• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
So i got one of these Power Bank...

Its 10000 mAh and also 2.4amp so its able to charge the Quest whilst its still powered and being used which is great and also fits the StudioForm's Counter Weight Wrap nicely!

The only thing i have noticed and not even sure a Power Bank can do this but once the power brick has completely charge the Quest then it powers off and it doesn't seem to trickle charge the Quest again for example when the battery drops below 100% and i have to manual press the power button for it to start charging the Quest again. Ideally you'd want the power bank to turn off when its fully charge but then power up again when it notices that the Quest isnt at full capacity rather than having to manual press the power button on the power bank to start getting it to charge the Quest once more, can a Power Bank even do this??

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I was so traumatized by the locomotion on Quake/HL1, I never got around to hooking up my Quest and downloading the updates. That new comfort mask seems to do the trick for me. Dr. Beef did well with that update. Obviously should have tried this earlier. Would have picked up the Quake games when they were on sale.

Between the official stuff and all the cool modded stuff, the Quest has quietly build a fantastic library.

But its not for purchase on Steam though, how would i go about getting it to show in SteamVR when you start up ALVR on the Quest? (ALVR only supported SteamVR frontend)

It should run SteamVR automatically (assuming you launch it in with SteamVR already started with ALVR). If you're saying ALVR can only launch games through the Steam client, just go to settings (in Steam client) and "Add non-Steam game to library"? It should be a simple procedure to add the .exe into your client.

Nope, definitely a Quest. Barely used and as new according to the listing. I was surprised at the price myself.

You piqued my curiosity. It certainly looks legit. No obvious shenanigans with wording. What's bizarre, is if you look at their feedback (4), one of the transactions is buying a brand new 128GB Quest. Maybe they're such a noob, they didn't know how to use search and didn't realize what they were selling for.

Last edited:

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
Just to confirm that my computer isn't the problem, you cannot connect your PC to the Quest for Sidequest activation with the included cable? I definitely have to buy my own? I've just spent a bunch on the Quest and a ton of games (Pistol Whip is phenomenal), so I'm not really looking to spend any more money at the moment, otherwise I'd buy the Link cable. I'm just not ready to drop another $80 on this thing yet.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Just to confirm that my computer isn't the problem, you cannot connect your PC to the Quest for Sidequest activation with the included cable? I definitely have to buy my own? I've just spent a bunch on the Quest and a ton of games (Pistol Whip is phenomenal), so I'm not really looking to spend any more money at the moment, otherwise I'd buy the Link cable. I'm just not ready to drop another $80 on this thing yet.
I haven't tried, but the provided link should work for sidequest. (you have to make sure to turn your quest into developer mode for it to connect though) beyond that any modern smart phone that uses usb-c should have a cable that works with it as well.

you will need a better cable if you want to make use of the oculus link though.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm basically only using my Quest in Link mode now and I have a question...

Is there a way to

1-Make it automatically go into Link mode when you put it on (it asks me everytime so I always need to click confirm)
2-Make it stop asking me if I give it permission to access the Data everytime I turn it on... Seems to be because it's plugged into my PC and Windows sees it as a USB HDD but I don't care! Just don't ask me!

Oct 29, 2017
I was so traumatized by the locomotion on Quake/HL1, I never got around to hooking up my Quest and downloading the updates. That new comfort mask seems to do the trick for me. Dr. Beef did well with that update. Obviously should have tried this earlier. Would have picked up the Quake games when they were on sale.

Between the official stuff and all the cool modded stuff, the Quest has quietly build a fantastic library.

It should run SteamVR automatically (assuming you launch it in with SteamVR already started with ALVR). If you're saying ALVR can only launch games through the Steam client, just go to settings (in Steam client) and "Add non-Steam game to library"? It should be a simple procedure to add the .exe into your client.

You piqued my curiosity. It certainly looks legit. No obvious shenanigans with wording. What's bizarre, is if you look at their feedback (4), one of the transactions is buying a brand new 128GB Quest. Maybe they're such a noob, they didn't know how to use search and didn't realize what they were selling for.

Just received notification and a message to say the Quest has been posted. It's all looking good so far!

medyej

Oct 26, 2017

You can definitely do Sidequest with the included charge cable. That's what I did. Make sure you put your headset into USB mode or whatever when you connect it, a prompt should come up inside the headset.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
You can definitely do Sidequest with the included charge cable. That's what I did. Make sure you put your headset into USB mode or whatever when you connect it, a prompt should come up inside the headset.

My charging cable was a nightmare. It recognized like 1 out of 10 times. I bought a replacement cable and it works 100% of the time. Same with the cable I bought for Link. I'm not saying it isn't settings (it probably is), but in my case, my computer just absolutely hated the charging cable. Maybe it was the USB-C slot I plugged it into (hope the official Quest cable doesn't hate it too. It's coming today for me).

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
My charging cable was a nightmare. It recognized like 1 out of 10 times. I bought a replacement cable and it works 100% of the time. Same with the cable I bought for Link. I'm not saying it isn't settings (it probably is), but in my case, my computer just absolutely hated the charging cable. Maybe it was the USB-C slot I plugged it into (hope the official Quest cable doesn't hate it too. It's coming today for me).

Might be a fiddly port. I used the one on my GPU.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
I haven't tried, but the provided link should work for sidequest. (you have to make sure to turn your quest into developer mode for it to connect though) beyond that any modern smart phone that uses usb-c should have a cable that works with it as well.

you will need a better cable if you want to make use of the oculus link though.
Thanks, it worked for me! I was going off the setup instructions in Sidequest which mentioned avoiding using the included cable. I had a USB A to C adapter from a Nintendo Switch bluetooth dongle, and I thought that might be the problem, but after a few reboots it finally recognized the Quest.

I'm genuinely astounded by how well Steam VR works in Virtual Desktop. I'm pretty much the ideal scenario (PC wired to router, 5ghz wifi in the same room), and I don't notice any input lag whatsoever, the only difference is that the controllers seem a tiny bit jittery when moving them around in front of my face. I don't know if I'll even need to buy the Link cable...

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, it worked for me! I was going off the setup instructions in Sidequest which mentioned avoiding using the included cable. I had a USB A to C adapter from a Nintendo Switch bluetooth dongle, and I thought that might be the problem, but after a few reboots it finally recognized the Quest.

I'm genuinely astounded by how well Steam VR works in Virtual Desktop. I'm pretty much the ideal scenario (PC wired to router, 5ghz wifi in the same room), and I don't notice any input lag whatsoever, the only difference is that the controllers seem a tiny bit jittery when moving them around in front of my face. I don't know if I'll even need to buy the Link cable...

I had the same experience with Virtual Desktop, outside of the controllers being jittery in the SteamVR staging area I could forget entirely it was wireless streaming. Granted I was standing mere feet away from my router at 5Ghz but it was still super impressive. I use a cable for Link stuff now just for simplicity but I love that the wireless is so good and it's basically just a software upgrade.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Might be a fiddly port. I used the one on my GPU.

I hope not. I guess I'll find out later today when my official Link cable works.

It'll be interesting to see if it works the next time. That was my issue with the official charging cable. It would sometimes recognize, but very rarely.

There's definitely a difference for lag sensitive games with VD. But I'd recommend VD for almost anything that's roomscale. I certainly hope to play HL: Alyx with VD over Link. Unless, of course, an official wireless solution is available by then.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Low latency reprojection is what makes Quest link so good. 48ms of latency but you don't feel it because when you move your head, the image moves with it. Virtual Desktop uses reprojection also. Most games aren't so twitch like pinball where you'll feel the input lag.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I had the same experience with Virtual Desktop, outside of the controllers being jittery in the SteamVR staging area I could forget entirely it was wireless streaming. Granted I was standing mere feet away from my router at 5Ghz but it was still super impressive. I use a cable for Link stuff now just for simplicity but I love that the wireless is so good and it's basically just a software upgrade.

I agree with virtual desktop being phenomenal, especially when near my router. I love how consistent the creator is on updating it to make it even better. Plus, he is nice and active in the discord. I setup lone echo to play through revive but I feel as if the camera might be a bit off. I need to mess around more, but wolves in the wall works fantastic which is very immersive without a cable. I've even played Rez and thumper perfectly fine in the newest virtual desktop update.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
VD is great, and it is easy to forget that you are streaming on most games.
I usually play like until you fall with VD just so there is no cable.
that being said games like Beat Saber or Audica and what not don't work great on VD because the tiny bit of lag that VD adds really screws with a rhythm game. It's possible that you could calibrate the game to help with that but I def just use the link for audica or beat saber (though obviously I just play beat saber natively a lot as well, but the PC version is easier to drop songs in and out and allows for some cooler visual effects :P)

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I bought Audica at early access crossbuy but am really holding off on the native Quest version before jumping in deep. Untethered native is a must for me with the rhythm games. Don't want the wireless lag, don't want the Link cable.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I bought Audica at early access crossbuy but am really holding off on the native Quest version before jumping in deep. Untethered native is a must for me with the rhythm games. Don't want the wireless lag, don't want the Link cable.
I wonder if the native quest version will be as easy to add custom songs....
not that I've actually found an enjoyable custom song for audica yet lol.

I'm not good enough for all the expert ones and all the ones that are below that have mostly been lies either just mapping only two notes like Devil Trigger, or just having the expert map mapped to all difficulties lol.

Oct 29, 2017
Quest arrived today, I've only had a few mins in the home screen really but I'm impressed! It's a little blurry, I've tried the slider but it doesn't seem to change much (and the numbers only seem to go between something like 58 and 64 so not much range?) but I might need to tweak something else.

No plug was included unfortunately, the seller said they used a plug that they had, so I'm having to use my Nintendo Switch cable to charge it and I've just ordered a USB C plug which will arrive tomorrow. But for £250 for a 128GB Quest, I don't think I should be too annoyed at having to spend another £14 on a plug.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Quest arrived today, I've only had a few mins in the home screen really but I'm impressed! It's a little blurry, I've tried the slider but it doesn't seem to change much (and the numbers only seem to go between something like 58 and 64 so not much range?) but I might need to tweak something else.

IPD range should go to around 72mm.

Keep experimenting with height (how high/low on your face) and up/down tilt (this is critical, even if it's less comfortable).

When my headset is dialed in for best optics it's putting more than an ideal amount of pressure on my cheekbones (tilted down a fair amount, heads are different shapes), but the softer VRCover did the trick for me.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California

No plug was included unfortunately, the seller said they used a plug that they had, so I'm having to use my Nintendo Switch cable to charge it and I've just ordered a USB C plug which will arrive tomorrow. But for £250 for a 128GB Quest, I don't think I should be too annoyed at having to spend another £14 on a plug.

If your Quest didn't have you go through the setup tutorials when you first booted it, you can find the fit / setup tutorial as well as "First Steps" (which is an awesome experience), then go to you Library and you should find them in a Tutorials section.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
The only thing holding me back from using Oculus link more is finding a good cable that has an angle USB c to plug in. I fear a straight plug might end up messing the port up. I don't feel like buying the Oculus link official cable at the most because my 16 active extension plus USB c cable runs fine. Someone recommended a USB c angle adapter but they seem to have quality control issues.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
The only thing holding me back from using Oculus link more is finding a good cable that has an angle USB c to plug in. I fear a straight plug might end up messing the port up. I don't feel like buying the Oculus link official cable at the most because my 16 active extension plus USB c cable runs fine. Someone recommended a USB c angle adapter but they seem to have quality control issues.

No idea where you are based but I got this:

Works perfectly for me, I am using the Anker cable that was originally recommended by oculus.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Jeez. My UPS Link delivery is going crazy too. Supposed to come today, but I've got live tracking and it must be their first day ever delivering. I've never seen such a crazy delivery pattern. Truck's been in the general neighborhood since this morning it's not delivering anything in order. Just going all over the place like a crazy rat stuck in a maze.

IPD range should go to around 72mm.

Keep experimenting with height (how high/low on your face) and up/down tilt (this is critical, even if it's less comfortable).

When my headset is dialed in for best optics it's putting more than an ideal amount of pressure on my cheekbones (tilted down a fair amount, heads are different shapes), but the softer VRCover did the trick for me.

I think these numbers are borked. Besides randomly appearing on my screen for no reason, it likes to tell me I'm somewhere between 69 and 71. My IPD slider is almost dead center. It needs some work IMO.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think these numbers are borked. Besides randomly appearing on my screen for no reason, it likes to tell me I'm somewhere between 69 and 71. My IPD slider is almost dead center. It needs some work IMO.

This is around 68mm on mine. It has not had any notable drift over time, either.

KWDzq1A.jpg

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
This is around 68mm on mine. It has not had any notable drift over time, either.

KWDzq1A.jpg

Mines just broken. I noticed on Reddit there were some others. Like if I touch my Quest's bottom, it'll appear for no reason. I just wish I could turn it off. People wanted this forever, but I wish I could just disable it. It's wrong and I don't care (other than the random appearance for no reason).

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
No idea where you are based but I got this:

Works perfectly for me, I am using the Anker cable that was originally recommended by oculus.

Thanks! I grabbed that. It should be here Thursday, along with the other pieces I need for my new ryzen 3600 build. I have a 16 ft active extension and a 3 ft cable I had sitting around for transferring data which works pretty good. If I decide to buy the kiwi pulley system, I might need to grab that 10ft Anker cable for extra length.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Mines just broken. I noticed on Reddit there were some others. Like if I touch my Quest's bottom, it'll appear for no reason. I just wish I could turn it off. People wanted this forever, but I wish I could just disable it. It's wrong and I don't care (other than the random appearance for no reason).

Ugh, that sucks. They should let you turn it off.

FWIW mine ranges from 59 in the center to 71 on the outside.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, that sucks. They should let you turn it off.

FWIW mine ranges from 59 in the center to 71 on the outside.

I just moved mine around. It goes from 60 to 71. Who knows, maybe that'll fix the issue. I never touched the slider (since this update), because I had it perfect. Maybe I should have tried that. Hmm.

EDIT: That didn't change anything. If anything, it's more obnoxious:(

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Did any of you guys use Link last night?

My cable arrived and seems to work on a technical level, but the whole thing was an unplayable mess (PCVR is great at wasting an hour of time accomplishing nothing).

I'm being centered by the ceiling in Home. I'm WAY too high. I tried recentering, but it wasn't doing anything. I tried going into settings and went to adjust Guardian, but that just kicked me out to the Quest Guardian where I was properly situated on the ground (and forced me to unplug my cable to get Home to send signals to it again).

I noticed in my updates that I received an update to the Oculus client yesterday. Is it possible this update broke things? The games are all unplayable since I'm way too high and I can't recenter myself back to the ground.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

My cable arrived and seems to work on a technical level, but the whole thing was an unplayable mess (PCVR is great at wasting an hour of time accomplishing nothing).

I'm being centered by the ceiling in Home. I'm WAY too high. I tried recentering, but it wasn't doing anything. I tried going into settings and went to adjust Guardian, but that just kicked me out to the Quest Guardian where I was properly situated on the ground (and forced me to unplug my cable to get Home to send signals to it again).

I noticed in my updates that I received an update to the Oculus client yesterday. Is it possible this update broke things? The games are all unplayable since I'm way too high and I can't recenter myself back to the ground.
This happened to me once, but rebooting everything (PC and headset) cleared it.

I didn't use it last night.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Just tested today. I had to step out of the beta branch because it's now too far ahead of my 12.0 headset before I could use link, but once I did that, I had no issues.

Hmm. I didn't think I was in the beta and I'm not seeing any rollback options. Did you roll back from 12.1 to 12? My software was updated to 12.1, but my Quest is only 12.

At the risk of bitching too much, Facebook knows everything we have. And they do their updates in controlled rollouts. Is it really too much to ask that they update our clients/devices together?

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Hmm. I didn't think I was in the beta and I'm not seeing any rollback options. Did you roll back from 12.1 to 12? My software was updated to 12.1, but my Quest is only 12.

At the risk of bitching too much, Facebook knows everything we have. And they do their updates in controlled rollouts. Is it really too much to ask that they update our clients/devices together?
They said they were working on something for this, so I hope so. I'd got 12.0 on my Quest before my PC had 12.0 so I went into the beta branch. I just checked, and yeah, it rolled back to 12.0 from 12.1. Under Settings on PC, I had to go to the Beta tab and disable the slider for Public Test Channel. That prompted a download and install of 12.0.0.306.268 to be specific.

I hope they haven't started rolling out the PC updates before rolling out the new quest version, especially if 12.1 is in public test and something you can manually opt into.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
They said they were working on something for this, so I hope so. I'd got 12.0 on my Quest before my PC had 12.0 so I went into the beta branch. I just checked, and yeah, it rolled back to 12.0 from 12.1. Under Settings on PC, I had to go to the Beta tab and disable the slider for Public Test Channel. That prompted a download and install of 12.0.0.306.268 to be specific.

LOL. I wasn't enrolled. I just clicked the slider for the heck of it and it told me I'm now enrolled. Unchecking and un-enrolling didn't offer me any rollback options. Maybe 12.1 isn't considered a beta for me anymore?

A restart of the client hasn't seemed to change anything. Although I can't seem to find any tabs that tell me what version I'm on. I wouldn't even know it was 12.1 if not for the notification telling me.

EDIT: Yeah. I don't think it's going to work. I guess I'll just have to wait. I know they've been sending 12.1 Quest updates for a while. Hopefully it won't be too many more days for me.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: Whoops. I'm going to restart my computer and see if that helps any. I had stuff running that couldn't be killed earlier, but I can restart now. Maybe this will help me.

2nd EDIT: Yeah. A restart fixed my camera issues.

I don't think Polybius works with the Link, though. It worked awesome when the Oculus SDK was in the game. But when Giles ripped it out for SteamVR (instead of having both), it seems borked. Like others have posted, I have the audio crackling when I shoot too. And worse, it just doesn't feel smooth at all. It seems like the game spends half its time in slo-mo, before returning to full speed for brief moments. It just seems very off and I wonder if this is related to the audio being all garbled when you shoot things. I've got it set at 72hz in the settings.

3rd EDIT: Back to being stuck in the air. I quit. I think the 12.1 update has to be coming fairly soon for Quest. Maybe it'll fix my issues here.

Last edited:

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017

I did, had no issues. In fact, it was much better than when I last used it. Clearer image, better performance.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Do you have any HTC Vive software installed? A while back I was having issues and killing that stuff fixed it immediately

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I did, had no issues. In fact, it was much better than when I last used it. Clearer image, better performance.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Do you have any HTC Vive software installed? A while back I was having issues and killing that stuff fixed it immediately

Just SteamVR. HTC could never trick me into installing any of their software.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with virtual desktop being phenomenal, especially when near my router. I love how consistent the creator is on updating it to make it even better. Plus, he is nice and active in the discord. I setup lone echo to play through revive but I feel as if the camera might be a bit off. I need to mess around more, but wolves in the wall works fantastic which is very immersive without a cable. I've even played Rez and thumper perfectly fine in the newest virtual desktop update.

So at this point is Virtual Desktop better than ALVR?, as i thought historically ALVR had the edge?

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Polybius business is discouraging. Posting about the problems at yakyak.org forums could help! Remember, Jeff and Giles bought a Quest recently and are using Quest link or VD so that probably helps.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I don't think Polybius works with the Link, though. It worked awesome when the Oculus SDK was in the game. But when Giles ripped it out for SteamVR (instead of having both), it seems borked. Like others have posted, I have the audio crackling when I shoot too. And worse, it just doesn't feel smooth at all. It seems like the game spends half its time in slo-mo, before returning to full speed for brief moments. It just seems very off and I wonder if this is related to the audio being all garbled when you shoot things. I've got it set at 72hz in the settings

I picked up in the sales. The game seems awesome but I had the exact same issues which made me refund. I hope they can sort them out.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
So at this point is Virtual Desktop better than ALVR?, as i thought historically ALVR had the edge?
I don't think there's ever been a point when ALVR has had the edge aside from maybe when they both launched in the first month on the quest. Beyond that in general VD has worked better in general. though select people have had better success with ALVR over VD.