused; pausing doesn't bring up an exit menu (nor even a "exit this song" option). To exit a song, you have to reach to your side to pick up your virtual cell phone, there's a stop button on it. Then exiting the game is hidden in the settings menu on that phone.

Last edited:

Exis

Oct 25, 2017
Well looks like Amazon lost my S delivery.
I think the quest is am amazing product, the store prices are a bit much though as this stuff is never going going on sale. However the instant on of it, that I don't have to mess with audio wires (I really like the speakers) and can get into something in seconds is gonna be the thing that makes me keep it.
I ended up getting these, a lot of things like BeatSaber, Superhot etc I just can't justify buying twice at these prices. Here are the quick impressions
Box VR: I have used this on Steam for ages and while the graphics are mostly the same the particle effects are lower for sure. I almost want to say it it feels slower but I have not had a chance to use it on PC in a month before their last update. It is fantastic to not use the WMR controllers anymore.
Apollo 11: I bought this thinking it would be a good demo for my dad.. but it's ugly.
Robo Recall: It's crossbuy and I never played it on PC and got it mostly for the forthcoming S. I went through the first level and I sure hope PC holds my attention better.
Guided Tai Chi: This sloppy in parts but damn near perfect for what I want it for.
Vader: I only did the lightsaber bit, got stuck in the main game after warp speed.

Last edited:

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not too prideful to admit that stepping into the Dojo in Vader Immortal and picking up a lightsaber for the first time made me tear up. I can't even imagine playing the story. I'm waiting until I'm charged up all the way before playing that though.

My headset fully died on me in story mode. It's one of the most incredible things I've ever done, second only to a Ghibli experience some dude made in Unity.

I wish I had more space in my current setup. As soon as I can I'm going to take this thing out to my local park around sunset. The only thing holding it back for me right now is seeing the guardian boundaries pop up every time I take a step in any direction; it really kills presence.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Apollo 11: I bought this thinking it would be a good demo for my dad.. but it's ugly.
I thought Apollo 11 looked great once you got in the cockpit and then into space. The livingroom at the start is kinda meh. Note that the developers are still working on it - for example, other platforms have interactive bits, they haven't gotten those into this one yet.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
My headset fully died on me in story mode. It's one of the most incredible things I've ever done, second only to a Ghibli experience some dude made in Unity.

I wish I had more space in my current setup. As soon as I can I'm going to take this thing out to my local park around sunset. The only thing holding it back for me right now is seeing the guardian boundaries pop up every time I take a step in any direction; it really kills presence.
This has been my biggest issue so far. I'm a pretty tall guy and I have a wide wingspan and that means I have a lot of ceiling/side wall punches going on. I need a wide open field or something.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Worse comes to worse you get some clip ones/3D prints that make it like the OG oculus pretty easily. Wired.com uploaded a 3D print for this very thing.
No, Wired uploaded a print that attaches headphones to the Rift S's rigid frame, not the Quest's rubber strap. There is a small rigid place it *might* fit, and I'll try it when I have the time.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I posted this on Facebook.

re: Oculus Quest

I feel I need to preface this by saying that I've wanted VR to be a "thing" for an incredibly long time. As far as practical home VR, I've been involved since the beginning with Oculus. I've owned the dev kits. A Rift. A Vive. I've worked on some VR prototypes on my own.

I say all this because I need people to understand that I'm a crazy person. Most know, but that's generally because of board games. But I've been enamored with the idea of being transported to another world far longer than I've been into board games, and the possibilities in VR give me opportunity.

I've long believed that PC VR would never be how VR even attempted to crack into the main stream. You're already looking at a niche audience in terms of required PC power. Then you're dividing that massively by both those that want to make the monetary investment, as well as have the space for it. Make no mistake, the best graphical experience you can have in VR, hands down, is on a PC... if you meet the requirements. PSVR is actually a contender in terms of content. But I no longer believe that the best overall VR experience is on either of those.

The Oculus Quest is, for my money, the best VR experience I've ever had. There is a bit of a roller coaster of emotions when you hear about the Quest. All-in-one device. Oooo. Snapdragon 835 mobile processor. Ehhhh. But I have to say, the all-in-one, wireless device quickly makes you forget about any graphical shortcomings. And to be honest, devs are doing some incredible things to get a lot out of this. Vader walking out and standing in front of me gave me chills in Vader Immortal. Being able to spin around 360 degrees in Beat Saber (which totally isn't necessary) without getting tangled in a cord was so incredibly freeing. It's going to be difficult for me to go back to a tethered headset. I know this after just one evening of playing. I'll still keep my PC headset, for sure, for the experiences I can only get there, but I'm not going to be surprised if a lot of devs start making games Quest compatible, or even Quest exclusive.

If anything starts to push VR into the mainstream, I strongly believe this is going to be it. Again, not knocking any other headset out there or coming out. But this is one of the most compelling pieces of technology I've purchased, with content to back it up on day one. Can't wait to see what comes next, and for wireless bandwidth to get to a point where PC headsets can effectively do it. I won't be investing in another one until I can be untethered.

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017

I feel I need to preface this by saying that I've wanted VR to be a "thing" for an incredibly long time. As far as practical home VR, I've been involved since the beginning with Oculus. I've owned the dev kits. A Rift. A Vive. I've worked on some VR prototypes on my own.

I say all this because I need people to understand that I'm a crazy person. Most know, but that's generally because of board games. But I've been enamored with the idea of being transported to another world far longer than I've been into board games, and the possibilities in VR give me opportunity.

I've long believed that PC VR would never be how VR even attempted to crack into the main stream. You're already looking at a niche audience in terms of required PC power. Then you're dividing that massively by both those that want to make the monetary investment, as well as have the space for it. Make no mistake, the best graphical experience you can have in VR, hands down, is on a PC... if you meet the requirements. PSVR is actually a contender in terms of content. But I no longer believe that the best overall VR experience is on either of those.

The Oculus Quest is, for my money, the best VR experience I've ever had. There is a bit of a roller coaster of emotions when you hear about the Quest. All-in-one device. Oooo. Snapdragon 835 mobile processor. Ehhhh. But I have to say, the all-in-one, wireless device quickly makes you forget about any graphical shortcomings. And to be honest, devs are doing some incredible things to get a lot out of this. Vader walking out and standing in front of me gave me chills in Vader Immortal. Being able to spin around 360 degrees in Beat Saber (which totally isn't necessary) without getting tangled in a cord was so incredibly freeing. It's going to be difficult for me to go back to a tethered headset. I know this after just one evening of playing. I'll still keep my PC headset, for sure, for the experiences I can only get there, but I'm not going to be surprised if a lot of devs start making games Quest compatible, or even Quest exclusive.

If anything starts to push VR into the mainstream, I strongly believe this is going to be it. Again, not knocking any other headset out there or coming out. But this is one of the most compelling pieces of technology I've purchased, with content to back it up on day one. Can't wait to see what comes next, and for wireless bandwidth to get to a point where PC headsets can effectively do it. I won't be investing in another one until I can be untethered.
Echoes my thoughts almost verbatim! FB (Oculus) might just have a huge hit on their hands. You can really tell that a lot of thought and care went into this device.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Played Super Hot for the first time, it's beautiful...dodging bullets like Neo from the Matrix, throwing my emptied pistol at enemies, grabbing theirs out of the air and finishing the level with headshots, I'm having a tough time processing just how much fun I had playing a few levels. I did manage to punch my wall because the boundary was too close, haha.

Beat Saber is good, tried an expert+ song for fun and wowzers was it hard, watching those videos of people playing max difficulty have them make it look easy.

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone who feels like the headset is putting too much downward weight against your face (especially on your cheeks), I definitely recommend tightening up the top velcro strap while you're wearing it. You'll feel the weight lift off a bit.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Face guard sits real high on my cheeks to get proper alignment. Large gap around nose. Big head, I have. Will third parties address?

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question for those who've used virtual desktop. How is the latency? Is it feasible to play a PC game using the quest as a screen?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Holy cow, Vader Immortal is sweet. Not the most interactive adventure, but just enough, and very immersive, seeing everything in scale is great. Best graphics on the Quest (though with a cost, you can't physically move very far without it darkening everything and telling you to move back). The beginning reminded me of the old Disneyland Star Tours ride, or the Mass Effect ride at California's Great America. Hopefully the other episodes don't take too long.

Now I want to play it on my Pimax with the giant field of view, I'll probably re-buy it for Oculus PC when that version is released.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for a good write up, I got the CV1 YEARS ago and just couldn't handle the sickness. I now want to dive in with this soon

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't had the need to return something to Amazon UK before now, it's a very easy experience - you can choose between various couriers collecting it or dropping it off to them (I used Royal Mail, they make a shipping label on the spot from a QR code on my phone), and "Item was not delivered on time" is an option in the "reason for return" field. Money returned to credit card no trouble. I was returning a £460 projector I didn't like. I was somewhat scared it might disappear en-route, so I took a picture of the package with label attached in the Royal Mail office, idk if that would have been any help thankfully didn't need to find out!

You've probably ordered from Currys already by now if you were going to, so whatever you decided good luck!

Thanks - yeah I'm comfortable returning stuff to amazon but then I'd be stuck with a curry's version and if anything need repair etc they've been a PITA for me in the past. And by the time I got home I only had 5-10pm delivery slots for £10

I'll call amazon this morning to see if they found it and then check around again

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
People weren't kidding about it being very front heavy. I thought it wouldn't bother me since I thought the original Vive was fine but it's uncomfortably front heavy. I'll have to find some solution.

The tracking on the device seems decent enough even though it did convince me that I should stick with tracking using base stations for PCVR. As a portable device it's great and I can't wait for mobile chips to even more powerful.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody having audio buzzing, right side specifically? It's a buzz/crackle that comes and goes. Outside of that, I think the built in sound is excellent, at least directionally.... audio from behind, front, sides, all very distinguishable. Response range isn't fantastic but that was expected, and is certainly serviceable.

Yes! I had it too once after playing Vader Immortal. I restarted the headset and it's gone since.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hey all, my name is 'beermonkey'. Couldn't get it to match exactly my most common names online because somebody took 'Beer Monkey'.

I'm not super active into hanging out online at the moment but leaderboards are still cool, and at some point I do think I'll do more social stuff, really.

There should probably be a gaming hangout thread to canonize where connections and plans are made...

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Holy shit, y'all have really not used this device properly if you're sticking to primarily stationary games.

First off, Vader Immortal had me all sorts of emotional and blown away. One of the best VR games of all time, not even a question. Once I beat the episode though, I decided to move onto Apex Construct and Journey of the Gods and that experience may be one of the best I have ever had in video games.

Despite having the Rift and PSVR for almost three years now, I have never gotten Apex Construct. For some reason, I had always been under the impression that it was some sort of bow and arrow wave shooter and, despite enjoying VR wave shooters more than most, the bow and arrow really turned me off simply because the PSVR never handled that well tracking wise and I was always busy playing Beat Saber, Onward and Pavlov on the Rift to give anything else the time of day. Let me tell you - I am so glad that I waited. Apex Construct, despite having some unfortunate performance issues and a bizarre collision problem that indicates that the development team likely didn't have six foot, two inch tall players with wide wingspans as play testers, was revelatory. While in reality I was standing in my living room, I have never (even after hundreds of hours in VR) felt so immersed in a game world before and believe me when I say that my living room felt a world away. Turning 360 degrees, reaching down to pick items off of the floor and literally dropping to the floor and onto my knees to stabilize a long range shot was so insanely surreal that there was simply no question to my mind that I was actually inhabiting the world of Apex Construct. It wasn't until my left earphone fell out of my ear after a particularly strenuous spin move that I performed that I was able ground myself into reality again. I felt so unbelievably convinced of the world around me and it was Apex Construct's breadth of interactive objects that only helped sell that illusion so well.

Pressing forward, I decided to try out Journey of the Gods before my headset (now at 36%) died and what I found was a similarly immersive and utterly delightful game that feels like a classic Zelda sans dungeons, at least so far. The art style and character design is on an entirely different level than most games available on the Quest right now and the image quality is downright pristine because of it. The combat, while incredibly simplistic, evokes the feeling of wooden swords and shields that you and your friends swung at one another as children, only now, there's real damage to be done and your friends are bizarre purple slug monsters spitting out pink orbs of death at your discount Hylian shield. While the early sequence that I played was almost entirely linear, there is a profound sense of scope as you look out at the expansive forest before you and soak it all in. This sense of scale is punctuated as you shift to your "god form" and overlook the world in a tabletop fashion. The most profound feeling though was the sense of adventure. Once again, despite standing in the comfort of my home, it quite honestly felt like I was embarking on a fantastical adventure and while that sort of immersion was always the sales pitch of VR, it was the untethered nature of the headset, crystal clear display and near flawless tracking that truly help that potential materialize for the first time. As I hacked and slashed through purple crystals and explored small nooks and crannies in hopes of finding "sword shards" to upgrade my weapon, there was no barrier between myself and the game world - everything was tracked 1-to-1, the visuals were crisp, the audio (with headphones to circumvent the system's shoddy built-in speakers) was convincing and perfectly mixed and the sensation of physically walking in the real world and having that movement translate perfectly into movement in the game world was downright awe inspiring.

This post isn't even meant to shill specifically for these games (though they both have my whole hearted and emphatic recommendation), I'm hoping to convince others to try games that don't primarily fix you to a singular location and watch as the Quest becomes, in my opinion anyway, the best VR device and one of the best pieces of gaming hardware ever released. The sense of presence and immersion in the game's world is something that first generation VR, for all of its strengths, simply never reached even with ideal set-ups that enabled accurate tracking and a wide play space. There is simply no replacement for a wireless headset with nearly flawless tracking and fantastic games that are incredibly immersive and envelop you in their world. When people have talked about the Quest, they have typically referred to the consumer adoption and sales figures as the metric for its (and subsequently VR's) success. The experiences that I have had on the Quest today have shown me that the sales figures are not the key factor at play here that define the headset as a success, rather, it's the fact that the Quest is the VR headset that people have been dreaming of for decades and one of the best and most immersive gaming platforms ever released.

Feb 15, 2018
Concerned by the comments around the guardian popping up a lot if you are in a limited space. i have a room space of 6'6" x 7'. Does this mean i will see that mesh frequently when extending my arms? I watched the UploadVR stream and it seemed to happen A LOT, especially with Beat Saber. I suppose i could include my sofa inside the guardian boundary (as i would be unlikely to punch it, just perhaps fall over it). That would buy me another 18" i guess.

My house is so small i think i have to resign myself to the fact that it does not really allow for roomscale. Perhaps i should just stick with my PSVR. Shame if this is the case, as i woud really love a system that tracks properly. I had a great hour with Shooty Fruity on PSVR, then it just completely shat itself for no reason whatsoever.

I dont mind spending £400 to get a good solution to this, but not at the expense of another problem that will simply never go away.

deejay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My first VR set and I'm impressed, it's so cool and magical! The headset does weigh a bit heavy and the image is a bit blurry anywhere but the center. Is this how it's supposed to be? I slided the button on the bottom to both sides, but the image still remains pretty blurry (again, except for the center).

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My first VR set and I'm impressed, it's so cool and magical! The headset does weigh a bit heavy and the image is a bit blurry anywhere but the center. Is this how it's supposed to be? I slided the button on the bottom to both sides, but the image still remains pretty blurry (again, except for the center).

Possibly your headset is sitting to low on your face.

It's not one size fits all. The nose area sits really high on my face to get a good image, which is why I'm hoping for third party face moulds.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
options for the impatient idiot:
1) wait with fingers crossed that amazon deliver today and haven't actually lost the package
2) order 64GB from Currys and pick up tomorrow after 5pm near my office.
3) Order 128GB from Argos and pick up today after work but maybe a 10min drive from the station when I get home

Had originally ordered 64GB as the 128 seems overpriced