• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Besides Pinball FX, Red Matter and Time Stall has been released too. Both these titles are rather well received based on what I see. I'll be buying them tonight

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here using SideQuest? I just installed it for the first time and I'm confused.

Every guide or video I've seen shows that it has sections for Android apps and other stuff. These are obviously based on different versions (although some are quite recent), but the one I have only has 'Apps', 'Games' and 'Mods'.

So I guess I'm using a newer version, but have they really just stripped out that functionality?
The sections are still there, the apps and games you see in the sections might have changed since the tutorials you mention were made but no functionality has been taken out in that regard. If you have an apk you want to side load that isn't already featured it supports drag-n-drop to install those.

Damn I'm forced to hook up headphones everytime I want to get some serious time with my Quest because its sound system's volume is SO.DAMN.LOW. I swear that it's sounding weaker than it was at the beginning.
I mean, the first 4 or 5 ||||| steps are equal to a 0 setting, totally silent when in system's settings (it should beep at every | step). That can't be normal...

That looks great, thanks!
That's weird about the audio, been using a DAS mod for months so I can't really speak to if they've lowered the audio output of the speakers or if you're experiencing a bug, does it persist over full shutdown/restarts of the headset?

Also, I cannot recommend the VR Covers FWIW, I got mine a few weeks ago (the foam replacements) and I ended up absolutely hating them, total sweat magnets and they reduce your FOV. Plus they cost damn near 70 euros with import tariffs included. A big waste of money in my opinion. I would look for some more disposable covers for workouts like these in the link below, a friend of mine swears by them and they're very handy if you want to share the Quest with others in terms of keeping germs away.

Super cheap and there are many options similar to the ones linked, these you fasten behind your ears and then put on the headset, no FOV loss at all in my experience.

Last edited:

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
The sections are still there, the apps and games you see in the sections might have changed since the tutorials you mention were made but no functionality has been taken out in that regard. If you have an apk you want to side load that isn't already featured it supports drag-n-drop to install those.
I only have 'games', 'apps' and 'mods' sections. Do you have more?

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I have Games, Apps, Mods, then a 3rd party section, under which there is VR Games, VR Apps, Android Games, Android Apps and NSFW. I'm on version 0.6.4.

Edit: Just updated to 0.6.6 and seeing the same options.
Weird.

I just checked it and only had the three I mentioned. Then it prompted me to update, which I declined because I wanted to check the version but that kicked me out of the app.
Tried again, same deal.
Accepted the update, and now it has an NSFW section.

There is still no third party section.

Edit: Did you manually add repos or anthing to get those to show up?

Last edited:

dgco86

Oct 25, 2017
Weird.

I just checked it and only had the three I mentioned. Then it prompted me to update, which I declined because I wanted to check the version but that kicked me out of the app.
Tried again, same deal.
Accepted the update, and now it has an NSFW section.

There is still no third party section.

Edit: Did you manually add repos or anthing to get those to show up?

I did a fresh install of 0.6.6 today and I only have the same 4 sections as you.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I did a fresh install of 0.6.6 today and I only have the same 4 sections as you.
Aah, so I'm not alone. Sounds like it's something that maybe comes across from an older install. Annoying.

Edit: I jumped on their discord and asked about it. It was intentional, as some of the apps there were added without permission of the devs. You can manually add these repos to get them to show up:

Last edited:

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Aah, so I'm not alone. Sounds like it's something that maybe comes across from an older install. Annoying.

Edit: I jumped on their discord and asked about it. It was intentional, as some of the apps there were added without permission of the devs. You can manually add these repos to get them to show up:

Maybe because I had earlier versions they stayed visible? I didn't manually add them.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
What are the general caveats I need to think about before modding Beat Saber on my Quest? I keep hearing that every update to the game wipes things out, including high scores - but is that just high scores of modded / custom songs? Or will it also screw with my saved scores and such on the official songs?

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
What are the general caveats I need to think about before modding Beat Saber on my Quest? I keep hearing that every update to the game wipes things out, including high scores - but is that just high scores of modded / custom songs? Or will it also screw with my saved scores and such on the official songs?
I heard that Beat On resolves this, but we haven't had an update since it came out to confirm.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Anyone had issues with stuck pixels? I got a Quest as a replacement for my kinda useless Go and really looked forward to having the OLED panel but I have a green stuck pixel right in the center of my right screen that is extremely prominent in dark scenes. Is it a widespread problem? I really hope one replacement will do it because it's an awesome device.

The two cheaper VR headsets I bought - PSVR and Oculus Go - were both flawless. My Index (that I've since returned) as well as the Quest now had issues with panel quality. I'm not even that sensitive to stuck pixels on specific colors, just pixels that stick out in darkness annoy me. Thankfully Amazon still has them in stock so I can get a replacement.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Anyone had issues with stuck pixels? I got a Quest as a replacement for my kinda useless Go and really looked forward to having the OLED panel but I have a green stuck pixel right in the center of my right screen that is extremely prominent in dark scenes. Is it a widespread problem? I really hope one replacement will do it because it's an awesome device.

The two cheaper VR headsets I bought - PSVR and Oculus Go - were both flawless. My Index (that I've since returned) as well as the Quest now had issues with panel quality. I'm not even that sensitive to stuck pixels on specific colors, just pixels that stick out in darkness annoy me. Thankfully Amazon still has them in stock so I can get a replacement.
I did and got mine replaced with one that does not by going through support.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Pinball FX2 VR is legit fantastic. Can't go back playing digital pinball any other way.

BUT:
The price is frankly too much for some of these tables.
15€ to get the 3 basic (fantasy) tables (which are not the best out there), but €20 to get the Universal 3-pins pack and no demo versions? Ugh, that's wild. At least they could've avoided putting the same pack on sale for €5 on Switch the same day, lol (usually €9,89)

There is NO WAY TO RAISE THE TABLES IN HEIGHT from the floor and for whatever reason they are super low... the only way is to trick the game starting it while on your toes. Same for their position in the room, so the best way is to find the right position to start the app so that you can play it while seating on your couch, unless you want to welcome neck pain since you're forced to have your head way too tilted.

But it's sooooo goood. They NEED to include the Williams packs but I'm afraid they won't because their physics are tied to PFX3 while this version is built on PFX2's

That's weird about the audio, been using a DAS mod for months so I can't really speak to if they've lowered the audio output of the speakers or if you're experiencing a bug, does it persist over full shutdown/restarts of the headset?

Also, I cannot recommend the VR Covers FWIW, I got mine a few weeks ago (the foam replacements) and I ended up absolutely hating them, total sweat magnets and they reduce your FOV. Plus they cost damn near 70 euros with import tariffs included. A big waste of money in my opinion. I would look for some more disposable covers for workouts like these in the link below, a friend of mine swears by them and they're very handy if you want to share the Quest with others in terms of keeping germs away.

Super cheap and there are many options similar to the ones linked, these you fasten behind your ears and then put on the headset, no FOV loss at all in my experience.

Thanks for the heads-up! Saved me a lot of moolah!
And yeah, the audio being so low persists after full shutdowns.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Dunno if you can link a review from the Oculus app to here, but I wrote one for PFX2VR:

As far as presence, this is simply incredible. I'm a pinball nut and I will never be able to go back to 2D digital pinball the same way. I understand why people are taken aback by the prices, €20 for the Universal pack is way too much and double the price of every other platform (currently €5 on Switch), but regarding the base game or some of its DLC: €5 per table is more or less the average for digital pinball.

I think PFX2 VR is worth every cent of those 15€ although maybe to entice customers they should've included a 4th table in the base package since every other version always offered 1 free table.

Too bad the game's physics are tied to PFX2's engine instead of the much better PFX3. There's 2 gfx settings, best visuals or saving battery, but there should be a third option to improve framerate (perfect 95% of the times) and have better tables gfx when you disable environmental effects which I'm sure are quite heavy: they're cool (having a shark swimming around and such) but also a novelty that wears off fast, so I wish you could focus all of Quest's power on only the tables. Physics are good, but being PFX2-based makes me vary we won't see the Williams/Bally packs which are the best of the best out there (real, awesome tables >>>>> fantasy tables IMO). PFX3's arcade and "sim" physics are both so much better... it's a pity.

That being said, there's a few fixes that the game BADLY needs:

• The ability to shift a table's height (and hopefully the ability to move it around in the virtual room too) because atm it's awful. Tables are placed super low by the default so you'll find yourself being too far from the table and having to tilt your head so much = neck strain and a good way to kickstart a migraine/neck pain.

• (Optional) virtual hands and, while keeping the flippers tied to the triggers, the ability to pull the plunger and push/knock/tilt the table "physically" with your virtual hands. It's underwhelming to use the left/right stick.

• in-game option for seated play with finely tuned tables position

• More than a mere 3 tables viewable in the arcade

• 3rd gfx setting where you can focus on framerate/gfx by disabling in-environment SFX play.

• Ability to demo a table like on other platforms

• much better haptics feedback. For real, you could make it so much better just by working those Touch motors guys! Give us a better feeling of pulling the plunger, shaking and tilting the table, working those flippers and hitting the ball! Could be awesome. Right now it's awfully bland.

I will support this game and Zen Studios but I expect improvements down the line and more DLC coming, hopefully they'll be able to work something out for the physics the Williams tables.
I'd love to see some of the devs interact with the community/customers and addressing our "wishlist", replying to even just a couple reviews would be a good start.

All in all, what is here is very good but it needs that bit of polish to make it a must-have VR game.

4 out of 5 stars

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Mac user here. Is there *any* way to watch the Gamescon event on Quest? I've become addicted to BigScreen and love watching movies with other people and talking in the lobby. Been watching E3 and Gamescon for years, and would love to do it with the right people. Twitch only has a random 'roulette' channel on BigScreen. Is there any other way to enjoy specific shared user experiences on Quest?

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Got my replacement Quest and it seems like it's pixel defect free! Time to Quest. I'm still so impressed with this thing. The tracking especially just seems like something that shouldn't be possible on a mobile chip powered by a battery. When I briefly tried an Rift S with the inside-out tracking I got the feeling it was doing some performance intensive stuff in the background on the PC to constantly track the surroundings with multiple cameras etc. But they got it working in just the headset.
Same with the home screen style 3d environment. Just seems like something they'd normally cut to free up resources but it's there. It's not just working well but also seems effortlessly.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
There is NO WAY TO RAISE THE TABLES IN HEIGHT from the floor and for whatever reason they are super low... the only way is to trick the game starting it while on your toes. Same for their position in the room, so the best way is to find the right position to start the app so that you can play it while seating on your couch, unless you want to welcome neck pain since you're forced to have your head way too tilted.

Protip - Holding down the Oculus Button on the right controller also recenters the view - so you can move forward / back, stand on your toes and hold down that button during play to better position the table. It's still a hack, but just letting you know you can adjust it this way instead of having to trick it on startup.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Protip - Holding down the Oculus Button on the right controller also recenters the view - so you can move forward / back, stand on your toes and hold down that button during play to better position the table. It's still a hack, but just letting you know you can adjust it this way instead of having to trick it on startup.

Yeah that's how I do it.
But it's still a total crapshoot because there's 0.1% chance that I'll get it right on first attempt. Still, thanks for the reply mate

Nov 8, 2017
Hey all,

I've just ordered my Quest, which should be arriving on Thursday and I'm thinking about taking it on my upcoming 11 hour flight to Japan. So with that in mind, can anyone recommend me any games that can be played sitting down without any motion? The only one I can think of is Thumper, but I already Platinumed that on PSVR.

Also I assume the Quest has an app for watching locally stored media (TV shows, movies, etc.), like the old virtual cinema thing on the Gear VR? And for that I assume there is a way to transfer my own files onto the device?

And I assume everything (games, media player) will work without any Internet connection?

Cheers

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Oculus gallery (included preloaded) and skybox app both support local playback I think. I use skybox mainly for streaming from my LAN (Plex DLNA server) because I like the theatre environment

moonsofvenus_

Aug 16, 2019
Not sure if this is okay to ask here but I couldn't find another oculus related thread,
has anybody been able to find any good, decent working headphones for the rift s/quest? I've been using some in-ear earbuds but the cable is too long so sometimes it gets caught on things :x

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is okay to ask here but I couldn't find another oculus related thread,
has anybody been able to find any good, decent working headphones for the rift s/quest? I've been using some in-ear earbuds but the cable is too long so sometimes it gets caught on things :x

you could hack up a couple of pairs of cheap earbuds to make a custom set of short ones - one for each ear (two 3.5mm sockets)

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
First time with Quest on an airplane!

I played Pinball FX-2 on my quest last night on a two hour flight and it was awesome - worked great until we started the descent, and then it was easy to pause and remove the headset. Highly recommend :D

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finally tried the Amazon Prime video viewer and.... wow. That was unexpectedly cool. Image quality, aspect ratio and the effect of the lights going down is really, really, really surprisingly cool. I could easily watch a movie like that.

Anyone got any reccs for free stuff? Searching from the Home and store seems to come up with extremely limited options. And a few things (Britiish Museum tour) simply never load for me.

I am a full rookie and have no idea what I'm doing or where to look. So feel free to be extremely reductive.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I use Bose Soundsports. Extremely comfortable and likely the best "stay in yo ear" silicone tech there is. Good sound quality, isolation from fit and built in cable management clip.

Cloneasaurus

Feb 6, 2018
I just got my Quest last night, but I have one major problem, I have a small nose and there's constant light coming in from the bottom because of that. Does anyone else have this problem? Are there any DIY fixes or accessories to get for this issue?

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone got any reccs for free stuff? Searching from the Home and store seems to come up with extremely limited options. And a few things (Britiish Museum tour) simply never load for me.

I am a full rookie and have no idea what I'm doing or where to look. So feel free to be extremely reductive.
I would strongly suggest to check out Side Quest: https://github.com/the-expanse/SideQuest
It's a tool to sideload apps on the Quest and has quite a few free games and apps available for installation. Plus it will enable you to add custom songs to Beat Saber (buy it if you haven't already, it's a ton of fun :) ), which makes the game 100x better.

senpai

Oct 28, 2017
I didnt expect ALVR would be so cool...
I have played The Lab from SteamVR, and it was very good...

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Dammit, I've bought Pinball FX2 so many times including PSVR that I'm going to have to wait and believe that sales will happen. Cool to hear it is solid.

MORE PINBALL please.

Pinball is a killer app for VR.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Dammit, I've bought Pinball FX2 so many times including PSVR that I'm going to have to wait and believe that sales will happen. Cool to hear it is solid.

MORE PINBALL please.

Pinball is a killer app for VR.

I'm really happy it's crossbuy because I bought it for the Rift so it just showed up as Free for me. Even 3 of the add-on tables were free and from what one of the reviews said you had to buy those but I certainly never did.

It looks fantastic on the Quest too, as good as the Rift version.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
I know its old at this point but Superhot is the GOAT game. I wish the quest had a built in music player so I dont have to use my phone but Superhot + Tekken music is some of the best gaming shit I have done.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I am really impressed by how good the tracking has become.
This was my number one concern in the beginning but they actually surpassed my expectations.

I just got my Quest last night, but I have one major problem, I have a small nose and there's constant light coming in from the bottom because of that. Does anyone else have this problem? Are there any DIY fixes or accessories to get for this issue?

I got a new cover from vrcover because the standard one is always soaked in sweat after my Beat Saber sessions.(the leather one doesn't soak up the sweat and can just be wiped clean, while the standard one stays wet and gets disgusting.
Nice side effect of these covers is that they are slightly puffier and shield light better. Maybe that can help you.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know its old by now but the past part of Vader Immortal is glorious. Great to fight with Darth Vader.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, props to Dash Kappei for convincing me to get Pinball FX2. I can't believe i've quadruple dipped on a lot of these tables but whatever. Hopefully supporting it helps the chances of us getting Midway tables. Hell, just release it as Midway Pinball VR if you want and charge me $20 a table, I'd freaking do it.

I'm likely done buying non-VR digital pinball. The difference is that stark. Even 4K pinball on a sub-frame-latency display just doesn't compare.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Well, props to Dash Kappei for convincing me to get Pinball FX2. I can't believe i've quadruple dipped on a lot of these tables but whatever. Hopefully supporting it helps the chances of us getting Midway tables. Hell, just release it as Midway Pinball VR if you want and charge me $20 a table, I'd freaking do it.

I'm likely done buying non-VR digital pinball. The difference is that stark. Even 4K pinball on a sub-frame-latency display just doesn't compare.

Haha, I'm really glad you're enjoying it mate.
Yep you've seen the light, going back to even TATE/Portrait mode 4k 2d pinball it's hard.
VR pinball is the closest you can get to owning a physical table in the digital space, the difference is kinda mind blowing.

It has also became one of the greatest must-do VR games to let my friends experience... and the Jaws table had a couple friends jumping left and right and almost shit themselves when the shark bit the table lol
Not really a direct link but reviews also show up on the website. Yours is on page 8.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/1995306573932043/?locale=en_US

Neat.

ZEN STUDIOS devs have replied to my review, I think it's the only one they've answered to (and pledged fixes/updates!) of the hundreds of reviews on the store?
Either way, don't care for the e-fame (lol) but the more "useful/thumbs up" my review gets, the more visibility Zen's pledge to Quest's support will get. Right now it's basically invisible, I can't check but I think it's gotten 0 (zero) "this review was useful" lol

Or at least I didn't get any notice about the review besides the devs replying to it (which is great).

Height shifting is their number 1 priority, awesome.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Finally go to trying out Virtual Desktop with SteamVR. Wow.

And with the new ability to pair a gampad, I was able to play Elite Dangerous on my sofa, in a different room to my PC, basically seamlessly. Just some visible compression on the stream.

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
Just got mine. First Impressions:

+ the Display is great
+ no motion Sickness (that's weird, I always have motion sickness after not playing vr for a while)
+ it's amazing to move freely. No cord and a bigger room to play is amazing.

- god, VR is still expansive as hell
- that's a big Problem for now: I didn't have any woah feeling. I tested Robo Recall for a Moment and (obviously) it doesn't look as good as it does on PC, but I really didn't think it's that bad. It was bad enough to kill any immersion for me. The Aliasing and everything just didn't feel like I was in the game, it felt like playing a Videogame. I really hope that's because of Robo Recall. I have to test more stuff (including streaming from PC) to decide, but right now this is a big bummer.

senpai

Oct 28, 2017
Just got mine. First Impressions:

+ the Display is great
+ no motion Sickness (that's weird, I always have motion sickness after not playing vr for a while)
+ it's amazing to move freely. No cord and a bigger room to play is amazing.

- god, VR is still expansive as hell
- that's a big Problem for now: I didn't have any woah feeling. I tested Robo Recall for a Moment and (obviously) it doesn't look as good as it does on PC, but I really didn't think it's that bad. It was bad enough to kill any immersion for me. The Aliasing and everything just didn't feel like I was in the game, it felt like playing a Videogame. I really hope that's because of Robo Recall. I have to test more stuff (including streaming from PC) to decide, but right now this is a big bummer.

try vader, red matter, exorcist legion vr

Cloneasaurus

Feb 6, 2018
I got a new cover from vrcover because the standard one is always soaked in sweat after my Beat Saber sessions.(the leather one doesn't soak up the sweat and can just be wiped clean, while the standard one stays wet and gets disgusting.
Nice side effect of these covers is that they are slightly puffier and shield light better. Maybe that can help you.

Thanks for the suggestion! Just ordered one, I hope this will do the trick.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Real VR Fishing is very, very good. There are also bunch of Quest titles coming up soon such as Last Labyrinth

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't tried pinball in br yet but it suddenly clicked reading these impressions why that would be especially impressive. A bit like the magic moment when Prime Video dims the theater lights and your brain goes WHOA WTF

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Just wanted to plug the Tribe XR DJ school on Quest. the 1:1 simulation of DJ equipment is awesome. Also, I think i'm starting to get into the the MMO OrbusVR. It's actually a fully featured game.