• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I am thinking on finally pulling a trigger on a Frankenquest. I hav a Deluxe Audio Strap from my Vive days, which is now sitting unused.
What is the best method of creating that mod? Is it that design?

I also found this guide, I hope it's good:

My main concern whether Frankenquest is compatible with the official Oculus Quest carrying case.
It's not hard to make it yourself with some Velcro and a d-ring but I just got a 3d printed kit off Etsy for really cheap since I was going to need to order a d-ring anyway. It came with everything needed to do the mod and the parts just snap in place.

Unfortunately I don't think the DAS mod fits in the official Quest case. I've seen make recommendations for other cases that are good for it so that's why I think it might damage the DAS strap having to compress it into the official case.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Ok, Studioform impressions! My 'Enthusiast Kit' arrived today which includes both the counterweight wrap (which currently has 4 taped together AA batteries in it) & deluxe strap (which rests on your head under the normal strap and fixes to the top with velcro). I have used it for a couple of hours and I am really happy with it.

xm0It3A.jpg

WA5prby.jpg

The quest has quite frankly been at best uncomfortable and at worst painful since I have had it, I think the longest I have previously played in one go was about 45 mins. I have just played Thumper this evening for an hour and a half and could have easily carried on if I had more time. It took a bit of tweaking to get the fit just right (I basically needed to let out the top strap pretty far) but the padding now makes it so pressure is even (and soft) & the front heaviness is distributed properly over the head.

To be honest, I find it really hard to trust youtube reviews for Quest & VR gear due to the amount of positive reviews there seems to be for complimentary products. As someone who went and purchased this though...it has made the Quest really comfortable to use and means I will be able to use the headset for longer sessions going forward which is really exciting. Playing Thumper was probably the most immersed I have been using the Quest as I was not having to adjust the headset every few minutes.

Also...Thumper is just excellent, very much worth a go at the current steam sale price.

This is good to hear! I keep jumping back and forth between ordering this or vrcovers updated quest face covers and their Velcro thin foam cover that wraps over the head piece.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
This is good to hear! I keep jumping back and forth between ordering this or vrcovers updated quest face covers and their Velcro thin foam cover that wraps over the head piece.

Can't comment on the head piece cover (have heard pretty good things about it though) however I don't particularly rate the VR covers face covers on the quest. I have got to the point where I rarely use it and have gone back to the normal face mask.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Can't comment on the head piece cover (have heard pretty good things about it though) however I don't particularly rate the VR covers face covers on the quest. I have got to the point where I rarely use it and have gone back to the normal face mask.

Are you using the updated models that came out in September? I read that they messed up the original quest VR cover when it first came out. I am more curious on if the thin Velcro of vrcover combined with studioforms counterweight would work together. I might do some research and then buy those. Maybe the VR cover (not the face foam) to be hygienic.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Are you using the updated models that came out in September? I read that they messed up the original quest VR cover when it first came out. I am more curious on if the thin Velcro of vrcover combined with studioforms counterweight would work together. I might do some research and then buy those. Maybe the VR cover (not the face foam) to be hygienic.

Pretty sure I have the older version to be fair. I did get a free replacement of the plastic part as that was missing a tab that helps to fix it to the bottom. I just don't find the fit particularly comfortable & prefer the original fabric to the VR covers PU leather.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Pretty sure I have the older version to be fair. I did get a free replacement of the plastic part as that was missing a tab that helps to fix it to the bottom. I just don't find the fit particularly comfortable & prefer the original fabric to the VR covers PU leather.

Gotcha. I will get the studioform set and then figure out a hygienic solution for the face when it gets hot again or I use it for long periods.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
So I got a Quest in mid-October, do you think if I contacted Oculus CS and said I got it fairly recently, I could get Vader Immortal as part of the deal?

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Fisherman's Tale VR is a short charming title but unfortunately it is too short. I will love to see more of it

Haven't have the time to get some proper time in The Under Presents, and The Climb is releasing tomorrow for me.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Got myself a right angle connector for the link cable, think it helps to put less stress on the port and stops the cable flexing as much.

I was originally going to wait for the official cable which probably comes with a right angle connector by default but I am pretty happy with the standard 10ft Anker cable so will probably just stick with that.

dW5vSYY.jpg

Last edited:

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Well if the Oculus specs for the official link cable are true the only benefit it gives is length and flexibility of the cable.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Got myself a right angle connector for the link cable, think it helps to put less stress on the port and stops the cable flexing as much.

I was originally going to wait for the official cable which probably comes with a right angle connector by default but I am pretty happy with the standard 10ft Anker cable so will probably just stick with that.

dW5vSYY.jpg
the official one does have a right angle. sadly my cable didn't work out of my new usb ports on my case, just from my motherboard.

Well if the Oculus specs for the official link cable are true the only benefit it gives is length and flexibility of the cable.
they've talked about adding support of usb 3.1 and the link cable is a 3.2 so eventually it might support more data being sent, plus I think the official cable is supposed to be able to charge at the same time. but there won't be anything special for it besides the length really.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
they've talked about adding support of usb 3.1 and the link cable is a 3.2 so eventually it might support more data being sent, plus I think the official cable is supposed to be able to charge at the same time. but there won't be anything special for it besides the length really.
The thing is, the current link limitation isn't even close to maxing out USB3.1 bandwidth. Carmack said that it'll be improved in a later update.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
it shouldn't be close to maxing out 3.1 as the current link is only designed to be used with 3.0 with 3.1 support potentially coming later o.o;
Ahh gotcha. Tbh I hope they have a USB 3.2 mode that improves clarity/bandwidth for Link. I have USB3.2 ports on my motherboard and I'd LOVE to get the most out of them with Link. The image right now is just a bit too soft for me.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh gotcha. Tbh I hope they have a USB 3.2 mode that improves clarity/bandwidth for Link. I have USB3.2 ports on my motherboard and I'd LOVE to get the most out of them with Link. The image right now is just a bit too soft for me.
I made sure my motherboard had a usbc 3.2 port on it when I bought it last week :P

We will have to see how it eventually goes, but obviously getting 3.0 working as well as possible before 3.1 would be the best, then 3.1 before 3.2 ect.

either way it seems to work well already and asgard's wrath looks nice.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I got the VR Covers from well.... VRCovers.
I really like them. I can't even use the "comfort" pad with my glasses though, won't fit. But the standard one is fine.

Don't think I need to do anything else to them. It fits pretty well overall.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
So I caved in and got one of these for "my son" *ahem*..
Besides Beat Saber and the included Star Wars, what are the top 5 must have games on the platform right now? Btw I don't have a VR ready PC so that's out of the question for now. (Sorry if this has been asked already)

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Besides Beat Saber and the included Star Wars, what are the top 5 must have games on the platform right now? Btw I don't have a VR ready PC so that's out of the question for now. (Sorry if this has been asked already)
Super hot is a must.

I honestly haven't played other games enough to definitively say you need them but I've liked what I played of Moss and Robo Recall.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Super hot is a must.

I honestly haven't played other games enough to definitively say you need them but I've liked what I played of Moss and Robo Recall.
Yeah my son was talking to me about Super Hot. I still have some time before Christmas and I know that there are a couple of new releases coming out before then (Arizona Sunshine looks very good!).

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Super hot is a must.

Yes I agree Superhot is a must purchase. It's my favorite VR game. If you want an alternative to Beat Saber, look in to Pistol Whip. It has overtaken Beat Saber as my music / exercise game lately.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017

Pistol Whip and SuperHot are a must. I would maybe look at something other than gun games to go along with, such as Racket NX or Thrill of the Fight.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018

Moss! It's great. Certainly my favourite after Beat Saber & Superhot.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the replies, everyone! It looks like SuperHot and Moss are keepers. I'll download those and Beat Saber on his Quest for Christmas morning, he should be very happy.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Any games for quest that play well sitting? My knee has been hurting something fierce lately so I'd rather not do a lot of standing and bending, but the only one of the games I've gotten so far that seems to play well sitting is beat saber. The others (superhot, Vader immortal, and Pistol Whip) all seem designed purely for standing.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Any games for quest that play well sitting? My knee has been hurting something fierce lately so I'd rather not do a lot of standing and bending, but the only one of the games I've gotten so far that seems to play well sitting is beat saber. The others (superhot, Vader immortal, and Pistol Whip) all seem designed purely for standing.

Moss even tells you that it's for sitting.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Of course after working flawlessly over the past few days, when I go to boot up my quest and use Link it just flat out refuses to work and doesn't give any indication of why.
Ugh. Fuck everything.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Of course after working flawlessly over the past few days, when I go to boot up my quest and use Link it just flat out refuses to work and doesn't give any indication of why.
Ugh. Fuck everything.

Check if you have Public Beta Channel turned on in Settings > Beta and if so turn it off. This broke it for me, although it was a week or so ago.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Climb is my first experience with bad tracking on Quest.
When I saw my Touch controllers at the very beginning and moved them a little I said "What the fuck?" out loud.
The tracking lags like trying to play a Rockstar game on console with motion smoothing enabled on the TV.
It's not just that, either. Rotating the controller in place results in the hands moving through space quite a bit in-game.
Surprisingly it doesn't hinder gameplay much unless I'm trying to do jumping grabs.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Check if you have Public Beta Channel turned on in Settings > Beta and if so turn it off. This broke it for me, although it was a week or so ago.
Checked and it wasn't on, but I think I found the culprit. Viveport software was running in the background and it had an update. Once I killed that, Link started up no problem.

I spent an hour troubleshooting. Trying different ports, rebooting my Quest and PC, even reinstalled my GPU drivers and the Oculus software. In the end it was just HTC's shitty software messing everything up

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I'm so pissed that I didn't know about the frankenmod before and now the Vive headphones are super expensive :(
With my fucked up cervical/neck pain it would've been a godsend 😭

You can research the store for seated experiences. Anyway, I Expect You to Die

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Planning to do the Frankenmod myself soon. No need for the Vive now, afaict. Will probably take it to CEX.

Anyone have a decent guide to the mod?

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Played Arizona Sunshine for an hour and returned it. It is a little rough around the edges and it seems to have some frame rate issues. I also have the game on My PS4 Pro so while the freedom of movement and tracking is way better the rest of the game looks and performs worse. If I didn't have the PS4 version I would keep it but $40 is a bit steep for a worse version of a game I have already played

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Planning to do the Frankenmod myself soon. No need for the Vive now, afaict. Will probably take it to CEX.

Search frankenmod on Reddit and you'll get lots of takes on it.

The only rule that matters, IMO, is you must still add a counter-weight (200 grams or so). DAS is superior because it's rigid. A counter-weight will tilt it off your face in ways just not possible with the stock straps.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Search frankenmod on Reddit and you'll get lots of takes on it.

The only rule that matters, IMO, is you must still add a counter-weight (200 grams or so). DAS is superior because it's rigid. A counter-weight will tilt it off your face in ways just not possible with the stock straps.
Good to know!

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017

Frankenmod is the DAS mod.

You can do a Frankemod without the DAS I thought (using powerpacks and such)? Then I don't get his post 🤷‍♂️
He says he'll do the FM but that there's no need for the Vive's now and he'll take his to CEX (UK chain that buys/sells used tech-related stuff from VGs/consoles to mobile phones etc.)

Coverly

Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone recommend a 16'+ usb cable that would work with the quest to link it to my computer? I know there was a rush of cable buying earlier, just want to know which ones you guys actually got.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone recommend a 16'+ usb cable that would work with the quest to link it to my computer? I know there was a rush of cable buying earlier, just want to know which ones you guys actually got.
At that length you'll need an active USB extension cable and USB-C cable. After my extension and cable I'm at 26 ft which is more than I could possibly need.

JOTO USB Type C Cable Extra Long... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017COHTJ6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

CableCreation Active USB... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0179MXKU8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
You can do a Frankemod without the DAS I thought (using powerpacks and such)? Then I don't get his post 🤷‍♂️
He says he'll do the FM but that there's no need for the Vive's now and he'll take his to CEX (UK chain that buys/sells used tech-related stuff from VGs/consoles to mobile phones etc.)
Sorry, my post wasn't clear. I'm going to use the DAS for the mod and sell my Vive to CEX because I don't need it any more with Quest Link.

Coverly

Oct 28, 2017

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. Yeah this is what I was looking for thanks. I went ahead and ordered them.
No problem, glad I could help! Spent a lot of time looking at cable specs before I made a decision. I would also look around for a 90 degree/right angle USB-C adapter too to try keeping weight off of the port on the Quest.