• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Just wanted to post a quick note for anyone using Virtual Desktop - if you, like me, have been having issues with reprojection occurring seemingly at random make sure you uncheck the MSAA setting from within the VD menus. I've had it checked the whole time and through troubleshooting tried turning it off, seems I'm no longer running into any problems streaming No Man's Sky.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm ready to buy a cover.

I don't want cotton pads, cotton is terrible, it soaks everything up but does a terrible job with evaporation as opposed to retention (we really need proper synthetic fabric covers, soon).

So I guess PU material and padding (I'll wipe it off with alcohol wipes when it gets sweaty). If it helps reduce the light leakage around the nose, bonus.

So VR Covers or is there another alternative?

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I guess Oculus Connect starts tomorrow. What kind of Quest need are we hoping for?

Personally I'm pretty happy with the Quest content so far. I really just want to see some game sales so I can buy more. I'd even be happy enough with some of those bundle deals.

Would love to see Google Maps VR and Gorn come to the Quest though. Tetris VR too I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess Oculus Connect starts tomorrow. What kind of Quest need are we hoping for?

Personally I'm pretty happy with the Quest content so far. I really just want to see some game sales so I can buy more. I'd even be happy enough with some of those bundle deals.

Would love to see Google Maps VR and Gorn come to the Quest though. Tetris VR too I guess.

I'm hoping for an official announcement on PC streaming support myself.

That's all I really need actually.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Oculus Link was just announced at OC6, allows you to use your Quest as a Rift using a USB cable. Super excited!

EDIT: Holy shit and hand tracking on current Quests!

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some amazing feature

go compatibility : will hum heck some good apps and game. A lot of game are available on both platform and are cheaper on gO

Passthrough + : finally we can see our surrounding on demand ! Welcomed feature

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I don't have a gaming PC so Link - while awesome - won't be for me. But Passthrough + is an incredibly welcome surprise!

And Beat Saber 360 this December!

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone confirm that you are still able to switch accounts on the quest by sideloading an app that allows you to access the Gear store?

senpai

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching John Carmack's annual 90 minute ramble.

Loved it. So excited to see the future of VR 5 years from now, knowing how little time it took to get to the Quest. In 2012, Carmack was showing Giant Bomb his headset with literal duct tape holding it all together. What a ride so far.

Any VR tinkerers in here? I kind of want to try my hand at developing some basic applications with their native sdk.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just got my Quest last night, but I have one major problem, I have a small nose and there's constant light coming in from the bottom because of that. Does anyone else have this problem? Are there any DIY fixes or accessories to get for this issue?

It's awful.
Personally I've been getting around it by lighting the room with only the UV lamp I use in my resin curing box when I can. It's pretty dark to the eye but the tracking cameras love it. An IR lamp would be even darker.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Just nabbed the DAS and the 3D Printed parts for my FrankenQuest. I'm so excited to assemble this bad boy! Won't I still need a D Ring? If so, is there any specific size, or are they all mostly the same size?

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

teated impressions of oculus link - sounds amazing but the demos were using special cables I think - but no noticeable latency or compression artefacts

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Just nabbed the DAS and the 3D Printed parts for my FrankenQuest. I'm so excited to assemble this bad boy! Won't I still need a D Ring? If so, is there any specific size, or are they all mostly the same size?

Most people use D Rings. I didn't. And I would recommend against them to avoid having metal dig into your scalp.

Here's my particular method:

As you can see in the second picture, there's no D ring on mine. I had some straps lying around the house that I'd previously purchased from Home Depot:

These straps were the perfect width and I just cut it to length. The real magic is where that orange stitching is. That strap kind of folds over on itself and the orange stitching is what fastens it together. I strategically cut one end of my strap just south of where all that stitching is. So on one end of my strap, it's really thick on the end. It's too thick (on that end) to pass through the rod mechanism on the Quest. I can tug as hard as I can, and I won't be able to pull it through (thanks to the strategic place I cut it). And then on the other end, I just attached high strength Velcro tape and attached it to the Velcro on the DAS strap. Simple. Cheap. Comfortable.

P.S. The DAS Frankenmod lives and dies with a counter-weight. Either Velcro a battery pack or 200 grams of something onto the back. It's the rigid design and that counter-weight which removes the weight from your face.

teated impressions of oculus link - sounds amazing but the demos were using special cables I think - but no noticeable latency or compression artefacts

I'm considering doing a recap of Carmack's keynote (cause there was TONS of great info... technical and anecdotal). But this first stage thing they're rolling out, it's only using 150Mb/sec (yes, megaBIT). That cable is about comfort and forward compatability (if they ever get Qualcomm to give access to the Venus video processor and start using full USB-C bandwidth). Fun fact: If John could access the Venus video processor directly and write micro code for it, he believes it would have lower motion to photon latency than Rift S (OLED advantages play a large role in that).

Last edited:

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Most people use D Rings. I didn't. And I would recommend against them to avoid having metal dig into your scalp.

Here's my particular method:

As you can see in the second picture, there's no D ring on mine. I had some straps lying around the house that I'd previously purchased from Home Depot:

These straps were the perfect width and I just cut it to length. The real magic is where that orange stitching is. That strap kind of folds over on itself and the orange stitching is what fastens it together. I strategically cut one end of my strap just south of where all that stitching is. So on one end of my strap, it's really thick on the end. It's too thick (on that end) to pass through the rod mechanism on the Quest. I can tug as hard as I can, and I won't be able to pull it through (thanks to the strategic place I cut it). And then on the other end, I just attached high strength Velcro tape and attached it to the Velcro on the DAS strap. Simple. Cheap. Comfortable.

P.S. The DAS Frankenmod lives and dies with a counter-weight. Either Velcro a battery pack or 200 grams of something onto the back. It's the rigid design and that counter-weight which removes the weight from your face.

Thank you so much for all of this! I do have my Anker 10000PD battery that I have been using as a counterweight this entire time and it has been such a huge help, so I'm excited to throw that on the DAS once that arrives soon. Do you use VRcover for your DAS, or the original padding?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

Not special cables, it was using the one Oculus will be selling, which to be fair is specially designed to work best for this application since it's fiber optic, long and thin but you can use any USB 3 cable. Long ones are hard to find however, the Oculus one is 15 feet.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you so much for all of this! I do have my Anker 10000PD battery that I have been using as a counterweight this entire time and it has been such a huge help, so I'm excited to throw that on the DAS once that arrives soon. Do you use VRcover for your DAS, or the original padding?

LOL

It's frankenstonian to the extreme. If you're talking about the back of the DAS, I had an extra one of those grey seatbelt cushions (that you see in the pictures). I completely unfold that and just put that up against the back of my head for some extra cushioning.

Also, I started seeing some posts on Reddit about how since there's no pressure on your face (when properly counter-balanced), that you don't really need a face cushion. Just a forehead cushion. Then I started seeing people raving about how they attached a 6mm Vive face cushion to the glasses spacer and just used that for their face plate. I had a spare 6mm Vive cushion and a spare Vive VR cloth cover so I gave it a shot. The clarity bump was awesome. And it also increased the FOV (like the Vive benefited). The main purpose of that Vive VR cloth cover is it loosely pushes against my face to block out the light (that would otherwise bleed in from a 6mm face cushion that's been chopped up).

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
LOL

It's frankenstonian to the extreme. If you're talking about the back of the DAS, I had an extra one of those grey seatbelt cushions (that you see in the pictures). I completely unfold that and just put that up against the back of my head for some extra cushioning.

Also, I started seeing some posts on Reddit about how since there's no pressure on your face (when properly counter-balanced), that you don't really need a face cushion. Just a forehead cushion. Then I started seeing people raving about how they attached a 6mm Vive face cushion to the glasses spacer and just used that for their face plate. I had a spare 6mm Vive cushion and a spare Vive VR cloth cover so I gave it a shot. The clarity bump was awesome. And it also increased the FOV (like the Vive benefited). The main purpose of that Vive VR cloth cover is it loosely pushes against my face to block out the light (that would otherwise bleed in from a 6mm face cushion that's been chopped up).

Haha, that's awesome! Yeah, I have the VRcover front cushion on mine and it made a WORLD of difference with comfort. Now, I just need the straps and adjustment system to be replaced with the DAS for really help. I'm also trying to put on lens adaptors for prescription lenses so that I can stop wearing contacts for VR. By the way, how well does the DAS hold the headset when working out?

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Vader Immortal 2's Dojo is god tier. I loved it in part 1 but with force powers added its next level.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, that's awesome! Yeah, I have the VRcover front cushion on mine and it made a WORLD of difference with comfort. Now, I just need the straps and adjustment system to be replaced with the DAS for really help. I'm also trying to put on lens adaptors for prescription lenses so that I can stop wearing contacts for VR. By the way, how well does the DAS hold the headset when working out?

With the ratchet, it can be as secure as you want. Obviously, tighter = more pressure & less comfort. So I don't tighten anymore than the current activity requires.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to look into a frankenmod.

I tried to use my quest the other day for the first time in a while, and just could not get any level of comfort at all.

And between Virtual Desktop and the upcoming official link thingy, I can't see my Vive getting much use out of the DAS.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I really need to look into a frankenmod.

I tried to use my quest the other day for the first time in a while, and just could not get any level of comfort at all.

And between Virtual Desktop and the upcoming official link thingy, I can't see my Vive getting much use out of the DAS.

It's so easy to do and totally worth it. It's pricy, but if it extends my play time, I'll throw in the money.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Checked out the store for the first time in a while in hopes of an OC6 sale or new releases and left disappointed. I want to love this device so much but the software library and pricing is still not there for me, so it doesn't get much use.

Oct 25, 2017
Vader Immortal 2's Dojo is god tier. I loved it in part 1 but with force powers added its next level.

Only played through the first dozen levels, but yeah, it's crazy how the force powers not only makes you feel like you have to focus on the objects you want to pull/push, but adds to the intensity and coolness of it all. They nailed it with this one.

I want a full Star Wars VR game from these guys vs these mini episodes.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up a Quest today. Loaded up some custom Beat Saber songs (I had some trouble early but I got it eventually), and thought eh, why not do Gangham Style.

I was trying to figure out how to do a part of the song because it didn't seem possible. Then I literally just...did the dance, and it worked.

I was laughing so hard. This is incredible.

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Picked up a Quest today. Loaded up some custom Beat Saber songs (I had some trouble early but I got it eventually), and thought eh, why not do Gangham Style.

I was trying to figure out how to do a part of the song because it didn't seem possible. Then I literally just...did the dance, and it worked.

I was laughing so hard. This is incredible.
Some of those custom song charters do an awesome job. Shake it off is another good one that has you doing some "dance" moves.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Only played through the first dozen levels, but yeah, it's crazy how the force powers not only makes you feel like you have to focus on the objects you want to pull/push, but adds to the intensity and coolness of it all. They nailed it with this one.

They're really onto something with the combat in this game, hoping the next episode lets you duel Vader. It'd be pretty cool if the dojo for 3 was just fighting a bunch of sith and jedi from the movies.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Is the like the dojo in the first game, but just more involved? Or is there still reason to place the first game?

Llamasoft bought a Quest to evaluate.

One of these days, LOL. I've been waiting forever for Polybius and MaV1 to be compatible with Vive. I occasionally check in and noticed the massive delay was because Giles redid their engine from the ground up. I guess MaV1 is now complete, but Minter wants to wait until Polybius is also finished before releasing the updates.

But now? Since Quest Link will be using the Oculus SDK, I could play it on Steam using that.

But... not gonna lie, native Quest would absolutely be my preferred platform for this.

Oct 25, 2017
Is the like the dojo in the first game, but just more involved? Or is there still reason to place the first game?

Yeah, there's more to do as you can interact with the environment with your force powers. However, I believe I'm halfway through the levels and I haven't come across any other dojo environments where the first one had 3. That's a shame, but it's way more fun than the first one. I'm not sure I'd take the time to go back to the first dojo often, if at all.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I just ordered a Quest once I saw the new about Oculus Link. My first VR headset, can't wait to try it out. Only thing I think I'm gonna miss is trying out Google Earth VR until this Oculus Link thing is out. I have a strong PC but I wanted to be able to take the device to friends' houses and not just tether it to my PC. Link will give me the best of both worlds I think.

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I think the Link is a great idea but I wonder if it is mainly targeted for new purchasers instead of those of us that already have a Quest. It seemed like many Quest purchasers including myself chose to go with a Quest because we didn't have a PC capable of VR. The Link doesn't change that.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Vader Immortal II dojo is so much fun. Totally feel like a bad-ass Jedi now that you have force powers and can throw your saber.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I just ordered a Quest once I saw the new about Oculus Link. My first VR headset, can't wait to try it out. Only thing I think I'm gonna miss is trying out Google Earth VR until this Oculus Link thing is out. I have a strong PC but I wanted to be able to take the device to friends' houses and not just tether it to my PC. Link will give me the best of both worlds I think.

It won't be as clear as what the Link provides but you may want to give Virtual Desktop a shot while you wait, I've been using it off and on for wireless PCVR streaming to my Quest and the quality is a lot nicer than you'd expect. Google Earth VR is actually one of the first things I tested on it and was surprised by how good it looked given it was just streaming over my home network. If you don't want to shell out the $20 for Virtual Desktop there's also ALVR that also does PCVR streaming to Quest, but you'll need to sideload that. Well actually you need to sideload Virtual Desktop's PCVR streaming capability as Oculus had them remove it from the store build, but it's a fairly easy process using the latest version of SideQuest (FYI you can get ALVR off SideQuest app as well): https://github.com/the-expanse/SideQuest/releases

To be clear you first need to purchase Virtual Desktop in the Quest store if you're going that route, and once that's installed then you sideload the PCVR streaming patch off SideQuest (PC app).

Hope that was helpful :)

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
It won't be as clear as what the Link provides but you may want to give Virtual Desktop a shot while you wait, I've been using it off and on for wireless PCVR streaming to my Quest and the quality is a lot nicer than you'd expect. Google Earth VR is actually one of the first things I tested on it and was surprised by how good it looked given it was just streaming over my home network. If you don't want to shell out the $20 for Virtual Desktop there's also ALVR that also does PCVR streaming to Quest, but you'll need to sideload that. Well actually you need to sideload Virtual Desktop's PCVR streaming capability as Oculus had them remove it from the store build, but it's a fairly easy process using the latest version of SideQuest (FYI you can get ALVR off SideQuest app as well): https://github.com/the-expanse/SideQuest/releases

To be clear you first need to purchase Virtual Desktop in the Quest store if you're going that route, and once that's installed then you sideload the PCVR streaming patch off SideQuest (PC app).

Hope that was helpful :)

Yes, very! I should have the device tomorrow and I'm really excited to try it out. My friend was raving about trying some Rift games and I've been looking into devices for a while but I didn't want a device tethered to a PC. Reading about the Link just made it an obvious choice for what I need so I'll be excited for that.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I recently picked up a Quest. I owned a Vive back when that launched for a few months before selling it and I had the PSVR for a little while before selling that too. Both of these had issues which the Quest doesn't.

For me, I hate cables - if there's a cable I want there to only be 1 and fairly thin and light. The Vive had a chunky breakout cable and then the two sensors with their power cables made it ungodly for me. The PSVR headset was just way too low resolution for me and seemed blurry all the time.

I would say using the Quest looks around the same if not a little same in terms of resolution sharpness to the Vive. I also love that the quest is standalone. No sensor. Nothing. I've played all the demos and installed some free software. I also tried Skybox VR which is a nice way to see movies in VR and watch some cool 360 video. Game wise I really enjoyed the Beat Saber and Journey of the Gods demos.

Next I'm going to mostly wait until the Oculus Link is out so I reach that 1 cable limit I love so much. I already have some Oculus titles that I briefly played in Revive many years ago which I look forward to revisiting. I also have some SteamVR games which I hope will work with Oculus Link too.

Overall, I've heard some people complain about the Quests quality from the resolution to front heaviness. I think the displays are sharp and down right beautiful at times and the weight seems lighter than the Vive to me. I know others have complained about the 72hz thing too but I have a hard time seeing the increase in frame rates above 60 so when I play it just looks really smooth to me. I've had friends do tests showing me 30, 60, 100 & 144 FPS all next to each other and I could see a massive difference between 30 and 60 but 100 and 144 just seemed marginally smoother but not much to me. 60 seems to be that sweet spot for me that looks really smooth. So the Quest is perfect for me so far. I'm just hoping the Oculus Link lets me play everything I want to from the Oculus app on my PC and upcoming games as well as my SteamVR games.