• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I recently picked up a Quest. I owned a Vive back when that launched for a few months before selling it and I had the PSVR for a little while before selling that too. Both of these had issues which the Quest doesn't.

For me, I hate cables - if there's a cable I want there to only be 1 and fairly thin and light. The Vive had a chunky breakout cable and then the two sensors with their power cables made it ungodly for me. The PSVR headset was just way too low resolution for me and seemed blurry all the time.

I would say using the Quest looks around the same if not a little same in terms of resolution sharpness to the Vive. I also love that the quest is standalone. No sensor. Nothing. I've played all the demos and installed some free software. I also tried Skybox VR which is a nice way to see movies in VR and watch some cool 360 video. Game wise I really enjoyed the Beat Saber and Journey of the Gods demos.

Next I'm going to mostly wait until the Oculus Link is out so I reach that 1 cable limit I love so much. I already have some Oculus titles that I briefly played in Revive many years ago which I look forward to revisiting. I also have some SteamVR games which I hope will work with Oculus Link too.

Overall, I've heard some people complain about the Quests quality from the resolution to front heaviness. I think the displays are sharp and down right beautiful at times and the weight seems lighter than the Vive to me. I know others have complained about the 72hz thing too but I have a hard time seeing the increase in frame rates above 60 so when I play it just looks really smooth to me. I've had friends do tests showing me 30, 60, 100 & 144 FPS all next to each other and I could see a massive difference between 30 and 60 but 100 and 144 just seemed marginally smoother but not much to me. 60 seems to be that sweet spot for me that looks really smooth. So the Quest is perfect for me so far. I'm just hoping the Oculus Link lets me play everything I want to from the Oculus app on my PC and upcoming games as well as my SteamVR games.
If you have a PC that is able to play VR games and a good router I would recommend just putting down the $20 on virtual desktop and streaming the games to the quest. Streaming to the headset is very good (for me at least) I can play stuff like Gorn just fine streaming to the quest.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
If you have a PC that is able to play VR games and a good router I would recommend just putting down the $20 on virtual desktop and streaming the games to the quest. Streaming to the headset is very good (for me at least) I can play stuff like Gorn just fine streaming to the quest.
I'll have to look into it for sure. See the best ways to set it up and check out some videos too.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I've had VR since the Rift CV1 and Vive launches (I had both) but I don't think a game has given me as much sense of presence as Red Matter. There is just something in the way you scan stuff to translate it, sometimes using one hand and sometimes both to manipulate objects and using the flashlight. Just as a whole I really feel like I'm exploring a real place. The graphics are fantastic for a Quest title as well. I'm not that far into the game yet but so far it's been well worth buying.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Got £15 credit from oculus for being a go user and buying quest stuff that presumably will be cross buy when they enable go compatibility

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I played some Vader Immortal and just watched some videos and stuff. It was really awesome. I'm going to look into that Virtual Desktop setup. Any other "must try" things?

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
I played some Vader Immortal and just watched some videos and stuff. It was really awesome. I'm going to look into that Virtual Desktop setup. Any other "must try" things?
SUPERHOT and Beat Saber are the two games I've enjoyed the most with my Quest. Google's Tilt Brush is pretty impressive too, though it takes a bit to get used to the controls.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I tried the Virtual Desktop streaming setup tonight. I was pleasantly surprised. While it's not perfect, it is very passable for streamed wireless VR. If I turned the video quality up to "insane" within the app it was crystal clear and very sharp but you could see latency issues and black areas in the headset as it streamed the video when you moved around. I ended up setting most things to medium and it looked pretty damn good and if I hadn't just set it up I wouldn't have known it was being streamed from my PC.

While I do think the overal implementation of Oculus Link will be better (and it's over a cable) I think you'll be hard pressed to have another wireless VR headset look this good and keep a consistent quality while streaming from a PC. I was expecting to only want to use this Virtual Desktop implementation of playing PC VR games until the Oculus Link was released but I can see myself using this in the future when I want to go fully wireless with just a small drop in quality.

What have others experienced been like with streaming from your PC to the Quest? For me it was pretty seemless and pretty much just worked. I don't think I spent more than 10mins before I was in the SteamVR tutorial/sound stage demo within my Quest.

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
Also tried my hand at wireless steamVR with Virtual Desktop today. And I was mildly said blown away that this worked as good as it did.
I even tried stuff like synth riders and fully expected it to be nearly unplayable but instead I managed to complete expert difficulty songs with it.
So yeah I will definitely keep using that for a while when I want to play some PC VR games!

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Got the DAS put on and MY GOD what a difference! With the counterweight (battery) and VR cover, the Quest feels so damn good.
0wx7pvJ.jpg

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
So, I have some questions as I am getting very tempted to get a Quest for Beat Saber.

I have the PSVR and Vive. I've owned the regular Rift.

I no longer have space to use the Vive where my computer is situated so that's out. I have to sell it. The PSVR is too much of a hassle due to no HDR pass through and I've really soured on the drifting of the headset and tracking issues with the moves. As well as no sticks on the moves which really limit your movement options in games. The wireless nature of the Quest seems VERY appealing.

The Rift controllers were pretty much perfect when I had them. So my question is, how good is the controller tracking on the Oculus Quest when not using any external sensors? Compared to:
Vive with lighthouses
PSVR with PSEye Cam
Rift with two sensors

Thanks for any impressions.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
So, I have some questions as I am getting very tempted to get a Quest for Beat Saber.

I no longer have space to use the Vive where my computer is situated so that's out. I have to sell it. The PSVR is too much of a hassle due to no HDR pass through and I've really soured on the drifting of the headset and tracking issues with the moves. As well as no sticks on the moves which really limit your movement options in games. The wireless nature of the Quest seems VERY appealing.

The Rift controllers were pretty much perfect when I had them. So my question is, how good is the controller tracking on the Oculus Quest when not using any external sensors? Compared to:
Vive with lighthouses
PSVR with PSEye Cam

Rift with two sensors

I can't speak on the Rift with two sensors as the Quest is my first Oculus headset, but I have owned a Vive and PSVR in the past.

I would say the Quests controller tracking is surprisingly good, to the point that I'd say it is AS GOOD as the Vive with lighthouses. I haven't seen any delay, lag or 'confused tracking' at all. It's been smooth and the controllers are a delight to use. I personally had issues with the PSVR and move controllers, where they would jump and jitter around at times - they were the most sub-optimal experience in terms of tracking but worked for most applications of hand tracking on PSVR when I needed it.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
I can't speak on the Rift with two sensors as the Quest is my first Oculus headset, but I have owned a Vive and PSVR in the past.

I would say the Quests controller tracking is surprisingly good, to the point that I'd say it is AS GOOD as the Vive with lighthouses. I haven't seen any delay, lag or 'confused tracking' at all. It's been smooth and the controllers are a delight to use. I personally had issues with the PSVR and move controllers, where they would jump and jitter around at times - they were the most sub-optimal experience in terms of tracking but worked for most applications of hand tracking on PSVR when I needed it.

Just what I was looking for, thanks! I am very happy with the tracking of the Vive controllers so hearing the Quest is comparable sounds perfect for me.

How are you finding download sizes for most Quest games. Do you pretty much need the 128GB version? Any of the official accessories which you regret not getting?

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Just what I was looking for, thanks! I am very happy with the tracking of the Vive controllers so hearing the Quest is comparable sounds perfect for me.

How are you finding download sizes for most Quest games. Do you pretty much need the 128GB version? Any of the official accessories which you regret not getting?

64GB is currently fine for most games. Its possible sizes will increase but so far thats a safe option.

No official accessories. But for comfort you may start looking at things like a third party face cover or things to make the straps more comfortable. YMMV

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England

64GB for me was fine, purely because I know I'm also going to get the Oculus Link cable and play a lot of my PCVR catalogue. There's only a handful of games on Quest itself that I'll have downloaded to the headset.

I actually picked up one of the official accessories, the Oculus Quest Travel Case, it's awesome. Really compact, sturdy and I store my headset in it when I'm not using it.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

Vive with lighthouses
PSVR with PSEye Cam
Rift with two sensors

I only played with the vive with lighthouses a little, but aside from a rare loss of tracking if you are moving around really close to your head the quest has been nearly perfect for me.
compared to the PSVR it's WAY better. I lost tracking every few songs on beat saber on the psvr, I almost never lose tracking on the quest and even if it does lose tracking it recovers almost instantly unlike PSVR which could take a bit or even get stuck in an off position.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Oculus just sent me three games for free on quest that I'd bought on Go previously - Ultrawings, Pinball FX2 and Virtual Virtual Reality.

Not bad on top of the credit they've given me.

Definitely recommend Virtual Virtual Reality and Ultrawings

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
today i tried the latest ALVR Version and what can i say... it works soo freaking good.
i was looking forward to oculus link but now i dont even need this anymore.
Wireless all the way.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
today i tried the latest ALVR Version and what can i say... it works soo freaking good.
i was looking forward to oculus link but now i dont even need this anymore.
Wireless all the way.

Carmack's keynote was interesting because there were several times when he seemed to imply he thought their optimizations would probably benefit Virtual Desktop/ALRV. Obviously he couldn't name them specifically, but nobody muzzles Carmack and it certainly seemed as though he was making reference to these programs (without naming them specifically). So it'll be interesting to see if these programs benefit any.

Oct 30, 2017
Between Drop Dead and Death Horizon, which would you guys suggest? I am feeling like an October themed game this weekend and I am not yet sure about Dreadhalls.

It is funny, I constantly bemoan the fact that most of the cool shooters on PCVR are military shooters but on quest, it would be nice if one of them were to surprise drop.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Facebook/Oculus is starting to crack down on mods on Quest and I think its an extremely bad idea.

If you have enabled Developer Mode, and we believe you have misused the platform, including if it appears you have done any of the following: Uploaded, distributed, or sideloaded any of the following: Content that appears to be infringing, copied, or pirated; or Content that contains malicious code; or Mods of applications available on or through our platform that appear to infringe on third party's intellectual property rights, introduce malicious code, give players an unfair advantage, or are otherwise not approved; or Used software or other tools to extract assets or content (videos, music, etc.); or Violated other Oculus Terms of Service, Code of Conduct, or other Oculus policies. Then we may, without limiting any other rights and remedies available to us (including any other rights to terminate or suspend your account or access to the Services), elect to do any or all of the following: Warn you that your conduct has violated our policies; Limit, suspend, disable your Developer Mode; Limit or ban your access to certain Oculus platform features; Suspend, terminate or ban your Oculus user account; Ban you from creating or registering any new or additional Oculus accounts; and/or Refer you to law enforcement. We may, in our sole discretion, elect to take any or all of the actions above based on our assessment of your actions or violation(s), and provide or not provide a warning prior to taking action, as we deem appropriate. We may elect, in our sole discretion, to skip any warning or any other lesser action and/or to take any other approach to enforcement of our policy that we deem to be appropriate.

Immediately this led the developer of BeatOn, a tool to put custom track into BeatSaber on Quest, to end the project.

Considering how crucial mods are to the success and creativity of VR content, this is a terrible move that considerably lowers the appeal of the Quest if you ask me.

Edit: Oops, beaten.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
For all of you lucky Questers who are getting PC compatibility next month and have a PC, make sure to check out the PCVR Game Discussion thread to see whats going on. There are a lot of awesome games and hidden gems, but also a sea of mediocre games to avoid, so don't be afraid to ask if you're looking for a particular type of game.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
my Quest must be buggy then, because I can't hear shit thru the speakers

I've heard complaints before (about the stock speakers too... which are also loud as fuck on mine). It's clearly a bug Facebook needs to fix. I assumed they had since I've heard about this since launch.

I once had my Quest crash and when I rebooted, it was super quiet. I had to crank up the volume (and accept the "you may damage hearing with this volume") just to get it loud enough to drown out the fan. But that's the only instance where my volume level has ever been broken. Went back to normal the next restart.

For the past 2+ months, I have had to disable Guardian in dev mode, or else my Quest will constantly crash to the home screen (if I've been staring ahead for a while and abruptly turn). So I'm not totally bug free:(

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought "hey, let's try skyrim VR via ALVR".

2 hours later and I'm killing guards with my super jump two swords attack like a madman.

Setting ALVR to 100mbit stream I just can't noticed that this is not native on the quest. Looks even better than on my PSVR.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Special shout-out to just how awesome 3D movies are in Quest. I watch them with the default settings in Skybox and IMO Quest is worth it for this feature alone.

It's hilarious reading 3D movie reviews as some sort of guide. Utterly useless. The two biggest sites that actually do 3D, seem to have reviewers that actually hate 3D and enjoy telling you how shitty the format is. LOL. I get special satisfaction out of a review that raged about how awful it was and how unnecessary it was, and then have it be absolutely amazing on my virtual Imax screen with God-tier contrast/black levels and with zero issues of ghosting, black crush, dimmed colors, etc. Dark scenes + 3D + Quest = Special. In a good way.

It's a shame that the new Fandango app seems to require you use Oculus TV. That environment is awful compared to Skybox.

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
Special shout-out to just how awesome 3D movies are in Quest. I watch them with the default settings in Skybox and IMO Quest is worth it for this feature alone.
Yeah, totally! I started collecting and ripping 3D blu rays just to watch in Skybox on my Quest. I would love for them to add "multiplayer " over LAN so I can watch them with my family.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
What is the recommended method for watching 3d movies on quest?
Also, what is the recommended method of ripping 3d movies to be viewed on quest? :)

Oct 25, 2017

I'd have to invest in a blu-ray reader for my PC to get this to work. Is there any free content out there (maybe YouTube) that would be recommended to check out before making that purchase?

I've never really been that crazy about 3D movies, but I also have never checked them out in VR and wonder if that would change my perspective.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I'd have to invest in a blu-ray reader for my PC to get this to work. Is there any free content out there (maybe YouTube) that would be recommended to check out before making that purchase?

I've never really been that crazy about 3D movies, but I also have never checked them out in VR and wonder if that would change my perspective.

The problem with Youtube would be the crap bit-rate. 3D really benefits from a high quality feed. If the image is muddy, the 3D is going to suffer a lot.

The Fandango app has some rentals for 3.99. Only problem is I haven't actually tried them. So I can't vouch for what kind of streaming quality they are. And you have to use Oculus TV. The darkly lit, 100 foot screen of Skybox >>>>>> the brighly lit, 100 inch screen of Oculus TV.

If you're thinking of renting one, shoot me a list of titles you're considering. I'll probably be able to give you a general ranking of which have the best 3D quality in general. There can be a wide variance. Stars Wars 7, for example, is much better than Star Wars 8 IMO (although neither is on Fantago... just using that as an example of how much variance there is).

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Youtube would be the crap bit-rate. 3D really benefits from a high quality feed. If the image is muddy, the 3D is going to suffer a lot.

The Fandango app has some rentals for 3.99. Only problem is I haven't actually tried them. So I can't vouch for what kind of streaming quality they are. And you have to use Oculus TV. The darkly lit, 100 foot screen of Skybox >>>>>> the brighly lit, 100 inch screen of Oculus TV.

If you're thinking of renting one, shoot me a list of titles you're considering. I'll probably be able to give you a general ranking of which have the best 3D quality in general. There can be a wide variance. Stars Wars 7, for example, is much better than Star Wars 8 IMO (although neither is on Fantago... just using that as an example of how much variance there is).
the only free VR video I found on youtube that wasn't complete garbage was

and that's because it's 2d so the lower quality doesn't hurt it as much.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
I should have done this sooner, I had the materials this entire time :O

h1HbApp.jpg

The battery I'm using is no longer available on Amazon, but it's a generic Vive wireless adapter battery.
The cable ties are here. No adhesive involved. I like that they have loops so you can ratchet them tightly.

I was expecting the pressure of the battery on the back of my neck to be uncomfortable, but it's actually really comfortable. It''s not pressing against any bone, and it's essentially distributing pressure more evenly across a larger surface than the strap alone.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
Nice work. Are you using any cable to connect the battery with the HMD while wearing it? the included cable is way too long for that.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
The 1 foot braided right-angle cable came in today. There's barely enough slack for taking the headset off/on, so I'm concerned it'll wear out the ports. If anyone knows of a 13-inch version hahah....

3Ni47q6.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
the only free VR video I found on youtube that wasn't complete garbage was

and that's because it's 2d so the lower quality doesn't hurt it as much.

This was pretty cool to check out, but 360 is not 3D.

I checked out a few 3D trailers. While I get the quality is not the same, I just can't get into 3D. It looks cool, but also fake. I don't know how to describe it, but some scenes just don't look right.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
This was pretty cool to check out, but 360 is not 3D.

I checked out a few 3D trailers. While I get the quality is not the same, I just can't get into 3D. It looks cool, but also fake. I don't know how to describe it, but some scenes just don't look right.
you are correct it's not 3D which is why I called it a VR video and 2D in my post :P

I was mostly stating it was the only video I found on youtube worth watching with my VR set. everything else just looked bad lol.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any updates on multiple profiles/users? I would like to show this to friends, but it'd be nice if I could create a guest account or whatever to do so.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
That Half-Life port is really coming along nicely. I haven't tried it because of motion sickness issues, but Dr. Beef said he's looking into adding a tunnel vision option for those prone to motion sickness. So fingers crossed.

Also: Superhot and Dance Dance Central both have demos now.

Oh, and in the latest Virtual Desktop thread on Reddit, the creator said he's now working on implementing his own versions of fixed fovated rendering and sliced rendering . So we should expect some nice performance improvements in the future.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
The LambaVR1 mod has added a comfort mode. It's pretty crude (an adjustable black box around your vision when moving), but it makes the game playable (I suffer motion sickness otherwise). In case anyone is going to load it up and is using the HD textures mod, here's the order of things:

1.) Load up the game.
2.) Start up a game and create a manual save.
3.) Exit
4.) A config file will now be created in the HL_Gold_HD folder.
5.) Restart your Quest to have it show up in File Explorer.
6.) You can now edit the config file. I need it less aggressive than the .75 (lower is less blockage), but I haven't settled on how much lower yet.

The head crabs had me on edge. Little bastards do not sound nice in VR. I jumped a couple of times from them.

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
Now that quest has go support does anyone have a back up apk for the free blade runner demos? I've read on reddit that revelation works

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Started streaming SteamVR stuff to my Quest through Virtual Desktop and I'm kind of amazed this works as well as it does.

I'll still get a link cable it's awesome being able to play PC VR games untethered.