• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to buy a Quest soon, excited to jump into VR!

I'm still trying to decide between 64GB (£400 here) and 128GB (£500). I keep deciding on one capacity and then overthinking it and flipping to the other, haha. "I don't really need 128GB if the game install sizes are all fairly small" vs "I don't want to spend £400 and then end up with buyer's remorse in a year or so because I should have just spent the extra for more storage". I've also read that The Climb is likely to have a large install size, so if true could that be the start of more games requiring a larger amount of storage? I wish there was a way to use the USB-C with a memory stick for additional storage, which would alleviate this concern entirely.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I guess we can assume that most of the DAS supply is officially gone. Prices are getting pretty stupid. The MS Outlet store had spent the past 6 months selling it for 74.99 on Ebay and now prices are 150+. HTC should have revved their production line back up. It's their one product people actually want right now.

As of yet there have been zero sales on Quest Store. I hope something will happed for Black Friday, or at least for Christmas.

I'm hoping for some BF sales. There's going to be a ton of new buyers getting Quests for Christmas. Given their policy so far, I find it hard to believe they're going to be welcomed with Christmas sales. It'll send these new users the "wrong" message on software pricing. They're clearly trying to train us to pay full price (although I'm not good with training, so I'm mostly a holdout on purchases).

Does anybody have any recommendations for games to buy in the Humble sale (or others for that matter)?

Just got my Quest yesterday, so I'm ready to dig in. Really especially looking for anything that isn't available natively on the Quest - so basically anything I can only play through Link. Anything that's also native to the Quest I'd rather get on the Quest store for the convenience factor even if it's a bit more expensive. I'm gonna wait until Black Friday in case the Quest store has any sales on stuff like Superhot and Beat Saber, even though it seems unlikely.

The Croteam bundle on Steam is always one of the best deals out there. It's been getting 90+ percent discounts the last couple sales. It's a crazy amount of content for an insane price (and the locomotion options are crazy good). That's usually the best bundle out there, but I think it's Steam exclusive.

Anything that required locomotion, I'd wait for on Steam actually (unless you have an iron stomach). Especially with VR, that return policy is very useful.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I've had issues with SteamVR in the past with my Rift, something to do with the Display Port to HDMI adapter that I use causing handshake issues. I've had nothing but success with the Quest and Link combo though. It's good enough that I'm seriously considering retiring my Rift as the benefits of inside out tracking and the better display mean that my Rift is essentially redundant.

Oculus knocked it out of the park with this.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
So this will work with HL: Alyx, yeah?

First foray into VR because of Valve, and I don't want to spend a grand on the Index lol

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody have any recommendations for games to buy in the Humble sale (or others for that matter)?

Just got my Quest yesterday, so I'm ready to dig in. Really especially looking for anything that isn't available natively on the Quest - so basically anything I can only play through Link. Anything that's also native to the Quest I'd rather get on the Quest store for the convenience factor even if it's a bit more expensive. I'm gonna wait until Black Friday in case the Quest store has any sales on stuff like Superhot and Beat Saber, even though it seems unlikely.
I would buy something off greenman gaming that has a 5+ on it from their black friday sale (if you can find something that interests you but even the cheapest 5+ game is likely worth buying and giving away the code for the VR games)
in the 5 free games there are 5 VR games
arizona sunshine (which is supposed to be a good zombie shooter)
Sprint Vector (decent sprinting game)
Star Trek bridge crew (fun with friends)
Killing floor VR
and uh...... I don't remember what the last one was lol.

more games will be added to the sale with the +5 later but personally I got forger (which is not VR)

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018

I'm still trying to decide between 64GB (£400 here) and 128GB (£500). I keep deciding on one capacity and then overthinking it and flipping to the other, haha. "I don't really need 128GB if the game install sizes are all fairly small" vs "I don't want to spend £400 and then end up with buyer's remorse in a year or so because I should have just spent the extra for more storage". I've also read that The Climb is likely to have a large install size, so if true could that be the start of more games requiring a larger amount of storage? I wish there was a way to use the USB-C with a memory stick for additional storage, which would alleviate this concern entirely.

I purchased at launch & would thoroughly recommend the smaller model. Most games are only a few GB, I am sitting with over half of my space left still and in the worst case in the future...everything is re-downloadable. As always your own mileage may vary but I think the £100 would be better put towards some earphones or a case perhaps.

So this will work with HL: Alyx, yeah?

First foray into VR because of Valve, and I don't want to spend a grand on the Index lol

Yes, it has been confirmed to be supported on the HL:Alyx website. Plus all the steam games I have tried so far have worked fine.

May 30, 2018
The Croteam bundle on Steam is always one of the best deals out there. It's been getting 90+ percent discounts the last couple sales. It's a crazy amount of content for an insane price (and the locomotion options are crazy good). That's usually the best bundle out there, but I think it's Steam exclusive.

Anything that required locomotion, I'd wait for on Steam actually (unless you have an iron stomach). Especially with VR, that return policy is very useful.

awesome, i will keep an eye on it when the steam sale rolls around. i wish i could wishlist bundles :-/

I would buy something off greenman gaming that has a 5+ on it from their black friday sale (if you can find something that interests you but even the cheapest 5+ game is likely worth buying and giving away the code for the VR games)
in the 5 free games there are 5 VR games
arizona sunshine (which is supposed to be a good zombie shooter)
Sprint Vector (decent sprinting game)
Star Trek bridge crew (fun with friends)
Killing floor VR
and uh...... I don't remember what the last one was lol.

the last one was Rock Band VR - i just bought a year of PS+ redeemed all 5 of those. thanks!

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, wow. That's a lot more interesting than the last time they did something like this. Think you only got one of the VR games.

Is there anywhere that lists all the +5 games? The reddit post I'm looking at is clearing missing some. And I tried just going through the list and GMG threw me a security alert capcha test after the second page (about 20 games in... LOL).

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, wow. That's a lot more interesting than the last time they did something like this. Think you only got one of the VR games.

Is there anywhere that lists all the +5 games? The reddit post I'm looking at is clearing missing some. And I tried just going through the list and GMG threw me a security alert capcha test after the second page (about 20 games in... LOL).
So the number of +5 games right now isn't that long. should be in the link I had, but more should be added in a few days.

luckily i think i have my Xbox Rock Band 4 game + guitar still new in its box. i literally never opened that. seems like a good reason to now!
I forgot about rock band vr because I already got it for free from the last time they did this as it wasn't included in the original deal but like 2 months after they emailed me with a "WE BROKE SO MANY USERS GET MORE GAMES FOR FREE" and it was on the list.

I did the last one for Raw Data buying Fisherman's tale to get it :P

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
The Under Presents is a pretty interesting mashup of a few different gameplay concepts. There's the initial hub area where you meet other players with the same floating avatar as you and organically figure out mechanics together through gestures and experimentation, and then there's a central area that without spoiling too much has a series of avant garde theater type performances that play out while you continue to interact with others in the gesture based, non verbal method mentioned before. The other part is a somewhat non linear exploration of a story happening aboard a boat that lets you explore different character's narrative arcs as you follow them around the ship. You piece the story together, can rewind or fast forward time in a particular chapter etc. It's pretty similar to the VR game The Invisible Hours in that regard where you'll need to go back to catch everyone's story. I'm only on the first chapter of the boat story but really curious to see how the social aspects will potentially collide with that portion as it progresses. Definitely one of the more unique titles available. Highly recommended for those looking for something story focused and different mechanically.

edit: Also apparently there's actual live actors that will interact with players in the hub area from time to time, one person on reddit mentioned someone with a human avatar that was speaking to them (haven't heard anyone with the floating ones talk) in a bar area and showed them how to interact with things. Haven't encountered this for myself yet. Makes you wonder what sort of cost is involved having on duty actors being within a VR game at certain times. I knew about the old live standup comedy shows they'd have in Altspace VR but this is something else entirely. Kind of the start of virtual theme park actors "suiting up" so to speak for the park guests :P

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Decided to set the Quest up again now that Link is out, it's been months since I last touched out (mostly to let a friend of mine play Superhot VR, which was a blast as usual). Am I correct in saying that there is no way to force your Quest to update its software, you just have to let it sit there and hope it figures it out on its own? I'm trying to get the latest version of the OS and apparently I'm way back on 3.x when the current version is 11.x. Oops.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Decided to set the Quest up again now that Link is out, it's been months since I last touched out (mostly to let a friend of mine play Superhot VR, which was a blast as usual). Am I correct in saying that there is no way to force your Quest to update its software, you just have to let it sit there and hope it figures it out on its own? I'm trying to get the latest version of the OS and apparently I'm way back on 3.x when the current version is 11.x. Oops.

It is something they have actually added in the newer firmware. You can now force a manual update in the settings however if you are still on an older version I don't believe it is possible (might be worth checking the app as well to be sure though).

If you can't find anything in the app the best thing to do is reboot and then leave on charge.

Link is pretty awesome though, it is worth getting it updated.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
you are both correct an incorrect.

the october update added the ability to check for updates and force updates. before that though you just needed to hope.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
It is something they have actually added in the newer firmware. You can now force a manual update in the settings however if you are still on an older version I don't believe it is possible (might be worth checking the app as well to be sure though).

If you can't find anything in the app the best thing to do is reboot and then leave on charge.

Link is pretty awesome though, it is worth getting it updated.
you are both correct an incorrect.

the october update added the ability to check for updates and force updates. before that though you just needed to hope.

Thanks, I'll just let it do its thing then. Any idea how long I should wait before checking?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I tried the link and other than a few hitches it worked wonders... but you know the thing that made me giddy? Oculus Home. When I realized I could make the background a futuristic city scape... It was... amazing. So utterly amazing.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I am still conflicted on which to buy. I don't care much about the need for wireless so I could go for the Oculus rift s for the comfortable factor and having an ipd of 63. However, my wife's ipd is 58 which might not be good for her using the rift S. This is a tough decision.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
So I tried the link and other than a few hitches it worked wonders... but you know the thing that made me giddy? Oculus Home. When I realized I could make the background a futuristic city scape... It was... amazing. So utterly amazing.

That's my favourite one too. I will literally just sit there on the balcony sometimes and pretend I'm in in my cyberpunk future apartment. It's really cool.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Guess the dream isn't dead?

Also interesting. The leaked logs on Firmware 12 already tells us we're getting options, but I guess this explains why it shipped in such a basic form:

They wanted user data at more conservative settings. Wonder how high they'll let us output the resolution?

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Just tried the Link today; it's amazing that this was just a free update to a device I purchased without any promise of PC connectivity.

My takeaway: PCVR games look WAY better than their Quest counterparts. The gap is bigger than I thought it would be (played Robo Recall both ways back to back). However, the wire is driving me nuts; wireless is so much more immersive. I'm still undecided on the tradeoff between good graphics/physics and the wire.

Obviously, some games don't have the option to be played on the Quest, and just being able to play them is huge. Trying to decide what PCVR exclusive games I should try now (while waiting for Half-Life: Alyx).

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone used Viveport Infinity and can comment on whether you thought the subscription was worth it? I noticed it's down to £5 a month (if paid annually) for Black Friday.

The Quest will be my first VR headset, so being able to have access to "Netflix for VR games" via Link is appealing.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
% chance we'll get some BF discount on the Oculus store for Quest software? 0%? 😆😭

I have the smaller model, I wish I had the bigger one but just for one reason, virtual cinema, because games are all just a few gigs.

As I was saying imo only reason to get the bigger model is if you're into using VR Cinema at top quality.
I have a few movies in lossless 4K 10bit SDR and they look AMAZING (all things considering).

I wish NETFLIX enabled 4K streaming on OC, instead of fucking 720p...

but we're talking 20 to 35GB for 2,5hours long movies and only if you get rid of all the audio options bar English (or what have ya) in DTS/DD.

Having to always deleted a movie before being able to load a new one is a bit of a pain in the ass, and even then you can have just a few games on top of a movie.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Just tried the Link today; it's amazing that this was just a free update to a device I purchased without any promise of PC connectivity.

My takeaway: PCVR games look WAY better than their Quest counterparts. The gap is bigger than I thought it would be (played Robo Recall both ways back to back). However, the wire is driving me nuts; wireless is so much more immersive. I'm still undecided on the tradeoff between good graphics/physics and the wire.

Obviously, some games don't have the option to be played on the Quest, and just being able to play them is huge. Trying to decide what PCVR exclusive games I should try now (while waiting for Half-Life: Alyx).

Have you tried Virtual Desktop's PCVR streaming? Best of both worlds imo. I may not be the best judge of latency and artifacting from streaming but for my eyes the general IQ and latency is very good using this compared to Link. As others have said Link is definitely faster but I can't really tell much of a difference in the image between the two. I played SkyrimVR using it the other day and was impressed by just how clear even further away details were such as the fog on mountains and the stars in the night sky. Best $20 I've spent on the Oculus store (the Quest one) :)

On a related note I was futzing around with the Oculus Home environments (PC client) and was pretty impressed by the quality of the decorative assets. Being able to visit other users' home spaces is a pretty great feature too.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
% chance we'll get some BF discount on the Oculus store for Quest software? 0%? 😆😭

I have the smaller model, I wish I had the bigger one but just for one reason, virtual cinema, because games are all just a few gigs.

As I was saying imo only reason to get the bigger model is if you're into using VR Cinema at top quality.
I have a few movies in lossless 4K 10bit SDR and they look AMAZING (all things considering).

I wish NETFLIX enabled 4K streaming on OC, instead of fucking 720p...

but we're talking 20 to 35GB for 2,5hours long movies and only if you get rid of all the audio options bar English (or what have ya) in DTS/DD.

Having to always deleted a movie before being able to load a new one is a bit of a pain in the ass, and even then you can have just a few games on top of a movie.
Thanks!

I actually ended up impulse ordering a 64gb last night. I think it'll be fine though because I tend to stream films on Netflix most of the time, and I heard rumours of being able to use the USB-C to connect external storage for media eventually, which should help if I do find myself watching more locally stored films.

I do hope though like you said that Netflix bump up the resolution.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else just played A LOT more VR with the Quest now that it's a PCVR set too?

It's pretty great, and there's plenty of good (older) stuff to try out that people may have missed. For those that haven't tried it don't sleep on Chronos, it's gamepad only but still one of the most polished and beautiful looking games in VR. Made by the dev of Remnant: From the Ashes, and the lore and parts of the world cross over between the two games, though Chronos doesn't have shooting like the former, it's strictly a melee third person Souls-like. Decent length too. Gorgeous art direction.

I STILL need to play Lone Echo. Hoping for a sale soon.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks!

I actually ended up impulse ordering a 64gb last night. I think it'll be fine though because I tend to stream films on Netflix most of the time, and I heard rumours of being able to use the USB-C to connect external storage for media eventually, which should help if I do find myself watching more locally stored films.

I do hope though like you said that Netflix bump up the resolution.

If you have a good network, you can probably stream locally too (from computer or media server). I used to have issues streaming media files that were 10GB/hour (would get a stutter periodically), but after I upgraded my network for Virtual Desktop, even that size plays flawlessly for me.

I've never tried anything at 15 or 20GB/hour, but I'm not a fan of file sizes that large anyway. Too easy to trim the fat and get more on a hard drive.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
If you have a good network, you can probably stream locally too (from computer or media server). I used to have issues streaming media files that were 10GB/hour (would get a stutter periodically), but after I upgraded my network for Virtual Desktop, even that size plays flawlessly for me.

I've never tried anything at 15 or 20GB/hour, but I'm not a fan of file sizes that large anyway. Too easy to trim the fat and get more on a hard drive.
Awesome, thanks for this, that's another option I have then. Looking forward to getting the Quest, it should hopefully be delivered to store tomorrow and then I can get it set up.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Have you tried Virtual Desktop's PCVR streaming? Best of both worlds imo. I may not be the best judge of latency and artifacting from streaming but for my eyes the general IQ and latency is very good using this compared to Link. As others have said Link is definitely faster but I can't really tell much of a difference in the image between the two. I played SkyrimVR using it the other day and was impressed by just how clear even further away details were such as the fog on mountains and the stars in the night sky. Best $20 I've spent on the Oculus store (the Quest one) :)

On a related note I was futzing around with the Oculus Home environments (PC client) and was pretty impressed by the quality of the decorative assets. Being able to visit other users' home spaces is a pretty great feature too.
Do you know of a good resource for PCVR via Virtual Desktop? Does it work with SteamVR, or just Oculus? I'm interested in how to set it up and get it going.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Do you know of a good resource for PCVR via Virtual Desktop? Does it work with SteamVR, or just Oculus? I'm interested in how to set it up and get it going.
I don't quite follow what you are asking, but at the very least virtual desktop works through steamVR. amusingly enough you have to use another program to trick your computer into thinking your oculus quest is an oculus rift so you can play stuff on the oculus store :P

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I played more of The Under Presents and while initial impressions were glowing I feel a bit more mixed now that I'm towards the end of the game. The social aspects are fantastic and the cooperative portions is its strongest suit but wish there were more of these instances, they feel a bit at odds with the narrative portion, though maybe once I reach the ending this theme will coalesce into something more coherent towards the larger plot. You do see how lack of teamwork and effective communication kind of isn't the greatest thing for the characters in the story, but beyond that we're strictly in surrealist territory with the coop segments, one example:
you munch on an onion as a reward for completing one puzzle, and it has a severed finger inside (which you can eat).
So prepare for the unexpected in those areas lol.

My issues stem from the narrative portion that's broken up into different chapters, and you can rewind or fast forward these. You're on a ship with different crew members, and to help locate where some of them are you can utilize a model sized view of the ship where you're supposed to be able to see where a crew member is located at whichever point you're at on the chapter's timeline. You can wave your hand over the ship to see a cross section view to better locate which floor/room a certain character is on. The issue here is it often isn't easy to make out a character's location if they're not outside the interior. The cross section view creates a distorted ripple effect that obfuscates visual clarity resulting in a squinty game of 'find the crew member'. There also doesn't seem to be a way to pause the flow of time when you're on foot so you're sort of running around the area trying to find the next conversation between characters in an attempt not to miss anything. A better method of identifying where characters are and a much needed pause feature while walking around the environment are sorely needed here. The Invisible Hours (a non linear VR murder mystery similar in design) had a pause like this, and so should The Under Presents for general ease of use.

For chapters to complete and unlock the next one for viewing it seems you have to be in a certain general area aboard the ship, and if you aren't in this location you have to play the chapter from the beginning again. This wouldn't be so bad if it didn't whisk you back to a hub outside the story environment where you have to go walk back to a spot just to select the chapter all over again. The irony here is the coop segments are timed and usually give auditory cues that you're about to run out of it, so it'd be a little more user friendly if that could've been applied to the story segments to maybe give you the opportunity to bring up the clock to rewind the timeline and figure out where you need to go to properly complete it. Sorta feels like extra padding to the game length in this way.

I think they should've gone all in on the coop gameplay and unique interactivity there and done the story portion as a separate release, the two are just too at odds with each other design wise and compared to Virtual Virtual Reality (their previous game) it doesn't blend the gameplay with the story elements nearly as deftly as the latter.

Last edited:

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
I don't quite follow what you are asking, but at the very least virtual desktop works through steamVR. amusingly enough you have to use another program to trick your computer into thinking your oculus quest is an oculus rift so you can play stuff on the oculus store :P
haha, that's nuts. I thought you needed to do some trickery just to get SteamVR to work with a Quest via Virtual Desktop. Sounds like that may be fairly straight forward.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
haha, that's nuts. I thought you needed to do some trickery just to get SteamVR to work with a Quest via Virtual Desktop. Sounds like that may be fairly straight forward.
minor trickery.
you need to buy virutal desktop and then set your quest into developer mode and connect it to a computer to use sidequest on it to push a modded version of virtual desktop on there.

after that though it's rather straight forward, have the VD client on your computer running, open VD, connect to your computer and start steam VR and boom it's going.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

If you mean how to set it up it's pretty breezy, just buy VD on the Quest store, then sideload the update that enables PCVR streaming from your PC off of Sidequest (you can find VD in the apps section of Sidequest). You can get that here: https://sidequestvr.com/#/download

You'll also need the desktop streamer app for VD which is here: https://www.vrdesktop.net/

Also make sure you have dev mode enabled on your Quest to allow sideloading of apps:

• In the Oculus app (phone app), select Settings in the lower right corner;
  • Tap on the button corresponding to your Oculus Quest to perform the pairing;
  • In the contextual menu that pops up select "Other settings"
  • In the new settings window that comes to your screen, select Developer Mode;
  • Click on the slider to activate the developer mode;
For general troubleshooting I'd recommend just searching the Quest or Oculus subreddit. Plenty of issues I've run into that I've found solutions to there. Or you can ask here :)

Hope that helped!

edit: Oh I forgot to mention Revive which is needed to play Oculus store games over SteamVR: https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/releases

You install that on top of everything else and then when you long press the left Touch controller menu button down after launching SteamVR in Virtual Desktop you'll see the SteamVR menu shell pop up in the headset, and you should see a "Revive" button along the bottom alongside the Steam one. Select this to view and launch the Oculus games. It's kind of a pain in the ass middleman solution but unfortunately necessary thanks to Oculus.

Last edited:

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty great, and there's plenty of good (older) stuff to try out that people may have missed. For those that haven't tried it don't sleep on Chronos, it's gamepad only but still one of the most polished and beautiful looking games in VR. Made by the dev of Remnant: From the Ashes, and the lore and parts of the world cross over between the two games, though Chronos doesn't have shooting like the former, it's strictly a melee third person Souls-like. Decent length too. Gorgeous art direction.

I STILL need to play Lone Echo. Hoping for a sale soon.
I've just been playing A LOT of Pavlov on Halo maps hahaha

20191124153008_1.jpg

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
If you mean how to set it up it's pretty breezy, just buy VD on the Quest store, then sideload the update that enables PCVR streaming from your PC off of Sidequest (you can find VD in the apps section of Sidequest). You can get that here: https://sidequestvr.com/#/download

You'll also need the desktop streamer app for VD which is here: https://www.vrdesktop.net/

Also make sure you have dev mode enabled on your Quest to allow sideloading of apps:

• In the Oculus app (phone app), select Settings in the lower right corner;
  • Tap on the button corresponding to your Oculus Quest to perform the pairing;
  • In the contextual menu that pops up select "Other settings"
  • In the new settings window that comes to your screen, select Developer Mode;
  • Click on the slider to activate the developer mode;
For general troubleshooting I'd recommend just searching the Quest or Oculus subreddit. Plenty of issues I've run into that I've found solutions to there. Or you can ask here :)

Hope that helped!

edit: Oh I forgot to mention Revive which is needed to play Oculus store games over SteamVR: https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/releases

You install that on top of everything else and then when you long press the left Touch controller menu button down after launching SteamVR in Virtual Desktop you'll see the SteamVR menu shell pop up in the headset, and you should see a "Revive" button along the bottom alongside the Steam one. Select this to view and launch the Oculus games. It's kind of a pain in the ass middleman solution but unfortunately necessary thanks to Oculus.
Thanks for the details.

I can't seem to get SteamVR working with the simple Link setup. I have Oculus working, and am even typing this very message on Virtual Desktop. I went to Steam on virtual desktop and tried to launch arizona sunshine (just purchased on sale), and I just get an error message. It says that a VR device isn't connected, and to relauch with a supported device. I launched the dang thing from my Quest. Help!

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the details.

I can't seem to get SteamVR working with the simple Link setup. I have Oculus working, and am even typing this very message on Virtual Desktop. I went to Steam on virtual desktop and tried to launch arizona sunshine (just purchased on sale), and I just get an error message. It says that a VR device isn't connected, and to relauch with a supported device. I launched the dang thing from my Quest. Help!

So you're trying to launch SteamVR through the Link is that correct? I actually haven't tried SteamVR with Link just Oculus apps so maybe someone else can help with that, though I have run into that error message using virtual desktop over Quest and VD, and have usually been able to fix it by doing things like resetting the Quest, switching to the beta (or main) branch of SteamVR, restarting Steam, virtual desktop, SteamVR etc. Try a combo of those that might help.

Also if you're using Link and want to use SteamVR I'm pretty sure you just launch the apps directly from Steam not through Virtual Desktop. You might be able to do it both ways though I'd try just going directly through Steam first.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the details.

Couple things stick out to me:

1.) Have you gone into your Oculus client settings and enabled "Support unknown apps"?

2.) Virtual Desktop on the Quest is just letting you stream your PC desktop. You shouldn't need to use VD to launch stuff unless you're just trying to stream desktop games from Steam. It's seems like an overly complicated way of doing things.

3.) What do you mean you launched the thing from your Quest? You didn't launch VD from the Quest, did you? Because that's an entirely separate program and the only way you can run SteamVR games through VD is if you sideload SteamVR APK off of Sidequest (and it wouldn't support Link).

Lot of confusion. I suspect #1 is your biggest problem.

EDIT: Now I'm really confused. I went back and saw you originally quoted directions for Virtual Desktop. Are you talking about getting Link to work or wirelessly over VD? Because these are two entirely different directions.

Last edited:

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
So you're trying to launch SteamVR through the Link is that correct? I actually haven't tried SteamVR with Link just Oculus apps so maybe someone else can help with that, though I have run into that error message using virtual desktop over Quest and VD, and have usually been able to fix it by doing things like resetting the Quest, switching to the beta (or main) branch of SteamVR, restarting Steam, virtual desktop, SteamVR etc. Try a combo of those that might help.

Also if you're using Link and want to use SteamVR I'm pretty sure you just launch the apps directly from Steam not through Virtual Desktop. You might be able to do it both ways though I'd try just going directly through Steam first.
Couple things stick out to me:

1.) Have you gone into your Oculus client settings and enabled "Support unknown apps"?

2.) Virtual Desktop on the Quest is just letting you stream your PC desktop. You shouldn't need to use VD to launch stuff unless you're just trying to stream desktop games from Steam. It's seems like an overly complicated way of doing things.

3.) What do you mean you launched the thing from your Quest? You didn't launch VD from the Quest, did you? Because that's an entirely separate program and the only way you can run SteamVR games through VD is if you sideload SteamVR APK off of Sidequest (and it wouldn't support Link).

Lot of confusion. I suspect #1 is your biggest problem.

EDIT: Now I'm really confused. I went back and saw you originally quoted directions for Virtual Desktop. Are you talking about getting Link to work or wirelessly over VD? Because these are two entirely different directions.

Thank you both! I figured it out and got it working. It was a combination of Oculus client settings (thanks 1-D_FE), and running the SteamVR setup application with the Oculus app still open. I was previously trying to the launch the game using Virtual Desktop (via Link), yet didn't have SteamVR setup. I'm not new to VR, but my prior experience was with PSVR and the Quest; both of which are totally plug and play. Getting Steam games to run on a Quest takes a little more work, but it is all making sense now and runs great.

All good now, and had some fun playing the first few levels of Arizona Sunshine (was on sale for $20 on Steam). Open to other game suggestions now that the world of PCVR is open to me. I've played most of the big hitters that are available on PSVR and/or Quest, so I'd be looking for recommendations on PCVR games not available elsewhere.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you both! I figured it out and got it working. It was a combination of Oculus client settings (thanks 1-D_FE), and running the SteamVR setup application with the Oculus app still open. I was previously trying to the launch the game using Virtual Desktop (via Link), yet didn't have SteamVR setup. I'm not new to VR, but my prior experience was with PSVR and the Quest; both of which are totally plug and play. Getting Steam games to run on a Quest takes a little more work, but it is all making sense now and runs great.

All good now, and had some fun playing the first few levels of Arizona Sunshine (was on sale for $20 on Steam). Open to other game suggestions now that the world of PCVR is open to me. I've played most of the big hitters that are available on PSVR and/or Quest, so I'd be looking for recommendations on PCVR games not available elsewhere.

Don't buy anything until Tuesday is my suggestion. Wait for the Black Friday sales to start. They'll be lots of great deals.

I just bought Grand Theft Auto 5 from Green Man Gaming (13.50) and got 5 free VR games: I choose Arizona Sunshine (Steam), Sprint Vector (Steam), Killing Floor Incursion (Steam), Rock Band VR (Oculus), and Star Trek Bridge Crew (Uplay).

Any game purchased from GMG that qualifies as a +5 game could have gotten these. Arizona Sunshine is selling for 13.60 and would have qualified you for the free games. Or a cheap game like Rainbow Six: Siege would have done it for 7.20. More +5 games are going to be added in a couple days, although you do run the risk of the Intel freebies running out of stock by waiting.

If you haven't put in more than 2 hours, I'd suggest refunding Arizona Sunshine.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Don't buy anything until Tuesday is my suggestion. Wait for the Black Friday sales to start. They'll be lots of great deals.

I just bought Grand Theft Auto 5 from Green Man Gaming (13.50) and got 5 free VR games: I choose Arizona Sunshine (Steam), Sprint Vector (Steam), Killing Floor Incursion (Steam), Rock Band VR (Oculus), and Star Trek Bridge Crew (Uplay).

Any game purchased from GMG that qualifies as a +5 game could have gotten these. Arizona Sunshine is selling for 13.60 and would have qualified you for the free games. Or a cheap game like Rainbow Six: Siege would have done it for 7.20. More +5 games are going to be added in a couple days, although you do run the risk of the Intel freebies running out of stock by waiting.

If you haven't put in more than 2 hours, I'd suggest refunding Arizona Sunshine.
Thanks for looking out, appreciate it!