• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
??I've already said that you can't use an headset under sunlight and that I'd like to use mine at night because it would potentially allow me to play it outdoor with 1:1 room scale. Btw I don't think the IR just helps, but that is is absolutely necessary for it to work in those conditions.
I'm asking people who have bought one or tried it, to point me to a good solution.

So defensive 🤔 And you misread my post in the first place. I buy things at launch exactly because I don't need (hell, I don't want!) a new game every other week. I own everything under the sun and I'm under a mountain high backlog as is, plus I hardly game besides Switch because I can't sit in front of a tv for hours playing, not anymore. For god's sake I was happy with WiiU's output!
So, way to be completely off the mark, mate :P I also haven't talked about sales, especially since we don't have (and probably never will, not soon anyway) any numbers, neither shipping/production numbers, so it's irrelevant and disingenuous to use FB's pr statement to measure how popular it currently is?

Way to also assume I'm living under a rock, maybe you are? Lol at measuring popularity going by the Oculus subreddit. I'm talking about mindshare, looking at the casual gaming/general population. I'm saying this device has done great but it could have done even better, much better: it could have been a first solid step into reaching massmarket wom mindshare/wish-listing if not ownership. Oculus could have rode this wave better.

They could have definitely funded more projects, more ports, day 1 Oculus Go full compatibility, set up more VR stations at malls and such, included an optional carrying case. Right now the vast majority of people who could be potentially interested in VR (I'm not talking less developed Countries obviously) have never even tried it.
Because it was historically difficult and cumbersome. Quest can be the winning trojan horse. Because it demolished those barriers of entry, it's all in one and easy as hell and QUICK to set-up... wherever you are and wherever you are going.
So what is that it needs? More reasons for owners to check the device's store often, thus not "forgetting" about their OC or having it "gathering dust" (ugh) to carry theirs around to a friend's house, at a party, or to hype it up at the water cooler because they've tried some new cool shit on the weekend.

Eh your post reads a touch more defensive m8. My post was fairly non confrontational and straight forward, just because someone disagrees with your assertion doesn't mean they're being defensive, this is a discussion board people are going to disagree with your points from time to time :)

So you think Zuck's earnings call report isn't indicative of good growth, do you think he's lying to his shareholders then? Seems needlessly skeptical considering the context. I'm not sure what proof you're looking for of it gaining traction beyond seeing randos stumbling around in public wearing them xD

Also this hasn't even been out six months, seems a bit premature to throw around some armchair "this isn't doing well cause I'm not seein it" anecdotes. Plus as the poster I responded to pointed out launch windows like this are completely typical for even the largest platforms in terms of a dearth of software availability. Considering FB and Oculus Studio's size in terms of active game dev teams I'd say they'd done a pretty good job curating what's already available, and if you'd taken the time to look at sites like uploadVR or the Quest subreddit regularly you'd notice there's new content being released or announced almost weekly. Your expectations, or rather your perception of the perceived success or lack thereof of the Quest as is are unreasonable for a new product like this this early in the launch window. Try a little more optimism and patience ;)

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Ok I see where this (keeps) going, I'm not going to engage further if we can't have an honest discussion; you keep twisting my words and straight up putting yours in my mouth. Thanks, but no thanks.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Let's change the subject. Has anyone tried Half Life on Quest yet. I love the game but I'm scared to try it on the Quest. I can just see it making me sick right away.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
Supposedly some fuckery is happening when you turn your head, which makes you sick. The author is gathering feedback and will be implementing fixes. I'm planning to wait on a more mature version.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
Anyone have experience with Box VR. Before or after the tracking update?
I've played it a lot before and after the update.

After the update, gloves don't lose tracking when you block in front of your face. I've had tracking mess up a couple of times when doing wide hooks, but I'd say that happens 1-2 times a play session at most and doesn't impact my game at all. I play BoxVR as a workout, so getting a perfect combo during a 30 minute class isn't necessary for my enjoyment :D

In general, I think BoxVR is awesome as an exercise tool, but I wouldn't play it as a pure rhythm game.

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
I've played it a lot before and after the update.

After the update, gloves don't lose tracking when you block in front of your face. I've had tracking mess up a couple of times when doing wide hooks, but I'd say that happens 1-2 times a play session at most and doesn't impact my game at all. I play BoxVR as a workout, so getting a perfect combo during a 30 minute class isn't necessary for my enjoyment :D

In general, I think BoxVR is awesome as an exercise tool, but I wouldn't play it as a pure rhythm game.

Great! I'm gonna give it a try, thank you!

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
I'd like to get something like BoxVR, but I'm wary about getting the headset all sweaty. Is that faceplate foam/fabric washable?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washable, I dunno. But it is replaceable.

I picked up a VR Cover facial interface for that reason.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to get something like BoxVR, but I'm wary about getting the headset all sweaty. Is that faceplate foam/fabric washable?
No, but you can get a washable VRCover to go over it or get a spare facial interface. I have a separate one reserved for workouts.

Unrelated question:
How's the streaming situation these days? I have a Vive attached to a PC which I can obviously only use in that room. If I could reliably play the same games on my Quest in a different room, I could make better use of the PC room.

Last edited:

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Puzzle game Red Matter coming out on 8/15, visuals look quite nice for a Quest title (or rather a port), dev even has a sizzle reel showing off what they were able to pull off on it using UE4:

Full trailer:

Last edited:

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
I'm trying to figure out what software/apps are the best to showcase the Quest to my friends and family. Anyone have any good recs? Thanks!! :)

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
First Contat.

I was sure Superhot will be a hit, but people I showed it to got scared of the red guys attacking them :D

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
First Contat.

I was sure Superhot will be a hit, but people I showed it to got scared of the red guys attacking them :D
First Contact is great but I think First Steps is much better for introducing someone to VR, especially if they are a non-gamer. First Steps teaches them how to use the controllers and it has the dancing robot which people (especially girls) seem to love.

I keep First Contact on my Quest though for gamer friends who I can explain the controllers too easily and who just need a quick tutorial before jumping in to Superhot.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First Contact is great but I think First Steps is much better for introducing someone to VR, especially if they are a non-gamer. First Steps teaches them how to use the controllers and it has the dancing robot which people (especially girls) seem to love.

I keep First Contact on my Quest though for gamer friends who I can explain the controllers too easily and who just need a quick tutorial before jumping in to Superhot.

I actually meant First Contact, but First Steps is indeed a nice introduction to the idea. My family and friends were just delighted by being able to play with various objects.

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried playing Tetris Effect via Virtual Desktop yet?

I have. It works pretty well, though I was getting some artifacting when some of the big effects happen. But the second time I played I didn't notice any, and I'm running off a wireless connection too so if you're wired it should be good.

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
Got my Quest, have a few questions
Bought a Chromecast 3rd gen but the streaming is pretty terrible, should I try to return it to get an ultra? Is there any difference between the streaming latency?
How do I skip all the beginning stuff in first steps and jump to the mini-games?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Got my Quest, have a few questions
Bought a Chromecast 3rd gen but the streaming is pretty terrible, should I try to return it to get an ultra? Is there any difference between the streaming latency?
How do I skip all the beginning stuff in first steps and jump to the mini-games?
question 1. are both your quest and chromecast using 5.0 frequency?
if not fix that.
if your router doesn't support that you will need a new one.

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
Yea both are on 5ghz WiFi
I might try another router anyway just to see. Since it refused to work with my Chromecast 2.0 I had to buy a new 3.0 so now I was thinking that maybe 3.0 is just the minimum and ultra is needed to actually get decent performance.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
I am 95% certain that crappy streaming quality is not fault of Chromecast but a fault of Quest. But I hope someone can make a comparison and prove or disprove it.

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I am 95% certain that crappy streaming quality is not fault of Chromecast but a fault of Quest. But I hope someone can make a comparison and prove or disprove it.
I think you are right but only based on the fact that streaming directly from the Quest to my phone is also crappy.

It's frustrating. I'd be perfectly fine with 24 Hz and lower resolution if it would get rid of the lag and choppiness. I don't know what update rate and resolution they currently try to put out though. There should at least be the option to adjust settings.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
Tea for God is the seed from which a mighty dungeon crawler will one day grow. Being able to walk through the entirety of your game experience in spite of the size of your play space is remarkable, and it's the kind of creative thinking that makes following the development of VR one of the most interesting things happening in games these days. I can't wait to see this put to use in a full-fledged game.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
I'm really enjoying Ninja Legends - it's a wave-based melee brawler that has some great atmosphere and feels like a 1991 dream come to life. There are some rough edges (the tutorial voice acting is painful), but the best part of it for me are the different weapon unlocks.

it's a bo staff that is positioned in between your two controllers so you can spin it around and feel like Bruce Lee / Donatello - it's my favorite Quest interaction since dancing with the First Steps robot!
Game has been worth it just for that weapon :D

I'm on level 8 I think, after about an hour of play - I believe I read there are ~18 levels. I haven't unlocked any new modes, etc, so I'm not sure about longevity, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the other weapons and super attacks.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Is Pinball FX2 VR just the GEAR VR version?
God I wish they'd bring over the Williams tables, fantasy pinball ain't my thing honestly

Also, how do I go back to play A/B/etc Disk levels on SUPERHOT?
The set-up to show it off to friends ain't that user friendly I think, am I (probably) missing something?

Last but not least, seriously there's nobody here who has bought some IR light(s?) to play at night outside?

No, but you can get a washable VRCover to go over it or get a spare facial interface. I have a separate one reserved for workouts.

did you grab your from Amazon? I'm looking to get one for the same reason (light workout for when I can't go out) but I dunno which one. If provided by Amazon it'd be best coz I know I can get it shipped over here (Canary Islands)

Last edited:

SimonChris

Oct 27, 2017
Also, how do I go back to play A/B/etc Disk levels on SUPERHOT?
The set-up to show it off to friends ain't that user friendly I think, am I (probably) missing something?

After you finish the Campaign, there will be a disk labelled "Guest" somewhere close to the door. Inserting that into the computer reruns the campaign from the start, with the option to jump back out at any time.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
After you finish the Campaign, there will be a disk labelled "Guest" somewhere close to the door. Inserting that into the computer reruns the campaign from the start, with the option to jump back out at any time.

Oh gotcha! I guess I need to move my ass and finally beat it but I'm always wasting time retrying sections to "perfect" them as much as I can lol
Thanks.

I wish there was a way to move time forward pushing a button or something, waiving my arm just so the action moves forward always takes me out it :(

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
did you grab your from Amazon? I'm looking to get one for the same reason (light workout for when I can't go out) but I dunno which one. If provided by Amazon it'd be best coz I know I can get it shipped over here (Canary Islands)
Nah, they weren't yet on amazon when. I got mine. If they have them now, that's probably your better option.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
Is Pinball FX2 VR just the GEAR VR version?
God I wish they'd bring over the Williams tables, fantasy pinball ain't my thing honestly

It's the same as the Rift / Go one, with the Knight table, underwater table, and mars table included, and others you can purchase (universal studios pack & Walking Dead & others) - I don't think Williams tables or other real-life tables are represented though. I definitely hope they bring over more tables!

That said, Pinball FX2 VR on Quest is really awesome - finally get to lean in and see the detail on the tables that was impossible with the Go version. Would love to try a cost-effective physical pin-sim as a control.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Nah, they weren't yet on amazon when. I got mine. If they have them now, that's probably your better option.

Gotcha. Do you happen to have a brand's name I can look for?

It's the same as the Rift / Go one, with the Knight table, underwater table, and mars table included, and others you can purchase (universal studios pack & Walking Dead & others) - I don't think Williams tables or other real-life tables are represented though. I definitely hope they bring over more tables!

That said, Pinball FX2 VR on Quest is really awesome - finally get to lean in and see the detail on the tables that was impossible with the Go version. Would love to try a cost-effective physical pin-sim as a control.

I'll buy it regardless because VR Pinball is the next best thing and is awesome, but I was mentioning the Bally/Williams tables because they've finally grabbed the license (before licensed to Farsight Studios' PINBALL ARCADE) and have so far released 12 tables (4 packs) for PINBALL FX3.
The one coming to Quest, however, is PFX2 which uses much more "floaty" ball physics... too bad because PFX3 Williams' physics are fantastic and everyone's happy since you can play them with Zen's "floaty" arcade physics, or with the new arcade
sim physics or even with the sim physics in tournament mode which will make it play really close to a real table, difficulty included! You can do so many real life flippers' tricks and spins that are simply impossible to pull of on PFX2. Also the real tables are (arguably) a 100 times better designed than whatever fantasy table they've come up with :P

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Damn I'm forced to hook up headphones everytime I want to get some serious time with my Quest because its sound system's volume is SO.DAMN.LOW. I swear that it's sounding weaker than it was at the beginning.
I mean, the first 4 or 5 ||||| steps are equal to a 0 setting, totally silent when in system's settings (it should beep at every | step). That can't be normal...

That looks great, thanks!

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I'm forced to hook up headphones everytime I want to get some serious time with my Quest because its sound system's volume is SO.DAMN.LOW. I swear that it's sounding weaker than it was at the beginning.
I mean, the first 4 or 5 ||||| steps are equal to a 0 setting, totally silent when in system's settings (it should beep at every | step). That can't be normal...
No, it's certainly not.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Tea for God is the seed from which a mighty dungeon crawler will one day grow. Being able to walk through the entirety of your game experience in spite of the size of your play space is remarkable, and it's the kind of creative thinking that makes following the development of VR one of the most interesting things happening in games these days. I can't wait to see this put to use in a full-fledged game.
Definitely agree. Everytime i play it I keep thinking of how awesome an actual funded Dungeon Crawler with an objective would be.
Also, as i'm starting to lose hope that Star Trek: Bridge Crew will EVER come to Quest due to the developers abandoning it, I'd kill for a game like it...

and a good cooking game. Dead Hungry was probably my favorite PSVR game. Can't believe my only option right now is Job Simulator. I'd love a complete restaurant sim.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't booted mine up for a bit. What's the best streaming solution currently? ALVR or Virtual Desktop?

Virtual Desktop for sure, it's a lot more stable and I've been able to push higher clarity on VD without sacrificing performance. With ALVR I'd tend to get bad artifacting now and again whenever I'd move the camera be it from something like Trover or from head tracking. Haven't noticed any visual corruption like that over VD. So yeah, use that :)

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
I remember checking my smartband walked like 2 km without triggering the guardian system, astounding.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here using SideQuest? I just installed it for the first time and I'm confused.

Every guide or video I've seen shows that it has sections for Android apps and other stuff. These are obviously based on different versions (although some are quite recent), but the one I have only has 'Apps', 'Games' and 'Mods'.

So I guess I'm using a newer version, but have they really just stripped out that functionality?

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Pinball FX 2 VR has been ported brilliantly. You can see the foveated rendering but it's not as extreme as say Vader Immortal. Played a few tables and none had performance issues. Leader boards are shared with the Oculus Rift version. I'm not sure if DLC is. I was able to download the Wild West table without paying for it, which presumably means DLC is cross buy but I don't know.

Only other criticism I can level at is right now is that the menus are all stick driven, and you can't manually pull the plunger on the table (which would be a neat bonus). Might be a game to play using a pad but options for these other things would be nice.

I happily bought all the DLC and I will be playing this a lot. I loved this on Rift and PSVR, and this version is (mainly thanks to tracking) definitely one you'd want to play on Quest over PSVR.

Edit: yeah the DLC is cross buy between the Quest and Rift versions even though the base game isn't same as Beat Saber. You get three tables in the base price and then can buy other tables. That's somewhat pricey per table, but since I'd already bought most of the DLC on PC I had everything other than The Walking Dead and the Universal tables.

Last edited:

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
I happily bought all the DLC and I will be playing this a lot. I loved this on Rift and PSVR, and this version is (mainly thanks to tracking) definitely one you'd want to play on Quest over PSVR.

Which DLC pack / tables would you recommend as a first step beyond the three basic ones?

I'm with you on pulling the plunger - I wish they took the extra step to incorporate physical touch controller interactions. Otherwise, awesome pinball in VR :D

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Which DLC pack / tables would you recommend as a first step beyond the three basic ones?

I'm with you on pulling the plunger - I wish they took the extra step to incorporate physical touch controller interactions. Otherwise, awesome pinball in VR :D
Whichever is the best value. I don't seem to be able to look at prices now that I bought it all.

My favorite tables are secrets of the deep, paranormal, Mars, and the wild west themed one. I haven't tried the Universal ones before, and I've only played the back to the future one so far but it seemed good. Really hurts that they didn't license the music, but that's been the case for every version of those tables zen have put out.

The stuff swimming around the underwater one and leaning forwards to the upper playfield, the stuff flying around the Mars one and the playfield built into the back glass of the paranormal one really make those tables sing in VR.