• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good summary of casting options? Eg
- can you cast to Android TV
- which models give audio
- lag comparison
- casting to iPhone + airplay mirroring vs chrome cast

Etc?

I have iPhone/iPad and Apple TV but don't know if i'd Get a better result buying a chrome cast v3. Or maybe an ultra? I was hoping stadia would ship their ultras before November so I could use that, but nope.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Any one else super bored with it? Barely touched mine.
I have not played with it that much lately but mostly because I have a one year old son so I can only do so at night when he sleeps and around those moments I feel more like playing switch or watching Netflix. Also I'm waiting for some sales to get games, I only have a couple of them.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. I use mine for about 30-60 minutes each day.
But, I also got it to play Beat Saber as an exercise program so that when the weather wasn't good I could still motivate myself to get up, get moving, and burn some calories.

I knew going in that there wasn't going to be enough content on the system long term if I wanted to just have new experiences all the time.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
So I just wanted to drop a few words (edit: well I kept typing and they ain't so few anymore lol) on what started as a sure-fire refund candidate and then evolved into one of my fave VR experiences:

RACKET FURY:
TABLE TENNIS VR

In-depth Impressions

I'm looking at it as a former semi-professional Table Tennis player (meaning regional and some national ranked tourneys but never gone International or getting anything other than sponsored gear, no money involved).

First impression wasn't good and after an hour with it I was set in refunding it and just wait for that other (apparently very good) ping-pong (lol) game coming to Quest.

Physics are realistic, almost godlike in giving you that "wow it's real" feeling but also slightly fucked up in some way, how it applies force for instance, enough to make you into an awful player even if you're pretty good irl. Arcade mode was just sim-mode with some auto-targeting railing in your shots.

I was unable to even rally for more than 3 or 4 exchanges! Always playing defense since as soon as ramped up my topspin and power shots I'd just miss the table by a couple feet at best.

I was pissed.

After a few days playing other VR games I went back to it. And I fell in love.
Devs have been smart to include a few necessary tweaks like the starting position of your racket. Once you've set up everything to your liking it's much better.

I just need to fully close the rotation of my topspins to avoid the ball from "getting airflow" and fly off the table with a swirl effect. And pay a lot of attention to how your racket's plate is angled when hitting the ball and closing your shots. Carefully setting up the customization preferences is a must.

What made a world of difference was understanding that at least atm I need to watch at my racket when I hit the ball.
I'm not fully 1:1 into just doing the swing by memory no-look while staring at my opponent's side of the table, I'd miss the ball 50% of the times just "air swinging" at nothing and get frustrated. This I guess is inherent of fast paced/positional VR experiences with IRL "muscles memory" and required precise 3D VR player's interactions. If that makes sense (hopefully). The severity of it will always differ greatly between players but the experience will constantly improve with better hardware/hmds/dev tools and expertise.

As it is now, with time and practice it gets much better but it's still there, at least for me it is. Honestly it'd also benefit greatly from an higher and smoother framerate to make RF:TTvr even better.

120fps would be much better for this kind of experiences.

They can still improve the smoothness on Quest, at least by adding some customization to lessen the load on the 835sd and 100% prioritize gameplay.

I don't care for the A.I. robots and sometimes the Quest/engine/bugs (!) struggles with some skipped animations which are just distracting, especially when the opponent erratically moves forward to the net.

An option to have a wireframe opponent or even just a floating racket would be much appreciated.
It would look and play better and be easier to handle for the Quest's processing power.

Btw, there's afaik there's no option to play using only one Touch controller, and there really needs to be one. There's simple workaround to throw the ball when you're serving, without needing a dedicated second controller just to do that.

Anyway this game is now part of my daily fitness routine. I only play with Sim physics, don't see the point with the Arcade physics the way they are handled here.

I haven't tried the online yet because even on EU West I ping 100+ms.
But I could always find players online at any time, usually after midnight for me, average of 15 players on rotation.
I think the local mp could potentially be a blast vs a similarly skilled friend.

TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY?

• I'd recommend the game to any good TT players out there who don't have many occasions to play the real game with real people. I was about to refund it and was very disappointed with it, yet now I'd rate it as an 7.5/10 effort and if the devs update it to fix the problems, add more customization options while polishing the full package, I will consider it an essential 9/10 purchase for tt enthusiasts looking for a "pure" VR TT experience.

Casual players who play TT for fun at family gatherings or friends' who own a table, if the sound of playing VR TT excites you then grab it, try it for almost the full 2 hours and then keep it or refund it.

Absolute beginners who have barely ever held a tt racket their whole life or tried playing ping-pong maybe once or twice should not waste their money with this, imo.
I don't think, as it is now, that RF is aimed at you.
Just go get Sports Scramble (which is awesome btw).

Last edited:

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

Nah, I've been using it probably more than any other headset I've owned, maybe save for the first Oculus devkit.

Tbf I probably would have similar sentiments if it weren't for the fact streaming PCVR was a thing on it, that's occupied most of my time with it. Glancing at the Quest store it really doesn't feel like there's enough content on it but that's expected for a new product launch. I think they should've tried to port more PC Oculus titles however, particularly things like Lucky's Tale and Chronos. Yes those aren't strictly tracked controller games but would work fine (and Chronos now has Touch support) using the Touch thumbsticks and face buttons. Let's hope some more releases start to trickle in a bit more consistently than how it went down on GearVR, that particular ecosystem felt pretty dead and dry early on save for a few releases down the line.

After snagging it from the Humble sale I played quite a bit of Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes with my SO, damn that's a fun and addicting social game. I wish there more asymmetric multiplayer games like that for VR, it really enhances the sociability of the medium.

Also tried the Anne Frank experience which you can get on the Quest store for free, was pretty impressed with how it looked for running natively on it. Great presentation and VO of various diary entries as you explore her home. VR really is perfect for these sort of historical empathy experiences. I can see future history courses having a lot of VR reconstructions of certain events as a companion to the curriculum.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this was always there or I just started noticing it but I'm now seeing that god ray-ish white smudge in the center of both lenses some have reported seeing. It could be lens smudge related but I cleaned the lenses and couldn't see any scratches on them. Possibly image retention, though it seems to be some sort of reflection of whatever light source is presently on screen, more noticeable on dark scenes when there's another light source projecting. It's usually white though I saw the color change to the blue of the guardian text notification at the start of Vader Immortal. I don't think its light damage as I've kept it in the same spot away from any direct light since I got it at launch. It isn't super distracting but still noticeable and irritating. I've since disabled the auto wake and plan on shutting it off whenever I charge it. I have a feeling it may have happened from charging it overnight and the screen got activated. Hopefully it goes away over time.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I've been using it probably more than any other headset I've owned, maybe save for the first Oculus devkit.

Tbf I probably would have similar sentiments if it weren't for the fact streaming PCVR was a thing on it, that's occupied most of my time with it. Glancing at the Quest store it really doesn't feel like there's enough content on it but that's expected for a new product launch. I think they should've tried to port more PC Oculus titles however, particularly things like Lucky's Tale and Chronos. Yes those aren't strictly tracked controller games but would work fine (and Chronos now has Touch support) using the Touch thumbsticks and face buttons. Let's hope some more releases start to trickle in a bit more consistently than how it went down on GearVR, that particular ecosystem felt pretty dead and dry early on save for a few releases down the line.

After snagging it from the Humble sale I played quite a bit of Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes with my SO, damn that's a fun and addicting social game. I wish there more asymmetric multiplayer games like that for VR, it really enhances the sociability of the medium.

Also tried the Anne Frank experience which you can get on the Quest store for free, was pretty impressed with how it looked for running natively on it. Great presentation and VO of various diary entries as you explore her home. VR really is perfect for these sort of historical empathy experiences. I can see future history courses having a lot of VR reconstructions of certain events as a companion to the curriculum.
Can I stream oculus games too it? I heard there were crazy limitations, or have those been ironed out?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Can I stream oculus games too it? I heard there were crazy limitations, or have those been ironed out?

I haven't had an issue streaming games through Revive and ALVR, though make sure you get the latest pre-release version of Revive as that eliminates the judder that was occurring in Oculus games in earlier versions (for the streaming part anyhow):

edit: Oh yeah and in ALVR be sure to check the "Fake base station" box in the Other tab as some games like Chronos will throw up a headset not detected message you can't get past otherwise.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
So I loaded a 3D rip of Despicable Me and played it in Skybox. Absolutely fantastic. It really is like having a little Imax 3D theater. Speaking strictly on the app side, what exactly is Skybox's monetization scheme? It seems to be free on everything and seems like they're not even trying to make money anywhere. Whatever I guess. Can't complain about that.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Picked up the Croteam VR bundle on Steam for $16 and some change, have played a bit of Serious Sam 1st and 2nd Encounters through Virtual Desktop, and as a huge Serious Sam fan, I couldn't be happier. They both track really well and feel great to play. Great stuff.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had an issue streaming games through Revive and ALVR, though make sure you get the latest pre-release version of Revive as that eliminates the judder that was occurring in Oculus games in earlier versions (for the streaming part anyhow):

edit: Oh yeah and in ALVR be sure to check the "Fake base station" box in the Other tab as some games like Chronos will throw up a headset not detected message you can't get past otherwise.
THANKS! I've tried rift cat and find it... lacking, lol. Does it use the full 6 Degrees or just 3? And does it have the oculus controller inputs or vive?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
THANKS! I've tried rift cat and find it... lacking, lol. Does it use the full 6 Degrees or just 3? And does it have the oculus controller inputs or vive?

Np :)

It's full 6dof, and tbh I'm not positive on the controller input, I think its support for Touch due to it working with Chronos that recently got Touch support. Also the Touch controllers are modeled in VR in Steam environments through ALVR so I assume it has support for it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Needs to check if there is an update to VD as some controller actions aren't great like throwing knives. Budget cuts is ok but eg lethal VR is no good at all.

I was also getting noticeable stutter when moving my head side to side in compound which shouldn't be graphics but I'll dig some more

Overall I love virtual desktop and bought a few VR games in the steam sale. It's a relief that (for me at least) streaming is good enough for me to not need a dedicated PCVR headset just yet

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What length USB c cable are people using if they have rear mounted battery packs? I have an anker 10000mah USBC pack velcroed to the back of a DAS and it makes a good counterweight but would be nice to use as an actual battery..

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't do popstars on expert+ but I can do this now

not my video I wasn't recording mine :P

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a quick and simple way to prep super hot for new people to play? Like never played VR before. Beat Saber is simple enough - just click icons. Ive been basically getting to the game start myself and then swapping the headset but I'd prefer to just be able to hand it over

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a quick and simple way to prep super hot for new people to play? Like never played VR before. Beat Saber is simple enough - just click icons. Ive been basically getting to the game start myself and then swapping the headset but I'd prefer to just be able to hand it over
unfortunately super hot in general is just more involved.
beat saber you just swing your arms, not much to explain. super hot actually requires button presses.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Hey all,

I'm having an issue.. I recently setup the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap mod and got it working great, but when I livestream to facebook it craps out every time with the headphones jack plugged in. If I leave the jack unplugged it seems to work still. Am I the only one with this specific issue?

EDIT: Eventually I got it working as you'd hope it would (both mic and in-game audio were streaming) - not sure what the initial issue was. I'd restarted the headset multiple times.

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a Facebook account or I would test it for you.

Only odd behavior I've noticed with DAS is that when I start a movie in Skybox, the sound is super quiet for 10 - 30 seconds before the volume returns to the appropriate loudness.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of - what is the best recommended method of installing the DAS? Are there any 3d prints, or is it not necessary?

Dispatch

Oct 25, 2017
I had some ethical conflicts over installing custom songs on Beat Saber, but my wife (who didn't know about custom songs) kept saying she wished there were "songs she knew." So, to Side Quest I went, and...

No regrets, none. Yes, the songs are hit and miss (and I'm older than the average gamer at 46, so my tastes are older, too), but she was playing and kept saying, "Just one more" and it was awesome.

And, playing "Eye of the Tiger" made teenage me (and old man me) laugh at how fun it was.

I love my Quest and it's totally reinvigorated my interest in VR.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of - what is the best recommended method of installing the DAS? Are there any 3d prints, or is it not necessary?

Not necessary. Strong 'hook' Velcro stick to the inside arms of the DAS will hold on the soft Velcro on the outside arms of the quest (after removing the old one). You can optionally wrap around those arms but good Velcro seems to hold really well

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I had some ethical conflicts over installing custom songs on Beat Saber, but my wife (who didn't know about custom songs) kept saying she wished there were "songs she knew." So, to Side Quest I went, and...

No regrets, none. Yes, the songs are hit and miss (and I'm older than the average gamer at 46, so my tastes are older, too), but she was playing and kept saying, "Just one more" and it was awesome.

And, playing "Eye of the Tiger" made teenage me (and old man me) laugh at how fun it was.

I love my Quest and it's totally reinvigorated my interest in VR.

There is a ton of noise to wade through (for noise read anime songs). And even when you find songs you know, you have no idea if they're good beatmaps.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Was watching youtube VR to check out 180 video (might get a camera) and ended up going down an odd Poppy VR rabbit hole. She's done a few really odd short videos. They're all nonsense but really well shot

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta do a couple rain dances and sacrifice 50 goats to get my Quest to show up under ADB devices. It's literally an hour dance every time I try and get the Quest recognized as a device by my PC. It's a simple process, I just need to repeat it over and over and over before things align and it finally works.

Installed sidequest and Quake. Quake was pretty cool, but I'm glad I quit when I did. I wasn't getting my usual warning of a sweaty forehead, but when I took off the headset, I was buzzed beyond belief. I think if I'd played another 10 minutes, I would have vomited from it.

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
I hate that there is no easy way to show off Super Hot. Why is the menu this creepy closet with broken computers and floppy discs? Why is there not a playlist of levels?

Oct 25, 2017
I hate that there is no easy way to show off Super Hot. Why is the menu this creepy closet with broken computers and floppy discs? Why is there not a playlist of levels?

If I want to show off Super Hot I will usually just load up the disk that says "Super Hot" and either pick a level for them or have them pick one for themselves.

That disk is the playlist option. Also, if they are new to VR I will cast it to my phone to help talk them through.

I also like how you can take the headband and push it up so that you can easily put it over your eyes to set things up for people without having to actually put it on. Smart design.

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
If I want to show off Super Hot I will usually just load up the disk that says "Super Hot" and either pick a level for them or have them pick one for themselves.

That disk is the playlist option. Also, if they are new to VR I will cast it to my phone to help talk them through.
That's not a playlist but individual levels. I would like it to play multiple levels back-to-back like the main game. That is not an option on any disc. They play for a few seconds and then have to touch another pyramid. It sucks.

Orson9999999

Oct 26, 2017
There should be a disk that says "guest" on it which basically throws them into fresh save of the game starting from the tutorial and continuing until they stop or finish the game. Is that what you're looking for?

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm interested in this. My wife and I LOVE Beat Saber on PSVR. We play it at least three days a week, even months later and with a super limited song selection.

My question is this: Can I download and play custom Beat Saber songs on this? I know nothing about the Quest. I am very tempted to buy this literally just for Beat Saber custom songs.

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm interested in this. My wife and I LOVE Beat Saber on PSVR. We play it at least three days a week, even months later and with a super limited song selection.

My question is this: Can I download and play custom Beat Saber songs on this? I know nothing about the Quest. I am very tempted to buy this literally just for Beat Saber custom songs.

Yes, but you have to sideload them. But it's pretty easy to do. The reddit sub has a pinned guide that I found helpful for that.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent, thank you.
Easier set up of beat saber was the main reason I bought a quest.
custom songs are super easy to set up as long as you have a PC.

Plus I was having tracking issues on PSVR from time to time, they are far more rare on the quest.

I will note though, the sabers are going to feel shorter coming from PSVR. The move controllers are longer than the quest controllers so the tracking part is closer to your hand which feels like it takes off a few inches from the end of your saber.

Though if you buy something like

That should resolve that issue.

I have something similar that my friend printed off for me, but I'm to lazy to put it on and off so I just got used to the shorter feeling sabers :P

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Tried Sideloading for the first time just to get Tea For Gods on the Quest. I've been a VR fan since the beginning. RE7 was probably the first thing to really wow me. As a tech demo about the possibilities, Tea for Gods is blowing my mind right now. The feeling of space and presence is insane.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Knock on wood, but it seems like SideQuest has zero issues getting Windows to recognize my Quest. It's almost worth it for that "feature" alone.