• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
- Gravity Sketch
- free DLC for 'I expect you to die'
- Gun Club VR (looking forward to this one)

I thoroughly enjoyed 'I Expect You to Die' so I'll definitely be checking that out.

I never checked out Gun Club VR. Is it much of a game? It's seemed pretty much like going to the range in VR, which I'd rather just do in person, but maybe I'm missing something.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
I thoroughly enjoyed 'I Expect You to Die' so I'll definitely be checking that out.

I never checked out Gun Club VR. Is it much of a game? It's seemed pretty much like going to the range in VR, which I'd rather just do in person, but maybe I'm missing something.

Gun club VR has a lot of shooting galleries and minigames - it isn't aiming for as much realism as Hotdogs, Horseshoes, and Handgrenades, but it's shooting galleries are pretty fun and the progression system of unlocks keeps things moving at a fast pace. Runs great on Quest.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Gun club VR has a lot of shooting galleries and minigames - it isn't aiming for as much realism as Hotdogs, Horseshoes, and Handgrenades, but it's shooting galleries are pretty fun and the progression system of unlocks keeps things moving at a fast pace. Runs great on Quest.

Have you played it? I tried the gear VR version but I'm hoping this is more the pc version and has knives (my wife loves throwing knives in VR)

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tried them both. Didnt play Gun club before but it's quite ok looking. Very precise aiming. I like it.

Racket nxis quite fun too. Loving my quest

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
I won't have time to really dig around in Gravity Sketch till Saturday. I did install it, setup a cloud account for reference image import into app ( the cloud folder is 10GB's of free space). The menu is quite similar to Tilt Brush but looks to have more object based shapes to start with spheres, cylinders etc.

Blitz

Oct 29, 2017
Casual players who play TT for fun at family gatherings or friends' who own a table, if the sound of playing VR TT excites you then grab it, try it for almost the full 2 hours and then keep it or refund it.

I also bought Racket fury table tennis over this weekend and loved it. I played with my friend who is much better than me. What I liked the most about the game was arcade mode because I suck in real life.

I also have beta access to Eleven table tennis but that game is still in very early beta stage. I feel like Eleven still has many months of work before it can be release. So I went ahead and bought Racket fury.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all, they announced an Oculus Go emulation layer for release later this year. That'll open up the library.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
sounds like the new tracking update is going out

now if only I could be blessed enough to have an update pushed to me.
I think I'm like 4 updates behind at this point because I boot up the system, play beat saber, turn off the system completely and there isn't any way to push an update -_-

oh well I have it sitting plugged in and turned on right now. here's hoping it updates sometime.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Two new game today right ? Republic and raccoon lagoon

and 8/8 ninja legend.
How is republic ?

Last edited:

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sounds like the new tracking update is going out

now if only I could be blessed enough to have an update pushed to me.
I think I'm like 4 updates behind at this point because I boot up the system, play beat saber, turn off the system completely and there isn't any way to push an update -_-

oh well I have it sitting plugged in and turned on right now. here's hoping it updates sometime.

I'm in the same situation. Pls update, Quest.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
just a heads up the quest update breaks a lot of side loaded stuff.

anything that needs two controllers is unlikely to work as after the update each controller is considered a primary controller.

there is already a manual fix, but it's going to be a little bit before there is a more streamlined fix.

Oh well I can go a day or two without virtual desktop.

since beat saber is all done within a proper app the custom songs to that are fine, but there is a new update to beat saber as well and if you update to that you won't have access to custom songs for a little bit.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
just a heads up the quest update breaks a lot of side loaded stuff.

anything that needs two controllers is unlikely to work as after the update each controller is considered a primary controller.

there is already a manual fix, but it's going to be a little bit before there is a more streamlined fix.

Oh well I can go a day or two without virtual desktop.

since beat saber is all done within a proper app the custom songs to that are fine, but there is a new update to beat saber as well and if you update to that you won't have access to custom songs for a little bit.

iirc Virtual Desktop is one of the only apps that still works with the update.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon prime video app is amazing. Movies looks really really good. very high quality.

Dispatch

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon prime video app is amazing. Movies looks really really good. very high quality.
I was surprised by this, too. They're still fuzzy, but I watched quite a bit of a few shows, and they look far, far better than Netflix, or YouTube. Plus, I've got a lot of stuff synced from Movies Anywhere. I can see watching quite a bit in that mode.

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up, if you were a kickstarter backer for Republique way back in the day (I was) you should be able to message them your Oculus user name via kickstarter and they will give your account the Quest version for free.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
Hopefully is not vomit inducing like the quake port.
Sounds like it doesn't have the gun-as-viewpoint issue that causes the Quest Quake camera to move a bit when you move the gun, so that should help some, but I don't think he's adding any comfort options, so if a free-movement fps causes you to get simsick, HL on quest probably will too. Though because its tetherless, you can rotate your body instead of having to use stick rotation, which makes games like this way better on quest than tethered PCVR.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
the new tracking is GOAT tier- wow. definitely improved my beat saber experience

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
The tracking is definitely improved, before with arms at my sides the controllers would have the tendency to jump to the front of my view, now they stay there and bringing them up into view produces no noticeable desync or lag. Really impressive update.

Now just waiting for ALVR to get patched so I can try out that Into the Radius beta. Was contemplating getting Virtual Desktop to avoid the wait but think I'd rather put that money towards Racket Fury which is apparently insanely good now with the new tracking update.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
The tracking is definitely improved, before with arms at my sides the controllers would have the tendency to jump to the front of my view, now they stay there and bringing them up into view produces no noticeable desync or lag. Really impressive update.

Now just waiting for ALVR to get patched so I can try out that Into the Radius beta. Was contemplating getting Virtual Desktop to avoid the wait but think I'd rather put that money towards Racket Fury which is apparently insanely good now with the new tracking update.
I was never able to get ALVR to run smoothly enough for my liking so I picked up Virtual Desktop a while back in order to see if I would have more luck with it, and if I didn't then I would refund it.

I never did refund it because Virtual Desktop was literally install it, sideload the version that lets you stream VR games, run the streamer on your PC and go. I haven't had to change any settings, it's just run basically flawlessly since installing it (been able to play games like Raw Data and Gorn without any issues at all). Plus I figure it will get updates in the future quicker and possibly better updates as it's a paid project and the developers seem quite dedicated to it.

If ALVR is working well for you then that's great, I just wanted to share my experience with Virtual Desktop.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Question!

How did I force the new update?
I don't know... how did you?

assuming you meant do... you don't... you leave it on standby and hope the oculus gods will bless you with the update. There is no way at all to force the update.

Though I will note some people have had success doing a full factory reset and getting it that way, but it might have just been random chance.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know... how did you?

assuming you meant do... you don't... you leave it on standby and hope the oculus gods will bless you with the update. There is no way at all to force the update.

Though I will note some people have had success doing a full factory reset and getting it that way, but it might have just been random chance.

Derp. That should say 'do'. My bad.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I was never able to get ALVR to run smoothly enough for my liking so I picked up Virtual Desktop a while back in order to see if I would have more luck with it, and if I didn't then I would refund it.

I never did refund it because Virtual Desktop was literally install it, sideload the version that lets you stream VR games, run the streamer on your PC and go. I haven't had to change any settings, it's just run basically flawlessly since installing it (been able to play games like Raw Data and Gorn without any issues at all). Plus I figure it will get updates in the future quicker and possibly better updates as it's a paid project and the developers seem quite dedicated to it.

If ALVR is working well for you then that's great, I just wanted to share my experience with Virtual Desktop.

Yeah I've heard good things I might give it a try at some point. FYI I saw on reddit that there's a new beta for VD you can get on their discord that some have reported has given quite a bump in performance over the previous versions (for Steam VR streaming that is).

edit: Decided to try Virtual Desktop, definitely a lot more rock solid in performance than ALVR. Happy to see Revive titles working well with it too. Best $20 I've spent on the Oculus store easily :)

Last edited:

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like it doesn't have the gun-as-viewpoint issue that causes the Quest Quake camera to move a bit when you move the gun, so that should help some, but I don't think he's adding any comfort options, so if a free-movement fps causes you to get simsick, HL on quest probably will too. Though because its tetherless, you can rotate your body instead of having to use stick rotation, which makes games like this way better on quest than tethered PCVR.
I'll be sure to try it, since even pancakes fps give me motion sickness I don't really have much hope at all, but hey here is hoping.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Hey folks, been messing around with Sidequest today, it's great. But Pavlov - got it sideloaded, and it loads, but the controls are all screwed, like one controller seems to turn off the over one from being tracked, menu buttons dont' work etc etc..

Any experienced this?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey folks, been messing around with Sidequest today, it's great. But Pavlov - got it sideloaded, and it loads, but the controls are all screwed, like one controller seems to turn off the over one from being tracked, menu buttons dont' work etc etc..

Any experienced this?

It needs to be recompiled for the new firmware.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So basically wait for new update for Pavlov?

Yep. Basically, there's a single line of code to differentiate the Quest from the Go, and prior to this point it was not enforced even though it was in the Quest dev guides. With the most recent update, they've begun laying groundwork for a Go emulation layer, and apps without the necessary parameters automatically identify the system as an Oculus Go and restrict the inputs.

So once the apps add the appropriate code and recompile it should be fine.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Played Half-Life on Lambda for about an hour, it still has some of the world movement that the Quake port has when you move your head but much less severe. Other than that its a great port, I have not played HL before and once I got a hang of the controls it was pretty fun and immersive. The HD textures look great and only noticed a few jaggies.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I feel like Oculus/FB are losing momentum and aren't riding the device popularity in the best way possibile with how sparse the releases are. If this had a few more games out, it would still be on everybody's mind while it feels like the excitement around Quest has calmed down like... a lot?
I dunno, maybe I'm wrong but I don't think are giving folks enough reasons to keep carrying the Quest around to show it off to friends and such and the wom marketing is suffering because of that, again it's way too quiet atm, imo.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
outside / nightime use?

Btw, I really want to play outside to have a huge room scale experience, but afaik that's only possible at night, right? I mean, because of the lenses and you'd fuck them up with sunlight afaik

Anyway, would an IR light make it possible to have a room scale experience or is only standing/seated? Could you guys be so kind to point me in the direction of the correct set-up/items I need to buy (if available on Amazon would be awesome) to get the best out of it? I've moved into a new apartment and this one doesn't let me enjoy VR like when I had a huge 150m2 living room to do whatever I wanted to, in here all I have is 3m x 2m which is like the minimum requirement, lol

Help! 👀

any other neat accessories?
I was thinking about grabbing a carry case.

Edit: whoops double post sorry

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Oculus/FB are losing momentum and aren't riding the device popularity in the best way possibile with how sparse the releases are. If this had a few more games out, it would still be on everybody's mind while it feels like the excitement around Quest has calmed down like... a lot?
I dunno, maybe I'm wrong but I don't think are giving folks enough reasons to keep carrying the Quest around to show it off to friends and such and the wom marketing is suffering because of that, again it's way too quiet atm, imo.
Every single console launch its the same stuff, you get a wave of launch games, some sparse in between games and then when the platform hits its stride and devs are more comfortable developing on it then the games start coming in. I remember thinking Sony dropped PSVR after a year of relatively little support and now it seems like it gets a good game every few months. VR or not its the same cycle, don't buy a console at launch if you are worried about not constantly getting new games.
outside / nightime use?

Btw, I really want to play outside to have a huge room scale experience, but afaik that's only possible at night, right? I mean, because of the lenses and you'd fuck them up with sunlight afaik

Anyway, would an IR light make it possible to have a room scale experience or is only standing/seated? Could you guys be so kind to point me in the direction of the correct set-up/items I need to buy (if available on Amazon would be awesome) to get the best out of it? I've moved into a new apartment and this one doesn't let me enjoy VR like when I had a huge 150m2 living room to do whatever I wanted to, in here all I have is 3m x 2m which is like the minimum requirement, lol

Help! 👀

any other neat accessories?
I was thinking about grabbing a carry case.

Edit: whoops double post sorry
You can play outside at dusk or later, direct sunlight damages the lenses that go on your eyes. I have heard and IR light helps with playing outside at night.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Every single console launch its the same stuff, you get a wave of launch games, some sparse in between games and then when the platform hits its stride and devs are more comfortable developing on it then the games start coming in. I remember thinking Sony dropped PSVR after a year of relatively little support and now it seems like it gets a good game every few months. VR or not its the same cycle, don't buy a console at launch if you are worried about not constantly getting new games.

All this plus it's doing just fine sales wise according to Zuck's earnings call report he gave last week, to quote, "It has gotten great reviews and we're selling them as fast as we can make them."

People have the tendency of only looking at the small bubble of their online community when gauging overall reach and interest in a product. Just because this one thread isn't super active doesn't mean people aren't talking elsewhere about it. The Quest subreddit is still quite active and its where I get most of my news about new releases and updates to existing apps. As Gaf showed us time and again and now Era, this place is zero indication of broader audience interest towards a particular product unless its some juggernaut mainstay IP like a Zelda or Pokemon release.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
You can play outside at dusk or later, direct sunlight damages the lenses that go on your eyes. I have heard and IR light helps with playing outside at night.

??I've already said that you can't use an headset under sunlight and that I'd like to use mine at night because it would potentially allow me to play it outdoor with 1:1 room scale. Btw I don't think the IR just helps, but that is is absolutely necessary for it to work in those conditions.
I'm asking people who have bought one or tried it, to point me to a good solution.

All this plus it's doing just fine sales wise according to Zuck's earnings call report he gave last week, to quote, "It has gotten great reviews and we're selling them as fast as we can make them."

People have the tendency of only looking at the small bubble of their online community when gauging overall reach and interest in a product. Just because this one thread isn't super active doesn't mean people aren't talking elsewhere about it. The Quest subreddit is still quite active and its where I get most of my news about new releases and updates to existing apps. As Gaf showed us time and again and now Era, this place is zero indication of broader audience interest towards a particular product unless its some juggernaut mainstay IP like a Zelda or Pokemon release.

So defensive 🤔 And you misread my post in the first place. I buy things at launch exactly because I don't need (hell, I don't want!) a new game every other week. I own everything under the sun and I'm under a mountain high backlog as is, plus I hardly game besides Switch because I can't sit in front of a tv for hours playing, not anymore. For god's sake I was happy with WiiU's output!
So, way to be completely off the mark, mate :P I also haven't talked about sales, especially since we don't have (and probably never will, not soon anyway) any numbers, neither shipping/production numbers, so it's irrelevant and disingenuous to use FB's pr statement to measure how popular it currently is?

Way to also assume I'm living under a rock, maybe you are? Lol at measuring popularity going by the Oculus subreddit. I'm talking about mindshare, looking at the casual gaming/general population. I'm saying this device has done great but it could have done even better, much better: it could have been a first solid step into reaching massmarket wom mindshare/wish-listing if not ownership. Oculus could have rode this wave better.

They could have definitely funded more projects, more ports, day 1 Oculus Go full compatibility, set up more VR stations at malls and such, included an optional carrying case. Right now the vast majority of people who could be potentially interested in VR (I'm not talking less developed Countries obviously) have never even tried it.
Because it was historically difficult and cumbersome. Quest can be the winning trojan horse. Because it demolished those barriers of entry, it's all in one and easy as hell and QUICK to set-up... wherever you are and wherever you are going.
So what is that it needs? More reasons for owners to check the device's store often, thus not "forgetting" about their OC or having it "gathering dust" (ugh) to carry theirs around to a friend's house, at a party, or to hype it up at the water cooler because they've tried some new cool shit on the weekend.