• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you both! I figured it out and got it working. It was a combination of Oculus client settings (thanks 1-D_FE), and running the SteamVR setup application with the Oculus app still open. I was previously trying to the launch the game using Virtual Desktop (via Link), yet didn't have SteamVR setup. I'm not new to VR, but my prior experience was with PSVR and the Quest; both of which are totally plug and play. Getting Steam games to run on a Quest takes a little more work, but it is all making sense now and runs great.

All good now, and had some fun playing the first few levels of Arizona Sunshine (was on sale for $20 on Steam). Open to other game suggestions now that the world of PCVR is open to me. I've played most of the big hitters that are available on PSVR and/or Quest, so I'd be looking for recommendations on PCVR games not available elsewhere.
have you played more than 2 hours of arizone sunshine? if not refund that ASAP
you can get it and other games for $7 off greenman right now.

anything with the 5+ on https://www.greenmangaming.com/black-friday/ will net you a choice of 5 games from 10
5 games on the list are
Sprint Vector
Arizona sunshine
star trek bridge crew
killing floor VR
and rock band VR

rainbow 6 is only 7.20 to get all of those

and more will be added on the 26th.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Don't buy anything until Tuesday is my suggestion. Wait for the Black Friday sales to start. They'll be lots of great deals.

I just bought Grand Theft Auto 5 from Green Man Gaming (13.50) and got 5 free VR games: I choose Arizona Sunshine (Steam), Sprint Vector (Steam), Killing Floor Incursion (Steam), Rock Band VR (Oculus), and Star Trek Bridge Crew (Uplay).

Any game purchased from GMG that qualifies as a +5 game could have gotten these. Arizona Sunshine is selling for 13.60 and would have qualified you for the free games. Or a cheap game like Rainbow Six: Siege would have done it for 7.20. More +5 games are going to be added in a couple days, although you do run the risk of the Intel freebies running out of stock by waiting.

If you haven't put in more than 2 hours, I'd suggest refunding Arizona Sunshine.
What is the complete list of free games? I'm planning on getting my son a Quest but I don't have a VR ready PC so I don't know if it is worth it to do this.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
What is the complete list of free games? I'm planning on getting my son a Quest but I don't have a VR ready PC so I don't know if it is worth it to do this.
IPIP (some intel crap)
Killing Floor: Incursion Last Tide
Neverwinter cosmetics
Rockband VR
Sid Meier's Civilization V
Sprint Vector
Star Trek: Bridge Crew
There Came An Echo
Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide

aka it's really only worthwhile if you want the VR games.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
IPIP (some intel crap)
Killing Floor: Incursion Last Tide
Neverwinter cosmetics
Rockband VR
Sid Meier's Civilization V
Sprint Vector
Star Trek: Bridge Crew
There Came An Echo
Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide

aka it's really only worthwhile if you want the VR games.

And the Sid Meier Civ V game has already been replaced with some shovelware gas guzzler game. So there's no guarantee the VR games will stay in stock.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I guess we can assume that most of the DAS supply is officially gone. Prices are getting pretty stupid. The MS Outlet store had spent the past 6 months selling it for 74.99 on Ebay and now prices are 150+. HTC should have revved their production line back up. It's their one product people actually want right now.
Wow, I'm really happy I decided to get mine just a few weeks ago as I was really debating whether I should or not and the frankenquest mod has made a huge difference in comfort. Honestly it's such a nice mod that I would recommend people to pick up the DAS while they still can even if it's not priced as good as it used to be, 150 is too much obviously but if you see it for around 100 and you want the mod then jump on it.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
About how long did it take you to get the Intel email to redeem the five games? Says it can take about 24 hrs, hope it isn't that long :/

I registered sometime this morning and it came around 1:00 PM. Some maybe 3 or 4 hours. I heard if you give them your cell phone, it happens instantly, but I didn't want any part of that.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I registered sometime this morning and it came around 1:00 PM. Some maybe 3 or 4 hours. I heard if you give them your cell phone, it happens instantly, but I didn't want any part of that.
ah yeah I just gave them whatever information they wanted from me because I didn't care lol. I already get telemarketers so I only let calls that are on my contacts through anyways.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

Alright thanks, yeah same for the phone number.

You may already know but there's apparently a decent VR mod out for GTAV that came out about a month ago, it uses the less demanding method of 3d kinda like VorpX's, I'm curious to try it out:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Alright thanks, yeah same for the phone number.

You may already know but there's apparently a decent VR mod out for GTAV that came out about a month ago, it uses the less demanding method of 3d kinda like VorpX's, I'm curious to try it out:

Yeah. I did notice that. I think I'm one of the few people on the planet who hasn't played GTA V yet. I had been holding out for 9.99 on Steam and was just holding out on principle, but I figured I'd cave since this was such a good deal (and it needed Rockstar's client launcher anyways).

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I did notice that. I think I'm one of the few people on the planet who hasn't played GTA V yet. I had been holding out for 9.99 on Steam and was just holding out on principle, but I figured I'd cave since this was such a good deal (and it needed Rockstar's client launcher anyways).

Prepare to lose many an hour to it :P

Got my email, redeemed the VR games. I hope Bridge Crew still has an active community for mp.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Tried out the GTA V mod and the 3d effect looks a lot better than I was expecting, though I get some glitchy eye swapping image distortion at times, usually when driving fast. Using the low xml settings file included with the mod, and even though its low res and loses a lot of detail its still insanely immersive. I tested the high settings one and for those that can run it well you're in for a treat, big difference between the two but it stutters and that image distortion effect occured way more often.

Not like it's a surprise GTAV has insane levels of detail in the world but in VR wow it really stands out in a way I haven't noticed before. All the unique pedestrian models, the realistic euphoria animations, just the simple act of a random pedestrian smoking a cigarette looks very natural and all the moreso in VR. The way gangs are clumped together and their idle animations and how various npcs react to you is so seamless...Rockstar's world building is such a perfect fit for it.

All that said I still got more lightheaded from my limited time with it than I have in a long while from VR, so yeah there's zero comfort options here folks it's 100% full motion so be prepared. Works a charm with the Link.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Tried out the GTA V mod and the 3d effect looks a lot better than I was expecting, though I get some glitchy eye swapping image distortion at times, usually when driving fast. Using the low xml settings file included with the mod, and even though its low res and loses a lot of detail its still insanely immersive. I tested the high settings one and for those that can run it well you're in for a treat, big difference between the two but it stutters and that image distortion effect occured way more often.

Not like it's a surprise GTAV has insane levels of detail in the world but in VR wow it really stands out in a way I haven't noticed before. All the unique pedestrian models, the realistic euphoria animations, just the simple act of a random pedestrian smoking a cigarette looks very natural and all the moreso in VR. The way gangs are clumped together and their idle animations and how various npcs react to you is so seamless...Rockstar's world building is such a perfect fit for it.

All that said I still got more lightheaded from my limited time with it than I have in a long while from VR, so yeah there's zero comfort options here folks it's 100% full motion so be prepared. Works a charm with the Link.

Thanks for the impressions.

I was hoping there'd be a third person option for on foot. That's what I was worried about. I have an iron stomach in vehicles, but I'm not good at 1st person on foot.

I think I'll just use Super Depth 3D (reshade) to play it in 3D on Virtual Desktop. I've played previous GTAs in 3D and even that adds a ton for me.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Just picked up a 64GB Quest! Excited to get home later and set this up.

I already ordered the carry case, bought Virtual Desktop, started a free trial of Viveport Infinity and installed the Oculus PC software last night in preparation. You could say I'm pretty excited to try VR, haha.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Just picked up a 64GB Quest! Excited to get home later and set this up.

I already ordered the carry case, bought Virtual Desktop, started a free trial of Viveport Infinity and installed the Oculus PC software last night in preparation. You could say I'm pretty excited to try VR, haha.

Congrats! What are you going to try first? (After the tutorials - speaking of which...the flexible assault rifle in shooting gallery in the tutorial is ace, I still boot it up to play sometimes).

I remember playing the first contact tutorial when I got the original rift a few years ago (my first try in VR), I don't think anything has ever quite blown me away as much as that initial experience.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats! What are you going to try first? (After the tutorials - speaking of which...the flexible assault rifle in shooting gallery in the tutorial is ace, I still boot it up to play sometimes).

I remember playing the first contact tutorial when I got the original rift a few years ago (my first try in VR), I don't think anything has ever quite blown me away as much as that initial experience.
Thanks! I'm going to go through the tutorials first and then probably try the Superhot and Beat Saber demos; after that I'll try and get The Lab working via Link or Virtual Desktop, since I've heard that's supposed to be really good, and it's free. Then there's the VR experiences, YouTube VR, and the Viveport games if I don't run into any setup issues. So much choice haha

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Is the QuestPro Enthusiast kit by studioform creative the best comfort mod set for the price? 35 seems nice. And ouch. What cable are people recommending for link? The 10ft one is sold out everywhere.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

Oh nice. I use an active cable similar to that for other projects. The 3 ft version of the Anker and that extender should make.it functional, then? I will grab that and wait on the reviews of the new Oculus cable or future cables by other companies. I am more interested in the software updates to link to make compression and latency even better.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Is the QuestPro Enthusiast kit by studioform creative the best comfort mod set for the price? 35 seems nice. And ouch. What cable are people recommending for link? The 10ft one is sold out everywhere.

The studioform kit is exactly what I have gone for...I don't have it yet though, it should arrive this week.

It was either that or going for the Deluxe audio strap mod but that would have been quite literally four times the price.

I managed to snag the Anker 10ft cable so cant comment on alternatives.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
The studioform kit is exactly what I have gone for...I don't have it yet though, it should arrive this week.

It was either that or going for the Deluxe audio strap mod but that would have been quite literally four times the price.

I managed to snag the Anker 10ft cable so cant comment on alternatives.

I will let you know how the 3 ft cable plus active cable works when that arrives Wednesday. The quest will be here tomorrow by 8am. Beat saber wireless should keep me occupied until Wednesday. Happy birthday to me. I should probably sell my canon 70d camera that is collecting dust so I don't feel guilty about this impulse buy.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the impressions.

I was hoping there'd be a third person option for on foot. That's what I was worried about. I have an iron stomach in vehicles, but I'm not good at 1st person on foot.

I think I'll just use Super Depth 3D (reshade) to play it in 3D on Virtual Desktop. I've played previous GTAs in 3D and even that adds a ton for me.

Oh you can still use third person, and the camera height for it seems just right so it doesn't cause that "I'm at the wrong height" feeling of disorientation. Using third person for driving is pretty cool too but obviously not as immersive.

I think it's still worth giving a try for general sandbox gameplay, though cutscenes look all sorts of wrong with characters looking like cardboard cutouts with the 3d effect.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Oh you can still use third person, and the camera height for it seems just right so it doesn't cause that "I'm at the wrong height" feeling of disorientation. Using third person for driving is pretty cool too but obviously not as immersive.

I think it's still worth giving a try for general sandbox gameplay, though cutscenes look all sorts of wrong with characters looking like cardboard cutouts with the 3d effect.

Cool. I'll have to give this a shot then. Need to pick up a new hard drive during BF, first. I'm running my things at near capacity of late.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Okay... set the Quest up today and played a bit - Beat Saber is amazing. Definite "wow" experience. I like Superhot too, although the space in my room is too small to really play it effectively.

I set up Virtual Desktop but I'm having an issue with it (probably something obvious I'm missing) - the first game I tried was in full screen on the Quest and looked great. Then I somehow managed to get Virtual Desktop into a mode where my monitor was just a window instead of full screen, with various icons above for size etc. I don't see a "make fullscreen" one though and now every game runs in this window - is there a way to get Virtual Desktop back into full screen again?

Edit: Fixed it! I managed to open the Virtual Desktop settings (still not 100% sure how) and then found "Switch to VR" which made things full screen again.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! It was press as you said.
then the press and hold is how you pull up the Steam VR menu while using it then :P

I haven't done nearly enough steam vr with virtual desktop. As most of my time with VR is still just booting up beat saber and playing it for an hour to work up a sweat and get some exercise (which is the main reason I got a quest so not a waste :P)

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for all the questions, I'm currently buying some accessories for the Quest and at the moment I've bought some controller grips (Kiwi Design), the travel case and some velcro straps to try and DIY attach a powerbank to the back of the head strap.

Which brings me to - if I'm buying a USB-C to C cable for charging the headset from a power bank, do I want a C to C 2.0 cable or do I need C to C 3.1? I'm assuming if I'm using a USB-PD power bank like the Anker 10,000 PD Redux I'll need the 3.1 version?

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I haven't attached to my PC yet but I am a believer. I did the tutorial and played the beat saber did. I'd buy the quest just for beat saber but having the ability to connect to my PC is wonderful. And dancing with the cute robot in the tutorial was the most fun I've recently had in any game. I need to get better at adjusting the headset because it does press on my cheeks quite a bit and the text was slightly blurry. I might need to use my glasses or grab some Zenni optical lenses and a 3d print to use.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Sorry for all the questions, I'm currently buying some accessories for the Quest and at the moment I've bought some controller grips (Kiwi Design), the travel case and some velcro straps to try and DIY attach a powerbank to the back of the head strap.

Which brings me to - if I'm buying a USB-C to C cable for charging the headset from a power bank, do I want a C to C 2.0 cable or do I need C to C 3.1? I'm assuming if I'm using a USB-PD power bank like the Anker 10,000 PD Redux I'll need the 3.1 version?
The cable just needs to support power delivery.

That 2.0 cable supports it up to 60 watts according to Anker.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
The cable just needs to support power delivery.

That 2.0 cable supports it up to 60 watts according to Anker.
Great, thank you!
I haven't attached to my PC yet but I am a believer. I did the tutorial and played the beat saber did. I'd buy the quest just for beat saber but having the ability to connect to my PC is wonderful. And dancing with the cute robot in the tutorial was the most fun I've recently had in any game. I need to get better at adjusting the headset because it does press on my cheeks quite a bit and the text was slightly blurry. I might need to use my glasses or grab some Zenni optical lenses and a 3d print to use.
Try readjusting the headset first as you said - I had the same issue where everything was blurry and I couldn't get text to be legible at first even moving around the headset; to the point I actually put contacts in to see if it was my eyesight that was the issue, but it wasn't in my case as things were still blurry. I took the headset off and readjusted it, and played with the side and top head straps, and eventually I got a clear, mostly non-blurry image. There's still some slight blur at the edges of my vision but I'm not sure whether that's normal with VR or it may be eyesight related.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Great, thank you!

Try readjusting the headset first as you said - I had the same issue where everything was blurry and I couldn't get text to be legible at first even moving around the headset; to the point I actually put contacts in to see if it was my eyesight that was the issue, but it wasn't in my case as things were still blurry. I took the headset off and readjusted it, and played with the side and top head straps, and eventually I got a clear, mostly non-blurry image. There's still some slight blur at the edges of my vision but I'm not sure whether that's normal with VR or it may be eyesight related.

Thanks! I will definitely mess around with it more. My active extension cable came today but not the regular cable. However, I had a 3 ft USB c to USB a braided inateck cable sitting around so I tried that. After installing Oculus on my PC and rebooting my PC, I had link up and running. I managed to figure out how to get Tetris effect working with it. That was a far trippier experience than playing it in 2D. I am amazed with what they've pulled off even in beta. Can't wait to see it progress.

May 30, 2018
Thanks! I will definitely mess around with it more. My active extension cable came today but not the regular cable. However, I had a 3 ft USB c to USB a braided inateck cable sitting around so I tried that. After installing Oculus on my PC and rebooting my PC, I had link up and running. I managed to figure out how to get Tetris effect working with it. That was a far trippier experience than playing it in 2D. I am amazed with what they've pulled off even in beta. Can't wait to see it progress.

that's the first game i played via Link, too. even having had it on PS4 and having a PSVR for a year now, i never played it in VR. there's so much setup for PSVR

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
How come everyone is going crazy of the new Link cable!?, I though using ALVR or Virtual Desktop was more or less perfect already!??

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
How come everyone is going crazy of the new Link cable!?, I though using ALVR or Virtual Desktop was more or less perfect already!??

Can only speak for my own experience but Link makes the process much simpler to set up with less latency and it is crucially considerably more stable than any of the wireless solutions at present.

It has gone from something I would realistically not be able to play with for more than a few mins to perfectly playable.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Can only speak for my own experience but Link makes the process much simpler to set up with less latency and it is crucially considerably more stable than any of the wireless solutions at present.

It has gone from something I would realistically not be able to play with for more than a few mins to perfectly playable.
This^

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017

Oh all the report id heard about the streaming sounded like it was some witch craft but your saying the latency was very noticeable?

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Oh all the report id heard about the streaming sounded like it was some witch craft but your saying the latency was very noticeable?

I agree with wwm0nkey that the latency is noticeable, especially when pushing it with a fast movement. I always had a problem with it being inconsistent, other traffic on my router could really cause issues or dropouts.

As always other people's mileage may vary and I am sure some users think it's fine.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
According to some reviews even on Oculus Link the latency is perceptible (although very low).

It's not perfect, requires jumping through hoops, Virtual Desktop is $20, you need a good 5GHz router and even then the lag is noticeable.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I wonder h
According to some reviews even on Oculus Link the latency is perceptible (although very low).

It's not perfect, requires jumping through hoops, Virtual Desktop is $20, you need a good 5GHz router and even then the lag is noticeable.

I almost bought it for video watching but realized I can air drop videos into sky box which is perfect. Link is plug and play, which is nice. I havent encountered issues yet.

I wonder how latency is compared to playing an Ethernet connected moonlight session. I finally my gaming using moonlight to my big tv through my steam link. Maybe I am too used to latency.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I love Virtual Desktop and the recent 1.8 update is wizardry compared to prior versions with IQ and latency improvements but even so Link feels quite a bit smoother, and one place you can readily see the visual differences is the SteamVR grid backdrop (with the mountains in the distance) that pops up in the headset when you initially launch SteamVR. There's noticeable artifacting along the horizon in VD in this scene vs with Link the image is a lot cleaner.

I'm sure I'll still use VD when I don't wanna deal with a wire or for immersive room scale experiences where I don't want a cord bugging me (ah the days of wrapping the Vive cord around myself from walking in circles :P), but for seated play the Link will probably get most of my attention.

Not sure if they'll pull it off but the VD dev is currently trying to hack some Oculus .dlls to try to remove the need for Revive through VD altogether. This would certainly make it more appealing if that happens.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Well this is embarrassing.

I bought the Kiwi Design wrist straps, but I can't remove the original lanyards from the touch controllers. The rubber strap will move out of the cutout slightly, but I feel like if I apply any more force to it I might snap or damage it, which is the last thing I want. The circular connector thing on the end of the wrist strap doesn't seem to be budging at all, it's as if it's slightly too big so now it's stuck in the controller.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how latency is compared to playing an Ethernet connected moonlight session. I finally my gaming using moonlight to my big tv through my steam link. Maybe I am too used to latency.

Isn't the best case scenario for streaming around 20ms?

In another thread, someone was complaining about the latency in Skyrim vs his Rift S. Apparently there's an Oculus toolbox that spits out your motion to photon latency numbers. Quest with Link was around 20 - 25 ms higher than his Rift S playing Skyrim.

If that's right, it seems about on par with normal streaming latency (and as low as we can reasonably expect the latency to go unless they can figure out how to feed the video chip directly and bypass the Quest having to decompress everything.)

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Link experiments. I got the recommended Anker cable (10ft), plugged it into the front panel of my computer (which itself is plugged into a USB 3.0 header on my motherboard). Everything looks good. Then I press my luck and throw in a CableCreation 15ft USB 3.0 extension cable, figuring I had fallback options if that didn't work. Didn't need them; the 15ft extension plus the 10ft Anker cable work just fine. The dream is now real: I can play PCVR games in the more open space of my living room!

The only issue I haven't resolved yet is sound. The music from Beat Saber won't play through my Quest natively. Weirdly, DESKTOP sounds will play through it fine, and if I set up the Oculus PC app to play VR sound through my desktop speakers as well as my headset, it works. I think it's just a software audio routing issue and have read it might be related to Nvidia audio drivers screwing things up. But for now, this is acceptable--it's not like I can hear my computer speakers from the next room anyways, not when the Quest audio is going.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I grabbed thumper on steam to try out using Oculus link. Having only played this on the switch, it was a totally otherworldly experience. I hit everything perfectly in the 20 minutes I played, so I didn't have latency impeding me from enjoying the game. Being able to go from playing beat saber directly on the quest or plugging into my PC makes me a believer.

Also, it's neat that steam VR shows a gui with your ipd if you slide the hardware ipd scaler.