• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
I have that Cable Creations extender. The problem is that the cable is quite thick and rigid and the connector is big and heavy. But it works.

Coverly

Oct 28, 2017
I have that Cable Creations extender. The problem is that the cable is quite thick and rigid and the connector is big and heavy. But it works.

Thanks for that. I don't mind the heaviness. In my living room there are some hooks on the ceiling (probably the previous owner hanged some plants?) that i'm planning to run the cable through, so that it hangs down just enough to move in my area comfortably. Or at least that's the plan.

Aside from that The Under Presents is just amazing. It's hard to describe and I've been trying to recommend it to anyone I know that will listen lol.
That and Pistol Whip.

OrbusVr keeps crashing on me though, I'm going to wait a few months and see if they solve the problem.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The extender is useful for getting the signal to your play area from the computer. It will be perfect paired with the 16 foot fiber cable.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
I completed the set up on my Quest this morning, and a couple of hours ago I received an email that some apps that I've previously bought on Gear VR are actually available for download for free on the store. Is this something new or has this happened to anyone before?

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone speak to the long-term effect of getting the headset cushion sweaty af?

I decided to buy this just as summer is rolling around here in Australia and I just wrapped up a session of Beat Saber absolutely soaking the foam.

Is it designed at least a little bit to deal with sweat?

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My quest arrives in a week ,any prep I can start now so as soon as I get it I can start playing around ?I did make an account and downloaded the app

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
My quest arrives in a week ,any prep I can start now so as soon as I get it I can start playing around ?I did make an account and downloaded the app
not really much you can do right now to help with native games. If you have the oculus pc app and are going to be using a link you could buy and download the games now through the app.

otherwise just wait. get the device. spend 5 minutes setting it up the first time. buy a game you want, wait 5 minutes for it to download and play :P

though if you don't have a play area of at least 6.5'x6.5' see if you can make one :P

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Hey guys, been enjoying my quest for a Week now. I'm having a fucking blast. Oculus Link worked in one shot using the proposed Anker cable.

However, my setup doesn't allow me to really play in the room where my computer is so I would need to have a setup with an extender. I bought a USB3 extender cable but it didn't work with the one I tried. Before I go on the hunt for a new one, did anyone here try any extension cables that worked with Oculus Link?

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
Tried a few games, just bought the Quest.
Robo Recall is pretty intense, and really cool to play. Lots of possibilities, it's a blast.
Vader is more of an upgraded experience than a real game for now, but very immersive and well done (dat Vader walk in Episode 1)
Drop Dead Dual Strike is pretty basic, but fun for now. House Of The Dead VR to sum up.

The QOL and ease to use the headset are absolutely amazing coming from PSVR.
Can't wait to dive more and check new games (Beat Saber, The Climb, etc...). Might re-buy some PSVR games just because (I Expect You to Die, Keep Talking, Arizona, etc... )

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
To everyone with Vader Immortal - make sure to try the Dojo's. It's where the real fun is, especially the third one. They do get harder and more insane with each episode so try them in order. Episode 3 will likely remain permanently installed on my Quest so I can come back to its dojo from time to time.

KyleH

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Any advice for getting a Quest - I went to pick one up but it seems to be sold out everywhere or shipping at the end of the month - would like to get one before the 25th. I'm in NYC area btw.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, been enjoying my quest for a Week now. I'm having a fucking blast. Oculus Link worked in one shot using the proposed Anker cable.

However, my setup doesn't allow me to really play in the room where my computer is so I would need to have a setup with an extender. I bought a USB3 extender cable but it didn't work with the one I tried. Before I go on the hunt for a new one, did anyone here try any extension cables that worked with Oculus Link?
Yup. Here's my post on the last page
At that length you'll need an active USB extension cable and USB-C cable. After my extension and cable I'm at 26 ft which is more than I could possibly need.

JOTO USB Type C Cable Extra Long... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017COHTJ6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

CableCreation Active USB... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0179MXKU8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Been using these with no issues at all.

Any advice for getting a Quest - I went to pick one up but it seems to be sold out everywhere or shipping at the end of the month - would like to get one before the 25th. I'm in NYC area btw.
Not NYC (Chicago) but they were sold out everywhere but GameStop near me. Ended up buying it from there. But my Best Buy did have a couple 128gbs in stock, just no 64gb models

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
I got a random credit voucher for £4 a few days after getting a refund for Beat Saber, since I had to return my new Oculus Quest to Amazon because of a broken speaker. Was that part of a wider campaign, or just a one-off thing?

I rebought Beat Saber using the voucher, since I'll be getting an Oculus Quest again early next year. Having to send back the damn thing, managing work and a relocation abroad just makes me too tired to manage buying a replacement straight away.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
sadly even the official site just says ships by December 31st.
half life alyx got a lot of people to pay attention to VR.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
sadly even the official site just says ships by December 31st.
half life alyx got a lot of people to pay attention to VR.

I would argue the constant barrage of tv ads (during live sporting events), being on every tech Holiday buying guide, and the amazing word of mouth/demos is what did it. HL:A certainly didn't hurt the cause, but Quest had all the makings of selling out regardless. It's the perfect ingredients for being a holiday hit.

I wonder how many units Facebook actually manufactured. It was already exceeding their expectations, so I would assume they planned for success and stockpiled a nice amount or else they wouldn't have done the amount of advertising they did.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I would argue the constant barrage of tv ads (during live sporting events), being on every tech Holiday buying guide, and the amazing word of mouth/demos is what did it. HL:A certainly didn't hurt the cause, but Quest had all the makings of selling out regardless. It's the perfect ingredients for being a holiday hit.

I wonder how many units Facebook actually manufactured. It was already exceeding their expectations, so I would assume they planned for success and stockpiled a nice amount or else they wouldn't have done the amount of advertising they did.
I never have any clue on ads. I only see ads when I'm watching stuff on Hulu or the CW app and they tend to be the same 10 ads lol.

I do know my cousins are getting a quest after I introduced my mom to it and she got one herself :P

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I never have any clue on ads. I only see ads when I'm watching stuff on Hulu or the CW app and they tend to be the same 10 ads lol.

I do know my cousins are getting a quest after I introduced my mom to it and she got one herself :P

Yeah. They've really been ramping up of late. Weirdly enough, the first Quest ad I ever saw (during an NFL game) was just after it was announced that Echo Arena had slipped into 2020. And it was an ad for Echo Arena/Quest. It seems pretty obvious, in hindsight, that they thought Echo Arena was going to be out by now.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
The creator of virtual desktop is a mad wizard. I had a five dollar credit on the oculus store so I decided to grab virtual desktop to see if it's worth it. I set up the newest version and turned on sliced renderering. I played thumper for a few in my living room and it ran just as good as using the Oculus link cable. I had perfect accuracy and I didn't notice any hiccups. It's nice to have so many options of using this machine.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Prices are definitely getting pretty crazy right now. A bunch of new 64GB models have just sold for 700 dollars on ebay.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
So I am very interested in the hand tracking, but I won't get a chance to try it out on my own headset for a bit. Are there any standout early apps/demos that do a good job showing off the feature?

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
So I am very interested in the hand tracking, but I won't get a chance to try it out on my own headset for a bit. Are there any standout early apps/demos that do a good job showing off the feature?
I think it's just supported by the menu and browser at the moment. I'm still waiting for the update to try it out myself. There was a demo app that they had when hand tracking was first announced. I expect that will come out over the next month, but it will take time for other existing apps to use hand tracking as the SDK gets released next week. It will be even longer for brand new apps that use hand tracking.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
The creator of virtual desktop is a mad wizard. I had a five dollar credit on the oculus store so I decided to grab virtual desktop to see if it's worth it. I set up the newest version and turned on sliced renderering. I played thumper for a few in my living room and it ran just as good as using the Oculus link cable. I had perfect accuracy and I didn't notice any hiccups. It's nice to have so many options of using this machine.
Ugh this makes me want to get it. Tried ALVR and was underwhelmed, but my desktop is also connected via 5ghz wifi until my 50ft ethernet cable comes tomorrow.

Have you tried ALVR yet? Notice any difference between the two? If Virtual Desktop is noticeably better I may just get it. For games like Budget Cuts or anything that isn't twitch.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Ugh this makes me want to get it. Tried ALVR and was underwhelmed, but my desktop is also connected via 5ghz wifi until my 50ft ethernet cable comes tomorrow.

Have you tried ALVR yet? Notice any difference between the two? If Virtual Desktop is noticeably better I may just get it. For games like Budget Cuts or anything that isn't twitch.

I have not tried alvr yet. I see people saying it runs good even in rhythm games and stuff such as Pavlov VR. The new update made the latency much better and if your video card supports spliced rendering, it can be even better. I am curious if the creator can make it even better.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I think it's just supported by the menu and browser at the moment. I'm still waiting for the update to try it out myself. There was a demo app that they had when hand tracking was first announced. I expect that will come out over the next month, but it will take time for other existing apps to use hand tracking as the SDK gets released next week. It will be even longer for brand new apps that use hand tracking.

Maybe by the time I get around to playing it that demo app will be out.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe by the time I get around to playing it that demo app will be out.

Honestly, I'm probably more interested in the new resolution options that are available with Link. No real impressions from anyone (other than confirming they do exist with this update). Come on people, if you're the chosen ones, post some impressions:)

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Honestly, I'm probably more interested in the new resolution options that are available with Link. No real impressions from anyone (other than confirming they do exist with this update). Come on people, if you're the chosen ones, post some impressions:)

I'm interested in this too. I'm typically a Mac guy and still do not have a PC for VR, but I'm planning on getting something for HL: Alyx next year.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Went to use Link and got the message in Oculus desktop app I need to update but it hasn't rolled out to me yet. Feels like you should still be able to use the previous version until your headset gets the new one, though I understand tying the desktop app updates for Link to user accounts would probably be difficult. W coast US here btw.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Went to use Link and got the message in Oculus desktop app I need to update but it hasn't rolled out to me yet. Feels like you should still be able to use the previous version until your headset gets the new one, though I understand tying the desktop app updates for Link to user accounts would probably be difficult. W coast US here btw.

Update roll out in general continues to be an issue with the quest. The one positive is that they have acknowledged the issue and are trying to avoid updates causing oculus link to break in the future.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Update roll out in general continues to be an issue with the quest. The one positive is that they have acknowledged the issue and are trying to avoid updates causing oculus link to break in the future.

Well that's encouraging, thanks for the info.

Also as a general question for the thread has anyone experienced big performance discrepancies between certain games on Link vs Virtual Desktop (or a dedicated pcvr headset)? I was getting horrible performance in Boneworks over Link but it runs smooth as silk on VD. Also bad stuttering in Asgard's Wrath through Link but it's way less pronounced in VD. This is not a universal thing, Blade & Sorcery, H3VR, Lone Echo, and Arizona Sunshine run flawlessly over Link for me. I read that some games just don't play as well over Link since its beta and all but thought I'd ask anyways.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Also as a general question for the thread has anyone experienced big performance discrepancies between certain games on Link vs Virtual Desktop (or a dedicated pcvr headset)? I was getting horrible performance in Boneworks over Link but it runs smooth as silk on VD. Also bad stuttering in Asgard's Wrath through Link but it's way less pronounced in VD. This is not a universal thing, Blade & Sorcery, H3VR, Lone Echo, and Arizona Sunshine run flawlessly over Link for me. I read that some games just don't play as well over Link since its beta and all but thought I'd ask anyways.

Aside from the increased lag, I definitely get worse performance in Pinball FX2 with VD. Silky smooth with Link and a trainwreck with VD. I've got a dedicated, wired AP in the Quest room too. It's not a network thing. It's just lousy performance.

That said, the blacks and colors are WAY better in VD. I'm hoping they get around to addressing the washed out issues that clearly plague Link at the moment.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from the increased lag, I definitely get worse performance in Pinball FX2 with VD. Silky smooth with Link and a trainwreck with VD. I've got a dedicated, wired AP in the Quest room too. It's not a network thing. It's just lousy performance.

That said, the blacks and colors are WAY better in VD. I'm hoping they get around to addressing the washed out issues that clearly plague Link at the moment.

Thanks for the input. On that note I think I'm gonna grab FX2 during the Steam Winter sale, I've had a bug in me to play VR pinball since playing Demon's Tilt on Game Pass, never really got into pinball before but that one hooked me, and I hear FX2 has some of the best pinball physics out there.

Are you using ReVive to play Asgard's Wrath via Virtual Desktop or is there another way now? I never got around to trying Oculus store games with VD, but last I heard, it didn't work too well.

It depends on the game but for most the performance has been good for me with Revive through VD + Quest. Granted my tolerance for latency is higher than some so ymmv, but Asgard is definitely a playable experience for me. Chronos also works well.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the game but for most the performance has been good for me with Revive through VD + Quest. Granted my tolerance for latency is higher than some so ymmv, but Asgard is definitely a playable experience for me. Chronos also works well.
Thanks - I'll give it a try then. I had thought it was a compete no-go.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the input. On that note I think I'm gonna grab FX2 during the Steam Winter sale, I've had a bug in me to play VR pinball since playing Demon's Tilt on Game Pass, never really got into pinball before but that one hooked me, and I hear FX2 has some of the best pinball physics out there.

FX3 definitely has better physics. I drool at the thought of playing those FX3 tables in VR. But whataya gonna do? You take what you can get.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I just wanted to mention for those with the quest link

I've only had good things with the link.
VD is solid as well, but it def lags slightly compared to the link in Until you fall.
Beat saber is great on the link but not great on VD
most other games I own are fine on both.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
FX3 definitely has better physics. I drool at the thought of playing those FX3 tables in VR. But whataya gonna do? You take what you can get.

Goes to show how little I know about the series, thought 2 was the latest. Seeing all those vintage tables in 3 on the Steam page and the fact they're a ton more in the base game than the second has me wondering why they didn't do VR for the latest one. I'm sure 2 is still worth it for the VR experience though.

I just wanted to mention for those with the quest link

I've only had good things with the link.
VD is solid as well, but it def lags slightly compared to the link in Until you fall.
Beat saber is great on the link but not great on VD
most other games I own are fine on both.

Thanks for the feedback. Well whatever the case is going on with my setup hopefully I see improved Link performance once the V12 update hits my headset.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Played with link today (anklet branded), only problem is sometimes the games don't show up in my library, have to physically Un and replug then they show up. Tetris effect is so sweet, love it

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Tried VD today for the first time. I'm underwhelmed compared to the link. The latency is definitely noticeable. I'm wired to my network and using a 5 GHz router. I think I'll stick with the link

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Got the new update and hand tracking seems to be pretty iffy with my hands disappearing if they're more than a foot away from my face though maybe it's due to lower lighting in my room. Will try later in a brighter room. My Link performance is now fine with Boneworks so that's a plus.

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
I sideloaded the hand tracking update and the hand tracking worked pretty much perfectly for me in my office.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Got the new update and hand tracking seems to be pretty iffy with my hands disappearing if they're more than a foot away from my face though maybe it's due to lower lighting in my room. Will try later in a brighter room. My Link performance is now fine with Boneworks so that's a plus.
Ha Ha I'm glad your link performance is better I nearly was sent to the ground when I started beat saber. I don't know why but now with movements the whole menu seems to ripple. basically as I started to hit notes everything turned super wavey which after 3 notes caused me to feel VR sickness for the first time ever in beat saber lol.

I checked the native version of quest and it was fine, so it was something with the link. I didn't restart my computer after installing the new oculus app, and I also haven't restarted since installing new nvida drivers so it easily could be either of those. Thus I will do a restart and try again tomorrow but boy was that bad lol

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I reset and tested a bit more.
Beat saber is still completely unplayable (steam VR version)
Robo Recall on my native oculus plays just fine though.
I guess until there is another update my PC version of beat saber is just gone to me. The rest of my games I can just virtual desktop and be fine (Assuming that's not broken) bit sad. but I guess that is what I get for choosing to update lol