• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Alright I just played ~30 min of Pistol Whip and damn is that an awesome game.

Took me a bit to get into the groove of things, and I'm still frequently dying even on Easy, but I'm looking forward to mastering this over time!

On the 2nd or 3rd song, where it starts with the dude facing away from you, that's where the game really clicked for me - where it's rewarding you for intentionally not shooting certain dudes and....pistol whip them instead. And the way they made it line up with the music is just fantastic!

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought Pistol Whip over the weekend and couldn't put it down for hours. I didn't expect to love it so much or for it to involve so much movement, so I was sore for a while afterwords lol.

I think it might be one of my favorite VR games, honestly. I prefer it to Beat Saber, and I think the mechanics are some of the cleverest I've seen in a rhythm game ever. Just completely blindsided me.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Tried my USB 2.0 A-to-C cable (on case's 3.0 port and board's 3.1 gen 2 port) and didn't seem to work with Link. And while it said charging, it didn't seem to keep up. (Power pack had no problem keeping Quest at 100% until drained.)

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
I just tried it with a short 3 foot USB 3 cable I had lying around. This is the real deal! Not only am I not seeing artifacts at all but it actually looks way better than my CV1 due to the better screen on the Quest.

I'm even using a 980ti which isn't on the supported list and it works. I will say I had an issue with Medium which was the first thing I tried after being in Oculus home where it was super super slow and the picture was all warped. After that I tried Wolves in the Walls which was fine and then Stormlands which was fine. Tried Oculus Medium again it was flawless so I don't know what happened the first time.

Overall I'm SUPER impressed. The only issue is going to be having a cable long enough.
I have a 980ti so that's good to know.

And no artifacts? Any latency? I've been suspecting the slightly doom and gloom comments the other week were just an attempt to liquidate the Rift S (half joking).

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
Recently bought a quest and bought beat saber, pistol whip and super hot. Super hot is great, beat saber is a lot of fun, but pistol whip is on another level!

mancan

Banned
Mar 29, 2018
Sooo the link is amazing works exactly like any other pc headset. I've see no artifacts and experienced no latency. Honestly the quest is the only headset worth getting as a consumer. Its a almost perfect device.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
Sooo the link is amazing works exactly like any other pc headset. I've see no artifacts and experienced no latency. Honestly the quest is the only headset worth getting as a consumer. Its a almost perfect device.

Which cable are you using? I've ordered one for delivery today, but if that doesn't work then I'll be looking at a shorter one with an extender.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried streaming steam games?

I've played the Steam version of Pinball FX 2 VR on it. Even for a latency sensitive game like pinball, Quest + Link cable > Vive for me.

The only real downside to Quest as your PC HMD is it's uncomfortable unless modded and there's the occassional oddball game that had it physics hard-coded to the 90hz refresh rate of the Vive/CV1. This has caused issues with Rift S (80hz) and Index (running in 120/144hz). It remains to be seen if those games would recode to not break at 72hz. I wouldn't let this be a deciding factor, but there are some questionably programmed games out there. I think Eleven: Table Tennis is currently broken because of this.

Last edited:

RandomTiger

Oct 26, 2017
I've played the Steam version of Pinball FX 2 VR on it. Even for a latency sensitive game like pinball, Quest + Link cable > Vive for me.

The only real downside to Quest as your PC HMD is it's uncomfortable unless modded and there's the occassional oddball game that had it physics hard-coded to the 90hz refresh rate of the Vive/CV1. This has caused issues with Rift S (80hz) and Index (running in 120/144hz). It remains to be seen if those games would recode to not break at 72hz. I wouldn't let this be a deciding factor, but there are some questionably programmed games out there. I think Eleven: Table Tennis is currently broken because of this.

Cool, thanks for the info, I'm going to try and borrow a Quest to try this out with my long Vive extension cable. The Quest's higher res and ease of setup with Vive game library (even excluding broken refresh rate) games is an exciting prospect.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 980ti so that's good to know.

And no artifacts? Any latency? I've been suspecting the slightly doom and gloom comments the other week were just an attempt to liquidate the Rift S (half joking).

I didn't test it long enough to give you a definitive answer because it was uncomfortable using such a short cable but from the 5 or so minutes I played around with it it looked perfect to me. I wouldn't even know it was streamed.

I ordered a 10 foot cable, the Anker one, and it should be here tomorrow or Thurs. Anxious to have a longer play session.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone able to recommend a cable that works with Link that's at least 15 ft? I gotta try this but I want to be able to chill on the couch.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Anyone able to recommend a cable that works with Link that's at least 15 ft? I gotta try this but I want to be able to chill on the couch.

You'll have to try a powered extender + 10 foot cable. Or wait for the fibre cable.

One person on Reddit says they got this powered extender to work:

Explanation:

• USB 3.0 can't make it > 10 feet unless you either boost the signal or convert it to light.
  • Boosting the signal means a big inflexible cable with a thicc connector because it's basically a cable with a 1-port hub built inside of it.
  • If you're lucky your USB 3.x port is powerful enough to power the boosted ("active") cable
  • There's some even beefier ones that use a wall wart power supply; more likely to work, less convenient. Still thicc.
  • Once you successfully extend a USB 3.x signal with an active cable you can typically still add the 10 feet of thinner, passive cable to the end.
  • Converting to light will make the signal go quite far, but these cables are expensive industrial-only models unless you're waiting on the official 16 footer at only $79. No, really, it's a bargain; it's thin because fiber but still contains some copper so that charging still works (photons aren't good at charging batteries; well, not good enough in this application).

Last edited:

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't find a USB 3.0 A=>C cable that worked in my house. Went out and bought a 6 ft Anker one Target and got it working. I was able to use a 3.0 extension cable I bought for my CV1 and that works fine also. Honestly, I have to try really hard to see any artifacts from the compression, it's quite impressive. Think it's time now to retire my CV1 and take down the unsightly sensors. Going from 90Hz to 72Hz sucks for sure, but the lens and resolution upgrades make up for it. Despite the extra heft, I still find the Quest more comfortable to use for long sessions - my CV1 produces more heat and having my face hot and sweaty is the worst. Hopefully they fix the mic not working and the finicky headset sound switching.

I've been taking a wait and see approach to upgrading the headphones. Besides the Vive DAS Frankenquest mod, what other options are out there? Anyone have a mod and/or set of headphones they really like?

I might start playing more with custom Oculus Home objects again. They've recently added the ability to resize the objects you import, and that's super exciting. If anyone here is a fan of Demon's Souls, feel free to check out the Nexus:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't find a USB 3.0 A=>C cable that worked in my house. Went out and bought a 6 ft Anker one Target and got it working. I was able to use a 3.0 extension cable I bought for my CV1 and that works fine also. Honestly, I have to try really hard to see any artifacts from the compression, it's quite impressive. Think it's time now to retire my CV1 and take down the unsightly sensors. Going from 90Hz to 72Hz sucks for sure, but the lens and resolution upgrades make up for it. Despite the extra heft, I still find the Quest more comfortable to use for long sessions - my CV1 produces more heat and having my face hot and sweaty is the worst. Hopefully they fix the mic not working and the finicky headset sound switching.

I've been taking a wait and see approach to upgrading the headphones. Besides the Vive DAS Frankenquest mod, what other options are out there? Anyone have a mod and/or set of headphones they really like?

I might start playing more with custom Oculus Home objects again. They've recently added the ability to resize the objects you import, and that's super exciting. If anyone here is a fan of Demon's Souls, feel free to check out the Nexus:

The only time I've really been able to spot compression is when a scene jumps cuts to something completely different. For a tiny fraction of a second, you can tell it's flushing what was there and needed to completely rebuild your view. It's only noticable if you're looking for it and completely irrelevant though. If you weren't technically proficient, you'd probably never even notice what was happening.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Vader Immortal series FREE for Quest purchase between Nov 21st and Jan 31 2020

"If you're looking to buy a Quest this holiday season, Oculus is giving away all three episodes of the Emmy-nominated series Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series—normally costing $29.97—for free with the purchase of an Oculus Quest headset between November 21st and January 31st."

So... that's all we should expect for Quests on BF?

ece.gif

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
It would appear so. I imagine business is about to pick up with Oculus Link so why drop price( I'm imagining this is the behind the scenes thought process).
Yeah. I mean, they probably got me regardless, so yeah. Dammit. Nothing against VI, but man, I would much rather have had a $25 coupon across the whole store I could put towards something like Asgard's Wrath.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Vader Immortal series FREE for Quest purchase between Nov 21st and Jan 31 2020

"If you're looking to buy a Quest this holiday season, Oculus is giving away all three episodes of the Emmy-nominated series Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series—normally costing $29.97—for free with the purchase of an Oculus Quest headset between November 21st and January 31st."

Looks like you have to buy a Quest directly from Oculus?

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it's already been discussed, but man, quest link works amazingly. Pulled up Google Earth VR (something I've always wanted to try) and bam, loads up and works flawlessly.

I'm sure ignorance is bliss, since I've never used anything nicer than a PSVR, but to me, it looks and works great.

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the link is legit. Played Tetris effect last night and it was great. Briefly jumped into No Man Sky but couldn't remember how to do anything. But quality looked good.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it's already been discussed, but man, quest link works amazingly. Pulled up Google Earth VR (something I've always wanted to try) and bam, loads up and works flawlessly.

I'm sure ignorance is bliss, since I've never used anything nicer than a PSVR, but to me, it looks and works great.

Honestly, if you're coming from CV1 or Vive, even then it's still better. So it's not even an ignorance is bliss thing. Unless you're someone who's physically bothered by the refresh rate, Quest with link is a significant upgrade.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
Any recommendations of cables for Oculus Link in Europe? 3-5m would be nice. It can be a cable+extender.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Just discovered the data cable I got off Amazon awhile back for sideloading to the Quest works with Link, that was a pleasant surprise and pretty painless setup. Also got an extender which should get here tomorrow.

Tried a bit more of Virtual Desktop's latest update, tested out Chronos this time and the stream quality was flawless to my eyes, though I did see a bit of the black borders do that wobbly thing when turning my head side to side, though the IQ wasn't affected, framerate seemed to drop a bit but I think that's less my connection and more my system struggling. Definitely time for an upgrade especially with Boneworks coming out soon.

One quirk others may have experienced is when I disconnected my Quest from my PC via Link it showed the 'not enough light/no tracking' message and reverted to 3dof once clearing the message. I had to restart it to get 6dof working again. Something I expect to be ironed out once its out of beta unless it was a one off issue or something having to do with my cable or general setup.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah. I mean, they probably got me regardless, so yeah. Dammit. Nothing against VI, but man, I would much rather have had a $25 coupon across the whole store I could put towards something like Asgard's Wrath.

I hear ya. In my case the Vader series was going to be my first purchase so it's a YMMV thing. Generally, some kind of voucher system would have been ideal.

Looks like you have to buy a Quest directly from Oculus?

I don't see anything expressing that, though I am curious as to how they're tracking when people buy them if bought from a third party( serial number I suppose?). I'm in the UK( just moved here) and as best I can tell my main choices are John Lewis, Currys or amazon. I'm giving it a few days to get some feedback.

Edit: not sure if I can link Reddit stuff here but Oculus support have a few posts on the Quest sub Reddit saying that where you buy it is irrelevant, just make sure you don't activate before Nov 21st.

Last edited:

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
My cable and extender should arrive today, hopefully they both work. They were recommended by someone who has tried them so fingers crossed..

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Loving the Link functionality, it will definitely get me using the quest more again. Booted up some elite tonight and played a whole bunch of Defense Grid 2 last night.

Has anyone here tried a counterweight mod? I have come to the conclusion that the headset is super uncomfortable and I need to do something about it so have been looking at suitable power banks. I already have VR cover leather replacements but think a lot of the issue is the weight at the front. Was wondering if anyone had any tips for changes that have worked for them??

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Loving the Link functionality, it will definitely get me using the quest more again. Booted up some elite tonight and played a whole bunch of Defense Grid 2 last night.

Has anyone here tried a counterweight mod? I have come to the conclusion that the headset is super uncomfortable and I need to do something about it so have been looking at suitable power banks. I already have VR cover leather replacements but think a lot of the issue is the weight at the front. Was wondering if anyone had any tips for changes that have worked for them??
I haven't really had a problem with the weight of it, except when I'm looking straight down I can feel it sag a bit. For mobile power, I replicated this setup using an old phone holster and a power pack, plus a 1.5' USB cable. My case/power pack aren't quite as big as this, and all together it's probably half a pound added. Looks a little ugly, but when I'm wearing it, I really don't notice. Power cable goes under my headphones' band.

From the link (not my pic):
20190526_213841-013238553832580727185.jpeg

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I've started using my Quest a lot more and man I need something as a counterweight, the headset is too heavy and I got severe neck pain after using it for a few workout sessions...

Anyone else? Best solution is still the powerbank on the back "mod"? Don't care about having the longer battery. No 3rd party solution for sale?

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Have they (Oculus) given any indication of making a multiple profile system for one account so for when you have guests try it out? I feel like that's a major oversight that should have been addressed quickly.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
My extender came in today and initially the Quest didn't recognize the connection but a reset did the trick, though I found that while sitting I have to try to be as still as possible or it keeps disconnecting, it seems the cable I have connected feels a bit wobbly plugged into the Quest and I assume that's the culprit, and I read a post off the Quest subreddit from someone using the recommended Anker cable having the same issues. Not an issue while using when standing but gets disconnects while sitting. Curious if anyone else is experiencing this and/or ideas for workarounds. Thinking I might need a right angle connector though not sure which one would work with Link. Anyone found a right angle cable or connector that works with Link and is stable during seated use, and if so Amazon link?

Last edited:

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
Is the official Quest case worth it or is there a better alternative?
The official Quest case is great if you don't plan to bring a lot of other stuff along with your quest, or if you want the case to fit in a backpack. Basically, its really streamlined and doesn't have a tone of extra room, but it rocks for what it is.

In mine, aside from the quest and touch controllers, I have earbuds, a headband, and the small vzfit controller and rotational sensor and its all good.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
The official Quest case is great if you don't plan to bring a lot of other stuff along with your quest, or if you want the case to fit in a backpack. Basically, its really streamlined and doesn't have a tone of extra room, but it rocks for what it is.

In mine, aside from the quest and touch controllers, I have earbuds, a headband, and the small vzfit controller and rotational sensor and its all good.
Thanks, yeah that's all I really need to carry.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
My extender came in today and initially the Quest didn't recognize the connection but a reset did the trick, though I found that while sitting I have to try to be as still as possible or it keeps disconnecting, it seems the cable I have connected feels a bit wobbly plugged into the Quest and I assume that's the culprit, and I read a post off the Quest subreddit from someone using the recommended Anker cable having the same issues. Not an issue while using when standing but gets disconnects while sitting. Curious if anyone else is experiencing this and/or ideas for workarounds. Thinking I might need a right angle connector though not sure which one would work with Link. Anyone found a right angle cable or connector that works with Link and is stable during seated use, and if so Amazon link?

That's the cable I'm using and I've only done seated VR with it.

That cable is very thick and rigid (and fits in very tightly on the USB-C side). I have seat belt cushions (for babies) on my top strap. I just velcro that cushion open, slide my cable inside of that, and it's snuggly routed into place on top of my head. Then I use that locked in position to create a large loop in my cable so the plug slides nicely into the port with zero pressure. The fastening by the cushion, and the thick rigid cable being molded into a pretty inflexible loop, allows all the stress to escape the port area.

I posted pictures of my setup on reddit, but got nasty replies on both occasions about how fucking ugly my Quest was. So fuck it. I hope they all break their ports with their pretty setups that are routed like shit.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

That's the cable I'm using and I've only done seated VR with it.

That cable is very thick and rigid (and fits in very tightly on the USB-C side). I have seat belt cushions (for babies) on my top strap. I just velcro that cushion open, slide my cable inside of that, and it's snuggly routed into place on top of my head. Then I use that locked in position to create a large loop in my cable so the plug slides nicely into the port with zero pressure. The fastening by the cushion, and the thick rigid cable being molded into a pretty inflexible loop, allows all the stress to escape the port area.

I posted pictures of my setup on reddit, but got nasty replies on both occasions about how fucking ugly my Quest was. So fuck it. I hope they all break their ports with their pretty setups that are routed like shit.

This is tremendously helpful, thanks!

Coverly

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't really had a problem with the weight of it, except when I'm looking straight down I can feel it sag a bit. For mobile power, I replicated this setup using an old phone holster and a power pack, plus a 1.5' USB cable. My case/power pack aren't quite as big as this, and all together it's probably half a pound added. Looks a little ugly, but when I'm wearing it, I really don't notice. Power cable goes under my headphones' band.

From the link (not my pic):
20190526_213841-013238553832580727185.jpeg

Thanks for that. I got what I needed from your post and it should be arriving tomorrow.

I got the quest today. I had an original Rift but I had sold that a year ago and wow at the difference in visual quality. It's just so much better.

How front heavy almost killed the experience though. People were not kidding, it was very uncomfortable. Did a temporary fix though, I used a water bottle holder (the type you strap on to a backpack) and with a regular water bottle strapped it to the back... it really was like a perfect counterweight lol. Night and day difference on that one. I think I'll keep the water bottle fix, I don't think the battery coming in will be heavy enough by itself. I'll just strap it to a more permanent position.

So being back after a year+ from vr I really like that I can just go to youtube and sign into my account to watch my playlists or have the 360 videos just play. I remember not being able to do that way back and it really bugged me.

For games I got Orbus Reborn right off the bat. It was my favorite game on the rift. The vader promotion seems to be automatic, it was ready for me to dl.

I want to get other games, but I'll wait for the sales. I would really like Moss and some others but this should be enough for now.

Anyways, just wanted to say that no cables is amazing and I didn't expect the visual quality to be so good.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I have picked up the studioform deluxe strap, a counterweight strap and Spectrashell earphones.

Determined to make the quest a bit more comfortable before HL:Alyx comes out.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
May 30, 2018
Does anybody have any recommendations for games to buy in the Humble sale (or others for that matter)?

Just got my Quest yesterday, so I'm ready to dig in. Really especially looking for anything that isn't available natively on the Quest - so basically anything I can only play through Link. Anything that's also native to the Quest I'd rather get on the Quest store for the convenience factor even if it's a bit more expensive. I'm gonna wait until Black Friday in case the Quest store has any sales on stuff like Superhot and Beat Saber, even though it seems unlikely.

Last edited: