• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wasn't that impressed by itself. It was the 200 gram counter-weight that turned me into a believer. For comparison, I also wasn't impressed with a counter-weight on the stock strap. But counter-weight + DAS did the trick for me. I ordered the Quest from Amazon and was going to return it if I couldn't mod it into something comfortable. The way I have it now, though, is extremely comfortable for me. My unmodded Vive is horrible compared to my Quest.

same. DAS still needed a counterweight in the back for me too (I use a 10000mah battery)

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Surely this can't be correct. You think the latency is better than even Link? To me there's an obvious difference in the latency between VD and Link (and I'm getting best case scenario latency with VD). I would be absolutely ecstatic with wireless latency that was as good as Link.

Yeah that makes sense, I think what I'm experiencing with Link are the v12 stuttering issues others have been experiencing, apparently this is affecting Rift and Rift S headsets as well since that update, at least Oculus has acknowledged it and is working on a fix:

It isn't every game I get stutter in, though Pavlov and especially Asgard seem to have issues. I get massive stutter in Asgard's Wrath using Link especially in the tavern, and that isn't present over VD (can't seem to launch it with ALVR).

I really was surprised just how much smoother ALVR feels, the recent experimental versions use sliced encoding like VD, it definitely feels more responsive than VD so you may want to give it a try if you're interested.

As for the Link either my issues are the v12 stuttering or maybe it's an issue with my usb 3.0 port, though Lone Echo is buttery smooth over Link so I don't really know what to think. Hopefully Oculus releases a fix soon so I can narrow down what the culprit is.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wasn't that impressed by itself. It was the 200 gram counter-weight that turned me into a believer. For comparison, I also wasn't impressed with a counter-weight on the stock strap. But counter-weight + DAS did the trick for me. I ordered the Quest from Amazon and was going to return it if I couldn't mod it into something comfortable. The way I have it now, though, is extremely comfortable for me. My unmodded Vive is horrible compared to my Quest.

Thanks. I'll keep my order for now. I did order the fancy battery counterweight thing from here https://rebuffreality.com/products/vr-power , which I should get before the DAS ships anyway. I want to see how/if it helps with the stock strap, given where it sits.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that makes sense, I think what I'm experiencing with Link are the v12 stuttering issues others have been experiencing, apparently this is affecting Rift and Rift S headsets as well since that update, at least Oculus has acknowledged it and is working on a fix:

It isn't every game I get stutter in, though Pavlov and especially Asgard seem to have issues. I get massive stutter in Asgard's Wrath using Link especially in the tavern, and that isn't present over VD (can't seem to launch it with ALVR).

I really was surprised just how much smoother ALVR feels, the recent experimental versions use sliced encoding like VD, it definitely feels more responsive than VD so you may want to give it a try if you're interested.

As for the Link either my issues are the v12 stuttering or maybe it's an issue with my usb 3.0 port, though Lone Echo is buttery smooth over Link so I don't really know what to think. Hopefully Oculus releases a fix soon so I can narrow down what the culprit is.

Interesting. For whatever reason, I haven't experienced any stuttering issues with v12.

I'll give it a go for Polybius. The game is broken with Link and too laggy with VD. Should also work with ALVR, so it'd be a good test case.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. For whatever reason, I haven't experienced any stuttering issues with v12.

I'll give it a go for Polybius. The game is broken with Link and too laggy with VD. Should also work with ALVR, so it'd be a good test case.

Curious to hear how it works for you, fyi be sure to enable the sliced encoding in the Video tab. Also if you get a launch error for v8 like I did you'll probably need to install the the 2015-2019 VC redistributable packages:

Jan 9, 2018
Yesterday I just managed to make my oculus link work on my gaming laptop.

I think the key was either newer versions of the nvidia drivers released earlier this month, or a powered USB 3.0 adapter instead of connecting the quest directly to the usb 3.0 in the laptop.

It works great! at least with google earth VR. I'll start looking for what games to give it a try. Boneworks?

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
The DAS is in stock on Amazon. Snagged one but it won't arrive until Feb 2nd. Better than paying $135 for a refurb on eBay without the headphones

Man it's really irritating how the Quest doesn't really work with mesh networks right now.... Oculus really needs to fix this and it sounds like it's been that way for awhile.
Works fine with my Eero system. I use ALVR with it often.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Works fine with my Eero system. I use ALVR with it often.

Are you using the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5ghz bands? The problem is the Quest is constantly wanting to switch to the other band and causing disconnects. One of the "solutions" that people say to do is to have different SSIDs but that's not possible on some mesh networks.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was playing a bit more with Oculus Link and getting used to the Oculus app, and when moving around the windows it finally hit me.
... I felt like I was controlling VidWindows from ReBoot, and it made me feel awesome.

That said, I think I need to get one of them 16" active extensions, so I can play out in my living area where I normally play my Quest wirelessly, since I have no space where my PC is.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Are you using the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5ghz bands? The problem is the Quest is constantly wanting to switch to the other band and causing disconnects. One of the "solutions" that people say to do is to have different SSIDs but that's not possible on some mesh networks.
Yep. Eero doesn't allow you to have separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5GHz bands. Though I do have band steering on and line of sight to the base station.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Surely this can't be correct. You think the latency is better than even Link? To me there's an obvious difference in the latency between VD and Link (and I'm getting best case scenario latency with VD). I would be absolutely ecstatic with wireless latency that was as good as Link.

I was pretty meh on the sound of the speakers when I first got mine. I'm not sure if I just got used to them or they required a break-in period, but I really like the sound on them now. It doesn't solve your heat issue, just thought it was interesting how my opinion on the sound quality changed over time.
Thanks. I did play a little bit more and am getting more use to them. The right one keeps popping up, but the left one has never popped up. I do have a big head...but seems odd that only the right one pops up.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
What guide did you follow to install it or did you just wing it?
There were two youtube videos that I watched. I will see if I can get the link for the main one I used. There was one that used heat shrink and I just could not find the right size to use. It looks great with the heatshrink in the video I saw....but since I could not find any, I just went without using it. It was pretty easy overall...took about 15 minutes if that.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Eero doesn't allow you to have separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5GHz bands. Though I do have band steering on and line of sight to the base station.
Well consider yourself lucky since various different brand of mesh routers are reporting the problem and it's a problem only with the Oculus Quest on their network and it happened after a specific update months ago and hasn't been fixed. I've got band steering on and I'm less than 3 feet from the access point and it drops after about 10 minutes and won't reconnect without me turning the wifi on and off on the Quest. It amazes me it's been 4 or 5 months without a fix.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
I am not new to VR, but got a Quest today. I'm impressed with it, looking forward to trying the Link cable.

Also... I was not prepared for the awesome and intimidating presence of Darth Vader when he first walks in at the start of the first episode. Goodness that was memorable. Puts an entire new emphasis on the terror he inspires on those poor bastards at the end of Rogue One.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. I did play a little bit more and am getting more use to them. The right one keeps popping up, but the left one has never popped up. I do have a big head...but seems odd that only the right one pops up.

I can't remember if I had this issue at first or not (I almost seem to remember I had one that would pop off occassionally). I eventually found an adjustment that really worked for me. I think that's also part of why my opinion of the sound quality improved. Once I realized how much they could be adjusted, I was able to really center them in the sweetspot.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Well consider yourself lucky since various different brand of mesh routers are reporting the problem and it's a problem only with the Oculus Quest on their network and it happened after a specific update months ago and hasn't been fixed. I've got band steering on and I'm less than 3 feet from the access point and it drops after about 10 minutes and won't reconnect without me turning the wifi on and off on the Quest. It amazes me it's been 4 or 5 months without a fix.
On the Oculus subreddit there are other people using Eero with no issues. What mesh network are you using? How crowded is the channel your network is on?

There's no doubt in my mind that it's a Quest issue, but there may be something you can do to alleviate it until they fix it

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Can't order the DAS from Amazon since they won't ship it to Spain nor Italy, anyone willing to order it for me if I advance the money? Don't know how can I return the favor tho... have a few digital games for Switch/PS4, dunno if there's a gift option on the Oculus Store but if there is one that that too. Or a $15 eShop/Xbox/PSN/etc card...

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Can't order the DAS from Amazon since they won't ship it to Spain nor Italy, anyone willing to order it for me if I advance the money? Don't know how can I return the favor tho... have a few digital games for Switch/PS4, dunno if there's a gift option on the Oculus Store but if there is one that that too. Or a $15 eShop/Xbox/PSN/etc card...

tried ebay? Several for sale there which should ship to Europe. I bought mine used from there but looks like they have new ones too

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
tried ebay? Several for sale there which should ship to Europe. I bought mine used from there but looks like they have new ones too

I had a look, not paying $250+ (or even $200) tho no fucking way lol
Maybe I didn't look hard enough?

$150 with shipping is already pushing it, especially if a Quest 2 is coming in Q1/Q4 2021 and we have no idea if a DAS will be "necessary" again or even usable with it

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
Hey era. So I decided to buy the third party cable until I get my official link cable. I bought the party link one. Not sure why I'm getting so much lag and freezing while playing Boneworks. And sometimes steamVR will just shut down completely and freeze. I wanna blame it on the cable but I really don't know what it is:( can't be my laptop since it's a Razer blaze 15 2019 model. With the 2070 RTX and I7-9750H. Any ideas of getting it to run better?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

It seems very suspect that HTC and now Amazon are getting them back in stock. Back when the HTC link first appeared on Reddit, somebody mentioned restocks were occuring in February. It's entirely possible the European Amazon shops will be getting them in stock pretty soon.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
It seems very suspect that HTC and now Amazon are getting them back in stock. Back when the HTC link first appeared on Reddit, somebody mentioned restocks were occuring in February. It's entirely possible the European Amazon shops will be getting them in stock pretty soon.

yeah, that crossed my mind so hopefully it'll happen, although it's oos again on Amazon.com with 3rd party sellers at 250+

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Is there no shipping service you could use? Or does that add to much to the cost?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Any recommendations for a good replacement face cushion? I have the DAS installed, but still feel that the stock face cushion is not great. I also have space above my nose where light comes in at times. So any recommendations for a nose/face guard/cushion that is really good?

Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
Any recommendations for a good replacement face cushion? I have the DAS installed, but still feel that the stock face cushion is not great. I also have space above my nose where light comes in at times. So any recommendations for a nose/face guard/cushion that is really good?
Me and my cousin just ordered a couple different colors of these. They arrive today! Will let you know how they are if you are interested.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering the same thing. I was considering the AMVR facial interface, but reviews say it doesn't work with glasses. Would try VRCover but I hate that they aren't on Amazon cause shipping from them would suck. Also the silicone ones look really flimsy and shitty.

If you find something you like let me know!

Hey era. So I decided to buy the third party cable until I get my official link cable. I bought the party link one. Not sure why I'm getting so much lag and freezing while playing Boneworks. And sometimes steamVR will just shut down completely and freeze. I wanna blame it on the cable but I really don't know what it is:( can't be my laptop since it's a Razer blaze 15 2019 model. With the 2070 RTX and I7-9750H. Any ideas of getting it to run better?
Could be that the port isn't supplying enough power to the cable. I read somewhere that someone used a powered/active extension instead of plugging it directly into the port and all of their issues went away. Try that!

Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
I'm wondering the same thing. I was considering the AMVR facial interface, but reviews say it doesn't work with glasses. Would try VRCover but I hate that they aren't on Amazon cause shipping from them would suck. Also the silicone ones look really flimsy and shitty.

If you find something you like let me know!

Could be that the port isn't supplying enough power to the cable. I read somewhere that someone used a powered/active extension instead of plugging it directly into the port and all of their issues went away. Try that!
Sweet! Will see if I can find one on amazon hopefully for same day delivery! Any certain one you recommend? Lol

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Lunar new year sale on!

Has Apex constructor, gun club, republique a fisherman's sale and others on sale. Can get a bundle of games but it's high at £70+

Will pick up apex constructor, gun club and maybe republique.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Having a fucking blast in gun club vr. Shame its teleport only and mainly stationary, but the visuals and detail on guns and the environment is nuts. Everything has been modelled with great care and attention and the guns really do feel great. Really satisfies fps nut in me.

For the price it's a worthy buy and it has lots of content. Cross buy too.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Having a fucking blast in gun club vr. Shame its teleport only and mainly stationary, but the visuals and detail on guns and the environment is nuts. Everything has been modelled with great care and attention and the guns really do feel great. Really satisfies fps nut in me.

For the price it's a worthy buy and it has lots of content. Cross buy too.
If the gun details and realism is what attract you in that kind of game I STRONGLY suggest you try out H3VR (if you have a Link cable since it is not and probably never will be available on the Quest).

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I hate to admit this, but Virtual Desktop (Steam/Oculus app) + Link is way better than the native Virtual Desktop for Quest.

I'm not sure how many people use VD for actual desktop streaming, but I finally hooked up link and played Virtual Desktop through the Steam app I own. PQ is much better and it's just smoother.

I went through the trouble of getting Mario Kart 8 working with SBS 3D in Cemu (don't even ask, lol), and it just didn't feel anywhere as good as I remember it playing on my Vive. So then I hooked up Link and ran it all through the Virtual Desktop app on Steam. So smooth in comparison. And graphics were significantly better. Then I fired up Dolphin for some SBS 3D play. The two methods are claiming similar latency numbers, but F-Zero GX and Super Monkey Ball just seemed to play much better with Link (and also looked better to boot).

This is the method I'll be using for Desktop streaming from now on.

It's so wrong that I kinda like my crappy Amazon cable better than my fiber Link cable for desktop play. The rigidness of the Amazon cable means I can bend it in directions that avoids touching my body (and it stays that way). Rigid cables have some benefits. Whoda' thunk.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

lb2849jhzkc41.jpg

Saw this posted on Reddit. It certainly jives with my feeling that the Quest has a wider FOV than the Vive.

sHitman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
I'm going to sell my quest today.

The tech is fine and I had a nice weekend but in the end it's not just there yet.

It's incredible how easy and well it works, but my pupillary distance is 75mm and the quest is 72mm at max. This gives me kind of a headache, espeacially if something appears directly in front of my face.

It's quite heavy and the battery lasts "only" for 2-3 hours.

The reason I sell it though is the future. I think in 5 years the tech will be so much better you can't just phantom it right now. The piece of electronic I got for 400€ is incredible. Everything works out of the box and exceptionally well. Super Hot VR is a window into a new way of gaming. It's incredible. No cameras, easy set-up. But I wait a few years until there is a device that fits on my big head. And by then the tech has advanced as well, hopefully.

Perfo

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hi guys, do the Oculus Quest out of the box includes AA batteries for the controllers or one must buy separately?

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hi guys, do the Oculus Quest out of the box includes AA batteries for the controllers or one must buy separately?

they include AA batteries. You should still get very good rechargable batteries. Those beastly controllers eat them like breakfast and if they battery is almost gone you will sometimes notice tracking problems in certain games like Beat Saber.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Still on my original AA batteries lol. I've played quite a bit and my family too.

I do have eneloop batteries ready though.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I use Eneloop Pros with mine. There's probably cheaper options, but I'm very pleased with them.