• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Just been playing the first hour or two of Moss on Quest.

God it's just lovely isn't it? The mouse herself is super cute, the story is sweet, and the world is a succession of pretty dioramas that are an absolute pleasure to interact with and navigate.

If this keeps up it will be getting near Astro Bot in my affections.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Just been playing the first hour or two of Moss on Quest.

God it's just lovely isn't it? The mouse herself is super cute, the story is sweet, and the world is a succession of pretty dioramas that are an absolute pleasure to interact with and navigate.

If this keeps up it will be getting near Astro Bot in my affections.
Definitely a beautiful game. I'm forcing 'nibble' playstyle of the game so I won't go through too quickly. There really isn't much yet on the Quest, so i don't want the legitimately GREAT experiences to end too quickly.

I"m starting to get a little concerned about the release schedule for new titles, or, at the very least, how Oculus promotes them.

I 'think' Accounting Plus is coming but there's no mention of it on the Oculus site although the Trailer for the game state 7/4 on Quest. I'm still waiting for word on Chronos.

Also, I just bought Fiji and tried it for about 30 min. It's a cute casual environmental puzzler with a visual style similar enough to Journey of the Gods that they're blending together.

Really hope there are more ports coming down the pipeline soon. I probably, naively, assumed that the Quest would be a great port machine when Santa Cruz was announced. The titles coming out now are being released at the speed of an IV drip. Slooooooow.

Last edited:

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Bought my Quest the week it was released because of this thread. I have been enthralled with Tilt Brush since then, really looking forward to more creative applications coming to the Quest.

SimonChris

Oct 27, 2017
Sairento is so much fun- ive never played the PCVR and i thought the graphics looks okay for what it is. but man it does really make you feel like a bad ass!

Yeah, I've been blown away by Sairento as well. It's definitely low on content, but the movement system is amazing enough to make up for it. It makes me wish every VR game had Ninja wall jumping locomotion. It probably helps that I haven't played the PC version, and have no idea what I am missing :). I would say it's definitely worth 15 bucks.

Kenichiwak

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone tried revive with virtual desktop? I'm able to get steam vr games to work but when I try oculus games through revive it says something akin to controller not recognized.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried revive with virtual desktop? I'm able to get steam vr games to work but when I try oculus games through revive it says something akin to controller not recognized.
I haven't yet, but I haven't heard of much success from people who have.
I just got virtual desktop running this morning with steam VR.
works quite nicely.
will likely get star trek bridge crew to play with a friend.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Their summer sale went live and not a single cross buy title has a discount. Not even stuff that hasn't been released on Quest (like RacketNX). I know they're trying to smoke people out, but for me, it's had the opposite effect. I flat out won't buy anything and I'll just play the couple games I did buy. Guess it's time to finally install SideQuest. Maybe pick up Quake on Steam.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Their summer sale went live and not a single cross buy title has a discount. Not even stuff that hasn't been released on Quest (like RacketNX). I know they're trying to smoke people out, but for me, it's had the opposite effect. I flat out won't buy anything and I'll just play the couple games I did buy. Guess it's time to finally install SideQuest. Maybe pick up Quake on Steam.
Apparently I Expect you to Die was part of the summer sale for the Rift but since it is cross buy, they quickly put it back to full price. That's two games now (they did the same thing to Moss) that I would have bought if I caught the sale in time.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Accounting+ on Thursday per Squanch.

Also $4.79 on Steam right now if you can play SteamVR through Virtual Desktop etc.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm looking for SteamVR sale recommendations for titles that play well on Quest if anyone has one. I'm not looking for anything that benefits greatly from twitch gameplay because the tracking and latency of controllers with Virtual Desktop, while good, isn't as good as wired interfaces in my experience, even though it's getting better. FWIW I have 5ghz routing hardwired into the PC and passing 300mbps - 400mbps to the Quest per the test that Virtual desktop runs so I think my infrastructure is decent for the current era.

Pavlov is out, I'd want perfect tracking for that. Budget Cuts seems like it would be a bit compromised as well in combat, possibly?

Bridge Crew I'm considering double dipping on (have it on PSVR with Move controllers as a limitation), seems like a good controller upgrade and not so twitch. If anybody has experience with Bridge Crew that could be valuable.

Adventure games, experiences, etc. are things I'd be interested in for sure.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking for SteamVR sale recommendations for titles that play well on Quest if anyone has one. I'm not looking for anything that benefits greatly from twitch gameplay because the tracking and latency of controllers with Virtual Desktop, while good, isn't as good as wired interfaces in my experience, even though it's getting better. FWIW I have 5ghz routing hardwired into the PC and passing 300mbps - 400mbps to the Quest per the test that Virtual desktop runs so I think my infrastructure is decent for the current era.

Pavlov is out, I'd want perfect tracking for that. Budget Cuts seems like it would be a bit compromised as well in combat, possibly?

Bridge Crew I'm considering double dipping on (have it on PSVR with Move controllers as a limitation), seems like a good controller upgrade and not so twitch. If anybody has experience with Bridge Crew that could be valuable.

I really haven't tested much because I'm hoping for further reductions in latency before really investing time in this technique.

Talos Principle seems like it wouldn't be bothered by it. I don't know if you've played that. It's like 6 dollars right now and unless it gets more complicated later on, should be fine. I tested in the early levels and it seemed like the preferable way to play (over wired HMDs). If you want some more aggressive titles, you can also get it in the Croteam pack:

I'm not sure how well the Serious Sam games play with it. I bought the whole bundle, but haven't tested them out. They had a free weekend and I found them unplayable with the Vive's wire and crap touchpad, so even with latency, I'm sure they'll be better than Vive.

cgcg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently you can enable supersampling which improves clarity greatly. Has anyone tried and how does that impact framrate?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently you can enable supersampling which improves clarity greatly. Has anyone tried and how does that impact framrate?

Oh, absolutely. SteamVR even lets you set SS rate on an individual game basis. You're rendering at that SS resolution, though. So if your GPU/CPU can't handle what you've chosen, it will murder your framerate. Key is to sample each game as high as you can (without dropping frames).

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
So far I've bought Vader Immortal, Space Pirate Trainer, Ultrawings, Superhot VR and Beat Saber.

I kinda feel like Beat Saber is overpriced for what it is compared to the other games I purchased. It's fun but I don't feel like it's that special compared to the other VR games I've played so far.

Vader Immortal was plenty of fun and I managed to beat all 40 dojo level ! Space Pirate Trainer feels like a true arcade game in your living room ! Ultrawings has surprisingly realistic handling and controls and I'm having tons of fun with it as an Aerospace Engineering student. Finally, Superhot VR is just cool and satisfying. I've been pretty happy with my Quest purchase and there's still like 10 games on my wish list RIP.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda feel like Beat Saber is overpriced for what it is compared to the other games I purchased. It's fun but I don't feel like it's that special compared to the other VR games I've played so far.
like 95% of my personal quest time is with beat saber :P

I can get the overpriced feeling, but it's also the easiest one to set up to exercise with in my apartment and a decent work out.
Plus custom songs expand it a lot :P

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are there any chains that have stock right now in brick and mortar locations?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I really haven't tested much because I'm hoping for further reductions in latency before really investing time in this technique.

Talos Principle seems like it wouldn't be bothered by it. I don't know if you've played that. It's like 6 dollars right now and unless it gets more complicated later on, should be fine. I tested in the early levels and it seemed like the preferable way to play (over wired HMDs). If you want some more aggressive titles, you can also get it in the Croteam pack:

I'm not sure how well the Serious Sam games play with it. I bought the whole bundle, but haven't tested them out. They had a free weekend and I found them unplayable with the Vive's wire and crap touchpad, so even with latency, I'm sure they'll be better than Vive.

Not sure if you've tested them yet or not but I got the same bundle and from what I played (Second Encounter and SS3: BFE) they ran quite smoothly over ALVR. Teleport is bound by default to one of the face buttons, but you might be able to set it to the thumbstick. Hope that helps :)

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this over on reddit.

keep talking and nobody explodes is on sale on humble bundle for $4.94 ish (I have an extra 10% off because of being a humble monthly sub so I'm not sure how much it actually is as I see $4.44)

when you buy this you can select to get an oculus key which will redeem for a oculus rift copy.
since the game is cross buy though after you redeem the rift copy you can go to the quest side of the store and pick it up for free.

I want to stress again though that you have to make sure to select the oculus version when you redeem on humble bundle, as it's a choice you have to make right away and if you choose steam you won't be able to get it on the quest without streaming it.

I just bought this because I wanted to take the game on the go because it's an awesome game.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017

keep talking and nobody explodes is on sale on humble bundle for $4.94 ish (I have an extra 10% off because of being a humble monthly sub so I'm not sure how much it actually is as I see $4.44)

when you buy this you can select to get an oculus key which will redeem for a oculus rift copy.
since the game is cross buy though after you redeem the rift copy you can go to the quest side of the store and pick it up for free.

I want to stress again though that you have to make sure to select the oculus version when you redeem on humble bundle, as it's a choice you have to make right away and if you choose steam you won't be able to get it on the quest without streaming it.

I just bought this because I wanted to take the game on the go because it's an awesome game.
Thanks - nice find!

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if you've tested them yet or not but I got the same bundle and from what I played (Second Encounter and SS3: BFE) they ran quite smoothly over ALVR. Teleport is bound by default to one of the face buttons, but you might be able to set it to the thumbstick. Hope that helps :)

I haven't tested them all, but there's a ton of options on the Croteam games. You can change to smooth locomotion, set whether you want snap turning, turn on vignetting (and set how strong you want it to be). The options are insane when it comes to locomotion/comfort options.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

Ooh, thank you. I hadn't picked this up yet. At this price it was a no brainer.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
damn i hope that rift s tracking update comes to the quest as soon as possible!
I'm far more interested in a setting that lets me check for updates than the tracking update right now.
like they already confirmed it's coming to the quest... but I still don't know if I'm off the launch firmware yet lol

Kenichiwak

Oct 27, 2017
I'm far more interested in a setting that lets me check for updates than the tracking update right now.
like they already confirmed it's coming to the quest... but I still don't know if I'm off the launch firmware yet lol
I'm not sure about the headset itself but I know in the oculus app you can see the version your quest is on in the "about this headset" section. I believe the current version is 256550.6170.0

Cocobani

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Thank you for this. Can't wait to try it with my kids.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure about the headset itself but I know in the oculus app you can see the version your quest is on in the "about this headset" section. I believe the current version is 256550.6170.0
The current version is 256550.6810.0.
At least thats the version my headset is on.
and this is part of the reason I want that setting.
I can look up the version sure, but unless I look somewhere else I don't know what it means.
beyond that even if I do figure out i'm on an older version I have no control over if or when I get on a newer version lol
There also isn't any settings to not update the headset which I would also like in case they push an update that has issues.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Played Chronos for the first time last night through ALVR/Revive and was completely blown away by the art and production values, it's probably the nicest looking VR game I've played next to Vader Immortal and REVII. The atmosphere is just SO good in Chronos, feels like such a step up visually from most things out there. I hope Oculus continues to fund experiences with this level of visual polish. At least we've got Lone Echo 2 and Stormland to look forward to.

Chronos is still on sale for $10 on the Oculus store for anyone interested. Also if you're using ALVR to play it be sure to enable "Fake base station" under the Other tab otherwise you get a no headset connected message on startup of Chronos that won't let you play.

Kenichiwak

Oct 27, 2017
Played Chronos for the first time last night through ALVR/Revive and was completely blown away by the art and production values, it's probably the nicest looking VR game I've played next to Vader Immortal and REVII. The atmosphere is just SO good in Chronos, feels like such a step up visually from most things out there. I hope Oculus continues to fund experiences with this level of visual polish. At least we've got Lone Echo 2 and Stormland to look forward to.

Chronos is still on sale for $10 on the Oculus store for anyone interested. Also if you're using ALVR to play it be sure to enable "Fake base station" under the Other tab otherwise you get a no headset connected message on startup of Chronos that won't let you play.
Whenever I have tried running an oculus game with revive through steam vr it will launch the game but then state the controllers are not recognized. Did you ever have this issue and if so how did you resolve it? I'm using virtual desktop app.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I have tried running an oculus game with revive through steam vr it will launch the game but then state the controllers are not recognized. Did you ever have this issue and if so how did you resolve it? I'm using virtual desktop app.

Hmm haven't had that specific message pop up before but it could be related to the no sensor detected issue some games like Chronos have at launch, ALVR has that fake base station option you can enable in the Other tab. If you don't mind using that opposed to VD I'd give that a try first. I haven't used VD before for streaming VR games so not sure what the workaround would be for that.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just learned about ALVR and this makes me really interested to PCVR w/Quest. I thought the thing was running in a pretty closed environement for starters, like external apps weren't allowed!

So I can stream my PC to the Quest and play via Wi-Fi? That sounds really awesome to me and apparently they're working on the latency too.

Is it complicated to install and set up?

Kenichiwak

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm haven't had that specific message pop up before but it could be related to the no sensor detected issue some games like Chronos have at launch, ALVR has that fake base station option you can enable in the Other tab. If you don't mind using that opposed to VD I'd give that a try first. I haven't used VD before for streaming VR games so not sure what the workaround would be for that.
Interesting I'll try it out thanks!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I just learned about ALVR and this makes me really interested to PCVR w/Quest. I thought the thing was running in a pretty closed environement for starters, like external apps weren't allowed!

So I can stream my PC to the Quest and play via Wi-Fi? That sounds really awesome to me and apparently they're working on the latency too.

Is it complicated to install and set up?
I toyed with ALVR and it worked decently but not great for me.
I decided to try virtual desktop instead and that thing is nearly flawless on my set.

with either one though you are going to have to sideload stuff and run a pc client.

and you are going to want it all running on a local network. I think technically it will allow you to stream to another network but the results likely won't be great.

that being said I have heard you can sign up to a virtual computer with VR games as a sub (kind of like google stadia but for VR) and with virtual desktop get that running fairly well.

mancan

Banned
Mar 29, 2018
Any impressions on Accounting+?

If you like rick and morty humour it is a very funny and fun experience my gf loved it. It lasts about 30-40 minutes per playthrough if you rush through although there are multiple pathways.

But be warned this is rick and morty humour if you are not into that you will hate this.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

I recently played through on pc and would echo a lot of mancan's comments. It's probably not worth the cost unless you're a R&M super fan, and definitely not worth the time if you're not. I got it for $1, thought it was fine and sort of a waste of time, but everyone values money/time differently.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Justin Roiland has a super annoying voice and supports people like JonTron
www.resetera.com

Justin Roiland has a Trover Saves the Universe commercial made starring... JonTron

A short video went up on the official Squanch Games Youtube channel yesterday advertising the recently released Trover Saves the Universe game by Justin Roiland. The video is painfully unfunny, featuring the plot of Trover wanting to have sex with a girl who is worried that his dead will walk in...

so that's about the farthest I will get into for impressions >.>

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Budget cuts is surprisingly playable. Its not really twitchy and the pace generally is slow and stealthy. Its also amazing in terms of presence - something about those walls is soo...leanable..

Compound is also a lot of fun. It does seem like it'd be doable in quest natively but its great fun - looks like wolfenstein but don't let that put you off. There is a demo too if you want to try before you buy. Really benefits from the freedom of movement/rotation that quest allows