• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
so i've never played GTA V or any of the previous games (i know...). would this be a fun way to jump in or is it only recommended for people familiar with the games?

I'd probably play it in 2d first if this is your first GTA rodeo just to get bearings with the basics. Also depending on your hardware there's some flickering with the GTA V mod that can be distracting, this is due to the alternate eye swapping technique it uses to render the 3d effect, it isn't traditional stereo 3d which is why it runs so much better. I've also seen some posts on reddit that think this could be worse on the Quest so it seems it runs better on Rift S for now, hopefully the mod gets some updates to address this cause it's so immersive otherwise.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Quest may have justified its price for me just based on it being a fitness platform, without even considering all of the other bonuses it brings. I hate going to the gym for multiple reasons (part laziness, part being self-conscious and part when I do go just finding it incredibly boring) so I don't go. I bought Beat Saber and Box VR on the Quest, and they're both really fun to play. Box VR even reports calories burned after each workout, which is useful as an indicator that it works as an exercise tool. I've just bought 'The Thrill of the Fight' this morning too, since reviews of that say it can provide a workout. I may buy Pistol Whip or Synth Riders soon too, to add variety.

As for other games, Vader Immortal is really immersive so I'm looking forward to playing more of that. I tried out Oculus Link and was really impressed. I couldn't notice any obvious lag, and Box VR via Viveport was perfectly playable (this is what convinced me to bu it on the Quest). Virtual Desktop wireless streaming also worked really well for some games (Box VR again was very playable) but Racket Fury was unplayable. Very laggy and stuttery.

Has anyone successfully set up the room boundary via SteamVR? Do I need to do that or will it just use the Oculus' boundary? I did get prompted to set up a boundary in SteamVR but it didn't seem to work properly when I tried. For some reason it doesn't appear to copy Oculus' "draw a boundary with the controller" method and instead tells you to take the headset off and carry it round, which is strange. Added to that, when it was telling me to use the trigger to set the boundary, the trigger didn't work. It works everywhere else, e.g. selecting options in the SteamVR menus, but didn't work for room calibration.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
So is there any chance of outlets having deals on the Quest for BF, or is the Vader Immortal the best we're going to get?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
So is there any chance of outlets having deals on the Quest for BF, or is the Vader Immortal the best we're going to get?

Doesn't look good. Even the Rift/Go sales side really sucks at the moment. I guess since Quest users have access to those titles now, they figured they'd better lock those up too.

Oh, you meant hardware? No reason to think so at this point.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
Going to install and try out Lambada1VR tonight. Have read some good things.
OrdinaryGroundedBadger-size_restricted.gif

BTW. Quake2Quest is also available:

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I just got mine and WTF is this shit?? VR is blowing my mind. I'm hoping to try link soon and try out no man's sky.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone experienced success with viveport infinity using the link? Any game I've tried just says waiting when I try to boot it up.
It worked for me - from what I remember, I connected via Link, launched SteamVR and then there's a "Vive" or "Viveport" button, which loads up the Viveport game list. I chose a game from that and after a bit of loading, it seemed to work fine.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Well Lambda1VR made me feel incredibly sick, can't recommend it personally.

Fast free movement is just way too much for me. Not sure if I would ever have the stomach for it, lasted about 10 minutes and had to stop and have a sit down.

Makes me sad as it makes me wonder if I could manage something like Pavlov (anyone here got a basis of comparison?).

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Did you try any of the newly added comfort options?

It hasn't been updated any more, has it? The initial comfort mods really don't work for me. I thought they might have in my first impressions, but after about 10 minutes, I can tell I'm starting to circle the drain.

If he could replace the square stencil with a round stencil, I'm sure it'd be much better for me. With the square vignette, my brain doesn't see it as tunnel vision and it has little benefit to me.

I wish I could play all those early 3D games that are on Quest:(

Last edited:

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
Isn't I Expect You to Die the ultimate party game? The person in VR has to diffuse the bomb, while people in the room read from a bomb diffusal manual and have to give the VR player instructions.

EDIT: Or maybe not? I could have sworn I once watched a GiantBomb video where they'd printed out a manual and were shouting the instructions to the player.
You're thinking of 'Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes' but you're right, it is probably the best party vr game.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It worked for me - from what I remember, I connected via Link, launched SteamVR and then there's a "Vive" or "Viveport" button, which loads up the Viveport game list. I chose a game from that and after a bit of loading, it seemed to work fine.

I made the games launch by loading them through the windows app instead of launching from the VR launcher. However, sairento was buggy and a 2018 version and stolen pets was a stuttering mess despite being really immersive looking. Rez, thumper, and trover runs perfectly through steam. I will play with viveport later but I doubt I'd subscribe to it. I need to grab beat saber and possibly sairento untethered on the actual quest system. I am sure the wireless immersion will be amazing in those.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
It hasn't been updated any more, has it? The initial comfort mods really don't work for me. I thought they might have in my first impressions, but after about 10 minutes, I can tell I'm starting to circle the drain.

If he could replace the square stencil with a round stencil, I'm sure it'd be much better for me. With the square vignette, my brain doesn't see it as tunnel vision and it has little benefit to me.

I wish I could play all those early 3D games that are on Quest:(
I meant this update from 2 days ago - do you have the latest version?

Anti-nausea Vignette - This is a beauty.. set this in the Video Options to your liking, now a proper vignette effect that will glide in and out which will hopefully mitigate the effect of acceleration/decelleration

If you have any feedback regarding comfort options, reach out to the dev, maybe he'll incorporate your suggestions into the mod.

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I meant this update from 2 days ago - do you have the latest version?

If you have any feedback regarding comfort options, reach out to the dev, maybe he'll incorporate your suggestions into the mod.

I didn't see that. I'll have to give it another go.

He is a cool guy. I actually talked with him quite a bit to get the initial method in, but I didn't want to sound like an ingrate telling him it worked terribly for me. Gonna have to update.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'll be pleasantly shocked if there's a sale other than that giant holiday bundle. It's infuriating but the one downside to Quest is how much they are actively restricting sales even when the developer wants one.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
The sale on Oculus Store is laughable. They can redeem themselves with a good sale on Black Friday but I would not hold my breath.

I didn't see that. I'll have to give it another go.

He is a cool guy. I actually talked with him quite a bit to get the initial method in, but I didn't want to sound like an ingrate telling him it worked terribly for me. Gonna have to update.
I think he will appreciate it since he wants to be inclusive, so that as many poeple can experience it as possible. Surely if you had problems with this, other sensitive people will have too.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Did you try any of the newly added comfort options?

It helps but is not enough to stop pretty server motion sickness (pretty much the worst I have had since getting the headset). I think I am probably just a bit to sensitive to free motion. Lone Echo does not seem to have the same effect on me though.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
That black Friday sale is terrible. Wow.

My new favorite feature of the quest is using skybox. Locking the screen so I can watch movies in bed on what looks like a 100 inch TV will not get old. The quality is much nicer than when I tried it on daydream using my pixel 3 xl.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get these collections. These games are straight up cheaper on Steam being unbundled. Box VR is 14.99 for example, which is 50 percent off. Are Oculus sales typically this awful?

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I don't get these collections. These games are straight up cheaper on Steam being unbundled. Box VR is 14.99 for example, which is 50 percent off. Are Oculus sales typically this awful?

It almost feels like a begrudging sale. Like 'everyone else is doing a sale so I guess we should too'. The percentages off are hilarious but even worse are the bundles, all of which feature a notable game( Moss, Superhot, Robo recall etc) with other games that I'm sure aren't gracing too many wish lists thereby negating any 'savings'. I get the business reasons behind why they arent obliged to heavy discount like Steam, but there's too many other deals to be had right now maximizing my consumer dollar to be swayed by 'deals' like what Oculus are offering. I just got a Quest on Monday and was fully prepared to open my wallet further to Oculus, but I'm not grabbing a 6 game 'gold bundle' with 5 games I don't want just so I can get 9% off Moss or whatever the discount works out to be. Like who do they think is falling for this?

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Apparently my Studioform accessories (headstrap & counterweight pouch) have been delivered which is pretty impressive considering I ordered Monday, they have come from New Zealand and I am in the UK...they were pricey for what they are but the speed of delivery softens the blow somewhat. In comparison my VR Covers took months.

Will post here when I can give them a go tonight.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

It almost feels like a begrudging sale. Like 'everyone else is doing a sale so I guess we should too'. The percentages off are hilarious but even worse are the bundles, all of which feature a notable game( Moss, Superhot, Robo recall etc) with other games that I'm sure aren't gracing too many wish lists thereby negating any 'savings'. I get the business reasons behind why they arent obliged to heavy discount like Steam, but there's too many other deals to be had right now maximizing my consumer dollar to be swayed by 'deals' like what Oculus are offering. I just got a Quest on Monday and was fully prepared to open my wallet further to Oculus, but I'm not grabbing a 6 game 'gold bundle' with 5 games I don't want just so I can get 9% off Moss or whatever the discount works out to be. Like who do they think is falling for this?

Not historically. Oculus sales have actually always been way better than Steam sales (at least these last 3 years). Not only was Oculus VERY aggressive with their first party sales (and had great bundles on top of it), but third party games were often cheaper than Steam (which was very annoying if you preferred SteamVR).

Once Quest launched, they decided they were going to try and train Quest owners to pay full price. This summer, Rift and Go owners still got really good sales. Even Halloween saw good deals for those two. Chronos (Rift 1st party) was 88% off for 4.99 on a Daily. This is the type of stuff that was routine. Very aggressive.

It seems that since Go and Rift titles are now playable on Quest, they decided to extend their sales ban to everything. Beyond absurd. Yesterday, Raw Data got a rare Daily slot for 50% on the Rift. Meanwhile, the game is 75% on Steam the entire sale. How stupid does Facebook think people are? Unless a game is cross-platform, SteamVR is the better ownership platform anyways. They're simply driving people away with this new ban on Rift sales.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Not historically. Oculus sales have actually always been way better than Steam sales (at least these last 3 years). Not only was Oculus VERY aggressive with their first party sales (and had great bundles on top of it), but third party games were often cheaper than Steam (which was very annoying if you preferred SteamVR).

Once Quest launched, they decided they were going to try and train Quest owners to pay full price. This summer, Rift and Go owners still got really good sales. Even Halloween saw good deals for those two. Chronos (Rift 1st party) was 88% off for 4.99 on a Daily. This is the type of stuff that was routine. Very aggressive.

It seems that since Go and Rift titles are now playable on Quest, they decided to extend their sales ban to everything. Beyond absurd. Yesterday, Raw Data got a rare Daily slot for 50% on the Rift. Meanwhile, the game is 75% on Steam the entire sale. How stupid does Facebook think people are? Unless a game is cross-platform, SteamVR is the better ownership platform anyways. They're simply driving people away with this new ban on Rift sales.

Thanks, interesting info. I previously owned a CV1 briefly but only used it for big screen and skybox, I also purchased a few steam VR titles so this is my first real experience going through the Oculus store with the intent to purchase since grabbing the Quest. Was hoping to nab at least superhot and Moss for a decent discount(I'd bite on 20-25%) but really not interested in these bundled deals.

May 30, 2018
these are part of the Steam "VR Essentials" bundle. are they *essential*? and are they worth buying together?

i know some of them have Quest versions but it sounds like sales there are pretty crap currently and i have a super long cable for Link now which works great.

also would love any input for other bundles (have the Croteam bundle in my cart) or must-gets.

BdEbBqN.png

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017

The Oculus store sales are really sad and almost insulting. I Expect you to Die is 10% off on the Oculus Store and 50% off on Steam. I really don't get the Oculus strategy. I don't own a Rift but do have a PSVR along with my Quest. There are many games I would have bought on Quest since it blows the PSVR out of the water, but I end up giving Sony my money and playing the game on PSVR because of sales.

Oculus isn't training me to buy games at full price. Instead they are making me spend money on their competitors. If it keeps up maybe I will get a Link cable and start buying games on Steam instead.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
these are part of the Steam "VR Essentials" bundle. are they *essential*? and are they worth buying together?

i know some of them have Quest versions but it sounds like sales there are pretty crap currently and i have a super long cable for Link now which works great.

also would love any input for other bundles (have the Croteam bundle in my cart) or must-gets.

BdEbBqN.png
I assume you already own Superhot and Arizona?
Games I played:
Thumper is a great rhythm game.
Space Pirate Trainer is a great arcade arena shooter game.
Gorn is a great arena "brawler" with great ragdoll physics and dismembering and limb tearing mechanic.
Games I did not play:
Budget Cuts was supposed to be amazing stealth game, it underdelivered a bit but it's supposedly good.
Sairento VR is supposedly good, has good reviews, it's a cyberpunk-samurai action with slomo and katanas.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Ok, Studioform impressions! My 'Enthusiast Kit' arrived today which includes both the counterweight wrap (which currently has 4 taped together AA batteries in it) & deluxe strap (which rests on your head under the normal strap and fixes to the top with velcro). I have used it for a couple of hours and I am really happy with it.

xm0It3A.jpg

WA5prby.jpg

The quest has quite frankly been at best uncomfortable and at worst painful since I have had it, I think the longest I have previously played in one go was about 45 mins. I have just played Thumper this evening for an hour and a half and could have easily carried on if I had more time. It took a bit of tweaking to get the fit just right (I basically needed to let out the top strap pretty far) but the padding now makes it so pressure is even (and soft) & the front heaviness is distributed properly over the head.

To be honest, I find it really hard to trust youtube reviews for Quest & VR gear due to the amount of positive reviews there seems to be for complimentary products. As someone who went and purchased this though...it has made the Quest really comfortable to use and means I will be able to use the headset for longer sessions going forward which is really exciting. Playing Thumper was probably the most immersed I have been using the Quest as I was not having to adjust the headset every few minutes.

Also...Thumper is just excellent, very much worth a go at the current steam sale price.

Last edited:

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Nice. I ordered the strap-only version since I already have a USB power bank counterweight. Your positive impressions make me excited to get it, probably Monday or Tuesday.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Can you fit a powerbank in that back compartment?

Yes you could, but probably not one that's too large in my opinion. The back pouch is just a long padded strap which you loop through the back of the headset and use Velcro to fix into place (there also an extra piece of long thin padding that sticks to the bottom of the inside back strap that acts as an anchor and more padding).

I personally think that this probably works better with a lighter weight as the padded area also helps to make a bit of a ridge at the back of the headset that now sits comfortably under the bump at the back of the skull

My one big concern would be if you have a larger head I would worry about the straps being able to pull out far enough to fit all the extra material. My head is pretty small but as you can see from the pictures the straps are quite extended.

Nice. I ordered the strap-only version since I already have a USB power bank counterweight. Your positive impressions make me excited to get it, probably Monday or Tuesday.

Post some impressions when it arrives! Always good to hear how things like this work for different people.

Last edited: