• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
dims

Official Launch Date - May 21st, 2019.
Oculus Quest Price - $399/$499 USD for the 64GB/128GB Models

SHOUTOUT to Lakuza. I used some images from his Oculus Rift OT since I've never made an OT before and his looked great.
What is it?
The Oculus Quest is the first all-in-one VR headset from Oculus. It is a standalone headset which means you do not need any additional hardware to make use of it (IE a PC/PS4). It is also the first truly wireless VR headset out of the box.

How does it work?
The Oculus Quest works by using cameras on the headset to track the movement of the controllers. The headset is capable of 6DOF (Six degrees of freedom) which means you can move in any direction and your movement will be tracked and you can interact freely with the environment.

What does it run?
The Oculus Quest will launch with over 50 games available through the Oculus Store. A lot of these games will feature demos to let you try the experience before you purchase them and there will be other free experiences on-hand as well. It has been said that Oculus is allowing cross-purchase between its PC and Quest stores so some games will be playable on both platforms with only one purchase. It has also been confirmed that there will be cross-play between Oculus devices (Determined by Developer).

Can I sideload applications?
It has been said you will be able to sideload applications in the same way you can do so on other Oculus mobile headsets (Notably Oculus Go). The process involves creating a developer account, installing drivers and allowing unknown source installations on the device.

What are the hardware specifications?
Display:
DUAL OLED 1,440 x 1,600 resolution per eye (2,880 x 1,600 total)
Up to 72Hz Refresh Rate
Field of View (Unconfirmed will update later)
Hardware IPD Adjustment

On-Board:
SnapDragon 835 CPU
Battery Life is Estimated at 2 to 2:30 hours of playtime. The headset comes with a long USB-C cable and can be charged while gaming if necessary.
6DOF Headset Movement and Controller Tracking
Integrated Open-Ear Audio through the headset strap and also two (One on each side) 3.5MM jacks if you want to use your own headphones.
Weight around 570 grams.

What games support cross-buy?
This list is unconfirmed and may be subject to change. Also, keep in mind cross-buy only works on Oculus Store purchases.
Angry Birds VR
Apex Construct
BoxVR
Dance Central VR
Dead and Buried 2
Drop Dead Dual Strike
Eleven: Table Tennis VR
Face Your Fears 2
Fruit Ninja VR
I Expect You To Die
Journey of the Gods
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Ocean Rift
Orbus VR: Reborn
Racket: Nx
Racket Fury: Table Tennis VR
Robo Recall
Shadow Point
Space Pirate Trainer
Sports Scramble
Tilt Brush
The Climb
Thumper
Ultrawings

(THE FOLLOWING GAMES ARE CONFIRMED NOT TO SUPPORT CROSS-BUY)
Beat Saber (Purchased Songs will carry over)
Moss
SUPERHOT VR
Virtual Desktop

Yz31dsp.jpg

This is a brief list of some really great games. It does not even begin to list all of them, just a few notable ones.

Gl1XPFS.jpg

Robo Recall | Epic Games
It retails for $29.99
It supports Crossbuy so you *should* get it for free if you previously owned a Rift (Since it came free with the Rift').

Deadandburied22-810x456.jpg

Dead And Buried II | Gunfire Games
I cannot find pricing information (Will be updated later) the first game retailed for $19.99
It will support Cross-Buy

5dd3bd1bde6530906162b1ad77d2c72a4f535058.jpg

Superhot VR | SuperhotGame
Will be update when it is available (Retails for $24.99 on Oculus PC store)
Does not support Cross-Buy.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fjessedamiani%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F03%2FtXBPiDtJ-1200x675.jpg

Beat Saber | Beat Games
$29.99
Does not support Cross-Buy.

header.jpg

Job Simulator | Owlchemy Labs
$19.99

header.jpg

Rec Room | Against Gravity
Free (Supports Cosmetic Microtransactions)
Launching with limited modes with more being added over time.

capsule_616x353.jpg

Apex Construct | Fast Travel Games
$19.99

header.jpg

YouTube VR | Google
Free

Last edited:

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
This could be the VR headset to crack into the mainstream. It's got it all - 6DOF, good motion controls, and best of all, no reliance on a PC or a console to drive it. I'm very excited.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT!

I just got a 'Processing for shipping' email, despite the site saying 27th an hour ago. So excited!

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Subbed. Will wait for user impressions before I take the plunge, very interested in this! Has anyone here tried it yet?

Oct 25, 2017
Good job with the OT!

Really excited despite being a Rift owner. Looking forward to spending a lot of time with the Quest during the long Memorial Day weekend.

Edit: I wish they would announce the official earbuds already though.

alexlf

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Mine just came in! Only problem is, there's nothing in the store yet. Whelp.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
As a PSVR owner with many of these games already in my library, I'm still fighting like hell to keep myself from buying one of these. The QOL boost of being wireless, self-contained, and supposedly less-fussy tracking is a powerful draw. I'll certainly be watching this thread closely and living vicariously through those that make the jump.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to get mine on Tuesday.

Wonder how long it'll take to get my game building to this thing!

Randroid

Oct 28, 2017
I've been checking it out for reviewing purposes and I'm quite enarmored with it. The ease of use is really well done, not a hassle like the regular Rift. Just like the Switch, it's pick up and play. Visuals are good too. Only thing I'm worried about is support from developers.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
I'm getting a Rift S myself but I hope the Quest is a big hit because I want to see VR grow. Looking forward to everyone's impressions.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think this over the rift S is worth it if you already have a gaming PC? Untethered seems critical to a good experience.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I finally broke down and ordered the carry case. It seems like a key thing to pick up with the system, given that portability is such a strong point.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
Think this over the rift S is worth it if you already have a gaming PC? Untethered seems critical to a good experience.

Personally I would say no. A wire is really a minor thing unless what you want out of VR is to take it loads of places. If you've got the hardware to power a headset, I would recommend that.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This could be the VR headset to crack into the mainstream. It's got it all - 6DOF, good motion controls, and best of all, no reliance on a PC or a console to drive it. I'm very excited.

I don't think Quest will do so, but future iterations will enter mainstream. It is a good first step towards mainstream adoption.

Still have not decided on 64 or 128.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So will side loading allow for best saber mods?
Nobody really knows yet, and I kind of understand the developers not wanting to explicitly talk about it.

It wouldn't surprise me if the game was built in a somewhat mod-friendly way, like the original was, but getting a pipeline for custom music in place will probably take the community a little bit of time.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Bought a 128gb model from Best Buy, was hoping they would ship it early...but dreams are dashed...first VR since I had the Rift when it was released, only to later return it lol. The untethered dream is coming to light.

Reviews and the videos I've seen of the games on the Quest in action definitely have me interested. Hopefully the Quest has a solid sales start to finally get VR more mainstream and get more things ported/developed for it

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Was budgeting for only one 40 dollar game (OrbusVR) but I just got that on sale for 30 dollars. Now I can Vader Immortal as well =D

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT OP

Can't wait for mine. I've had rift DK1, CV1, Vive, WMR, PSVR, Go, cardboard and labo VR. This is possibly the most exciting. I'm keeping PSVR and quest (hopefully)

My wife doesn't play games at all, but a couple of shooting range games on PSVR piqued her interest, and she liked Beat Saber. But she won't set up the PS4/PC herself - so quest hopefully lowers that barrier enough that she'll play a lot more. Go being wireless was great but 3DOF killed my interest in it. This should be the real deal. I've never done any social games on VR but i'm Curious to try rec room, big screen and VR Chat with quest.

I'm also hoping that PC streaming solutions like ALVR/riftcat/vridge will be usable as my pc is decent but I found it hard to justify 3 headsets.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
I've been so happy with PCVR that I decided to swap out my Rift for an S for now, but I'm planning on picking up a Quest when I can better afford it. Local co-op with cross play games should be fun.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Really excited about this. I've been a VR believe since the DK1 Rift, and this, to me, is a giant step forward. It may not be the most powerful device, but I think that the launch lineup is great and that we'll see this get quite a bit of support.

I'm definitely picking up:
Beat Saber
Journey of the Gods (if reviews match up with what has been said in previews)
Dance Central VR
Sports Scramble
Superhot VR
Vader Immortal

I'll probably grab some other stuff, too, like Box VR.

Getting the carrying case, too. Still need to get some headphones. Does anyone know when the official Oculus ones are releasing? I asked for other recommendations in the other thread but only got one reply.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Getting the carrying case, too. Still need to get some headphones. Does anyone know when the official Oculus ones are releasing? I asked for other recommendations in the other thread but only got one reply.
Rumor has it the official in-ear headphones will be available in stores on launch day, but Oculus hasn't verified that.

alexlf

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Wow, really surprised at the quality of the thing, even just through a few demos. Doesn't feel like "mobile vr", it feels like the real deal.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
As a PSVR owner with many of these games already in my library, I'm still fighting like hell to keep myself from buying one of these. The QOL boost of being wireless, self-contained, and supposedly less-fussy tracking is a powerful draw. I'll certainly be watching this thread closely and living vicariously through those that make the jump.
this is me.

sebco

Oct 27, 2017
Going to wait for a bunch of ERA people to get their hands on this, but probably jumping in on one before too long.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

This is me right now haha.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have two PCs specced for Rift (i7 + 6GB GTX 1060). No interest in wires. I still play my PSVR for seated games but I swore it would be the last tethered headset I ever buy.

Please don't tell people they are making the wrong decision, everyone has their own priorities. Being fully untethered is a big deal to many of us; to the point that we're willing to leave the best graphical experiences behind for the time being. I can totally live with knowing that I won't have access to the prettiest Rift games for the next couple of years.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Good job on the OT! Received the email yesterday that it was being processed and was preparing for shipping (official Oculus Store).

Update, current status is:
"Processing for shipping
Dispatches by May 21"

Last edited:

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I've been extremely lucky with what I *haven't* bought because I've been planning to get into another VR space beyond PSVR for a while, so my PSVR purchases have been almost 100% exclusives. Also, I stopped buying PCVR stuff before the touch controllers came out for the original Rift, so I don't have Job Simulator, Superhot VR, Moss, Beat Saber, etc etc.

My PC is still comfortably specced for VR. But I don't want to go tethered, and cannot afford PC wireless solutions. I know what I'm buying and why.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is that Rift S will give you all the games the Quest will have, but at higher fidelity, and you will also get all those games the Quest just can't run.
That's not quite correct. The Rift S will give you a different library of games altogether than Quest. There is some overlap, true, especially at launch since Oculus tried to get the biggest VR classics for Quest launch, but since Quest is basically a dedicated game console, and based on a different architecture entirely, there will be exclusive games for it. There are already known timed-exclusives, like Vader Immortal or Quest of the Gods, timed DLC exclusives (Moss), and other games like Face your Fears 2 haven't been announced for any other platform (the first one was only available on Gear VR / Oculus Go)

Last edited:

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Re PSVR, at $200 it's worth it for Wipeout and Astro-Bot alone. No regrets on my purchase and I'll never sell it. If PSVR2 is wireless and tracks from the inside I'll likely buy it.

But even in certain obstensively seated games like I Expect You to Die I end up going out of range on PSVR sometimes reaching for something. I've refrained from buying SuperHot because everyone I know with it says they have issues going out of range and that they feel constrained when playing. Also the Move controller tech is in bad need of upgrading.

Several people I know buying the Quest are folks coming from PSVR having been their first and only headset so far. Seems common.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I have two PCs specced for Rift (i7 + 6GB GTX 1060). No interest in wires. I still play my PSVR for seated games but I swore it would be the last tethered headset I ever buy.

Please don't tell people they are making the wrong decision, everyone has their own priorities. Being fully untethered is a big deal to many of us; to the point that we're willing to leave the best graphical experiences behind for the time being. I can totally live with knowing that I won't have access to the prettiest Rift games for the next couple of years.

I7 + 1080 here : sold my WMR headset for a quest. Untethered >*

Once quest is out we can all see how wireless streaming to the headset works.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Most excited I've been for a gaming launch in I can't remember when.

Re PSVR, at $200 it's worth it for Wipeout and Astro-Bot alone. No regrets on my purchase and I'll never sell it. If PSVR2 is wireless and tracks from the inside I'll likely buy it.

But even in certain obstensively seated games like I Expect You to Die I end up going out of range on PSVR sometimes reaching for something. I've refrained from buying SuperHot because everyone I know with it says they have issues going out of range and that they feel constrained when playing. Also the Move controller tech is in bad need of upgrading.

Several people I know buying the Quest are folks coming from PSVR having been their first and only headset so far. Seems common.

Feels like wireless was a big lie. It's way more expensive and technically convoluted than we were led to believe in the beginning. I can't imagine PSVR2 is wireless unless it's a hybrid system and tethered to the PS5 (which it really should be and wouldn't be surprised by).

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Almost there! This month stretch of waiting has been a lot smoother than it was last month just due to not having the what if-ness of it possibly releasing concurrently with an F8 announcement like they did with the Go. Having a pre-order also goes a ways for that extra bit of feeling of security :)

Superhot and Racket Fury are my for sure day one game purchases, and depending on reviews Journey of the Gods, Shadow Point, and Fujii. Also Bigscreen and Rec Room are obvious (free) pickups. I really want to go to a park and mess around with Rec Room paintball in a huge open area.

I know it's a long shot but still hopeful for a Minecraft port though doubtful it'll be at launch if that were a thing, they'd absolutely want to inflate their launch sales numbers more if they had that ready for a Quest release. If it does happen here's hoping they implemented some of the fantastic tracked controller implementations that Vivecraft has.

Oct 25, 2017
Rumor has it the official in-ear headphones will be available in stores on launch day, but Oculus hasn't verified that.

I hope this is true, but not sure why they are being so quite about it.

I don't mind using the onboard audio when playing with family/friends, but I'd rather not bother people around me when playing solo and I'd rather not use other earphones/headphones that have a cord length not designed specifically for the Quest. Fingers crossed.

Also thinking about picking up a Chromecast for streaming, but haven't decided 100% on that.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Most excited I've been for a gaming launch in I can't remember when.

Feels like wireless was a big lie. It's way more expensive and technically convoluted than we were led to believe in the beginning. I can't imagine PSVR2 is wireless unless it's a hybrid system and tethered to the PS5 (which it really should be and wouldn't be surprised by).

I think wireless will happen with eye-tracked foveated rendering, greatly reducing the bandwidth needed. So multiple techs are going to have to get caught up to the same point.