• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
It has to be soon based on past years. The Oculus summer sale has always been around the end of June.

Someone on reddit posted that the Moss sale was mistakenly started early which is why they put it back to full price so maybe the sale will start later this week? The post said that Moss will go back on sale and last a few days.

Unless they decide that the Quest is too new for a sale. I understand that even if it's annoying but I'd like them to come out and say it so I can buy games. Up to now, I've bought Vader Immortal and Space Pirate Trainer because they're cheap and I'm waiting on a potential sale for the rest by the end of the week. Otherwise, I'll just go on a buying spree anyways LOL.

Anyhow, Vader Immortal was fantastic. I just can't wait for the next part. I played some of the dojo up to level 10 and I enjoy it a lot but I enjoyed Space Pirate Trainer even more. I was jumping around and dodging so much in that with so much variety in ways you can attack the enemies. Very fun game !

My friend and mom have tried the device. My friend was incredibly impressed as he was not expecting VR to be that good. My mom had no idea VR even existed and she had so much fun just in the Oculus tutorial dancing with the robot and picking up cubes and stuff. This purchase seems totally worth it !

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I can't have a bowling session in Sports Scramble without falling through the floor and after spazzing out, getting kicked to the Oculus home. If I click on the Sports Scramble game, I'll load back into the game (30 seconds later, since the game doesn't pause) and down a crapton of points.

This is why Resetera posters who bitch about Steam forums piss me off. There's no simple way to communicate with devs. I don't care if they don't want to communicate back, but just be aware I'm constantly falling through the damn floor and it's pissing me off. Any store that wants to sell games should be required to have forums the devs must monitor.

It'd probably be going back to Amazon if this had started happening a couple weeks ago.

TopherDL

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, still loving this thing. As someone whose introduction to VR was PSVR, the Quest really highlights the shortcomings of constantly being tethered. And I said this before, but really do not care for Sony's tracking solution. The control scheme just feels night and day.

The portability really opens up a bunch of possibilities. I know it's PS4 exclusive, but could you imagine if Tetris Effect was on this thing? Being able to take that experience wherever you go? I can only hope that there is something similar in the pipeline for the Quest.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The portability really opens up a bunch of possibilities. I know it's PS4 exclusive, but could you imagine if Tetris Effect was on this thing? Being able to take that experience wherever you go? I can only hope that there is something similar in the pipeline for the Quest.

Miz games usually get set free eventually. Sony isn't even the publisher.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Still no word of an Oculus summer sale. I'm starting to get worried it won't happen at all. I figured at the minimum the sale would be for Go and Rift and I could pick up some cross buy games for the Quest.

I did just buy the National Geographic thing to try something different. It was short but neat. If they add more to it I would recommend it.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Got around to picking up Virtual Desktop last night after apparently the latest update shaves another 30ms off of the latency using SteamVR. Damn it's nice, I played a bunch of Fallout 4VR and it feels noticeably smoother than I get on ALVR. The fidelity of the desktop outside of SteamVR moving between apps on your desktop is quite a bit better as well, text is crisp and it's crazy responsive. Good on the developer to keep supporting the SteamVR option even after Oculus tried to shut him down, he's doing god's work.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
So I was scrolling the Oculus Reddit looking for the new firmware number than hit a day or so ago. And it was buried deep. So as I kept scrolling and scrolling, I came across this gem (with a sad 2 upvotes):

They're claiming <10ms latency. It smells like *cough* bullshit *cough*, but if it's even close, it suddenly makes the Quest a pretty killer PCVR headset. Even at 300 dollars, it'd be pretty awesome if you're someone who hates wires.

Considering the Quest takes a little over 20ms to decode the image in ALVR, I don't possibly see how this is even remotely possible (even if the PC encoding/transmission is doable in that timeframe). But it'll be interesting to see some real numbers when people start getting their hands on it.

Gotta say, still loving this thing. As someone whose introduction to VR was PSVR, the Quest really highlights the shortcomings of constantly being tethered. And I said this before, but really do not care for Sony's tracking solution. The control scheme just feels night and day.

The best thing about a Quest version would be it would have zero use for HDR. Which means it would likely be rebuilt using forward rendering and would look MUCH better on Quest than PS4 as a result. No more dirty smear for the image quality (that comes with UE4 and deferred rendering).

Got around to picking up Virtual Desktop last night after apparently the latest update shaves another 30ms off of the latency using SteamVR. Damn it's nice, I played a bunch of Fallout 4VR and it feels noticeably smoother than I get on ALVR. The fidelity of the desktop outside of SteamVR moving between apps on your desktop is quite a bit better as well, text is crisp and it's crazy responsive. Good on the developer to keep supporting the SteamVR option even after Oculus tried to shut him down, he's doing god's work.

Last I heard was 20ms. With best case scenario equalling around 55ms. He did mention he thought it was potentially possible to shave one more frame off (and get it down to 41ms). He didn't pull that off already, did he? If it's down to 41ms, I'm gonna have to buy it and check it out.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Last I heard was 20ms. With best case scenario equalling around 55ms. He did mention he thought it was potentially possible to shave one more frame off (and get it down to 41ms). He didn't pull that off already, did he? If it's down to 41ms, I'm gonna have to buy it and check it out.

Latest update says he lowered the latency from 50ms to 30ms. I don't have a reference for how it was running before the update, but it's definitely more responsive than ALVR for me at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
So I was scrolling the Oculus Reddit looking for the new firmware number than hit a day or so ago. And it was buried deep. So as I kept scrolling and scrolling, I came across this gem (with a sad 2 upvotes):

They're claiming <10ms latency. It smells like *cough* bullshit *cough*, but if it's even close, it suddenly makes the Quest a pretty killer PCVR headset. Even at 300 dollars, it'd be pretty awesome if you're someone who hates wires.

Considering the Quest takes a little over 20ms to decode the image in ALVR, I don't possibly see how this is even remotely possible (even if the PC encoding/transmission is doable in that timeframe). But it'll be interesting to see some real numbers when people start getting their hands on it.

If it's truly <10, I'll be selling my Rift to cover the cost. In theory, does this setup result in Steam VR seeing the Quest as a Rift and therefore everything is mapped accordingly for Touch controls? I Wish Oculus would work on giving us native support from their Oculus PC app.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Latest update says he lowered the latency from 50ms to 30ms. I don't have a reference for how it was running before the update, but it's definitely more responsive than ALVR for me at this point.

Wow if true. I need to investigate. 30ms was my dream scenario (considering the high overhead on the Quest with this method).

If it's truly <10, I'll be selling my Rift to cover the cost. In theory, does this setup result in Steam VR seeing the Quest as a Rift and therefore everything is mapped accordingly for Touch controls? I Wish Oculus would work on giving us native support from their Oculus PC app.

I doubt it would see it as a Rift, but I'd hope it would see the Touch controls properly. It's one of the questions at this point.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
So how does this work regarding getting the actual app if Oculus made him remove the feature? I guess you need to get an apk somehow? Do you need to but it directly from the dev or something?

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Virtual Desktop folks, do you have a 5ghz PC dongle you recommend? I'd rather run straight from the PC to the headset instead of through the 'net. My pc is wired and I can make it a 5ghz hotspot for access direct to the headset, if I have a dongle.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
So how does this work regarding getting the actual app if Oculus made him remove the feature? I guess you need to get an apk somehow? Do you need to but it directly from the dev or something?
You would just install it through Sidequest. It's built into their app list, once you have Virtual Desktop on your HMD, you would just hook it to your PC, run Sidequest, go to the apps section and choose to install Virtual Desktop. It was super easy.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

I think something is off with this statement.

He implemented the stuff he had working in the beta, but I haven't been able to find anything since that major update a couple days ago. As he states in the Reddit, best case scenario is 55ms and *maybe* he could cut one more frame off and get it down to 41ms (which he states is the absolute limit with this gen of HMDs).

I'll buy and test it if he can get it down to 41ms.

It's also what makes TPCast interesting. They have a ton of experience with creating ultra-low latency compression codecs. <10ms doesn't seem possible, but who knows. I'd like for it to be true.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Interested to see how Sairento turned out. The fact that they're only asking €15 has me concerned.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
Interested to see how Sairento turned out. The fact that they're only asking €15 has me concerned.
I haven't played the Quest version yet, but they had to redesign the levels to hit performance on Quest and remove multiplayer.

from reddit

Hey Guys,
We are pleased to announce that Sairento Untethered for the Oculus Quest has finally launched. You will notice that the game has a pretty 'friendly' price tag of $14.99.

We hope that this is a fair price for the game in consideration of the following differences between the Rift and the Quest version. The Rift version offers 13 combat arenas, multiplayer modes and campaign mode. The Quest version is a solo experience with 5 combat arenas, although these are completely different from those in the Rift version.

I also want to point out one awesome advantage of playing on the Quest.
YOU GET TO BE A CYBER NINJA WITHOUT WIRES.

I mentioned what's below on another thread, but would like to paste it here due to its relevancy.
"If we could we would have included all the levels from the original PC version, but the Quest runs on a mobile based graphics processor while the PC headset runs on a highend graphics card. We tried porting a PC level, and the Quest crashed. So we decided to build 5 new levels from scratch specially for the Quest. It was obviously a lot of work. We also had to optimise everything else, including the characters and weapons. It took us many many months. So including all 13 levels would have been impossible. We are also not sure if the Quest can take so many levels as Sairento is a very action heavy game with lots of things going on. Our priority is to preserve the gameplay. So if we had to make a hard choice whether to reduce the number of levels and features to preserve the gameplay we would take it, and we did. To compensate for the difference, we have made the game cheaper than the PCVR version. We believe that Sairento Untethered already packs a lot of replayability as it is, but we do want to try and bring more levels to the game in the future if possible. However that is subject to whether it is technically possible and feasible without compromising on the gameplay. That is still a question mark and we cannot/don't dare to commit until we try. But we will try. We would also want to see the reception of Quest and our game to see if this is an economically feasible decision. I hope you appreciate the honesty. Thank you."

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Oculus seems to be a bit rattled after someone posted links to a bunch of patched titles from their store on Reddit that people are able to side load for free, threatening "account action" for people caught side loading improperly obtained software onto the Quest. Curious to see where this one goes.

That sucks. Hopefully Oculus can get a handle on it and fix it in future firmware updates. It would suck to scare away the few developers they do have right now.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. Hopefully Oculus can get a handle on it and fix it in future firmware updates. It would suck to scare away the few developers they do have right now.
It would suck even more if they blocked sideloading for custom beat saber songs to stop sideloading other things.

though to be fair I still don't know if I've managed to update my system at all...

seriously what OS doesn't have a check for updates thing #_#

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
It would suck even more if they blocked sideloading for custom beat saber songs to stop sideloading other things.

though to be fair I still don't know if I've managed to update my system at all...

seriously what OS doesn't have a check for updates thing #_#

More likely they're just rattling cages at this point, trying to scare people into paranoia so they don't start circumventing legitimate purchases. Any detection system they put in place after the fact is going to be less than fully effective, is going to produce false positives and require a high level of moderation. More likely, just like the Go, they do nothing, but I expect their next standalone HMD iteration to be a walled garden setup like gaming consoles and will likely eliminate side loading completely.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Sairento has been absolutely butchered, first game on the Oculus store that I have ever refunded.

You know when someone says "this looks like a PlayStation 2 game" and you roll your eyes and write it off as absurd hyperbole? Well, believe me, this really does look like a PlayStation 2 game. The gore effects have been totally ruined - blood is now a faint cloud with bizarre dark red and purple accents inside of it, dismemberment is incredibly basic and stripped down and bodies instantly disappear once you've killed someone meaning there are no blood stains, corpses or body parts littering the environment.

In terms of content, this is paltry. Five maps, no multiplayer, all of them originally designed for this version and all unquestionably worse than any of the 13 on PC/PSVR.

Oh yeah, it's a buggy mess too. There's a persistent bug that prevents you from pulling the second weapon in your back out if you're holding the first weapon in your hand already, enemy AI is horrific and they wind up sticking within what seems like a 10 foot radius of their spawn and I've had multiple instances of sound effects looping and not stopping until the mission is completed.

The developers may have set the price lower to try and account for the inadequacies of this version but considering this may take the crown as the worst looking Quest game yet (and certainly the most disappointing), it's not worth the $15. It's not worth the time either.

Last edited:

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Sairento has been absolutely butchered, first game on the Oculus store that I have ever refunded.

You know when someone says "this looks like a PlayStation 2 game" and you roll your eyes and write it off as absurd hyperbole? Well, believe me, this really does look like a PlayStation 2 game. The gore effects have been totally ruined - blood is now a faint cloud with bizarre dark red and purple accents inside of it, dismemberment is incredibly basic and stripped down and bodies instantly disappear once you've killed someone meaning there are no blood stains, corpses or body parts littering the environment.

In terms of content, this is paltry. Five maps, no multiplayer, all of them originally designed for this version and all unquestionably worse than any of the 13 on PC/PSVR.

Oh yeah, it's a buggy mess too. There's a persistent bug that prevents you from pulling the second weapon in your back out if you're holding the first weapon in your hand already, enemy AI is horrific and they wind up sticking within what seems like a 10 foot radius of their spawn and I've had multiple instances of sound effects looping and not stopping until the mission is completed.

The developers may have set the price lower to try and account for the inadequacies of this version but considering this may take the crown as the worst looking Quest game yet (and certainly the most disappointing), it's not worth the $15. It's not worth the time either.
Thanks for the warning. I was worried about this one.

Norse

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Norway
Got my Quest a couple of days ago and I'm really diggin it! I do however experience a few issues with the controller tracking. My right controller is not tracked some times and I have to take out and insert the batteries for it to track again.

I do find games to a bit blurry. Are they or is it my sight that plays tricks on me? I'm nearsighted, which I didn't think was an issues since the lenses are so close to my eyes. I haven't tried with glasses since my glasses are too big...

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Is PC VR streaming back in Virtual Desktop now? Seems looking at this page it might be, last I'd seen Oculus had asked them to remove it but I'm out of the loop.

I was actually coming to this thread to ask about PC VR on the Quest - it's a massive selling point for me, as it would essentially be the best of both worlds (all games + wireless) so a couple of questions:

a) How likely is PC VR streaming to be available consistently? Is it a constant cat and mouse game with Oculus demanding its removal / delisting apps that include it, or will there always be a way to use it (sideloading?)
b) Does any PC streaming app that's available work with Viveport Infinity? I like the sound of a "Netflix for VR games", but I know there's no official support for the Quest.

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
Got my Quest a couple of days ago and I'm really diggin it! I do however experience a few issues with the controller tracking. My right controller is not tracked some times and I have to take out and insert the batteries for it to track again.
I had the same problem, but it seems the firmware update has fixed it, haven't had the issue for weeks now. Hopefully, yours will also fix itself!

I do find games to a bit blurry. Are they or is it my sight that plays tricks on me? I'm nearsighted, which I didn't think was an issues since the lenses are so close to my eyes. I haven't tried with glasses since my glasses are too big...
Make sure you are in the sweet spot of the headset. There is a calibration app in your library, if I remember correctly. Also, you might want to try adjusting the IPD distance (slider on the left bottom of the headset).

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
All of my controller issues went away when the included batteries died and I switched to Eneloop Pros. Coincidence? I don't know.

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit confused with sideloading in regards to beatsaber. I installed sideaueat, but how do I mod beatsaber so i can just one click add the songs like in the video?

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got my hands on a 64gb model!

Incredibly impressed coming from a Rift setup w/ 3 sensors and a TPCast. Definitely feels heavy and as a veteran vr player who wants deep dive experiences that really takes effect with longer sessions. The battery life too! I'm sure if I didn't run every game at max settings it would be better though lol, but hard not to coming from PCVR. Genuinely considering that battery pack + 3D-printed mount solution.

I'm definitely noticing the graphic compromises on stuff like Pavlov or Robo Recall. The tracking fidelity is also noticeably a step down, but honestly it's fine. The added clarity of the new display and the quick pickup tetherless experience really makes up for it imo.

I tried Virtual Desktop for a little bit with Blade and Sorcery - it was decent! Playable in slo-mo, but got hiccups every now and then, and the visuals definitely looked like video (kinda codec-y which doesn't happen with the TPCast). I expect it to get better with time, but still pretty positive about the possibilities. Superhot from Steam just wouldn't pickup my hands for whatever reason (I saw Oculus software opening upon launch so I suspect that had something to do with it) and Pavlov through Steam/VD had a hard time keeping up with latency/frames and my head was at waist height for some reason lol.
Oculus seems to be a bit rattled after someone posted links to a bunch of patched titles from their store on Reddit that people are able to side load for free, threatening "account action" for people caught side loading improperly obtained software onto the Quest. Curious to see where this one goes.

LOL Oculus really blew the door open with their anti-piracy PSA on the Quest sub-reddit - I bet a lot of people hadn't even considered it until seeing that.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

This sounds terrible, wasn't gonna get it anyway knowing there was so little levels compared to PC version but had no idea they butchered it this much.

I've been primarily playing PCVR games on mine lately through ALVR though hit a snag last night when my latency suddenly doubled and I couldn't get it to improve. I assume it was due to usage spiking at my condo complex which hadn't been an issue for ALVR till then. Ugh wish I could get fiber here :/

Has anyone here tried that Shadow game stream service in conjunction with ALVR or Virtual Desktop? There was a pretty big thread on it a couple days ago on the Quest subreddit, some people say it runs flawlessly with VR games but not sure I want to pitch in yet since my state doesn't have support for it. You can supposedly still use it if a state 1-2 away from yours has it but I'm still iffy on their general subscription pricing which is a bit steep for me. Here's the thread for anyone interested:

For those unaware it works similar to Stadia's system, they use a machine with a 1080 gpu in it that does the processing power for games and then streams it to your desktop (you still use your own library of games though), so for those like me with less powerful systems it can be an appealing option.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Sairento is so much fun- ive never played the PCVR and i thought the graphics looks okay for what it is. but man it does really make you feel like a bad ass!

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't fathom enough how good skybox vr. The best app for me. It's almost too good. You're really inside a theater. I'm rewatching movies just for the sake of it

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
A wave of posts is starting to come in on r/oculusquest and r/oculus showing people's accounts that have been disabled by Oculus...this poster claims they only ever sideloaded Beat Saber songs. Now if they determined those are pirated tracks that's one thing but otherwise this is gonna blow up in their faces if they're really banning people just for using custom songs.

Here's what it looks like:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
man this thing eats batteries so badly.

my batteries are dying after a few days of not using it even though I have it completely powered off :/

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
A wave of posts is starting to come in on r/oculusquest and r/oculus showing people's accounts that have been disabled by Oculus...this poster claims they only ever sideloaded Beat Saber songs. Now if they determined those are pirated tracks that's one thing but otherwise this is gonna blow up in their faces if they're really banning people just for using custom songs.

Here's what it looks like:

Sounds like these are all faked, created by a group on Discord who fabricated the shots and posted them on Reddit to troll and stir the pot. No one has actually been banned at this point. If you look, most of them are the identical image. or just slightly altered.

Edit: Yep

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like these are all faked, created by a group on Discord who fabricated the shots and posted them on Reddit to troll and stir the pot. No one has actually been banned at this point. If you look, most of them are the identical image. or just slightly altered.
they are posted by "[deleted] " now so that seems likely.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

Edit: Yep

Ah I see, thx for letting us know. I thought it was a bit weird that we'd be seeing action taken that quickly after the post on piracy from Oculus.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got my hands on a 64gb model!

Incredibly impressed coming from a Rift setup w/ 3 sensors and a TPCast. Definitely feels heavy and as a veteran vr player who wants deep dive experiences that really takes effect with longer sessions. The battery life too! I'm sure if I didn't run every game at max settings it would be better though lol, but hard not to coming from PCVR. Genuinely considering that battery pack + 3D-printed mount solution.

I'm definitely noticing the graphic compromises on stuff like Pavlov or Robo Recall. The tracking fidelity is also noticeably a step down, but honestly it's fine. The added clarity of the new display and the quick pickup tetherless experience really makes up for it imo.

I tried Virtual Desktop for a little bit with Blade and Sorcery - it was decent! Playable in slo-mo, but got hiccups every now and then, and the visuals definitely looked like video (kinda codec-y which doesn't happen with the TPCast). I expect it to get better with time, but still pretty positive about the possibilities. Superhot from Steam just wouldn't pickup my hands for whatever reason (I saw Oculus software opening upon launch so I suspect that had something to do with it) and Pavlov through Steam/VD had a hard time keeping up with latency/frames and my head was at waist height for some reason lol.

LOL Oculus really blew the door open with their anti-piracy PSA on the Quest sub-reddit - I bet a lot of people hadn't even considered it until seeing that.

The Vive Deluxe Audio Strap with a counter-weight on back can really get the weight off your face and make it comfortable. But it's not exactly cheap.